No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: “No Accident” CWD Documentary [Re: Shakeyjake] #7901742
07/08/23 01:32 PM
07/08/23 01:32 PM
Wisconsin
B
Bear Tracker Offline
trapper
Bear Tracker  Offline
trapper
B

Wisconsin
Global warming, Covid, CWD, etc. etc. etc. The sky is falling. Did it exist before testing for it? I surmise most likely yes. Lots of jobs were created and maintained with this and many other politically motivated issues.

Re: “No Accident” CWD Documentary [Re: Shakeyjake] #7901745
07/08/23 01:36 PM
07/08/23 01:36 PM
Sumner, Mo.
C
claycreech Offline
trapper
claycreech  Offline
trapper
C

Sumner, Mo.
It makes no sense to me how these many years later, and the hundreds of millions of tax dollars spent, the powers that be knows no more about it today than when it first came on the radar.

Re: “No Accident” CWD Documentary [Re: Swamp Wolf] #7901778
07/08/23 03:34 PM
07/08/23 03:34 PM
james bay frontierOnt.
B
Boco Online content
trapper
Boco  Online Content
trapper
B

james bay frontierOnt.
Originally Posted by Swamp Wolf
When the 1st human contracts it from eating venison....like is possible with mad cow disease...it will be a sad day.

Probably improve the IQ of some.

Forget that fear of gravity-get a little savagery in your life.
Re: “No Accident” CWD Documentary [Re: claycreech] #7901785
07/08/23 03:56 PM
07/08/23 03:56 PM
Texas USA
I
IWM Offline
trapper
IWM  Offline
trapper
I

Texas USA
IMO-

CWD is more of a political disease than biological. Like Covid, it has been weaponized to accomplish hidden agendas of many game departments regarding cervid management & movement.
In past few years, there has been millions of taxpayer dollars allocated to states for CWD "research" and control. Follow the $$.

Like BSE & scrapie variants, this prion disease has probably been around forever. Recently elevated incidence of CWD is direct result of increased testing; via popular captive deer facilities and high-fenced management enclosures. This has led to both voluntary and mandatory testing of wild deer to broaden the sampling range. More testing= more detection.

Unlike elk & mule deer, vast majority of whitetails don't live long enough to become clinically symptomatic. In 40 years of surveying hundreds of thousands of whitetails (captive & wild) from Great Lakes to Old Mexico, I have never seen a whitetail that showed clinical symptoms. This includes deer that have tested positive (detected) for prions. I'm sure they are out there, but my point being if CWD was such a widespread threat to whitetail populations, why haven't I seen even one during hundreds of aerial & ground surveys?

As a wildlife biologist, I interact with a large group of opinionated professionals on this subject and one thing is certain; there are many more unknowns about CWD than knowns. Euthanizing thousands of deer to control a disease that is spontaneously occurring or transmitted by insects, birds, soil, feed, etc., is not effective.

Re: “No Accident” CWD Documentary [Re: claycreech] #7901787
07/08/23 04:00 PM
07/08/23 04:00 PM
illinois
J
jalstat Offline
trapper
jalstat  Offline
trapper
J

illinois
Originally Posted by claycreech
It makes no sense to me how these many years later, and the hundreds of millions of tax dollars spent, the powers that be knows no more about it today than when it first came on the radar.

Exactly it’s easy to spend money that isn’t yours. Government solves nothing if it was that bad a private entity would solve the problem if there is money to be made

Re: “No Accident” CWD Documentary [Re: tlguy] #7901818
07/08/23 04:58 PM
07/08/23 04:58 PM
South Ga - Almost Florida
S
Swamp Wolf Offline
trapper
Swamp Wolf  Offline
trapper
S

Originally Posted by tlguy
Originally Posted by Swamp Wolf
[quote=Bear Tracker]

All CURRENT guidelines are to NOT eat venison of known CWD-positive deer. In a lab setting, monkeys were fed/injected prions from/in venison and they contracted CWD. So, is it ultimately possible? I pray that I never bring home venison and cause the death of my family or myself.

Is that the same study where they injected the prions into the monkeys' brains then tested them and found the presence of prions?

Fact is people have been eating deer infected with CWD for 60 years since we've know about it, and probably longer than that. Statistically there's about a 25% infection rate in the heart of CWD zone in SW WI, and only 3,000 of the 15,000 deer harvested in Richland, Sauk and Iowa counties were tested for CWD. That's thousands of CWD positive deer that are sitting in people's freezers right now.

Sorta like Russian Roulette.....all it takes is one person to contract it and die....

Thank God For Your Blessings!
Never Half-Arse Anything!

Resource Protection Service

Re: “No Accident” CWD Documentary [Re: Shakeyjake] #7901821
07/08/23 05:01 PM
07/08/23 05:01 PM
S
Swamp Wolf Offline
trapper
Swamp Wolf  Offline
trapper
S

Read somewhere last week that wild felines (cougars and bobcats) have something in their digestive tract that is "destroying/suppressing" the prions in consumed venison. The cats don't seem to be re-distributing the prions.

Thank God For Your Blessings!
Never Half-Arse Anything!

Resource Protection Service

Re: “No Accident” CWD Documentary [Re: Shakeyjake] #7901883
07/08/23 07:45 PM
07/08/23 07:45 PM
Winter Springs, Florida
D
Davexx1 Offline
trapper
Davexx1  Offline
trapper
D

Winter Springs, Florida
I recently read that a road killed deer in North Florida has tested positive for CWD. That's not good!

Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread