Strictly Trapping

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Trading Post
(Please support F&T Trading Post, our sponsor for the Trapping Only Forum)

TrappersPost
Please support Trappers post, a sponsor of the Strictly Trapping Forum

Print Thread
Hop To
Attach sand bag to drown CABLE question #8067341
02/02/24 09:26 PM
02/02/24 09:26 PM
West Tennessee
D
doublesettrigger Offline OP
trapper
doublesettrigger  Offline OP
trapper
D

West Tennessee
Please share pictures of attaching a drown CABLE to a sand bag or feed sack. I usually use drown rods but a creek that I am working on has a bottom that is as hard as I-40 . It would take a pile driver to put a drown rod in the bottom. I use cables with adjustable loops on both ends. I am not able to get concrete blocks down the 10 to 12 foot straight down banks. I can however get down with some bags and fill them with rocks. Please share pictures.
Thanks
Rickey

Re: Attach sand bag to drown CABLE question [Re: doublesettrigger] #8067363
02/02/24 09:46 PM
02/02/24 09:46 PM
South Ga - Almost Florida
S
Swamp Wolf Offline
trapper
Swamp Wolf  Offline
trapper
S

Rickey,
Have you tried brake rotars? Not as heavy as the blocks. I like the HD pickup truck rotars.

Thank God For Your Blessings!
Never Half-Arse Anything!

Resource Protection Service

Re: Attach sand bag to drown CABLE question [Re: Swamp Wolf] #8067391
02/02/24 10:10 PM
SW Georgia
W
Wanna Be Offline
trapper
Wanna Be  Offline
trapper
W

SW Georgia
Originally Posted by Swamp Wolf
Rickey,
Have you tried brake rotars? Not as heavy as the blocks. I like the HD pickup truck rotars.

Not as heavy as blocks? I can hold two blocks no issue…I don’t think a coyote could move the rotors I’ve used.

Re: Attach sand bag to drown CABLE question [Re: Swamp Wolf] #8067393
West Tennessee
D
trapper
trapper
D

West Tennessee
Rickey,

I have never tried brake rotors. I threatened to but never did. We had a couple of mechanic shops in the area that I could have gotten all the rotors that I wanted but they are both out of business.
Rickey

Re: Attach sand bag to drown CABLE question [Re: Wanna Be] #8067436
02/02/24 10:49 PM
02/02/24 10:49 PM
S
Swamp Wolf Offline
trapper
Swamp Wolf  Offline
trapper
S

Originally Posted by Wanna Be
Rickey,

Not as heavy as blocks? I can hold two blocks no issue…I don’t think a coyote could move the rotors I’ve used.

What ya using WB? Semi-truck rotars?

The concrete blocks I'm referencing weigh about 40lbs each. Not the lightweight ones.

Re: Attach sand bag to drown CABLE question [Re: doublesettrigger] #8067438
02/02/24 10:50 PM
02/02/24 10:50 PM
S
Swamp Wolf Offline
trapper
Swamp Wolf  Offline
trapper
S

Originally Posted by doublesettrigger
Rickey,

I have never tried brake rotors. I threatened to but never did. We had a couple of mechanic shops in the area that I could have gotten all the rotors that I wanted but they are both out of business.
Rickey

If we was closer, I'd give you 3 or 4 rotars. I have about a dozen or more.

Re: Attach sand bag to drown CABLE question [Re: doublesettrigger] #8067448
02/02/24 10:58 PM
02/02/24 10:58 PM
Pennsylvania
P
patrapperbuster Offline
trapper
patrapperbuster  Offline
trapper
P

Pennsylvania
Sorry, can't send pics, but i do use sandbags filled on site a lot.
After filling tie a tight knot top of bag.
Wrap a couple tight loops of wire below knot & then through bag to secure & twist tight.
Run a looped cable end under wire or use a quick link to attach to the wire.

Personally I use just wire instead of cable to make my drowners

Till that day.....
Re: Attach sand bag to drown CABLE question [Re: doublesettrigger] #8067460
02/02/24 11:03 PM
02/02/24 11:03 PM
Wisconsin
Muskrat Offline
trapper
Muskrat  Offline
trapper

Wisconsin
Please share pictures of attaching a drown CABLE to a sand bag or feed sack.
Rickey

What works for me: cut a length of 11 gauge wire. Fold in half. After bag is filled enough, lift bag and spin, creating a twist under your hand. Take your doubled 11 gauge wire and wrap twice around twist in middle of wire, then wrap that tight twisting the rabbit ear ends together. Hold a chunk of wood about diameter of broom handle above twisted wrap, and wrap/twist above the wood (removing it prior to tightening). Now you've created a loop to attach your terminal end of the drowning cable to. Take side cutters and remove excess. I still use S-hooks, though there are quicker means of attaching out there.

Sandbags are a good go to for those places "back in" that you wouldn't want to haul weights into.

Re: Attach sand bag to drown CABLE question [Re: patrapperbuster] #8067554
02/03/24 01:05 AM
02/03/24 01:05 AM
Idaho
B
bearcat2 Offline
trapper
bearcat2  Offline
trapper
B

Idaho
Originally Posted by patrapperbuster
Wrap a couple tight loops of wire below knot & then through bag to secure & twist tight.

Yep, if you use wire you can just cut it to whatever length you need. Just attach one end to the bag as patrapperbuster describes and attach the other end to a bank stake

Re: Attach sand bag to drown CABLE question [Re: doublesettrigger] #8067642
02/03/24 08:01 AM
02/03/24 08:01 AM
Frazee, MN
B
backroadsarcher Offline
trapper
backroadsarcher  Offline
trapper
B

Frazee, MN
You are lucky if you are able to carry a light bag into a area and fill them. I use cement blocks also. In my area you have to because usually there are no rocks just lots of mud and peat. Most of my beaver trapping is problem beaver so there are a few spots I am called into every year so my blocks are left there, just hook up and go.

Re: Attach sand bag to drown CABLE question [Re: bearcat2] #8067657
02/03/24 08:32 AM
02/03/24 08:32 AM
Rodney,Ohio
SNIPERBBB Offline
trapper
SNIPERBBB  Offline
trapper

Rodney,Ohio
Originally Posted by bearcat2
Originally Posted by patrapperbuster

Yep, if you use wire you can just cut it to whatever length you need. Just attach one end to the bag as patrapperbuster describes and attach the other end to a bank stake

Used to use wire a long time ago. Just hated dealing with the wire after you pull the set.

When I switched to cable drowners with the bags, I used either a snare end or adjustable loop on the deep end of the drowner. I would tie the bag in an overhand by knot and place the loop of the drowner below the knot. Before I tightened the loop completely, I would take a short piece of wire and run it through the bag, passing it through the loop of the drowner, then twist it up. Finish tightening the loop and done. The wire just gives extra insurance of the loop staying in place.

Re: Attach sand bag to drown CABLE question [Re: doublesettrigger] #8067826
02/03/24 01:09 PM
02/03/24 01:09 PM
Wisconsin
T
The Beav Offline
trapper
The Beav  Offline
trapper
T

Wisconsin
Large truck inner tubes work well. Cut them off so you have two halves. On one end tie It closed with some wire leave a loop so you can connect the drowning cable. You can connect the cable and the trap along with the high side stake. Just reverse the tube so every thing Is Inside.After getting to the set location remove drowning gear and fill tube with what ever Is handy. I use zip ties to close up the tube after It's filled.
I call It the trappers condom.

The forum Know It All according to Muskrat
Re: Attach sand bag to drown CABLE question [Re: doublesettrigger] #8067867
02/03/24 01:55 PM
02/03/24 01:55 PM
East, Kentucky
KYBOY Offline
trapper
KYBOY  Offline
trapper

East, Kentucky
I use chain drowners a lot in places like that. I use wire and cable when Im out or in a bind. Anyway with cable and chain I make a sinch loop from cable and a double barrel+stop.. Cinches up tight on feed sacks great . Another thing I like about chains is you can adjust the length so easy, just move the split ring..heavier, yes but no kinking and they never wear out
[Linked Image]

Last edited by KYBOY; 02/03/24 02:06 PM.

Deep in the heart of Appalachia....
Re: Attach sand bag to drown CABLE question [Re: doublesettrigger] #8067973
02/03/24 03:39 PM
02/03/24 03:39 PM
Iowa
~ADC~ Offline
The Count
~ADC~  Offline
The Count

Iowa
Please share pictures of attaching a drown CABLE to a sand bag or feed sack. I usually use drown rods but a creek that I am working on has a bottom that is as hard as I-40 . It would take a pile driver to put a drown rod in the bottom. I use cables with adjustable loops on both ends. I am not able to get concrete blocks down the 10 to 12 foot straight down banks. I can however get down with some bags and fill them with rocks. Please share pictures.
Thanks
Rickey

I see KYBOY touched on it, but if you already have adjustable loop ends on the drowners, can't you just cinch them down around the top of the top of the bags?

Re: Attach sand bag to drown CABLE question [Re: doublesettrigger] #8068096
02/03/24 05:51 PM
02/03/24 05:51 PM
Georgia
warrior Offline
trapper
warrior  Offline
trapper

Georgia
I don't use sand bags so can't supply any actual knowledge but I have looked into it as a possibility.

I think something in how you tie off the sandbag itself is how to go. Whether that be a loop in the tie off, a large knot an adjustable cable loop could grab, or even using rebar tie wire.

[Linked Image]
Re: Attach sand bag to drown CABLE question [Re: ~ADC~] #8068194
02/03/24 07:49 PM
02/03/24 07:49 PM
West Tennessee
D
trapper
trapper
D

West Tennessee
Originally Posted by ~ADC~
Thanks
Rickey

I see KYBOY touched on it, but if you already have adjustable loop ends on the drowners, can't you just cinch them down around the top of the top of the bags?

That is sort of what I did. I put 3 or 4 good size rocks in the plastic sand bag, then twisted the "neck" of the bag, then wrapped wire, #11 around the neck twice. #11 was all I had on me. Then stuck the wire through the bag below and above the wire wrap and twisted it as tight as I could, then cinched the adjustable loop below the wad of wire. So far, it's held. It's a bit of work and time compared to a drown rod. You gotta do what ye gotta do, sometimes, I reckon. I am just fishing for ideas.

Rickey

Re: Attach sand bag to drown CABLE question [Re: doublesettrigger] #8068511
02/04/24 02:34 AM
02/04/24 02:34 AM
Iowa
~ADC~ Offline
The Count
~ADC~  Offline
The Count

Iowa
Can you tie a knot in the top of the bag, then cinch that loop below the knot? Do you even need the knot? Just twist the bag and close the loop around it? They typically are pretty hard to loosen once cinched down. I don't know as I haven't used them on bags but I cinch them on rebar rods and such and they stay tight. Just throwing it out there, it may be a bad idea for all I know, but it looks good on paper. lol

Re: Attach sand bag to drown CABLE question [Re: ~ADC~] #8068650
02/04/24 10:34 AM
02/04/24 10:34 AM
West Tennessee
D
trapper
trapper
D

West Tennessee
Originally Posted by ~ADC~
Can you tie a knot in the top of the bag, then cinch that loop below the knot? Do you even need the knot? Just twist the bag and close the loop around it? They typically are pretty hard to loosen once cinched down. I don't know as I haven't used them on bags but I cinch them on rebar rods and such and they stay tight. Just throwing it out there, it may be a bad idea for all I know, but it looks good on paper. lol

Once I get enough rip rap in the bag that is heavy enough at least for my confidence, I don't have enough bag left to tie a knot. If I had sand there on that creek, that probably would work. The bottom of that creek is might near like concrete. Rods sure are alot easier.

Rickey

Re: Attach sand bag to drown CABLE question [Re: doublesettrigger] #8069169
02/04/24 10:03 PM
02/04/24 10:03 PM
IL
H
houndone Offline
trapper
houndone  Offline
trapper
H

IL
You can fill the bag part way put your wire or cable around the bag and finish filling and tie the top.looks like a hour glass when your done.

Last edited by houndone; 02/05/24 12:52 AM.
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  Drifter, Wolfdog91