No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Need Help with NO-BS K9 Jr's #8059954
01/25/24 05:28 PM
01/25/24 05:28 PM
NY
Belo Offline OP
trapper
Belo  Offline OP
trapper

NY
Hi everyone,

Longtime hunter, new trapper from upstate NY here. Been reading a lot on this site and was able to join. I have 6 of these traps. They are 4 coil laminated and I did not wax them as there is only a few weeks of the season left and they're already dyed. I'm having issues setting the nite latch. The very first trap I set in my garage latched just fine. Now I'm having issue with some and not with others, meaning I go to set the latch and the whole trap just goes off in my hand. I repeated this several times until finally for no reason they seem to click.

I also ordered a tension tester and despite loosening the bolt as I've seen online, the tension is still > than 4 pounds. Finally, one of my traps is setting at a downward angle and not flat. I've really struggled to find any instructions or directions for these traps and came here for help. I know there are other adjustments, but didn't want to mess with anything without knowing what to do.

PS caught my first yote 3rd day in but since then it's been either 2' of snow and single digit freezing or now it's wet and muddy so most of my sets are struggling lol.

thanks in advance for having me and the advice.

Last edited by Belo; 01/26/24 10:19 AM.
Re: New Help with NO-BS K9 Jr's [Re: Belo] #8059968
01/25/24 05:41 PM
01/25/24 05:41 PM
Rodney,Ohio
SNIPERBBB Online happy
trapper
SNIPERBBB  Online Happy
trapper

Rodney,Ohio
might check the where the pan attaches to the trap to be sure theres no slop/binding.

Re: New Help with NO-BS K9 Jr's [Re: Belo] #8059994
01/25/24 06:32 PM
01/25/24 06:32 PM
MO
C
Crappiekiller Offline
trapper
Crappiekiller  Offline
trapper
C

MO
You can adjust the pan height by loosing the 2 nuts on the bottom of the pan assembly and move either in or out by tapping on it and retighten once you get it level. I waxed over 6 dozen of them after I had set the pan tension and then had to go back and remove the wax. If I had to do over, I would have just boiled and not waxed. They are great traps.

Good luck

CK
Re: New Help with NO-BS K9 Jr's [Re: Belo] #8060003
01/25/24 06:47 PM
01/25/24 06:47 PM
NY
whartonrattrappe Offline
trapper
whartonrattrappe  Offline
trapper

NY
Originally Posted by Belo
Hi everyone,

Longtime hunter, new trapper from upstate NY here. Been reading a lot on this site and was able to join. I have 6 of these traps. They are 4 coil laminated and I did not wax them as there is only a few weeks of the season left and they're already dyed. I'm having issues setting the nite latch. The very first trap I set in my garage latched just fine. Now I'm having issue with some and not with others, meaning I go to set the latch and the whole trap just goes off in my hand. I repeated this several times until finally for no reason they seem to click.

I also ordered a tension tester and despite loosening the bolt as I've seen online, the tension is still > than 4 pounds. Finally, one of my traps is setting at a downward angle and not flat. I've really struggled to find any instructions or directions for these traps and came here for help. I know there are other adjustments, but didn't want to mess with anything without knowing what to do.

PS caught my first yote 3rd day in but since then it's been either 2' of snow and single digit freezing or now it's wet and muddy so most of my sets are struggling lol.

thanks in advance for having me and the advice.

Belo, I replied to your post on nyw and w. So you can keep it your journal.
Tony

Re: New Help with NO-BS K9 Jr's [Re: Belo] #8060004
01/25/24 06:49 PM
01/25/24 06:49 PM
Southeast Iowa
P
prohunter1972 Offline
trapper
prohunter1972  Offline
trapper
P

Southeast Iowa
Id be curious how you are setting your latch. I had this same issue until I seen Kendall do it and ask him about it, now I have no issues at all setting them even in a hurry.

Re: New Help with NO-BS K9 Jr's [Re: Belo] #8060009
01/25/24 07:00 PM
01/25/24 07:00 PM
MO
C
Crappiekiller Offline
trapper
Crappiekiller  Offline
trapper
C

MO
I learned the hard way to put either my thumb or finger under the pan when setting.

CK
Re: New Help with NO-BS K9 Jr's [Re: Belo] #8060017
01/25/24 07:16 PM
01/25/24 07:16 PM
Indiana
B
bluegrassman Offline
trapper
bluegrassman  Offline
trapper
B

Indiana
On the trap where the pan doesn’t sit level, under the pan there is a carriage bolt that goes down through the cross frame with a nut on the bottom. Loosen the nut up and you can slide the pan back and forth . Slide it towards the loose jaw to raise the pan or towards the lockdown jaw to lower it.

On the pan tension, take a flat blade screw driver and scrape the pan notch and the shelf of the jaw where the pan catches. The coating has a rough texture to it and by scraping those two points of contact smoothing them both off will lower pan tension.

Most people like to set there pan up past the nightlatch and then lower it down so they can hear the click. On those traps I just set it in the nightlatch to begin with.

Anyone that owns a gun and votes democrat deserves to have there gun taken, cause they truly are too stupid to own a gun.
Re: New Help with NO-BS K9 Jr's [Re: Belo] #8060082
01/25/24 08:46 PM
01/25/24 08:46 PM
West Tennessee
D
doublesettrigger Offline
trapper
doublesettrigger  Offline
trapper
D

West Tennessee
Set that trap above the nite latch notch. Then put your index finger under the pan and your thumb above the pan and sort of pinch the pan and gently lower the pan until you hear the click. If someone else had those traps they may have waxed them. If so, you will never get it to nite latch until you remove the wax from the notch and the pan. Also another thing to check is make sure that the nite latch notch is not filled with powder coat. If it is, scrub it with a small wire brush. Those are some fine traps.

Rickey

Re: New Help with NO-BS K9 Jr's [Re: bluegrassman] #8060150
01/25/24 09:46 PM
01/25/24 09:46 PM
MO
C
Crappiekiller Offline
trapper
Crappiekiller  Offline
trapper
C

MO
Originally Posted by bluegrassman
On the trap where the pan doesn’t sit level, under the pan there is a carriage bolt that goes down through the cross frame with a nut on the bottom. Loosen the nut up and you can slide the pan back and forth . Slide it towards the loose jaw to raise the pan or towards the lockdown jaw to lower it.

On the pan tension, take a flat blade screw driver and scrape the pan notch and the shelf of the jaw where the pan catches. The coating has a rough texture to it and by scraping those two points of contact smoothing them both off will lower pan tension.

Most people like to set there pan up past the nightlatch and then lower it down so they can hear the click. On those traps I just set it in the nightlatch to begin with.

Yep, this is correct. I thought there was two, but there is only one. That is what I get for going by memory.

CK
Re: New Help with NO-BS K9 Jr's [Re: prohunter1972] #8060551
01/26/24 10:07 AM
01/26/24 10:07 AM
NY
Belo Offline OP
trapper
Belo  Offline OP
trapper

NY
Originally Posted by prohunter1972
Id be curious how you are setting your latch. I had this same issue until I seen Kendall do it and ask him about it, now I have no issues at all setting them even in a hurry.

I guess maybe that's part of my issue? I just sort of squeeze with my palm, this seemed to work better than my thumb. I'm not sure if the smoothness of setting matters? Most of the youtube videos don't show the process very well, best I found was the shetraps youtube.

Re: New Help with NO-BS K9 Jr's [Re: bluegrassman] #8060553
01/26/24 10:10 AM
01/26/24 10:10 AM
NY
Belo Offline OP
trapper
Belo  Offline OP
trapper

NY
Originally Posted by bluegrassman

Thank you this was helpful. I didn't think to even just set it at the nitelatch from the start. I also found that taking a flathead or my knifeblade in the field seemed to help with the click a little more.

Am I mistaken that tightening or untightening the bolt and nut of the pan latch (I think that's what its called, where the pan pivots on the trap) is not the correct way to adjust pan tension?

Re: New Help with NO-BS K9 Jr's [Re: doublesettrigger] #8060557
01/26/24 10:14 AM
01/26/24 10:14 AM
NY
Belo Offline OP
trapper
Belo  Offline OP
trapper

NY
Originally Posted by doublesettrigger
Set that trap above the nite latch notch. Then put your index finger under the pan and your thumb above the pan and sort of pinch the pan and gently lower the pan until you hear the click. If someone else had those traps they may have waxed them. If so, you will never get it to nite latch until you remove the wax from the notch and the pan. Also another thing to check is make sure that the nite latch notch is not filled with powder coat. If it is, scrub it with a small wire brush. Those are some fine traps.

Rickey

They are brand new, but that's good to know about waxing as i planned to do that before next season. Should I just not even bother waxing, or should I just try and protect this part from wax? I appreciate the method you described and I'll try that going forward. It's flooding right now so my whole line is a bit of a mess haha.

Re: New Help with NO-BS K9 Jr's [Re: Belo] #8060576
01/26/24 10:30 AM
01/26/24 10:30 AM
NY
Belo Offline OP
trapper
Belo  Offline OP
trapper

NY
This guy basically explains my tension problem and kind of shares my frustration for the price of these traps
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L8Jv-S7LfnE

Re: New Help with NO-BS K9 Jr's [Re: Belo] #8060578
01/26/24 10:32 AM
01/26/24 10:32 AM
N.W. Iowa
T
Tactical.20 Offline
trapper
Tactical.20  Offline
trapper
T

N.W. Iowa
If they aren't adjusted right they also won't go off when you step on the pan

Re: New Help with NO-BS K9 Jr's [Re: Belo] #8060668
01/26/24 12:03 PM
01/26/24 12:03 PM
NY
Belo Offline OP
trapper
Belo  Offline OP
trapper

NY
I'm going to add some bowstring wax as that's something I can easily do in the field. If that doesn't work I might take a file as several youtubers recommended. This video was helpful.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bYvWEHMby2U

Re: New Help with NO-BS K9 Jr's [Re: doublesettrigger] #8060798
01/26/24 03:14 PM
01/26/24 03:14 PM
Southeast Iowa
P
prohunter1972 Offline
trapper
prohunter1972  Offline
trapper
P

Southeast Iowa
Originally Posted by doublesettrigger

Rickey

This right here is the best way and the way Kendall explained to me when I was having issues

Re: New Help with NO-BS K9 Jr's [Re: Belo] #8060855
01/26/24 04:44 PM
01/26/24 04:44 PM
NC - Here there and everywhere
C
coondagger2 Offline
"Brat"
coondagger2  Offline
"Brat"
C

NC - Here there and everywhere
Take trap out of box.

Loosen pan bolt to where pan sticks slightly, just a tick tighter than a floppy pan.

Take a file and knock the powder coat off of the pan.

Rub bowstring wax on contact points (pan and square setting point on the jaw).

Set and fire the trap a couple times to get the wax evenly coated. As others have said you pinch the pan and pull down while applying upward pressure with your lower finger to set the nightlatch, don't just push down. You will probably be in the 2 pound neighborhood now. May have to tighten the pan bolt slightly more to get around 3 pounds. All of this takes less than 5 minutes per trap and they are very consistent throughout a season. Out of all the traps I own, the jr's require the least time of adjustment of any of them.

If you are really having trouble after this, you can reconfigure the springs to where its only a 2 coil trap and put the 2 remaining coils on the loose jaw side of the trap. You can get them to a downright hair trigger doing that

Gotta live up to the nickname...
Re: New Help with NO-BS K9 Jr's [Re: Belo] #8060893
01/26/24 05:43 PM
01/26/24 05:43 PM
NW Wisconsin
W
WIKA Offline
trapper
WIKA  Offline
trapper
W

NW Wisconsin
My No BS K9 Jrs I don’t die or wax. I do rub a little bow string wax on the contact points and then put them in the ground.

Re: New Help with NO-BS K9 Jr's [Re: Belo] #8061065
01/26/24 08:12 PM
01/26/24 08:12 PM
Wisconsin
B
Bear Tracker Offline
trapper
Bear Tracker  Offline
trapper
B

Wisconsin
WIKA I do the same and have had no problems.

Re: New Help with NO-BS K9 Jr's [Re: Belo] #8066826
02/02/24 10:47 AM
02/02/24 10:47 AM
NY
Belo Offline OP
trapper
Belo  Offline OP
trapper

NY
Took my bowstring to the field yesterday. I think it helped some, but it's clear to me that I'll need to bring a file as well. Didn't have any visitors last night to any of my 4 active sets so I'll give it the weekend.

Also thank you all who gave the recommendation of pinching the pan with your finger below. This method worked flawlessly with each trap. As a newcomer to this sport I really do think these trap companies should include a simple piece of paper with some of these instructions. For example:

To adjust tension loosen or tighten this bolt
To adjust angle do this
to set nite latch use this technique
how to remove springs and why you would do this

Like it's just a single piece of paper, or at least some of these on your website. I apologize if they're there, but when I went to their site I didn't find them. Just my .02. Now that I'm learning these things it is very simple and straight forward, but as a newbie they were not and probably could have had a few more catches if better prepared. oh well.

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread