No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Re: Removing monument from Arlington [Re: warrior] #8028056
12/22/23 02:32 PM
12/22/23 02:32 PM
Smithsburg, MD
J.C. Offline
trapper
J.C.  Offline
trapper

Smithsburg, MD
Originally Posted by warrior
Originally Posted by J.C.
So, perhaps if you did your research you would find that the CW was an expansive and dynamic conflict

J.C.

Name direct ancestors and kin that served, the units they were in and the battle record of said units.

When you can do that then maybe you can understand and honestly discuss the real reasons men fought and died.

Peter Janet. 96th NY INF Mustered out of Malone NY. Wounded at Cold Harbor. Died of wounds in Washington DC hospital

To a person ignorant of nature, his country stroll is a walk through a gallery filled with wonderful works of art with their faces turned to the wall
Re: Removing monument from Arlington [Re: ] #8028058
12/22/23 02:37 PM
12/22/23 02:37 PM
Smithsburg, MD
J.C. Offline
trapper
J.C.  Offline
trapper

Smithsburg, MD
It takes a lot to offend me. So no it doesn’t. It was. A horrible part of American history

To a person ignorant of nature, his country stroll is a walk through a gallery filled with wonderful works of art with their faces turned to the wall
Re: Removing monument from Arlington [Re: rex123] #8028064
12/22/23 02:51 PM
12/22/23 02:51 PM
South Ga - Almost Florida
S
Swamp Wolf Offline
trapper
Swamp Wolf  Offline
trapper
S

Originally Posted by rex123
You confuse me JC. As I understand what you said you have a problem with those who fought for the south because of what they were defending was wrong sort of the moral high ground. And yet you said you were a Catholic so the part that I can't understand is some one with such a high morale standard could support a religion that treated natives in south America like animals, took native children away from their families in Canada and caused their death, tortured people off an own for decades, and tries to hide their clergy who have molested children from punishment . Could you please explain that?

^^^and there that is ^^^^

I'd like to hear JC's take on this, too.

Maybe he's well read & researched on this also.

Thank God For Your Blessings!
Never Half-Arse Anything!

Resource Protection Service

Re: Removing monument from Arlington [Re: James] #8028067
12/22/23 02:53 PM
12/22/23 02:53 PM
Coldspring Texas
Savell Offline
"Wilbur"
Savell  Offline
"Wilbur"

Coldspring Texas
Originally Posted by James
So what if most Southerners fighting in the CW didn't own slaves? Average Joe Farmer was sold a bill of goods by the Southern power elite, which did own slaves.

In the same way, Bush/Cheney sold the American people a bill of goods in getting our support for invading Iraq. Good young people answering the call and some were killed for nothing.

Jim

… my ancestors fought and Did unapologetically own a few slaves ..and they weren’t cheap

…. I deserve refunderations

Insert profound nonsense here
Re: Removing monument from Arlington [Re: hippie] #8028070
12/22/23 02:59 PM
12/22/23 02:59 PM
Coldspring Texas
Savell Offline
"Wilbur"
Savell  Offline
"Wilbur"

Coldspring Texas
… I got so much to do around here I’d settle for a 50 year old crackhead at this point

Re: Removing monument from Arlington [Re: Savell] #8028124
12/22/23 04:14 PM
12/22/23 04:14 PM
MD
D
DaveP Offline
trapper
DaveP  Offline
trapper
D

MD
Originally Posted by Savell
… I got so much to do around here I’d settle for a 50 year old crackhead at this point

Here you go meth mouth and all!
Should fit right in, I hear he's a Hunter...

[Linked Image]

Re: Removing monument from Arlington [Re: hippie] #8028209
12/22/23 07:05 PM
12/22/23 07:05 PM
AZ
D
dixieland Offline
trapper
dixieland  Offline
trapper
D

AZ
A Confederate flag will proudly and respectfully hang in my house, until the day I die.

Re: Removing monument from Arlington [Re: Savell] #8028315
12/22/23 09:13 PM
12/22/23 09:13 PM
ny
U
upstateNY Offline
trapper
upstateNY  Offline
trapper
U

ny
Originally Posted by Savell
Originally Posted by James
So what if most Southerners fighting in the CW didn't own slaves? Average Joe Farmer was sold a bill of goods by the Southern power elite, which did own slaves.

In the same way, Bush/Cheney sold the American people a bill of goods in getting our support for invading Iraq. Good young people answering the call and some were killed for nothing.

Jim

… my ancestors fought and Did unapologetically own a few slaves ..and they weren’t cheap

…. I deserve refunderations

Im in a Northern State.Wheres my reperations for freeing the slaves?

the wheels of the gods turn very slowly
Re: Removing monument from Arlington [Re: hippie] #8028325
12/22/23 09:22 PM
12/22/23 09:22 PM
S
Swamp Wolf Offline
trapper
Swamp Wolf  Offline
trapper
S

Savell and upstateny,
J.C.'s gonna cut ya'll a check.Get with him.

Re: Removing monument from Arlington [Re: hippie] #8028430
12/22/23 11:32 PM
12/22/23 11:32 PM
Coldspring Texas
Savell Offline
"Wilbur"
Savell  Offline
"Wilbur"

Coldspring Texas
… you’d owe me upstate .. y’all opened the gate without the owners consent

.. refunderations … I take Venmo

Re: Removing monument from Arlington [Re: hippie] #8028745
12/23/23 11:29 AM
12/23/23 11:29 AM
Adirondacks, NY
Fisher Man Offline
trapper
Fisher Man  Offline
trapper

Adirondacks, NY
The Civil War was a terrible black mark on our nation's history,but regardless of either side those monuments should be left alone, not destroyed to appease some people.
My great grandfather served with the Ohio infantry. His brother served with Pennsylvania and was wounded twice. His brother - in law, William Speagle, was wounded at Cold Harbor, died a week
later and is buried in the national cemetary in Alexandria, Virginia.

Re: Removing monument from Arlington [Re: J.C.] #8028776
12/23/23 12:04 PM
12/23/23 12:04 PM
Armpit, ak
D
Dirt Offline
trapper
Dirt  Offline
trapper
D

Armpit, ak
Originally Posted by Swamp Wolf
Slavery was already on the way out...as it should've been. It would've been outlawed, even in the deep South, in a few more years. That war WASN'T about slavery.

My ancestors weren't pressed into service....they volunteered.

J.C., you are disillusioned. I'm not sure when you served in our military, but if it was during the 2nd part of the Iraq campaign, then our government sent you there to kill Iraqis because our government said they had weapons of mass destruction. Were any found? Did our government send our troops there to possibly die for such a false thing? If this was the campaign you served in...do you feel like you were justified in serving our country under those circumstances? I'm sure you still love our country even though our government lied to you and put you in harm's way.

Let us not perpetuate the hate you have for something you are wrong about.

So a bit on my military service. I served in the initial push with 4ID and was in Iraq 3 times. Each one I saw a people come out from under the burden of tyranny. Was I there because George Bush sent me, sure, did I see missiles and rockets, sure did, Were they weapons of mass destruction, that could have taken out my folks, yep. So I do feel justified being there. It was an honor. I liberated them. And I am glad we did it. I do know for a fact the government lies. I am a firm believer in "If you thought the problems the government caused were bad, wait till you see their solutions." I know for a fact any private entity can do virtually anything better than the government. I was also in Afghanistan and was part of a task force that was going to improve their telecommunication infrastructure. I am certain that we would have succeeded had the Grifter in chief not pulled my brothers and sisters out. I love this land. I know that the people in it are blessed to be so abundant and prosperous. I know there is an opportunity to give back, but the solution lies not in the state but in the people themselves. When I say I hate the concept of slavery, I mean it. In all its forms. It still goes on to this day. Mostly in the form of sex trafficking. I am a libertarian by nature but a humane one with deep-seated unapologetic Catholic Christian values.

Forgive my pontification Swamp but I am very proud of who I am and what I bled for.

Appears these super patriots forgot something. Thank you for your service!

P.S. you should probably wipe their spit off.

Last edited by Dirt; 12/23/23 12:06 PM.

Who is John Galt?
Re: Removing monument from Arlington [Re: hippie] #8028872
12/23/23 02:03 PM
12/23/23 02:03 PM
Smithsburg, MD
J.C. Offline
trapper
J.C.  Offline
trapper

Smithsburg, MD
There's so many great comments I can hardly keep up.

Re: Removing monument from Arlington [Re: hippie] #8028896
12/23/23 02:30 PM
12/23/23 02:30 PM
pa
H
hippie Offline OP
trapper
hippie  Offline OP
trapper
H

pa
You may feel justified in your service J.C., but 100 years down the road will people look back on you like you're looking back on people who felt justified back then?

Hind site is 20-20.

Re: Removing monument from Arlington [Re: hippie] #8028908
12/23/23 02:58 PM
12/23/23 02:58 PM
UP of Michigan
B
billy Offline
trapper
billy  Offline
trapper
B

UP of Michigan
all i can say is no way should a statue for soldiers that died on battlefield fighting for thier believes be removed from the battlefield.

Billy
Re: Removing monument from Arlington [Re: billy] #8028918
12/23/23 03:17 PM
12/23/23 03:17 PM
Smithsburg, MD
J.C. Offline
trapper
J.C.  Offline
trapper

Smithsburg, MD
Originally Posted by billy
all i can say is no way should a statue for soldiers that died on battlefield fighting for thier believes be removed from the battlefield.

Should we say the same thing about German and Japanese soldiers.

And frankly, when I'm dead and gone I could care less.

Re: Removing monument from Arlington [Re: J.C.] #8028920
12/23/23 03:19 PM
12/23/23 03:19 PM
MD
D
DaveP Offline
trapper
DaveP  Offline
trapper
D

MD
Originally Posted by DaveP
JC

So by your measure, veterans of the Revolutionary War were also traitors.
I mean, after all the good King did for them, those lousy ingrates...

Let's take the RW as an example and try to find the cause for a "just war". Take into account that the RW was fought after extensive diplomatic missions had failed, and that the war was a last resort to expel unfair colonial-style rule. In essence, it makes a class of people subservient to another group. Sound familiar. The liberation of a group of people was the final rallying cry of the Union. It was codified by the toothless document known as the Emancipation Proclamation. So seeing as how yes there were awful people who owned r@ped, and persecuted other humans they deemed as their property, the necessary horror that was War was as just as war can be.

But these so called revolutionaries, proto- Americans if you will, also ENSLAVED people!!!
So they were traitors AND slavery proponents!!!!

LOL, "unfair colonial.style rule" by whose standard?
Certainly not the King's, nor the Loyalists!
Yours perhaps, 250 years later?

So dig up our founders and all those disloyal to the Crown, slavers to boot!

Your own words; "A rebellious force who perpetuates owning people has no place next to my fallen friends."

Will there be anyone left in your graveyard of heros, once history is erased and rewritten?

Re: Removing monument from Arlington [Re: J.C.] #8028922
12/23/23 03:22 PM
12/23/23 03:22 PM
MD
D
DaveP Offline
trapper
DaveP  Offline
trapper
D

MD
Originally Posted by billy

Should we say the same thing about German and Japanese soldiers.

And frankly, when I'm dead and gone I could care less.

As I pointed out in the original thread, the plaque commerating the first US General killed in action in WWII was also taken down. SOMEONE found it offensive....

His crime?
Simply his name, Nathan Bedford Forrest III

Re: Removing monument from Arlington [Re: hippie] #8028942
12/23/23 04:09 PM
12/23/23 04:09 PM
S
Swamp Wolf Offline
trapper
Swamp Wolf  Offline
trapper
S

I was gonna reply again on this thread, but hippe, billy, and DaveP has the ball and carried it across the goal line....

Re: Removing monument from Arlington [Re: J.C.] #8028955
12/23/23 04:27 PM
12/23/23 04:27 PM
west virginia usa
R
randall brannon Offline
trapper
randall brannon  Offline
trapper
R

west virginia usa
A rebellious force who perpetuates owning people has no place next to my fallen friends

You obviously cannot fix Bigotry. I guess Stupid is the only thing that is permanent.

God please keep they 19 fallen UBB miners out of trouble up there.
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread