No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: If you could do it all over again...? [Re: Dirty D] #8118900
04/10/24 12:19 PM
04/10/24 12:19 PM
Akron, Ohio
bass10 Offline
trapper
bass10  Offline
trapper

Akron, Ohio
Originally Posted by Dirty D
Originally Posted by waggler
A college degree is not worth nearly what is was a few years ago, unless you are aiming at a particular career such as law, medicine, etc..

The trades are where the big money is now. Very few people want to really work; that is, to be productive.

In my part of the Country, guys who are motivated and not afraid to work are pulling down six figure incomes in their early 20's, doing things like flooring installation, tile, interior painting, radiant heat, kitchen remodel, real estate services, etc..

I hate to say it, but I wouldn't recommend the military to any young person today. I may change my opinion if the political climate makes a big and permanent change. The few career military folks I know are all scrambling to retire due to the woke direction the military is taking. I have one friend who has been in for 20 years, he has about 800 guys under him, he is now taking orders from a 23 year old lesbian.

I agree with this.

College is a waste of money and time for most of the degrees, only ones worth anything are in the STEM fields.

Another advantage of the trades is its easy to start your own business and or do moonlighting depending upon your field.

As far the Military my Son who just got done with 20 in the Navy says the same thing, its becoming a joke.

No matter which way one goes the secret to doing well is not as much as what you do but how you do it. Put your hours in, watch and learn form others while keeping your trap shut, always try to do better, admit your mistakes freely and be willing to do more.
Your investing in yourself, if your current job doesn't pan out quit and change jobs, leave on good terms.
Bosses, workers and customers talk to each other, if your a stand up guy the word gets out, will always have people willing to hire you.

Well my 28 year old son got a degree in Business Management/Sales, he has made over $100K every year and will make roughly $300K this year IF he does next to nothing the rest of the year. This influx is due to a big Ford
project so he'll be back to his measley $150K again. He sells dock equipment for Arbon/Right Height. My 30 year old daughter got her degree in Business Management/HR (like her mom) and is now in charge of HR, Benefits and
Payroll at Carter Lumber. She makes roughly $120K a year plus gets 4 lump bonuses which are roughly $10-$15K each. She is on their stock plan where she has to contribute nothing and is estimated to be worth several million
when she retires. We live 20 minutes from Akron University so I told them both we'll pay half their tuition but if they want to live on campus thats all on them. They both graduated with less than $20K debt. SO I would be very hesitant
to say college is a waste of money. But I get you that there are many degrees that I wouldn't have let my kids go after?

"The more people I meet the more I love my dog!"
Re: If you could do it all over again...? [Re: Gary Benson] #8118923
04/10/24 01:23 PM
04/10/24 01:23 PM
The Hill Country of Texas
Leftlane Offline
"HOSS"
Leftlane  Offline
"HOSS"

The Hill Country of Texas
Back in 86 or 87 an AM country radio station had Earl Pitts American on every day and he had a lot of fun with yuppies who bought water in a bottle when it was free from the tap.

I should have invested a couple of grand in one of the companies doing it. Probably be worth millions now.

“What’s good for me may not be good for the weak minded.”
Captain Gus McCrae- Texas Rangers

Re: If you could do it all over again...? [Re: Gary Benson] #8118924
04/10/24 01:30 PM
04/10/24 01:30 PM
Sandhills Nebraska
G
Gary Benson Offline OP
trapper
Gary Benson  Offline OP
trapper
G

Sandhills Nebraska
Very good responses!

Life ain't supposed to be easy.
Re: If you could do it all over again...? [Re: Gary Benson] #8118932
04/10/24 01:42 PM
04/10/24 01:42 PM
WISCONSIN
W
Wild_WI Offline
trapper
Wild_WI  Offline
trapper
W

WISCONSIN
Wouldn't change a thing, I'm a retired Army officer, working toward my second pension. Wife and kids are healthy and happy and I've got no worries. Couldn't ask for anything else

Re: If you could do it all over again...? [Re: Gary Benson] #8118941
04/10/24 02:01 PM
04/10/24 02:01 PM
east central WI
D
Dirty D Offline
trapper
Dirty D  Offline
trapper
D

east central WI
One thing I would do different is buy a bunch of Microsoft stock when it was initially offered in '86 instead of spending entirely too much money on cars.

Re: If you could do it all over again...? [Re: Gary Benson] #8118943
04/10/24 02:10 PM
04/10/24 02:10 PM
Kansas
Pawnee Offline
trapper
Pawnee  Offline
trapper

Kansas
Trade school no college

Everything the left touches it destroys
Re: If you could do it all over again...? [Re: bass10] #8118944
04/10/24 02:11 PM
04/10/24 02:11 PM
east central WI
D
Dirty D Offline
trapper
Dirty D  Offline
trapper
D

east central WI
Originally Posted by bass10

Well my 28 year old son got a degree in Business Management/Sales, he has made over $100K every year and will make roughly $300K this year IF he does next to nothing the rest of the year. This influx is due to a big Ford
project so he'll be back to his measley $150K again. He sells dock equipment for Arbon/Right Height. My 30 year old daughter got her degree in Business Management/HR (like her mom) and is now in charge of HR, Benefits and
Payroll at Carter Lumber. She makes roughly $120K a year plus gets 4 lump bonuses which are roughly $10-$15K each. She is on their stock plan where she has to contribute nothing and is estimated to be worth several million
when she retires. We live 20 minutes from Akron University so I told them both we'll pay half their tuition but if they want to live on campus thats all on them. They both graduated with less than $20K debt. SO I would be very hesitant
to say college is a waste of money. But I get you that there are many degrees that I wouldn't have let my kids go after?

Very good for your kids. The average for Business management degrees is alot less than what your kids are making.
I suspect your kids are go getters and that has more to do with what they make then the degree. More often than not the degree gets them in the door, After that its on the individuals. I suspect your kids are well above average.

Re: If you could do it all over again...? [Re: Dirty D] #8118951
04/10/24 02:28 PM
04/10/24 02:28 PM
Akron, Ohio
bass10 Offline
trapper
bass10  Offline
trapper

Akron, Ohio
Originally Posted by Dirty D
Originally Posted by bass10

Very good for your kids. The average for Business management degrees is alot less than what your kids are making.
I suspect your kids are go getters and that has more to do with what they make then the degree. More often than not the degree gets them in the door, After that its on the individuals. I suspect your kids are well above average.

Well you are right there. One of my best friends son graduated from Ohio State University with a degree in videography. He bragged how he graduated in 3 years (took college classes in HS). I don't ask much about him as its a sore
subject with him but last I checked he was still living in moms house delivering pizzas at age 27. On the other hand there may be cases of kids doing really well with that degree??

"The more people I meet the more I love my dog!"
Re: If you could do it all over again...? [Re: Gary Benson] #8118958
04/10/24 02:45 PM
04/10/24 02:45 PM
Maine, Aroostook
Posco Offline
trapper
Posco  Offline
trapper

Maine, Aroostook
Regrets, I have a few. I'd love to relive the years I was raising my kids. I love them and they love me but I wouldn't miss a thing involving them.

Re: If you could do it all over again...? [Re: Gary Benson] #8118963
04/10/24 02:58 PM
04/10/24 02:58 PM
el vado, nm
T
Tom Fisher Offline
trapper
Tom Fisher  Offline
trapper
T

el vado, nm
I would of left out NY as soon as I quit working, always try to look ahead. I feel that my mistakes helped to form me into the wonderful person I am today!!!?

Re: If you could do it all over again...? [Re: Gary Benson] #8118995
04/10/24 03:38 PM
04/10/24 03:38 PM
New Hampshire
N
Nessmuck Offline
trapper
Nessmuck  Offline
trapper
N

New Hampshire
If I was going to live forever....sure ..

I would have chose a different path.

But...we don't live forever....and wouldn't change a thing

Got to see both my sons baseball games...soccer games...4H Fairs... everything...

Because I wasn't working for the man.

Seen plenty of my friends sacrifice family for the all mighty dollar..

Work 60 hours per week....then Drop dead at 63...and nevah enjoyed anything.

Last edited by Nessmuck; 04/10/24 03:46 PM.

It is better to die on your feet than to live on your knees.
Re: If you could do it all over again...? [Re: Gary Benson] #8119000
04/10/24 03:50 PM
04/10/24 03:50 PM
New Hampshire
N
Nessmuck Offline
trapper
Nessmuck  Offline
trapper
N

New Hampshire
Why be the richest man in the cemetery ?

It is better to die on your feet than to live on your knees.
Re: If you could do it all over again...? [Re: Gary Benson] #8119025
04/10/24 04:40 PM
04/10/24 04:40 PM
MN, Land of 10,000 Lakes
T
Trapper7 Offline
trapper
Trapper7  Offline
trapper
T

MN, Land of 10,000 Lakes
The title reminds me of the Robert Frost poem, "The Road Not Taken".
I would do a total reversal of what I did after I graduated high school.

The difference between animals and humans is that animals would never let the dumbest ones lead the pack.
Re: If you could do it all over again...? [Re: Gary Benson] #8119219
04/10/24 10:04 PM
04/10/24 10:04 PM
Eastern Shore, MD
J
JoMiBru Offline
trapper
JoMiBru  Offline
trapper
J

Eastern Shore, MD
Join the coast guard at 18. Do 20 years and “retire” at age 38. Start another career , don’t really need benefits because you have the option to purchase them back from the CG reasonable . Two of my friends did this and both live very successful lives.

I have no regrets. Studied wildlife and fisheries management at WVU for 4 years, graduated then decided to farm on our families grain operation alongside my uncle and grandfather.

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread