No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Getting old #8128810
04/26/24 06:13 AM
04/26/24 06:13 AM
Northern Ohio ...
S
Sullivan K Offline OP
"Keith"
Sullivan K  Offline OP
"Keith"
S

Northern Ohio ...
Probably five years ago I decided that I wanted to try and catch a coyote. I trapped when I was a kid, I’ll be 73 this year, but all that I trapped were muskrats. I have only set a few traps in the last thirty years, catching a few nuisance coon and a few muskrats that were causing a problem, where I used to work.
My brother gave me a couple of traps, that were the proper size for coyotes, to use, and a kind person sent me some lures. That fall all it did was rain and I wasn’t going to try to catch a coyote in the mud.
Then something happened to my ability to walk, my feet did not move properly, I could barely walk. I started getting around with a cane. I finally went to the doctor and he sent me to rehab. Rehab helped very much. I got to the point where I still didn’t walk very well but only needed a cane in the morning.
Then I fell a couple of months ago and dislocated my shoulder. I really screwed it up. So now my right arm does not work very well. I have lost a lot of range of motion and it still hurts.
So, I still don’t walk very well and I have an arm that isn’t much.
I never did get a chance to try and catch a coyote and there is a coon that is causing me problems now, but I am unable to set a trap.
I just had to hire a local hand handyman to come over and do some stuff for me that involves climbing a ladder, which I cannot do anymore.
That’s my sob story.

I guess what this all boils down to is that you better enjoy things while you can. This getting old and losing the ability to do things is frustrating.

My name ain't Keith
Re: Getting old [Re: Sullivan K] #8128816
04/26/24 06:25 AM
04/26/24 06:25 AM
Philippines, s.e. asia,ohio
west river rogue Online content
trapper
west river rogue  Online Content
trapper

Originally Posted by Sullivan K
Probably five years ago I decided that I wanted to try and catch a coyote. I trapped when I was a kid, I’ll be 73 this year, but all that I trapped were muskrats. I have only set a few traps in the last thirty years, catching a few nuisance coon and a few muskrats that were causing a problem, where I used to work.
My brother gave me a couple of traps, that were the proper size for coyotes, to use, and a kind person sent me some lures. That fall all it did was rain and I wasn’t going to try to catch a coyote in the mud.
Then something happened to my ability to walk, my feet did not move properly, I could barely walk. I started getting around with a cane. I finally went to the doctor and he sent me to rehab. Rehab helped very much. I got to the point where I still didn’t walk very well but only needed a cane in the morning.
Then I fell a couple of months ago and dislocated my shoulder. I really screwed it up. So now my right arm does not work very well. I have lost a lot of range of motion and it still hurts.
I never did get a chance to try and catch a coyote and there is a coon that is causing me problems now, but I am unable to set a trap.
I just had to hire a local hand handyman to come over and do some stuff for me that involves climbing a ladder, which I cannot do anymore.
That’s my sob story.

I guess what this all boils down to is that you better enjoy things while you can. This getting old and losing the ability to do things is frustrating.

never give up

Re: Getting old [Re: Sullivan K] #8128837
04/26/24 07:10 AM
04/26/24 07:10 AM
Minnesota
330-Trapper Offline

trapper
330-Trapper  Offline

trapper

Minnesota
It sure isn't the Golden years.

NRA and NTA Life Member
www.BackroadsRevised@etsy.com

Re: Getting old [Re: Sullivan K] #8128838
04/26/24 07:11 AM
04/26/24 07:11 AM
Southern Illinois
F
Foxpaw Offline
trapper
Foxpaw  Offline
trapper
F

Southern Illinois
Yeah getting old is the pits. Still its better than the alternative. I can't praise God if I;m buried in the Silent City. Having kids to help fill in with stuff would be great , but we don't have any. Some things I used to think was important aren't so much anymore. I'm finding setting my priorities to get the best out of what I have left seems logical. When I'm feeling down counting my blessings seem to pick me up !

Re: Getting old [Re: Sullivan K] #8128846
04/26/24 07:30 AM
04/26/24 07:30 AM
Wisconsin
R
RdFx Offline
trapper
RdFx  Offline
trapper
R

Wisconsin
Keith you ARENT old your MATURE !. I have same problems though only 78, dont give up . As a MATURE person we are slower.....older..... smarter! Now a bit of advice at least works for me..... lmprovise ...Adapt..... Overcome !

RdFx
Re: Getting old [Re: Sullivan K] #8128861
04/26/24 08:08 AM
04/26/24 08:08 AM
Central, SD
Law Dog Offline
trapper
Law Dog  Offline
trapper

Central, SD
Shoulders take a long time to heal over a year sometimes just keep using it as much as you can. I tore my left shoulder about a year ago it’s at about 90% now that 10% is coming slowly. Reaching over my head is the last challenge now but the strength is coming back it’s come a long ways from a year ago.

My therapy is to just keep moving and use it as much as possible the no pain no gain saying applies here. Getting a box of laundry detergent off the upper shelf was impossible 6 months ago now it’s doable. Be like a shark never stop moving.

Was born in a Big City Will die in the Country OK with that!

Jerry Herbst
Re: Getting old [Re: Sullivan K] #8128905
04/26/24 09:12 AM
04/26/24 09:12 AM
west river rogue Online content
trapper
west river rogue  Online Content
trapper

fixed both mine when pt failed...swimming helped alot.

Re: Getting old [Re: Sullivan K] #8128921
04/26/24 09:48 AM
04/26/24 09:48 AM
SE Kentucky
K
kytrapper Offline
trapper
kytrapper  Offline
trapper
K

SE Kentucky
I have a very good friend, great trapper, Turkey hunter and fisherman that’s fighting the same thing. His heart and his mind are still in his twenties but his body is in his late eighties. I’m turning 60 this year and I’m trying to stay in shape to participate before, if I live, my body starts breaking down.

Last edited by kytrapper; 04/26/24 09:49 AM.
Re: Getting old [Re: Sullivan K] #8128941
04/26/24 10:27 AM
04/26/24 10:27 AM
MN, Land of 10,000 Lakes
T
Trapper7 Offline
trapper
Trapper7  Offline
trapper
T

MN, Land of 10,000 Lakes
This past week I trapped 3 beaver. The largest one weighed 61 pounds. I had to carry it about 100 yards. I'm in my 80s. I made it with a few stops to catch my breath. 30 years ago, I wouldn't have needed to stop.

Must be nice to eat ice cream as fast as you want and not have to worry about brain freeze.
Re: Getting old [Re: Sullivan K] #8128950
04/26/24 10:38 AM
04/26/24 10:38 AM
Henderson, N.Y. Jefferson Co.
W
walleyed Offline
trapper
walleyed  Offline
trapper
W

Henderson, N.Y. Jefferson Co.
Originally Posted by Sullivan K
That’s my sob story.

I know how you feel, Sullivan K, and I'm only 64 & Change !!!

Just keep moving as best you can & don't stop !!!

Hope you get to feeling better.

walleyed

"Provisional/Interim" member of NYS Trappers Association
Jefferson Co. Fur Harvesters

I Support Non-Resident Trapping

Re: Getting old [Re: Sullivan K] #8128951
04/26/24 10:39 AM
Northern Maine
Bruce T Offline
trapper
Bruce T  Offline
trapper

Northern Maine
Keep on trucking.

Nevada bound
Re: Getting old [Re: Sullivan K] #8128952
Wisconsin
G
Guss Online content
trapper
Guss  Online Content
trapper
G

Wisconsin
If you eat right when growing up and stay attractive your body will take care of you in latter years.

Re: Getting old [Re: Sullivan K] #8128955
04/26/24 10:42 AM
04/26/24 10:42 AM
shelby, ohio
T
tightwad Offline
trapper
tightwad  Offline
trapper
T

shelby, ohio
A friend of mine explained to me years ago that the only thing golden is your pee

Re: Getting old [Re: Sullivan K] #8128961
04/26/24 11:03 AM
04/26/24 11:03 AM
james bay frontierOnt.
B
Boco Offline
trapper
Boco  Offline
trapper
B

james bay frontierOnt.
Physical working for a living when young,takes its toll when you are older.
Injurys of all sorts heal fast when you are young.Injuries when you are in your 60s or older take a lot longer to heal.
Wear and tear on joints when you are young and working hard all the time can come back to give you a little grief when you are older.
The better shape you are in the easier everything will be.
Walking a few blocks worth every day in good shoes is one of the best things you can do to keep limber when you are older.

Last edited by Boco; 04/26/24 11:03 AM.

Forget that fear of gravity-get a little savagery in your life.
Re: Getting old [Re: Boco] #8128979
04/26/24 11:46 AM
04/26/24 11:46 AM
MN, Land of 10,000 Lakes
T
Trapper7 Offline
trapper
Trapper7  Offline
trapper
T

MN, Land of 10,000 Lakes
Originally Posted by Boco
Physical working for a living when young,takes its toll when you are older.
Injurys of all sorts heal fast when you are young.Injuries when you are in your 60s or older take a lot longer to heal.
Wear and tear on joints when you are young and working hard all the time can come back to give you a little grief when you are older.
The better shape you are in the easier everything will be.
Walking a few blocks worth every day in good shoes is one of the best things you can do to keep limber when you are older.

I agree with you. I started going to health clubs in my 30s. I still go Monday - Friday, take weekends off. I lift weights for 25 minutes and do aerobics for 25 minutes. That and not being sedentary has made all the difference.

Must be nice to eat ice cream as fast as you want and not have to worry about brain freeze.
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread