No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
sons of God #7864053
05/12/23 08:07 AM
05/12/23 08:07 AM

M
Mark June OP
Unregistered
Mark June OP
Unregistered
M

In an effort to not hijack beeverpeelers thread, I thought I'd plop in another thread to keep a worthy biblical topic going. It's always good to be engaged in "Faith seeking understanding." Augustine wrote and taught that in the 4th and 5th centuries and it's still true today. Understanding will not arrive you at faith the Bishop at Hippo stressed, which has shown to be true over the millennia.

The sons of God mentioned in the Genesis 6 has always fascinated the reader. Are they demons from the sky? Lustful men of earth? Who are these dudes? Scholars have long been divided on their interpretations and that's ok. The narrative of God's story remains intact when we do well to read sons of God (bny ho’elohim) in the OT as standing in contrast to "daughters of men (adam)" in the book of Genesis, but not always angels. I confess, I'm inclined to read this text as being "seeds of the Serpent" which would be Cain's lineage more than a heavenly being. But I'm not inspired so I'm not inerrant wink

Most commentaries place heavenly angels here. But are they angels? Of the heavens? Sure they could be. But it's hard to read in "angels" each time this same Hebrew bny ho’elohim is used in the OT. The "sons of God” also appears in Deuteronomy 32, referring to the borders during “the days of old” (Deut 32:7), which were fixed “according to the number of the sons of God” (Deut 32:8). The temporal phrase “days of old” seems to point this passage back to a legendary time, when the sons of God may have been thought to hold power over the nations and that wouldn't seem to be angels..... but more likely mortal men of adamic heritage.

In the book of Job, the “sons of God” appears three times (Job 1:6; 2:1; 38:7). The “sons of God” present themselves before Yahweh, and Satan comes among them (Job 1:6; 2:1). In this context, the sons of God appear to be a sort of divine council or group of lower heavenly beings. They are mentioned only in passing, although one of the main characters, Satan, is one of them. Later, as Yahweh questions Job, he asks where Job was “when the morning stars sang together and all the "sons of God" shouted for joy” (Job 38:7). Again, this seems to refer to a legendary past, perhaps to the period of divine creation and it seems this scene takes place in the heavenlies.

Psalm 82:6 also has the term “sons of Elyon” which is very similar to “sons of God” (bny ho’elohim). Elyon is usually considered synonymous with Yahweh. In this psalm worshipful towards Yahweh as the head of a divine council of gods, the audience is called “sons of Elyon” or “sons of the most high” and is told that “you are gods” (Psa 82:6).

And, the Aramaic phrase “a son of the gods” (bar-elahin) is used to describe the fourth person alive in the midst of the fiery furnace, referring to a divine or semi-divine being who was present (Dan 3:25). This late text may represent the shift in understanding from members of a divine council or lesser gods to the later idea of angels or mere messengers of Yahweh (as the “son of the gods” is later used in Dan 3:28).

So it's all quite interesting and we get a number of context views as we read on into the NT.

In the NT, there's a relationship to the divine and it comes by adoption (Rom 8:15). But are they angels? That's a far stretch by most commentaries. Although as a hospital chaplain, I was surprised by the numbers of people in grave situations that asked me to pray on their behalf to angels. I had no idea how big of a spiritual deal angels have become in our land. I politely let these fine folks know my theology prohibits me from praying to angels but then ask them if we might pray to the One who makes the angels? I've never been told no.
Fascinating how us humans think.

Jesus calls peacemakers “sons of God” (Matt 5:9; Luke 6:35), and "children of God" become so - through faith - in the "Son of God" in Romans 8; and Galatians 3:26).

John 1:12 has "But as many as received Him, to them He gave the right to become "children of God," even to those who believe in His name,"

Romans 8:15–16 reads; "For you have not received a spirit of slavery leading to fear again, but you have received a spirit of adoption as sons by which we cry out, “Abba! Father!” The Spirit Himself testifies with our spirit that we are children of God,"

1 Jn 3:1–10 reads; "See how great a love the Father has bestowed on us, that we would be called children of God; and such we are. For this reason the world does not know us, because it did not know Him. Beloved, now we are children of God, and it has not appeared as…"

I think it'll take an eternity to learn it all. All we can do now is enjoy the joy in knowing the character of God as we read and try to understand all of this.
After all, the revelation of Scripture was always meant for us to know our Creator and fall in love with the One who knew us in our mother's womb.
Mother's Day is this weekend.
Hug your moms and tell them how much God loves mothers.

Blessings!
Mark

Re: sons of God [Re: ] #7864058
05/12/23 08:15 AM
05/12/23 08:15 AM
S.W.Oregon
newhouse114 Offline
trapper
newhouse114  Offline
trapper

S.W.Oregon
Thank you Mark for this dissertation! I’ve often wondered if the same word in Hebrew was used to describe the sons of God and God’s only son?

Life Member NTA & FTA
"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain

http://alaskastoneanivory.com/index
Re: sons of God [Re: ] #7864104
05/12/23 10:15 AM
05/12/23 10:15 AM
mt
I
insanelupus Offline
trapper
insanelupus  Offline
trapper
I

mt
Mark,

A gentleman once pointed out in a Bible Study that maybe their identity isn't necessarily as important to our understanding and that perhaps the fact they were among those to be destroyed was the point and of the most importance. Sometimes, I think that though it's with a heart to know scripture better, I try to reason through things and ideas which belong to God more than I. This has lead me to a place where I am far more comfortable with saying, "I don't know." Sometimes folllowed by, "But God does and that's enough for me. "

Now it came about, when men began to multiply on the face of the land, and daughters were born to them, that the sons of God saw that the daughters of men were beautiful; and they took wives for themselves, whomever they chose. Then the Lord said, “My Spirit shall not strive with man forever, because he also is flesh; nevertheless his days shall be one hundred and twenty years.” The Nephilim were on the earth in those days, and also afterward, when the sons of God came in to the daughters of men, and they bore children to them. Those were the mighty men who were of old, men of renown. Then the Lord saw that the wickedness of man was great on the earth, and that every intent of the thoughts of his heart was only evil continually. The Lord was sorry that He had made man on the earth, and He was grieved in His heart. The Lord said, “I will blot out man whom I have created from the face of the land, from man to animals to creeping things and to birds of the sky; for I am sorry that I have made them.” But Noah found favor in the eyes of the Lord.
Genesis 6:1‭-‬8 NASB1995

Last edited by insanelupus; 05/12/23 10:17 AM.

"My feeling is this, give him plenty of time, plenty of birds, and a little direction, and he'll hunt his heart out for me. That's all I ask."
Re: sons of God [Re: ] #7864113
05/12/23 10:26 AM
05/12/23 10:26 AM
Central Texas
C
Chancey Offline
trapper
Chancey  Offline
trapper
C

Central Texas
Do any of ya'll think the Book of Enoch is credible? It was found in the Dead Sea Scrolls alongside a complete version of Isaiah. Suggests to me that early Christians clearly held the belief of the 'angelic' view of Gen 6.

Whatever the Bene Elohim were, they are IMO a direct creation of God; same as Adam. We are not a direct creation from God, but rather descendants of Adam. Same a Cain, Abel, and Seth.

Resident Conspiracy Theorist
Accused Moron, Nazi, Low IQ, and Putin Fan Boy
Re: sons of God [Re: ] #7864378
05/12/23 06:31 PM
05/12/23 06:31 PM
KY.usa
rex123 Offline
trapper
rex123  Offline
trapper

KY.usa
Why is it when a word does not fit with church teaching it's because that word wasn't translated right? But you can belief the rest cause it fits .

Re: sons of God [Re: rex123] #7864383
05/12/23 06:41 PM
05/12/23 06:41 PM
WI
M
Mando Offline
trapper
Mando  Offline
trapper
M

WI
Originally Posted by rex123
Why is it when a word does not fit with church teaching it's because that word wasn't translated right? But you can belief the rest cause it fits .

Give an example

Re: sons of God [Re: rex123] #7864401
05/12/23 07:20 PM
05/12/23 07:20 PM
Wy
G
Giant Sage Offline
trapper
Giant Sage  Offline
trapper
G

Wy

This is a very open question. What church? What word? The reason there 40000000 denomination is because of disagreements in man's interpretation of scripture. I would like to hear the answer to your ?

Re: sons of God [Re: ] #7864411
05/12/23 07:43 PM
05/12/23 07:43 PM

M
Mark June OP
Unregistered
Mark June OP
Unregistered
M

People too often confuse the faithful seeking answers in Scripture with them fighting.
Worthy study brings grace to the table, same as what redeemed any follower of Christ.
I've been in many great groups of folks seeking to glean meaning from Scripture and 99% of the time there's hugs and see you next week amongst everyone.

As far as translations, English is one of the most general languages in scope and so it can certainly be helpful to read what the original author wrote of you're seeking proper context.
Case in point, the English language has no word for the word "you" in 2nd person plural. Y'all is feasible but isn't typically spoken by most English speakers.
The NT authors, with Paul a striking example used 2nd person plural (meaning you all) A LOT!
So as we read the text in the NT, and we're sailing along with the English "you" in the text and there's another "you" and then yep, another "you".... it'd be quite easy to think the text means just "me."
But the Greek word written is most often 2nd person plural meaning "all of you." Or them. A lot of you's.

Just one of many examples that brings clarity to a text. It is SO helpful and the fact that someone would dive into the original language shows they seek proper context is all.

Blessings,
Mark

Re: sons of God [Re: ] #7864420
05/12/23 07:52 PM
05/12/23 07:52 PM
ND
grumley701 Offline
trapper
grumley701  Offline
trapper

ND
Pastor Mark I appreciate your ministry here.. just an fyi.

Pure Blood
Re: sons of God [Re: ] #7864424
05/12/23 07:58 PM
05/12/23 07:58 PM
Southern Illinois
F
Foxpaw Offline
trapper
Foxpaw  Offline
trapper
F

Southern Illinois
The one word that seems to be troublesome is the word "wine". Some say the Greek means unfermented grape juice. Thus the big miracle that Jesus did at the wedding was make grape juice out of water. Which I'll admit would be out of the ordinary, then they go ahead to say that it was unfermented grape juice at the "Last Supper".
That seems to help their reasoning that all drunks use the miracle of Jesus making wine as an excuse to drink. They can't accept that intoxication is the sin and not the alcohol itself.
So I guess if a little o'l lady that takes a shot of nyquil at bedtime is lost just like y'all that has ever let alcohol touch your lips, esp. after your fathers commandment not to.

Re: sons of God [Re: ] #7864428
05/12/23 08:01 PM
05/12/23 08:01 PM
KY.usa
rex123 Offline
trapper
rex123  Offline
trapper

KY.usa
How about Christ last words on the cross? Protestant version or catholic?

Re: sons of God [Re: rex123] #7864456
05/12/23 08:32 PM
05/12/23 08:32 PM
Yukon
Y
yukon254 Offline
trapper
yukon254  Offline
trapper
Y

Yukon

This can usually be described by three words....."hath god said ?." Satan has been sowing those seeds for a long time.

do unto others as you would have them do unto you

www.grizzlycreeklodge.com
Re: sons of God [Re: grumley701] #7864463
05/12/23 08:49 PM
05/12/23 08:49 PM
MT
S
snowy Offline
trapper
snowy  Offline
trapper
S

MT
Originally Posted by grumley701
Pastor Mark I appreciate your ministry here.. just an fyi.

Times two.

Give me a fish, I will eat for a day. Teach me to fish, I will eat for a lifetime
Re: sons of God [Re: ] #7864497
05/12/23 09:44 PM
05/12/23 09:44 PM
Wy
G
Giant Sage Offline
trapper
Giant Sage  Offline
trapper
G

Wy
Originally Posted by Mark June
People too often confuse the faithful seeking answers in Scripture with them fighting.
Worthy study brings grace to the table, same as what redeemed any follower of Christ.
I've been in many great groups of folks seeking to glean meaning from Scripture and 99% of the time there's hugs and see you next week amongst everyone.

As far as translations, English is one of the most general languages in scope and so it can certainly be helpful to read what the original author wrote of you're seeking proper context.
Case in point, the English language has no word for the word "you" in 2nd person plural. Y'all is feasible but isn't typically spoken by most English speakers.
The NT authors, with Paul a striking example used 2nd person plural (meaning you all) A LOT!
So as we read the text in the NT, and we're sailing along with the English "you" in the text and there's another "you" and then yep, another "you".... it'd be quite easy to think the text means just "me."
But the Greek word written is most often 2nd person plural meaning "all of you." Or them. A lot of you's.

Just one of many examples that brings clarity to a text. It is SO helpful and the fact that someone would dive into the original language shows they seek proper context is all.

Blessings,
Mark

I never new that about the lot, so is casting lots like voting? the lot of you so to speak.
Thou mentioned the use of you and it not being plural in the English. What's interesting is the translators of the AV
Used words such as thou thee and thy as singular, , and ye you your or yours and yea as plural to create a dialect af understanding. At least as far as the KJV translators accuracy was in the context.

Re: sons of God [Re: ] #7864498
05/12/23 09:46 PM
05/12/23 09:46 PM
Northern Illinois
M
MChewk Online content
trapper
MChewk  Online Content
trapper
M

Northern Illinois
Why is it we know only Satan's name...of the sons of God?

Re: sons of God [Re: MChewk] #7864509
05/12/23 10:09 PM
05/12/23 10:09 PM
Wy
G
Giant Sage Offline
trapper
Giant Sage  Offline
trapper
G

Wy
Originally Posted by MChewk

Maybe Satan is the only female angel so it would be awkward to call here a son of God. Pronouns do matter don't you know? Lol sorry, just kidding. That is an interesting thought. I think Mark's opening statement explained different translations of the sons of God.

Re: sons of God [Re: MChewk] #7864528
05/12/23 10:45 PM
05/12/23 10:45 PM
Central Texas
C
Chancey Offline
trapper
Chancey  Offline
trapper
C

Central Texas
Originally Posted by MChewk

Because our OT is the Truth no doubt, but it leaves out a lot of details that require further investigation.

200 fell from Heaven in the days of Jared. There names include Semyaza (Their leader), Arakibal, Rameel, Akibeel, Tamiel, Ramuel, Danel, Ezeqeel, Barake, Asael, Armaros, Batraal, Ananel, Zavebe Samsapeel, Satarel, Turel, Yomyael, and Sariel. These leaders led the rest of the 200 angels that fell during the days of Jared.

I know these are hard pills to swallow for most believers, but it is the only way the Torah makes sense to me in light of Jesus Christ.

When I was a kid, my mom gave me the Septuagint Bible. On the back page she wrote this........

"Remember Lott's wife.....he who looks back turns into a pillar of salt......

Lord God Almighty, we have enough hindsight! We've even dwelt in the past/passed!
Please fill us with your insight and foresight and wisdom and way......
free from every bondage of every person, place, thing, or idea whether inside us or outside us past, present, or future;
and may we choose to free ourselves from the same thoughts or places, things, or actions or beliefs or persons-."

Last edited by Chancey; 05/12/23 11:15 PM.

Re: sons of God [Re: Foxpaw] #7864530
05/12/23 10:50 PM
05/12/23 10:50 PM
Wy
G
Giant Sage Offline
trapper
Giant Sage  Offline
trapper
G

Wy
Originally Posted by Foxpaw
The one word that seems to be troublesome is the word "wine". Some say the Greek means unfermented grape juice. Thus the big miracle that Jesus did at the wedding was make grape juice out of water. Which I'll admit would be out of the ordinary, then they go ahead to say that it was unfermented grape juice at the "Last Supper".
That seems to help their reasoning that all drunks use the miracle of Jesus making wine as an excuse to drink. They can't accept that intoxication is the sin and not the alcohol itself.
So I guess if a little o'l lady that takes a shot of nyquil at bedtime is lost just like y'all that has ever let alcohol touch your lips, esp. after your fathers commandment not to.

Foxpaw it does seem clear in vs 10 of John 2 that ( when men have well drunk, then that which is worse.) That they were intoxicated enough that they had no problem at this point with the cheap wine. Just like the love of money it's not the money that is evil. Or the wine, or the gun. wink

Re: sons of God [Re: ] #7864533
05/12/23 10:55 PM
05/12/23 10:55 PM
Central Texas
C
Chancey Offline
trapper
Chancey  Offline
trapper
C

Central Texas
Enoch 7:

"Each of the two hundred chose a wife for himself and they began to go in unto them and mate with them, and they taught them sorcery and enchantments, and the cutting of roots, and made them acquainted with plants. These women became pregnant and gave birth to great giants, whose height reached up to three thousand ells.

These giants consumed all the food; and when men could no longer sustain them, the giants turned against them and devoured mankind. They also began to sin against birds, and beasts, and reptiles, and fish, and to devour one another's flesh, and drink the blood. Then the earth laid accusations against the lawless ones."

Re: sons of God [Re: Chancey] #7864588
05/13/23 01:06 AM
05/13/23 01:06 AM
Wy
G
Giant Sage Offline
trapper
Giant Sage  Offline
trapper
G

Wy
Originally Posted by Chancey
Enoch 7:

"Each of the two hundred chose a wife for himself and they began to go in unto them and mate with them, and they taught them sorcery and enchantments, and the cutting of roots, and made them acquainted with plants. These women became pregnant and gave birth to great giants, whose height reached up to three thousand ells.

These giants consumed all the food; and when men could no longer sustain them, the giants turned against them and devoured mankind. They also began to sin against birds, and beasts, and reptiles, and fish, and to devour one another's flesh, and drink the blood. Then the earth laid accusations against the lawless ones."

Daughters of men.
Gen 2: 5 and there was not (A MAN) to till the ground
Gen 3: 17 cursed is the ground for thy sake;
Gen 4:1 I have gotten (A MAN) from the Lord
Gen 4: 2 but Cain was a tiller of the ground
Gen 4: 9 Am I my brother's keeper?

Sons of God
John 12:1 But as many as received him, to them gave he power to become the sons of God, even to them that believe in his name
Gen 4:26 And to Seth, to him also there was born a son; and he called his name Enos: then began men to call upon the name of the Lord
Rom 8: 16 The spirit itself beareth witness with our spirit, that we are the children of God.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread