No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: New Tacomas vs Older Ones [Re: J. Brooks] #8123072
04/16/24 08:26 PM
04/16/24 08:26 PM
De
C
coop Offline
trapper
coop  Offline
trapper
C

De
Got a 2004 Tacoma , 216K, 4 cyl. gets 20 mpg... got a 2023 Tacoma, 5K, 3.5 V6, gets 23...

Re: New Tacomas vs Older Ones [Re: J. Brooks] #8123107
04/16/24 09:56 PM
04/16/24 09:56 PM
Duluth, MN
C
Clark Offline
trapper
Clark  Offline
trapper
C

Duluth, MN
I’ve had several Tacomas and all have had less than stellar seating. I now have a Frontier and would recommend them and their seats over a Tacoma. Plus you’ll save some money in the process, but that may not be a consideration here…

Common sense is the collection of prejudices acquired by age eighteen. -Albert Einstein
Re: New Tacomas vs Older Ones [Re: J. Brooks] #8123165
04/16/24 11:48 PM
04/16/24 11:48 PM
Montana
J
J. Brooks Offline OP
trapper
J. Brooks  Offline OP
trapper
J

Montana
Great info guys! Thanks

Re: New Tacomas vs Older Ones [Re: Clark] #8123194
04/17/24 01:07 AM
04/17/24 01:07 AM
SE SD
D
DWC Offline
trapper
DWC  Offline
trapper
D

SE SD
Originally Posted by Clark
I’ve had several Tacomas and all have had less than stellar seating. I now have a Frontier and would recommend them and their seats over a Tacoma. Plus you’ll save some money in the process, but that may not be a consideration here…

Drove a Tacoma and a Frontier for work. The Frontier had more zip and was way more comfortable. If I didnt have to have car seats, Id own one. The Tacoma is like driving a slow corvette with 4 wheel drive-you sit on the floor. Im not sold on this Toyota reliability either. 5k head gasket at just over 100k on my Tundra, along with electrical problems. Horrible mileage. But, it is very comfortable, Ill give it that.

Re: New Tacomas vs Older Ones [Re: J. Brooks] #8123203
04/17/24 02:31 AM
04/17/24 02:31 AM
Timmins Ontario
G
gibb Offline
trapper
gibb  Offline
trapper
G

Timmins Ontario
I have been looking at replacing my tacoma with a new one and so far I have learn that the 2024 are all 4 bangers and they have upgraded the seats to a much more comfortable one that you can adjust. If you are looking to pull trailers this is not the truck for that.

Re: New Tacomas vs Older Ones [Re: DWC] #8123242
04/17/24 06:50 AM
04/17/24 06:50 AM
MD
D
DaveP Offline
trapper
DaveP  Offline
trapper
D

MD
Originally Posted by DWC
at just over 100k on my Tundra, along with electrical problems. Horrible mileage. But, it is very comfortable, Ill give it that.

I guess it's subjective.
Brother and I rented a Tundra in Denver, drove all thru Wyoming.
Both of us found the seats horrible.

In fact, after a week in, he declared that the interior was a Japanese plot, so when they attacked us again, we'd all be too crippled up to fight back....

Re: New Tacomas vs Older Ones [Re: DWC] #8123322
04/17/24 09:20 AM
04/17/24 09:20 AM
Michigan
B
BigBlackBirds Offline
trapper
BigBlackBirds  Offline
trapper
B

Michigan
Originally Posted by DWC
Originally Posted by Clark

Drove a Tacoma and a Frontier for work. The Frontier had more zip and was way more comfortable. If I didnt have to have car seats, Id own one. The Tacoma is like driving a slow corvette with 4 wheel drive-you sit on the floor. Im not sold on this Toyota reliability either. 5k head gasket at just over 100k on my Tundra, along with electrical problems. Horrible mileage. But, it is very comfortable, Ill give it that.

Thats a pretty accurate description of seating in my opinion lol. They've always been that way. The new 4th generation is suppose to be more "comfortable". That'll likely appeal to many but I'm afraid they may have negatively impacted the performance by doing so. Much of the lack of space/comfort inside of them was due to the floor being held up higher than most which squished you into it but that also provided decent running ground clearance. The 4th generation lowered the floor and compensated by putting them on 33" tires vs 31" but even with that the last specs I saw had it losing just a touch of clearance. Probably the bigger win will be easier to move to 35" tires from 33"

J.Brooks---1) expect to not get great gas mileage. My 3rd gen in stock configuration could get 23mpg at best running long distance on flat ground with cruise set around 70ish. Much faster and it starts dropping pretty good. Dropped to around 17-18mpg when trailer was behind. Overall in mixed driving conditions during the summer 20mpg was the norm with 17-18 in winter being in 4 wheel lots of the time. Move off stock configuration at all and it only gets worse---not sure how much worse really as I never recalibrated my speedometer but it surely didnt get better lol

2) personally if you could find the right 2nd generation I'd likely take that over the 3rds. I just am not a fan of the electronics that came on the 3rds but I'd be happy with a bare bones truck so obviously biased in that regard.

Which takes us to item 3). When looking at used, the first year of the 3rd generations (2016) is normally considered problematic. I'm sure they arent all that way but I'd likely avoid them. It seems that 2018-2021 are the sweet spot for the 3rd generation. The electronics on the truck became outdated fairly quickly compared to what the Big 3 started putting on the market to compete with the tacoma so Toyota responded with alot of upgrades in the recent years. Seems the upgrades may have not been much for improvements as there are no shortage of complaints about them in the last 2 years.

I've had all 3 generations and my opinion is that its a pretty niche truck. You won't get the comforts that you can get from any of the american full sized trucks which for the majority are only used to go to the store or town anyway. If comfort is important look elsewhere. It has limited towing and cargo capacity---if you haul alot its going to struggle. In the long run as a class of vehicle its still way more reliable than its competitors but the newer models arent nearly as problem free as the old ones as all the bells and whistles have been added. Where it really shines is that has some jeep style capability with option to haul a little bit of stuff in the bed---itll take you into places that you likely shouldnt drive to begin with and hopefully bring you back to the pavement. I'm currently in the market for a used F150 for more hauling capability. But as a hunting/trapping rig there are only two other vehicles that I'd consider alongside the tacoma and that'd be a Frontier or the new jeep but the reliability from that manufacturer is so poor that it scares the heck out of me  

Re: New Tacomas vs Older Ones [Re: J. Brooks] #8123359
04/17/24 10:04 AM
04/17/24 10:04 AM
NC - Here there and everywhere
C
coondagger2 Offline
"Brat"
coondagger2  Offline
"Brat"
C

NC - Here there and everywhere
I put 30-40k miles a year on my tacoma. Lots of them not on the pavement. It's an 09 that I bought a few years back from an older fella with low mileage. The 4.0 has been very good to me. The only work I've done on the truck is changing the fluids.

If I had to buy another one, it would be another "2nd gen." Not interested in the newer models with the 3.5L engine and more electronics. I get 18-19 mpg average daily around town, drops off to low teens when towing.

I went on a turkey hunting trip to northern Vermont last year. Drove 16 hours up there and found myself in the middle of nowhere. Hunted for 3 or 4 days and took the truck down trails in the mountains most guys would avoid with their fourwheeler. Trails bad enough my buddy had to get out to spot me. Put a massive dent in the muffler from a big rock on one of the trails. Drove it 16 hours back home without a hitch. You simply will not do things like that in an F150. The reliability is not there with other trucks.

If you are wondering about reliability/longevity, ask Paul how many miles he has on his trucks.

I have two complaints with my truck: rear legroom and bed space. I am probably going to sell this truck soon just to buy the same truck with a long bed. I cannot stand the 5' bed, I'll never own another truck with one. You can't even lay a shovel or rake down in the bed and close the tailgate. 4 grown men won't go anywhere further than 20-30 minutes in my truck. Hunting trips with the whole crew aren't a thing in a tacoma due to the cramped back seat. The double cab tundras aren't any better.

The tacoma isn't a do it all truck. We have several older Cummins trucks around the house that I use for towing the tractor or skidsteers. As long as I have those heavier duty trucks I will have a tacoma for daily driving and hunting/trapping. They are good dependable trucks that last a long long time.

[Linked Image]

Gotta live up to the nickname...
Re: New Tacomas vs Older Ones [Re: coondagger2] #8123378
04/17/24 10:38 AM
04/17/24 10:38 AM
midland, michigan
M
midlander Offline
trapper
midlander  Offline
trapper
M

midland, michigan
Originally Posted by coondagger2
I put 30-40k miles a year on my tacoma. Lots of them not on the pavement. It's an 09 that I bought a few years back from an older fella with low mileage. The 4.0 has been very good to me. The only work I've done on the truck is changing the fluids.

If I had to buy another one, it would be another "2nd gen." Not interested in the newer models with the 3.5L engine and more electronics. I get 18-19 mpg average daily around town, drops off to low teens when towing.

I went on a turkey hunting trip to northern Vermont last year. Drove 16 hours up there and found myself in the middle of nowhere. Hunted for 3 or 4 days and took the truck down trails in the mountains most guys would avoid with their fourwheeler. Trails bad enough my buddy had to get out to spot me. Put a massive dent in the muffler from a big rock on one of the trails. Drove it 16 hours back home without a hitch. You simply will not do things like that in an F150. The reliability is not there with other trucks.

If you are wondering about reliability/longevity, ask Paul how many miles he has on his trucks.

I have two complaints with my truck: rear legroom and bed space. I am probably going to sell this truck soon just to buy the same truck with a long bed. I cannot stand the 5' bed, I'll never own another truck with one. You can't even lay a shovel or rake down in the bed and close the tailgate. 4 grown men won't go anywhere further than 20-30 minutes in my truck. Hunting trips with the whole crew aren't a thing in a tacoma due to the cramped back seat. The double cab tundras aren't any better.

The tacoma isn't a do it all truck. We have several older Cummins trucks around the house that I use for towing the tractor or skidsteers. As long as I have those heavier duty trucks I will have a tacoma for daily driving and hunting/trapping. They are good dependable trucks that last a long long time.

[Linked Image]

Spot on...glad I searched a little longer for the long box when I purchased..it was worth the wait.

Re: New Tacomas vs Older Ones [Re: J. Brooks] #8123386
04/17/24 10:55 AM
04/17/24 10:55 AM
Northern Minnesota
BernieB. Offline
trapper
BernieB.  Offline
trapper

Northern Minnesota
I've only had this 2006 truck for a little over a year but I have put 25k miles on it. Really like it, very reliable and a truck I can take to the woods and back onto bush roads where you would never take a newer truck. Drove it all the way to North Carolina and back, it was not uncomfortable at all. Mileage of the V6 has bee a little disappointing, highway driving I have not been able to get over 20.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Re: New Tacomas vs Older Ones [Re: coop] #8123389
04/17/24 10:58 AM
04/17/24 10:58 AM
Kentucky
ky_coyote_hunter Offline
trapper
ky_coyote_hunter  Offline
trapper

Kentucky
Originally Posted by coop
Got a 2004 Tacoma , 216K, 4 cyl. gets 20 mpg... got a 2023 Tacoma, 5K, 3.5 V6, gets 23...

That 1st gen 2004 Tacoma was the apex of Toyota reliability IMO, plus the lines of that truck exceeds all the other generations styling, paired with the perfect size for woods running.

Member - FTA
Re: New Tacomas vs Older Ones [Re: J. Brooks] #8123440
04/17/24 01:15 PM
04/17/24 01:15 PM
Montana
J
J. Brooks Offline OP
trapper
J. Brooks  Offline OP
trapper
J

Montana
I wish I could run an older gen but the company policy is going to be very specific about needing to be later model…likely no more then 5-8 years old but we haven’t seen the specifics yet.

I mostly run 3/4 ton gassers for my hunting and trapping so all this talk of “terrible” mileage around 18-20+ actually gets me pretty excited, lol.

I am concerned about the bugs on the later models with extra electronics and tech. I have not totally ruled out a full size. My company rig now is a full size four door Silverado 1/2 ton. Super nice for getting down the road and does ok on ranch roads (I appraise farms/ranches for a living) but it is a bit too low for anything not maintained well. Seems like it gets around 16 MPG but I never check it…just going off what I remember the dash saying once when scrolling through the settings.

Re: New Tacomas vs Older Ones [Re: J. Brooks] #8123487
04/17/24 03:26 PM
04/17/24 03:26 PM
Michigan
M
Michigander Offline
trapper
Michigander  Offline
trapper
M

Michigan
I like my 2020 access cab 4wd manual trans. Only had it a year but have put it through some crap. Not the best tow vehicle but it handles my old 18' starcraft well. Towed it up to Lake of the Woods Ontario and back fine (2200 miles). I haul gravity wagons with up to 8,000 pounds of feed regularly also. Put about 5,000 trail miles trapping and hunting in the U.P and northern lower with no issues. Only bad thing is the mileage isn't the greatest for the size.

[Linked Image]

Re: New Tacomas vs Older Ones [Re: J. Brooks] #8123492
04/17/24 03:33 PM
04/17/24 03:33 PM
Ar
G
gregh Offline
trapper
gregh  Offline
trapper
G

Ar
Good luck trying to get parts for a Tacoma,

Re: New Tacomas vs Older Ones [Re: gregh] #8123543
04/17/24 05:04 PM
04/17/24 05:04 PM
Kentucky
ky_coyote_hunter Offline
trapper
trapper

Kentucky
Originally Posted by gregh
Good luck trying to get parts for a Tacoma,

I just replaced the radiator, serpentine belt, water pump, thermostat, 3 idler pulleys & a belt tensioner pulley assembly on my '08 with factory parts 6 mos back. Has something changed?

Member - FTA
Re: New Tacomas vs Older Ones [Re: J. Brooks] #8123548
04/17/24 05:09 PM
04/17/24 05:09 PM
Goldsboro, North Carolina
Paul Dobbins Offline
"Trapperman custodian"
Paul Dobbins  Offline
"Trapperman custodian"

Goldsboro, North Carolina
I've never encountered a problem getting parts for my Tacomas.

Re: New Tacomas vs Older Ones [Re: midlander] #8123692
04/17/24 09:01 PM
04/17/24 09:01 PM
Iowa
T
trapdog1 Offline
trapper
trapdog1  Offline
trapper
T

Iowa
Originally Posted by midlander
Originally Posted by coondagger2

[Linked Image]

Spot on...glad I searched a little longer for the long box when I purchased..it was worth the wait.

Same here.

Re: New Tacomas vs Older Ones [Re: J. Brooks] #8123849
04/18/24 06:14 AM
04/18/24 06:14 AM
Ar
G
gregh Offline
trapper
gregh  Offline
trapper
G

Ar
ky coyote hunter: I just replace the gauge cluster on an 06 tacoma. it took 4 months to get the parts from Toyota and had to pitch a fit to do that.

Re: New Tacomas vs Older Ones [Re: ky_coyote_hunter] #8123863
04/18/24 07:01 AM
04/18/24 07:01 AM
Minnesota
330-Trapper Offline

trapper
330-Trapper  Offline

trapper

Minnesota
Originally Posted by ky_coyote_hunter
Have a '08 access cab, auto tranny 4.0 V6 103,000 miles ... Also a '18 Pro, manual tranny, 3.5 V6 with 19,000 miles....Looks like I need to sell the Pro, Lol.

Tacoma's have lost reliability with each successive generation, frame rust issues aside, IMO.

Wouldn't touch a '24 with the turbo four with a 10 ft pole.

Amem

NRA and NTA Life Member
www.BackroadsRevised@etsy.com

Re: New Tacomas vs Older Ones [Re: gregh] #8123959
04/18/24 09:12 AM
04/18/24 09:12 AM
Kentucky
ky_coyote_hunter Offline
trapper
trapper

Kentucky
Originally Posted by gregh
ky coyote hunter: I just replace the gauge cluster on an 06 tacoma. it took 4 months to get the parts from Toyota and had to pitch a fit to do that.

Wow, sorry to hear that. Hate to see part availability problems, and hope that's not the new normal.

Member - FTA
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread