|
Aging Deer
#8654201
08/30/26 12:31 PM
08/30/26 12:31 PM
|
Joined: Dec 2006
Midlands South Carolina
SGT. C
OP
trapper
|
OP
trapper
Joined: Dec 2006
Midlands South Carolina
|
Who does it? I harvested a buck last Sunday and quarter him. He's been aging in a igloo cooler with ice since.Processing today or tomorrow. Some folks don't like the somewhat mild to moderate aging smell. Tastes just fine. Backstrap tonight.
Do you process right away or age?
Sarge
A hero voluntary walks into the dangers of the unknown Freedom is accomplished by good men willing to do bad things to bad people
|
|
|
Re: Aging Deer
[Re: SGT. C]
#8654233
08/30/26 02:03 PM
08/30/26 02:03 PM
|
Joined: Dec 2006
Very SE Nebraska
Gary Benson
trapper
|
trapper
Joined: Dec 2006
Very SE Nebraska
|
I knew a guy in NE that let a deer hang until the flies ate the eyeballs out, then cut it up. I cut it up soon, package it and freeze it, then unthaw it and eat it. I think freezing it helps.
Life ain't supposed to be easy.
|
|
|
Re: Aging Deer
[Re: SGT. C]
#8654240
08/30/26 02:21 PM
08/30/26 02:21 PM
|
Joined: Dec 2006
St. Louis Co, Mo
BigBob
trapper
|
trapper
Joined: Dec 2006
St. Louis Co, Mo
|
I get it home ASAP, and get it pealed. Then I let it hang for a few days or a week, depending on the air temps.
Every kid needs a Dog and a Curmudgeon.
Remember Bowe Bergdahl, the traitor.
Beware! Jill Pudlewski, Ron Oates and Keven Begesse are liars and thiefs!
|
|
|
Re: Aging Deer
[Re: SGT. C]
#8654263
08/30/26 03:08 PM
08/30/26 03:08 PM
|
Joined: Dec 2006
SEPA
Lugnut
trapper
|
trapper
Joined: Dec 2006
SEPA
|
If the temps cooperate and stay between 33? and about 43? I?ll leave them hang up to 10 days. I think it makes a big difference in the quality of the meat.
Eh...wot?
|
|
|
Re: Aging Deer
[Re: SGT. C]
#8654284
08/30/26 03:36 PM
08/30/26 03:36 PM
|
Joined: Apr 2009
South Ga - Almost Florida
Swamp Wolf
trapper
|
trapper
Joined: Apr 2009
South Ga - Almost Florida
|
Down here in the South, we don't hang deer unless you have a walk-in cooler. They don't do well in the garage when the heat index is 105 degrees...lol
About a week in an ice bath in a cooler...quartered up. Usually drain water and add more ice mid-week.
Then do my own processing...which involves cutting off bone and removing all sinew/cartilage/silver tissue. Then slicing meat into various size pieces, cross hatch cubing, then vacuum sealing.
I don't grind any. Don't care for venison burger in anything. I cube it all.
Thank God For Your Blessings! Taste Your Words Before You Spit Them Out!
Resource Protection Service
|
|
|
Re: Aging Deer
[Re: Swamp Wolf]
#8654288
08/30/26 03:46 PM
08/30/26 03:46 PM
|
Joined: Feb 2021
Wisconsin
Mad Scientist
trapper
|
trapper
Joined: Feb 2021
Wisconsin
|
Down here in the South, we don't hang deer unless you have a walk-in cooler. They don't do well in the garage when the heat index is 105 degrees...lol
About a week in an ice bath in a cooler...quartered up. Usually drain water and add more ice mid-week.
Then do my own processing...which involves cutting off bone and removing all sinew/cartilage/silver tissue. Then slicing meat into various size pieces, cross hatch cubing, then vacuum sealing.
I don't grind any. Don't care for venison burger in anything. I cube it all. Do you just slow cook it then? I mix 20 percent bacon with it and grind into hamburger then make patties and freeze.Quick delicious meal.
|
|
|
Re: Aging Deer
[Re: SGT. C]
#8654292
08/30/26 04:12 PM
08/30/26 04:12 PM
|
Joined: Dec 2006
SEPA
Lugnut
trapper
|
trapper
Joined: Dec 2006
SEPA
|
I make apple sausage out of my ground venison. I used to mix it with about 20% pork fat but switched to beef fat and like it a lot better.
Eh...wot?
|
|
|
Re: Aging Deer
[Re: Mad Scientist]
#8654374
08/30/26 07:41 PM
08/30/26 07:41 PM
|
Joined: Apr 2009
South Ga - Almost Florida
Swamp Wolf
trapper
|
trapper
Joined: Apr 2009
South Ga - Almost Florida
|
Down here in the South, we don't hang deer unless you have a walk-in cooler. They don't do well in the garage when the heat index is 105 degrees...lol
About a week in an ice bath in a cooler...quartered up. Usually drain water and add more ice mid-week.
Then do my own processing...which involves cutting off bone and removing all sinew/cartilage/silver tissue. Then slicing meat into various size pieces, cross hatch cubing, then vacuum sealing.
I don't grind any. Don't care for venison burger in anything. I cube it all. Do you just slow cook it then? I mix 20 percent bacon with it and grind into hamburger then make patties and freeze.Quick delicious meal. I've mixed it with bacon and with beef fat and ground it. Tried 50%, tried 80% fat, tried 33% bacon. Tried it over and over again. It just has a taste I dont like in burger meat. It changes chili and spaghetti flavor. Hamburgers are a definite no. Now the cubed....it cooks rapidly....either cube steak and gravy in a skillet, floured and fried, or grilled. Delicious! I package the smaller pieces together and the larger pieces together. The larger cubed pieces grill nicely in about 5 or 6 minutes per side. No knife needed.....tear apart with a fork.
Thank God For Your Blessings! Taste Your Words Before You Spit Them Out!
Resource Protection Service
|
|
|
Re: Aging Deer
[Re: ColdspringKidd]
#8654467
08/30/26 11:37 PM
08/30/26 11:37 PM
|
Joined: Apr 2009
South Ga - Almost Florida
Swamp Wolf
trapper
|
trapper
Joined: Apr 2009
South Ga - Almost Florida
|
And shoot by the way you feed them things out they should taste like a finished steer anyway lol The quality taste is there. Just bought the first half ton of corn yesterday.... ![[Linked Image]](https://trapperman.com/forum/attachments/usergals/2026/08/full-11603-299711-1000005425.jpg) But, there is a lot of natural food this year... ![[Linked Image]](https://trapperman.com/forum/attachments/usergals/2026/08/full-11603-299712-1000005350.jpg) ![[Linked Image]](https://trapperman.com/forum/attachments/usergals/2026/08/full-11603-299713-1000005426.jpg)
Thank God For Your Blessings! Taste Your Words Before You Spit Them Out!
Resource Protection Service
|
|
|
Re: Aging Deer
[Re: SGT. C]
#8654492
08/31/26 01:30 AM
08/31/26 01:30 AM
|
Joined: May 2011
Oakland, MS
yotetrapper30
trapper
|
trapper
Joined: May 2011
Oakland, MS
|
What is the fruit in that first pic, Swamp? I don't recognize the leaves...
Regret is the one thing I just won't do ~~ Beth Dutton
Every truce is an opportunity to reload.
|
|
|
|
|