No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: How dangerous is it to trap in southern waterways [Re: Grandpa Trapper] #8083862
02/22/24 08:53 PM
02/22/24 08:53 PM
Iowa
~ADC~ Offline
The Count
~ADC~  Offline
The Count

Iowa
Between the snakes, mosquitoes, heat and banjo players, I wouldn't have much interest in being in there. I'll take the snow any day. eek

Re: How dangerous is it to trap in southern waterways [Re: ~ADC~] #8083865
02/22/24 08:56 PM
02/22/24 08:56 PM
Kentucky
ky_coyote_hunter Offline
trapper
ky_coyote_hunter  Offline
trapper

Kentucky
Originally Posted by ~ADC~
Between the snakes, mosquitoes, heat and banjo players, I wouldn't have much interest in being in there. I'll take the snow any day. eek

Snakes, mosquitoes, heat, no problem!....Banjo players are okay if they're related, and we all are, Lol. eek

Member - FTA
Re: How dangerous is it to trap in southern waterways [Re: Grandpa Trapper] #8083870
02/22/24 09:01 PM
02/22/24 09:01 PM
East Texas
B
BTLowry Offline
trapper
BTLowry  Offline
trapper
B

East Texas
Like already said, constantly watching

We have cottonmouths, timber rattlers and copperheads here.
Have not been bitten, YET wink

Water snakes have a bad attitude but the will only make you hurt yourself

Re: How dangerous is it to trap in southern waterways [Re: ~ADC~] #8083882
02/22/24 09:12 PM
02/22/24 09:12 PM
New Hampshire
N
Nessmuck Offline
trapper
Nessmuck  Offline
trapper
N

New Hampshire

If I need a tater rake to trap ...it's a Haahd NO

It is better to die on your feet than to live on your knees.
Re: How dangerous is it to trap in southern waterways [Re: Grandpa Trapper] #8083886
02/22/24 09:18 PM
02/22/24 09:18 PM
Arkansas
W
WhiteCliffs Offline
trapper
WhiteCliffs  Offline
trapper
W

Arkansas
Gators have eaten most of our watersnakes - and beavers and nutrias, too. They evidently cant catch the otters - about the only water mammal I ever see now.

Re: How dangerous is it to trap in southern waterways [Re: Grandpa Trapper] #8084040
02/22/24 11:15 PM
02/22/24 11:15 PM
Asheville, NC
C
charles Offline
trapper
charles  Offline
trapper
C

Asheville, NC
Was bass fishing years ago along the Chowan River in northeastern NC. Think it was May or June. Cypress trees out in the water was the pattern I was using. Fishing the shaded side of the trees with plastic worms that were cast against the trunk of the tree and then fell into the roots.

Got hung up on a root and couldn't seem to get free. A breeze moved the boat so I could not see the bait. Reached down to free it and put my hands around Mr. No Shoulders. Never did that again.

Re: How dangerous is it to trap in southern waterways [Re: Grandpa Trapper] #8084043
02/22/24 11:17 PM
02/22/24 11:17 PM
james bay frontierOnt.
B
Boco Offline
trapper
Boco  Offline
trapper
B

james bay frontierOnt.
Could be in danger of a sunburn.

Forget that fear of gravity-get a little savagery in your life.
Re: How dangerous is it to trap in southern waterways [Re: Grandpa Trapper] #8084092
02/23/24 12:13 AM
02/23/24 12:13 AM
Warren, (Southeast) Texas
ETexTrapper Offline
trapper
ETexTrapper  Offline
trapper

Warren, (Southeast) Texas
[Linked Image]
I watch out for these a little more than I do cottonmouths.

Jordan ADC and Trap Modification
Re: How dangerous is it to trap in southern waterways [Re: Jtrapper] #8084095
02/23/24 12:23 AM
02/23/24 12:23 AM
east central Minnesota
M
Maddog47 Offline
trapper
Maddog47  Offline
trapper
M

east central Minnesota
Jtrapper is right. Just the thought of those snakes will keep from sleeping well for a few days. I'll take our deep snow and cold weather any day, you keep those rotten snakes. My skin crawls just thinking of them.

Peace is that brief glorious moment when everybody stands around reloading
Thomas Jefferson
Re: How dangerous is it to trap in southern waterways [Re: ~ADC~] #8084106
02/23/24 12:40 AM
02/23/24 12:40 AM
West Tennessee
D
doublesettrigger Offline
trapper
doublesettrigger  Offline
trapper
D

West Tennessee

I'm one of them banjer pickers, at least we know how to say creek. The least used sentence in the English language is,"There goes the banjer picker in his new Mercedes".I can tell ye some cottonmouth stories that will make ye have nightmares. I was beside a beaver dam back in a swamp and a cottonmouth hit me on the back of the boot about my calf. He just about knocked my foot out from under me. I didn't know they could hit that hard. He did not penetrate the hip boot. James Lord was tearing out a beaver dam and grabbed a stick and the stick moved in his hand, it was a cottonmouth. He didn't get bit. Most cottonmouths won't come after you, even though I have had a few to charge me, unprovoked. Yes, I have. They usually just lie right there with their mouth open.
I had one strike at me on Dec. 23, totally unprovoked. A rabbit hunter shot one in February right where I had just walked. I have seen them swimming under clear ice.. So to answer your question; it's not dangerous but you better watch where you stick your hands. Just stay alert and you'll be fine.

Rickey

Re: How dangerous is it to trap in southern waterways [Re: Paul Dobbins] #8084110
02/23/24 12:53 AM
02/23/24 12:53 AM
Idaho Falls, ID
G
Grandpa Trapper Offline OP
trapper
Grandpa Trapper  Offline OP
trapper
G

Idaho Falls, ID
Originally Posted by Paul Dobbins
And there was the time when I was in a ditch nor more than four feet wide. A log had fallen into the ditch creating a perfect choke point for a snare. As I was working on getting the snare set up, the hair on the back of my neck bristled. I turned and not five feet behind me was a big old cottonmouth with it's head raised up and it's mouth wide open. A whack with the tater rake took care of it. About dirtied my drawers with that episode.

And there was the time when I was raking out a beaver dam. I happened to look down, and there was a big old cottonmouth crawling over the toe of my boot. That was another episode where my drawers were in jeopardy of being soiled.

Which part of North Carolina are Cottonmouths located. I can’t picture them being in the western part.

Re: How dangerous is it to trap in southern waterways [Re: Grandpa Trapper] #8084122
02/23/24 02:04 AM
02/23/24 02:04 AM
Goldsboro, North Carolina
Paul Dobbins Offline
"Trapperman custodian"
Paul Dobbins  Offline
"Trapperman custodian"

Goldsboro, North Carolina
Originally Posted by Grandpa Trapper
Originally Posted by Paul Dobbins
And there was the time when I was in a ditch nor more than four feet wide. A log had fallen into the ditch creating a perfect choke point for a snare. As I was working on getting the snare set up, the hair on the back of my neck bristled. I turned and not five feet behind me was a big old cottonmouth with it's head raised up and it's mouth wide open. A whack with the tater rake took care of it. About dirtied my drawers with that episode.

And there was the time when I was raking out a beaver dam. I happened to look down, and there was a big old cottonmouth crawling over the toe of my boot. That was another episode where my drawers were in jeopardy of being soiled.

Which part of North Carolina are Cottonmouths located. I can’t picture them being in the western part.

I worked the northeast part of NC. I worked the counties of Pitt, Martin, Beaufort, Washington, Bertie, Hertford, Gates, Chowan, Tyrell, Hyde, Perquimans and Northampton. Bertie was the worse for cottonmouths.

Re: How dangerous is it to trap in southern waterways [Re: Grandpa Trapper] #8084124
02/23/24 02:43 AM
02/23/24 02:43 AM
Alabama/ SE Wisconsin
S
shanemoss Offline
trapper
shanemoss  Offline
trapper
S

Alabama/ SE Wisconsin
I been stomping around these alabama swamps 50 years. Trapping, coon hunting, camping, hiking, duck hunting, you name it. I been bit twice....once was a 6' gator I was trying to poach as a dumb - teenager (sorry swampwolf) and the other was a cotton mouth in a corn field. Lol. The gator I had by the tail, the snake was in a bundle of corn stalks I threw on my shoulder at least 1/2 a mile from any water.....dry summer. I used to catch cottonmouths for several years and a guy from Georgia would come by and milk them.

Had a friend come down from Indiana to pig hunt and we did it wading creeks through the palmetto flats. He was terrified! Lol. I'm in shorts, he's in waders with some kind of hard plastic wrap around snake guards in 100° heat. Never forget the sound of that plastic and palmetto leaves. He eventually shot a couple snakes and backed a hickory bow with them. Turned out beautiful. My advice is use common sense but my experience says use common sense. Lol. When I first started going north, I was shocked at the locals nonchalant attitude with wolves and bears. Now I'm right at home in mn or al. Take precautions if you like, but don't let it ruin your experience.

When you earnestly believe you can compensate for a lack of skill by doubling your efforts, there's no end to what you can't do.
Re: How dangerous is it to trap in southern waterways [Re: Grandpa Trapper] #8084171
02/23/24 07:23 AM
02/23/24 07:23 AM
Greene County,Virginia
R
run Offline
trapper
run  Offline
trapper
R

Greene County,Virginia
Interesting thread!

wanna be goat farmer.
Re: How dangerous is it to trap in southern waterways [Re: Grandpa Trapper] #8084176
02/23/24 07:34 AM
02/23/24 07:34 AM
PA
P
panaxman Offline
trapper
panaxman  Offline
trapper
P

PA
Never mind the cottonmouths. If you hear banjos ~ paddle faster!

Re: How dangerous is it to trap in southern waterways [Re: Old pup] #8084246
02/23/24 09:13 AM
02/23/24 09:13 AM
Ontario
S
Saskfly Offline
trapper
Saskfly  Offline
trapper
S

Ontario
Originally Posted by Old pup
If you think about it, most of our outdoor activities have the potential for danger.
We are usually alone. Could have a major medical emergency or injury. If it's not snakes or hornets it could be bears, falling through ice or frostbite. I've never been lost but there have been a couple times when somebody moved a river or railroad tracks and didn't tell me.
We all may have to deal with animal rights activists.

I thought I was the only one that had rivers and landmarks move on me.

So how bad is the venom from cotton mouths? What's the treatment, recovery time and any lasting affects?

Worked with some boys from the Australian air force and we got talking about the different animals. They where convinced there was a bear around every tree because that's all they saw about Canada on TV. I was convinced there was a snake/spider in every hidey hole in Australia because that's what I saw on TV. Still take dealing with a mad bull moose(had more trouble with them over the years then bears) over snakes......at least you can see the bull moose coming.

Re: How dangerous is it to trap in southern waterways [Re: Grandpa Trapper] #8084299
02/23/24 10:04 AM
02/23/24 10:04 AM
Greene County,Virginia
R
run Offline
trapper
run  Offline
trapper
R

Greene County,Virginia
I hate poisonous snakes. I don't have all the details memorized like some of the rest of you.

wanna be goat farmer.
Re: How dangerous is it to trap in southern waterways [Re: Grandpa Trapper] #8084322
02/23/24 10:16 AM
02/23/24 10:16 AM
South Ga - Almost Florida
S
Swamp Wolf Offline
trapper
Swamp Wolf  Offline
trapper
S

South Ga - Almost Florida
Saskfly,
Treatment may involve antivenin (with a positive snake ID) and likely a short hospital stay. Some folks have allergic reactions to the antivenin. Also, some people may be affected more by the venom than others. Venom is strong protein...so strong that your body rejects it...hence it is "poisonous." Folks with weak circulatory & immune systems are more likely to suffer serious effects from a cottonmouth bite. Cottonmouth venom is considered mostly hemotoxic (affect the blood, bloodstream, and other parts of the circulatory system....and potentially nervous system damage.

Thank God For Your Blessings!
Never Half-Arse Anything!

Resource Protection Service

Re: How dangerous is it to trap in southern waterways [Re: Saskfly] #8084349
02/23/24 10:49 AM
02/23/24 10:49 AM
Georgia
warrior Offline
trapper
warrior  Offline
trapper

Georgia
Originally Posted by Saskfly
Originally Posted by Old pup
If you think about it, most of our outdoor activities have the potential for danger.
We are usually alone. Could have a major medical emergency or injury. If it's not snakes or hornets it could be bears, falling through ice or frostbite. I've never been lost but there have been a couple times when somebody moved a river or railroad tracks and didn't tell me.
We all may have to deal with animal rights activists.

I thought I was the only one that had rivers and landmarks move on me.

So how bad is the venom from cotton mouths? What's the treatment, recovery time and any lasting affects?

Worked with some boys from the Australian air force and we got talking about the different animals. They where convinced there was a bear around every tree because that's all they saw about Canada on TV. I was convinced there was a snake/spider in every hidey hole in Australia because that's what I saw on TV. Still take dealing with a mad bull moose(had more trouble with them over the years then bears) over snakes......at least you can see the bull moose coming.

Of the six hots in Georgia ranked in order.

Eastern Coral, most dangerous venom neurotoxic. Least dangerous as far as bites. Very shy snake and uncommonly found. Actual bites very rare and usually a result of handling one.

Toss up Eastern Diamondback/Timber. Diamondback for amount of venom delivered. Timber for sheer toxicity. Our Georgia Timbers have the most virulent venom found in the species containing both hemo and neuro toxic components. Northern and western timbers while still dangerous have less virulent venom.

I'll give this one to the Timber as it is found statewide vs the Diamondback which is restricted to the lower third of the state and declining in numbers.

Pygmy goes here based on toxicity but dosage is low based on size. Bites uncommon as while they are nominally found statewide populations are scattered being locally common in some locations to rare or absent in others.

Moccasin aka Cottonmouth slightly more toxic than it's cousin the Copperhead and capable of delivering a larger dose. Not present in the north Georgia mountains only found south of Atlanta and up the Coosa River drainage.

Copperhead least virulent of all our hots but most commonly encountered and most common envenomation as it is found statewide and does well in urban environments unlike Timbers that are extirpated from areas of urban development. Deaths are exceedingly rare from Copperheads and require minimal treatment compared to others. Still medically significant and treatment should be sought.

Treatment for any bite is seek immediate treatment. Do not cut, suck or tourniquet go straight to the ER. Protocol now is observation and antivenom and supportive treatment if so indicated. Diamondback and Timber will require antivenom. There is a concern of potential reaction to antivenom hence the observation and treat as needed vs pushing antivenom as first response for all bites. Dry bites do occur as well.

Crofab antivenom is formulated to be effective for all five pit vipers. Coral requires it's own antivenom. Antivenom does not have to be stored at the local ER as modern rapid response can get it flown in as needed from central storage.

Recovery varies based on severity as does long term effect. As pit viper venom is hemotoxic and basically acts as a predigestive process the longer term effects mostly stem from necrotic and tissue damage around the site of the bite to systemic damage to tissues. The bigger and more toxic Diamondback and Timber being more likely to incur more damage.

[Linked Image]
Re: How dangerous is it to trap in southern waterways [Re: Grandpa Trapper] #8084351
02/23/24 10:52 AM
02/23/24 10:52 AM
Georgia
warrior Offline
trapper
warrior  Offline
trapper

Georgia
And if bitten do not try to collect the snake to bring to the ER. Secondary envonmations have occurred attempting to do so. Bite marks usually will suffice to determine which type of snake. Take a photo if you can but do not delay medical treatment to do so.

[Linked Image]
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread