Strictly Trapping


No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter


Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum


~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~


Trading Post
(Please support F&T Trading Post, our sponsor for the Trapping Only Forum)



TrappersPost
Please support Trappers post, a sponsor of the Strictly Trapping Forum



Print Thread
Hop To
Pen scrapings #8653373
08/26/26 08:58 AM
08/26/26 08:58 AM
Joined: Jul 2024
Gulf coast
M
Marshcat Offline OP
trapper
Marshcat  Offline OP
trapper
M

Joined: Jul 2024
Gulf coast
Hey coyote trappers, have anyone used these at sets? And what’s the best way to use them.

Re: Pen scrapings [Re: Marshcat] #8653390
08/26/26 09:42 AM
08/26/26 09:42 AM
Joined: Oct 2011
Idaho
B
bearcat2 Offline
trapper
bearcat2  Offline
trapper
B

Joined: Oct 2011
Idaho
I've never kept coyotes, but I use dog crap from cleaning up around my dogs. Use it as an attractant at a flat set, basically like you would a turd you picked up. Sometimes I add lure, more often I don't.

Re: Pen scrapings [Re: bearcat2] #8653411
08/26/26 10:16 AM
08/26/26 10:16 AM
Joined: Jul 2024
Gulf coast
M
Marshcat Offline OP
trapper
Marshcat  Offline OP
trapper
M

Joined: Jul 2024
Gulf coast
I got some recently and have never used them before but they are very smelly so if I put them in the path of travel I’m sure they’ll investigate.
We all know a flat set is deadly.

Re: Pen scrapings [Re: Marshcat] #8662430
09/16/26 10:13 PM
09/16/26 10:13 PM
Joined: Apr 2007
Central Ohio
LT GREY Offline
trapper
LT GREY  Offline
trapper

Joined: Apr 2007
Central Ohio
Q) when you say "scrapings", are you talking about what bones or remains that a penned animal doesn't eat ?

Re: Pen scrapings [Re: Marshcat] #8662565
09/17/26 07:54 AM
09/17/26 07:54 AM
Joined: Jul 2024
Gulf coast
M
Marshcat Offline OP
trapper
Marshcat  Offline OP
trapper
M

Joined: Jul 2024
Gulf coast
No sir…. It’s the scat from the bottom of the cage that is collected from live market coyotes. Fresh, moist and smelly. Nothing more than a bucket of fresh crap LOL. Robert Waddell seems to be the only trapper I know who uses it on they’re trapline. With the lack of replies on this thread I guess it’s something that’s not on most people’s radar. Anyway I’m gonna use them this season as flat sets.

Re: Pen scrapings [Re: Marshcat] #8662690
09/17/26 11:18 AM
09/17/26 11:18 AM
Joined: Aug 2011
Craigmont, Idaho
M
marty weatherup Offline
trapper
marty weatherup  Offline
trapper
M

Joined: Aug 2011
Craigmont, Idaho
Sounds like the perfect base for some coyote pudding. I pick up fresh coyote droppings, mix with some ground glands, a little urine and some glycerin to make a sticky paste. Pretty much the same stuff Paul Antzak did in one of his videos. I’ve had good luck with it on flat sets and tee bone sets.

Also pick up my English setter’s turds in the yard and use them in flat sets or mafia sets. Sometimes I think a fresh dog turd is more effective than a local coyote turd for getting a coyote to stop and work the set. I don’t have any empirical evidence to that end, just a gut feeling.


Trail cameras and fresh snow have broke a lot of trapper’s hearts.
Re: Pen scrapings [Re: Marshcat] #8662706
09/17/26 11:38 AM
09/17/26 11:38 AM
Joined: Dec 2021
Alaska
T
Tundra1 Offline
trapper
Tundra1  Offline
trapper
T

Joined: Dec 2021
Alaska
I wonder if this would work for cats too using cat turds? I've also considered using my daughter's rabbit's bedding as an attractant.

Re: Pen scrapings [Re: Marshcat] #8663017
09/17/26 09:39 PM
09/17/26 09:39 PM
Joined: Aug 2011
james bay frontierOnt.
B
Boco Offline
trapper
Boco  Offline
trapper
B

Joined: Aug 2011
james bay frontierOnt.
I wouldnt mess around with that stuff.
High probability of getting hydatid cysts in your lungs.
Treatment for that is wicked-chemotherapy.

Last edited by Boco; 09/17/26 09:40 PM.

Forget that fear of gravity-get a little savagery in your life.
Re: Pen scrapings [Re: Marshcat] #8663574
09/18/26 10:09 PM
09/18/26 10:09 PM
Joined: Jul 2024
Gulf coast
M
Marshcat Offline OP
trapper
Marshcat  Offline OP
trapper
M

Joined: Jul 2024
Gulf coast
Ok thanks Boco didn’t realize the risk involved in handling it. I already wear nitrile gloves but maybe I’ll ad a face mask.

Re: Pen scrapings [Re: Marshcat] #8664893
09/21/26 02:25 PM
09/21/26 02:25 PM
Joined: Jun 2026
MI
G
Gabby Sr Offline
trapper
Gabby Sr  Offline
trapper
G

Joined: Jun 2026
MI
I know several guys in addition to Robert that use pen scrapings, myself included.

Re: Pen scrapings [Re: Marshcat] #8664915
09/21/26 04:06 PM
09/21/26 04:06 PM
Joined: Jul 2018
USA
T
TheCoyotero Offline
trapper
TheCoyotero  Offline
trapper
T

Joined: Jul 2018
USA
I use these type of attractants for coyote "milling stations".


Sit with warriors. The conversation is different.
- F&AM -
Re: Pen scrapings [Re: Marshcat] #8665190
09/22/26 06:47 AM
09/22/26 06:47 AM
Joined: Jul 2024
Gulf coast
M
Marshcat Offline OP
trapper
Marshcat  Offline OP
trapper
M

Joined: Jul 2024
Gulf coast
Milling stations? Like placing turds in different spots for the coyote sniff each turd with a trap strategically placed around them?

Re: Pen scrapings [Re: Marshcat] #8665438
09/22/26 05:16 PM
09/22/26 05:16 PM
Joined: Jul 2018
USA
T
TheCoyotero Offline
trapper
TheCoyotero  Offline
trapper
T

Joined: Jul 2018
USA
Milling stations can be made and placed in a centralized location, especially if you are trapping a specific property and are trying to pick up the majority of the animals living or traveling in the area. They can be made with natural bait/urine/scat/pen litter/attractants, etc. and are designed to intrigue the passing predators to "check them out." When you make them and verify they are being visited regularly by coyotes or other predators, you then proceed to set traps on the travelways to and from these locations.

One thing I will suggest is not to use any lure or bait that you would otherwise use at a nearby set location, as you will not want animals acclimated to those smells.


Sit with warriors. The conversation is different.
- F&AM -
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  Drifter 

Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.7.1