No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
alaska flooding #7866248
05/15/23 08:06 PM
05/15/23 08:06 PM
St. Louis Co, Mo
B
BigBob Offline OP
trapper
BigBob  Offline OP
trapper
B

St. Louis Co, Mo
Ice jams are causing major flooding and evacuations is Alaska, hope our people are all OK!

Every kid needs a Dog and a Curmudgeon.

Remember Bowe Bergdahl, the traitor.

Beware! Jill Pudlewski, Ron Oates and Keven Begesse are liars and thiefs!
Re: alaska flooding [Re: BigBob] #7866255
05/15/23 08:21 PM
05/15/23 08:21 PM
PA
Squaretimber Offline
trapper
Squaretimber  Offline
trapper

PA
Stab Zuray posted some pictures of the Yukon at Tanana. It's full of broken ice but doesn't look flooded yet

Re: alaska flooding [Re: BigBob] #7866336
05/15/23 10:53 PM
05/15/23 10:53 PM
SE NEBRASKA
NebrCatMan Offline
trapper
NebrCatMan  Offline
trapper

SE NEBRASKA
On one of the TV reality shows.... I don't remember which one... but the one that had Andy (can't remember last name) on it.... He lost alot of his buildings and cabin site years ago when the river he lives by had huge ice chunks on it. Made the water rise super fast and super high. It can be life threatening !

Remember "Forbidden Fruit makes many Jams"
Re: alaska flooding [Re: NebrCatMan] #7866484
05/16/23 10:22 AM
05/16/23 10:22 AM
Fairbanks, Alaska
Pete in Frbks Offline
trapper
Pete in Frbks  Offline
trapper

Fairbanks, Alaska
Originally Posted by NebrCatMan
On one of the TV reality shows.... I don't remember which one... but the one that had Andy (can't remember last name) on it.... He lost alot of his buildings and cabin site years ago when the river he lives by had huge ice chunks on it. Made the water rise super fast and super high. It can be life threatening !

That's Andy Bassich. He is at Calico Bluff, on the Yukon River between Eagle and Circle City. Both those villages have had flooding the last couple days. I've seen nothing on the news about the portion of the river between those villages, but its safe to assume that it has been dicey if not destructive.

It's been (and continues to be...) a rough breakup along the Yukon and Kuskokwim rivers. Ain't over yet.

Pete

Re: alaska flooding [Re: BigBob] #7866504
05/16/23 11:05 AM
05/16/23 11:05 AM
Moved to Fbks, Ak.
M
martentrapper Offline
trapper
martentrapper  Offline
trapper
M

Moved to Fbks, Ak.
Andy lives a few miles downriver from Eagle, on the Yukon River. Eagle had some flooding, left a lot of ice on a road. Don't know about Andy. Next town down the river, Circle, had really high water. Cabins floated away.

Re: alaska flooding [Re: BigBob] #7866541
05/16/23 01:18 PM
05/16/23 01:18 PM
Bush Alaska
victor#0 Offline
trapper
victor#0  Offline
trapper

Bush Alaska
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
We got hit hard on Circle. Was able to get my boat in, dodging ice chunks, houses, and cars to rescue people stuck in the mess. It was a long and crazy night!

Re: alaska flooding [Re: BigBob] #7866544
05/16/23 01:22 PM
05/16/23 01:22 PM
MT
S
snowy Offline
trapper
snowy  Offline
trapper
S

MT
I sure hope all are safe and so sorry for your loses. I wish you all the best and it is a rough time when flooding happens. Not to many years ago 10 homes and many personal item were destroyed by flooding in my area.

Thanks so much for the pictures and I hope for the best to all Alaskans.

Give me a fish, I will eat for a day. Teach me to fish, I will eat for a lifetime
Re: alaska flooding [Re: BigBob] #7866642
05/16/23 05:12 PM
05/16/23 05:12 PM
ND
M
MJM Offline
trapper
MJM  Offline
trapper
M

ND
The year I was in Galena it flooded pretty bad. The base had a dike around it to keep it from flooding. The evacuated the base to Elmendorf AFB. I was one of about eight people that stayed. Me and a buddy ended up going and getting four Alascom workers (phone company) off their com site. We took three canoes and went through a sot ball diamond and through the trees to the road. The trees screen the big ice chunks. They had been stuck at the communication site for three days. We picked them up so they could get a shower and hot meal. They took the canoes back. The ice flowed down the Yukon and jammed up at Bishop Rock. That was the first sharp corner on the river below Galena. They said the Yukon was three mile wide then it flooded. The water was deep enough in town they closed Hobo's, the bar. There was ice chunks on the road after the water went down they could not push with a D-9 cat. They ended up using two and moving one end at a time. It was something to see.

"Not Really, Not Really"
Mark J Monti
"MJM you're a jerk."
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread