No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Just pay more! [Re: Donnersurvivor] #7971237
10/14/23 07:18 AM
10/14/23 07:18 AM
Wisconsin
E
Eagleye Offline
trapper
Eagleye  Offline
trapper
E

Wisconsin
No need to work harder than anyone else or work at all when the new American Dream becomes the redistribution of wealth.

Re: Just pay more! [Re: Donnersurvivor] #7971259
10/14/23 07:59 AM
10/14/23 07:59 AM
Manitoba
Shakeyjake Offline
trapper
Shakeyjake  Offline
trapper

Manitoba
An actual certified arborist here isn’t cheap.
But I saw Mc Donald’s in Grand Forks last fall with a sign saying $18 starting! And this summer in a small town in Minnesota $20 starting at a gas station. I gotta get my green card and work there when I retire. Is that why it’s harder to find deals in the states? Cabelas used to be pretty good, but now I just look for stuff that we can’t get here.

Wind Blew, crap flew, out came the line crew
Re: Just pay more! [Re: Donnersurvivor] #7971278
10/14/23 08:20 AM
10/14/23 08:20 AM
coastal ny
G
gcs Offline
trapper
gcs  Offline
trapper
G

coastal ny
Most of the tree guys here use boom trucks, haven't seen a tree climber in years, probably cause they can't find one....

Re: Just pay more! [Re: gcs] #7971300
10/14/23 08:51 AM
10/14/23 08:51 AM
MN
D
Donnersurvivor Offline OP
trapper
Donnersurvivor  Offline OP
trapper
D

MN
Originally Posted by gcs
Most of the tree guys here use boom trucks, haven't seen a tree climber in years, probably cause they can't find one....

We specialize in doing what boom trucks can't.

Ground guys make 25 to 30 per hour. If I could find a full time climber 50+ per hour would be realistic.

The economy is starting to shift, part of the reason we are so busy is because builders are doing their spring work after getting fall and winter cancelations due to interest rates. I predict a lot of new companies will be out of business in 12 months, especially if they financed their trucks and equipment at close to 10%

Re: Just pay more! [Re: beachcomber13] #7971309
10/14/23 09:07 AM
10/14/23 09:07 AM
Indiana
P
Providence Farm Offline
trapper
Providence Farm  Offline
trapper
P

Indiana
Originally Posted by beachcomber13
No doubt there are a lot of people who simply don't want to work but there is also a growing number of people who have heard all their life that you'll never get rich working for someone else. Therefore, many people with just a year or two of experience in the trades run right out and start working for themselves. I don't blame them, I did it myself. No sense in making peanuts when you can get the walnuts. I'll admit, I didn't know as much as I thought I did and ended up going back to work for a company. A while later I was out on my own again and haven't had a boss in over twenty years.

Every costumer is a boss so you have many bosses instead of one. That's not geting into taxes and government regs. It's kind of like what we n we think we own our home and land. Tell tax time.

Got to say 100 an hour sounds good until you figure taxes, buying health insurance, and if it's steady.

Sure I make 450 or more per hr at times 900 doing tree work. Sounds good tell you remember that's not included time giving estimates, working on equipment, equipment cost and other business cost.

Yep I'm happier at $28 and change punching the clock with great healt care at a good cost, pension, 401 6% match and all the ot I want. Currently made over 103k for the year only working one more day this month and 7 next month. Have 4 week paid vacation.. sometimes it's more about the package.

Re: Just pay more! [Re: Providence Farm] #7971321
10/14/23 09:26 AM
10/14/23 09:26 AM
MN
D
Donnersurvivor Offline OP
trapper
Donnersurvivor  Offline OP
trapper
D

MN

Originally Posted by Providence Farm

Every costumer is a boss so you have many bosses instead of one. That's not geting into taxes and government regs. It's kind of like what we n we think we own our home and land. Tell tax time.

Got to say 100 an hour sounds good until you figure taxes, buying health insurance, and if it's steady.

Sure I make 450 or more per hr at times 900 doing tree work. Sounds good tell you remember that's not included time giving estimates, working on equipment, equipment cost and other business cost.

Yep I'm happier at $28 and change punching the clock with great healt care at a good cost, pension, 401 6% match and all the ot I want. Currently made over 103k for the year only working one more day this month and 7 next month. Have 4 week paid vacation.. sometimes it's more about the package.

People don't understand why I'm tempted to take a $30 per hour job when I can gross 5 digits a week working for myself, gross ain't net and there can be tremendous stress running your own business

Re: Just pay more! [Re: Donnersurvivor] #7971337
10/14/23 09:40 AM
10/14/23 09:40 AM
Indiana
P
Providence Farm Offline
trapper
Providence Farm  Offline
trapper
P

Indiana
Originally Posted by Donnersurvivor

People don't understand why I'm tempted to take a $30 per hour job when I can gross 5 digits a week working for myself, gross ain't net and there can be tremendous stress running your own business

It is near impossible to be the estimator, Forman, hr department, accountant, and mechanic and have any time left to do the jobs. Heck you would be luckey to get 2 or 3 days a week cutting trees and that's not counting rain or other weather problems. Finding people you trust and letting some of that responsibility go to them is not something I was ever good at.

Re: Just pay more! [Re: Donnersurvivor] #7971340
10/14/23 09:44 AM
10/14/23 09:44 AM
Alaska and Washington State
W
waggler Offline
trapper
waggler  Offline
trapper
W

Alaska and Washington State
I can't get a neighbor kid to mow my lawn for $40. It takes less than 45 minutes.

"My life is better than your vacation"
Re: Just pay more! [Re: Providence Farm] #7971342
10/14/23 09:45 AM
10/14/23 09:45 AM
WI
WI Outdoors Offline
trapper
WI Outdoors  Offline
trapper

WI
Originally Posted by beachcomber13
No doubt there are a lot of people who simply don't want to work but there is also a growing number of people who have heard all their life that you'll never get rich working for someone else. Therefore, many people with just a year or two of experience in the trades run right out and start working for themselves. I don't blame them, I did it myself. No sense in making peanuts when you can get the walnuts. I'll admit, I didn't know as much as I thought I did and ended up going back to work for a company. A while later I was out on my own again and haven't had a boss in over twenty years.

Most Entrepreneurs go into business for themselves for the freedom is what I've heard.

Re: Just pay more! [Re: Donnersurvivor] #7971348
10/14/23 10:03 AM
10/14/23 10:03 AM
lewis county,new york
N
newfox1 Offline
trapper
newfox1  Offline
trapper
N

lewis county,new york
Nothing wrong with wanting to be your own man, but you don’t say you’ll be there and not show, not call, or make up some lamé excuse because you can’t get up, or you drink to much. It nothing new, but is pretty common nowadays.

Re: Just pay more! [Re: waggler] #7971359
10/14/23 10:30 AM
10/14/23 10:30 AM
MN
S
Steven 49er Offline
trapper
Steven 49er  Offline
trapper
S

MN
Originally Posted by waggler
I can't get a neighbor kid to mow my lawn for $40. It takes less than 45 minutes.

Are you supplying the e mower and gas?

"Gold is money, everything else is just credit" JP Morgan
Re: Just pay more! [Re: Steven 49er] #7971424
10/14/23 12:33 PM
10/14/23 12:33 PM
East-Central Wisconsin
B
bblwi Offline
trapper
bblwi  Offline
trapper
B

East-Central Wisconsin
Millions choose to live pay check to pay check as they manage their work hours or days to meet a budget they choose live with. If a family or a person is satisfied with say X$ per week and they can do that in say 32 hours they can then choose to not work any more. Very short term thinking but then we have learned that from businesses publishing quarterly reports for decades. Long term planning for many is not an ability issue it is that they find it boring in our live in the moment world of today.

Bryce

Re: Just pay more! [Re: Donnersurvivor] #7971499
10/14/23 02:30 PM
10/14/23 02:30 PM
Ohio
S
stinkypete Offline
trapper
stinkypete  Offline
trapper
S

Ohio
Absolutely no incentive to work. Government pays rent, electric, child care, phone, groceries, health insurance, secondary schooling, etc…….
The dead beats no the system and know it well.
Work harder everyone. So the others don’t have too…))))))))!!!!!

Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread