No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Cellular Camera for yard security #8091197
03/02/24 11:19 PM
03/02/24 11:19 PM
SE NEBRASKA
NebrCatMan Offline OP
trapper
NebrCatMan  Offline OP
trapper

SE NEBRASKA
I am looking to put up a couple cellular cameras around my cabin building site. I have several regular cameras out now and they capture everything that goes on at nite or when I'm gone, but gotta check the cards to see what happened. But I want a camera that will let me know right away if someone is doing something at my place when I'm not there or I am sleeping. I know deer and other critters will set them off fairly often. I will deal with that. I wish someone made a cellular camera you could turn off or on with a remote that way if your camera is mounted up high you could turn it off when your home or working in front of it and that way you would not be getting pictures sent all the time. I am looking at a SpyPoint brand camera and a Reveal Tactacam brand also. Anybody use cellular cameras for security... or even for criters. Which one is best... Comments??? Thanks

Last edited by NebrCatMan; 03/02/24 11:20 PM.

Remember "Forbidden Fruit makes many Jams"
Re: Cellular Camera for yard security [Re: NebrCatMan] #8091227
03/03/24 12:00 AM
03/03/24 12:00 AM
Arkansas
W
WhiteCliffs Offline
trapper
WhiteCliffs  Offline
trapper
W

Arkansas
I use reveal tactacam for exactly what you are talking about. When I am around, I just set the delay to 24 hrs from my phone and then go back to however many minutes I want

Re: Cellular Camera for yard security [Re: NebrCatMan] #8091252
03/03/24 01:07 AM
03/03/24 01:07 AM
east central WI
D
Dirty D Offline
trapper
Dirty D  Offline
trapper
D

east central WI
I had a discussion with a cop about security cameras. His take was a large portion of the time they don't help and thus they are no security.
He said most of the dudes that get caught are usually known to local PD before hand.
If you get one be sure to put it spots where you can get a good mugshot of the intruder.
Second would be if parking spots aimed at getting auto info.
Better quality camera the better.

after talking to him we decided against getting any cameras, he felt our place being off not visible from the road, us being home pretty much all the time and other locals around us knowing that were enough to keep the odds heavily in our favor.

Re: Cellular Camera for yard security [Re: WhiteCliffs] #8091327
03/03/24 08:14 AM
03/03/24 08:14 AM
SE NEBRASKA
NebrCatMan Offline OP
trapper
NebrCatMan  Offline OP
trapper

SE NEBRASKA
Originally Posted by WhiteCliffs
I use reveal tactacam for exactly what you are talking about. When I am around, I just set the delay to 24 hrs from my phone and then go back to however many minutes I want

Sounds like there are some cameras that you can communicate with from your cell phone. Is this thru the phone company or is it thru the WIFI thru the internet and a PC? Bad thing about WIFI off your PC is that if the power is off it does not work. On our family farms and on my cabin place there's breakers out at on a pole where the power comes in... right after the meter.

Remember "Forbidden Fruit makes many Jams"
Re: Cellular Camera for yard security [Re: NebrCatMan] #8091331
03/03/24 08:28 AM
03/03/24 08:28 AM
Adirondacks, N.Y.
T
trapdye Offline
trapper
trapdye  Offline
trapper
T

Adirondacks, N.Y.
I found that spy points customer service stinks, you have to e-mail them & wait for a return e-mail. I have two I received as gifts & they set in a box.

John's Nuisance Wildlife Control
If you like what you do for a living, It's better than a vacation. Most days.
Re: Cellular Camera for yard security [Re: NebrCatMan] #8091386
03/03/24 09:37 AM
03/03/24 09:37 AM
S.E. Ohio
M
M.Magis Offline
trapper
M.Magis  Offline
trapper
M

S.E. Ohio
Cell cameras work on cell service, hense the name. They don’t use wifi in any way, the entire prupose of them is to use them in the woods. Most or all of them give you the ability to turn them on and off, or schedule working and non working times. Tactacam seems to have the best customer service. But their app sucks and they charge you extra for every little thing. The Stealth app is much better, and all of the extras Tactacam charges for are free with Stealth. But their customer service is a joke. Luckily I’ve not really needed it.

Re: Cellular Camera for yard security [Re: NebrCatMan] #8091389
03/03/24 09:41 AM
03/03/24 09:41 AM
Marion Kansas
Y
Yes sir Offline
"Callie's little brother"
Yes sir  Offline
"Callie's little brother"
Y

Marion Kansas
Tactacams for me. They will connect by wifi if your close enough. How close I can't say for sure. There app seems fine to me.

Re: Cellular Camera for yard security [Re: NebrCatMan] #8091512
03/03/24 12:25 PM
03/03/24 12:25 PM
coastal ny
G
gcs Offline
trapper
gcs  Offline
trapper
G

coastal ny
I have the NEST cameras at the house, same thing as RING, mostly to make Miss Daisy feel better, alerts and video goes to your phone. You can turn them on or off and change the settings by your phone.
You need the paid upgrade to save video more than 3 hours.
They work ok, but identifying a person , unless they're posing might be difficult.

Re: Cellular Camera for yard security [Re: NebrCatMan] #8091587
03/03/24 02:23 PM
03/03/24 02:23 PM
MB
J
Jurassic Park Online content
trapper
Jurassic Park  Online Content
trapper
J

MB
I have some stealth cam reactor cell cameras. They don’t need wifi to work.

You can program them through your cell phone, and if you’re working in front of the camera you can change the setting from your cell phone to stop taking pics. It’s as easy as sending a text message pretty much.

Once you’re done working in front of your camera, change the setting back to take pics again and you’re good to go.

Cold as ice!
Re: Cellular Camera for yard security [Re: NebrCatMan] #8091660
03/03/24 04:48 PM
03/03/24 04:48 PM
Pa
Y
YoteChaser1968 Offline
trapper
YoteChaser1968  Offline
trapper
Y

Pa
I have a Moultrie XV-7000i and really like it. I use it for critters and not security. I have had it now for about 4 years. They are available with either Verizon or AT&T coverage -- That is the first question is which carrier is best for you? -- I chose Verizon but either will work in my area. It sends me a photo in real-time (about 3-5 minutes after an event sometimes quicker -- I only have one bar of signal where my camera is). I can remotely change the settings - Resolution, Trigger Timeout, etc.... When there is too much critter activity I can set the trigger to only occur once an hour (or longer) - I think this might be a good option for your "disable the camera" when you are there. It is really flexible.

The camera was $99 -- I believe Moultrie also sells refurbished ones for less. Their support (when needed) has been outstanding. I pay about $11/month which includes the cellular connection and 1,000 photos a month. The photos come over in a lower resolution initially (which is still impressive) and if you request the High-Res, I believe it counts as 2 pics (maybe 4?). The model I have does not send video over cellular -- it can capture video on the card if you would like. It can also capture video (on the card) and send the pictures over cellular. You can also add multiple cameras to your plan and "share" the photo limit.

I use a solar external battery with it and have gone over a year w/o touching it. I will be buying an additional camera (same model if possible) and adding it to my plan.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Re: Cellular Camera for yard security [Re: NebrCatMan] #8091668
03/03/24 05:07 PM
03/03/24 05:07 PM
SW Georgia
W
Wanna Be Offline
trapper
Wanna Be  Offline
trapper
W

SW Georgia
Can’t speak for others, but Tactacams glow. Not exactly stealthy.

I run Spartans and have for years. I use mine all year long. We’ve used them for home security as well at my son’s first house. They can be used with any carrier. My older ones are Verizon and the newer ones are any carrier signal it can find. I’ve taken them on my out of state trips as well.

Re: Cellular Camera for yard security [Re: Wanna Be] #8091685
03/03/24 05:45 PM
03/03/24 05:45 PM
alabama
BandB Offline
trapper
BandB  Offline
trapper

alabama
Originally Posted by Wanna Be
Can’t speak for others, but Tactacams glow. Not exactly stealthy.

I run Spartans and have for years. I use mine all year long. We’ve used them for home security as well at my son’s first house. They can be used with any carrier. My older ones are Verizon and the newer ones are any carrier signal it can find. I’ve taken them on my out of state trips as well.

Are they Pros? They are supposed to be black flash. The regular Tactacams are red light.

Re: Cellular Camera for yard security [Re: NebrCatMan] #8091687
03/03/24 05:51 PM
03/03/24 05:51 PM
SW Georgia
W
Wanna Be Offline
trapper
Wanna Be  Offline
trapper
W

SW Georgia
Don’t know, I’ve just seen them glow. Apparently one guy had a flash on his. Not sure what my son won, but he ended up selling it or giving it away. It might be a “black flash” but it would scare the daylights out of mature bucks. He switched over to Spartans and was able to keep track of his deer all year long including after season and finding its shed. I think some folks on here use Tactacam and have good pics of mature deer. His pics just almost looked like total whiteout even after adjusting. It just didn’t work out for us.

Re: Cellular Camera for yard security [Re: NebrCatMan] #8091864
03/03/24 09:53 PM
03/03/24 09:53 PM
S.E. Ohio
M
M.Magis Offline
trapper
M.Magis  Offline
trapper
M

S.E. Ohio
Thats another of Tactacam’s ways of appearing to be cheaper than other brands, they offer the base model without features that they know people need. Then they offer that feature on the “pro” model, for an extra $30 of course.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread