No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter


Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum ~ Live Chat

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum


~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~


Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products


Print Thread
Hop To
Page 10 of 11 1 2 … 8 9 10 11
Re: Acorn gathering [Re: newfox1] #8643016
07/29/26 06:46 PM
07/29/26 06:46 PM
Joined: Nov 2014
east central WI
D
Dirty D Offline
trapper
Dirty D  Offline
trapper
D

Joined: Nov 2014
east central WI
Originally Posted by newfox1
Very interesting thread, I have two white oak trees on our 100 acres, lots of red oak. We have a healthy deer population. This spring we got 20 white oak bare root seedlings from the county, 16”-24” tall, nice little trees. Almost all of them grew leafs cept maple a couple. The deer have eaten every one. If you wanna grow anything here you need to cage it til it’s to tall for the deer to reach the top. One white oak is by our deer watch, the deer always check under it before going to red oak.


I know what you intended but when you say a "healthy deer population" but in reality you have a very unhealthy deer population.

When White Oaks can not reach maturity due to deer browse you have too many deer, very unhealthy for the deer and for the rest of nature.


I don't plant Oaks for the deer, I plant them as they are becoming rare and I'd like to think that there will be some left in my woods when they are becoming rarer by the day every where else.

AJE, it'll be interesting to see if your method of planting lots of acorns in hopes of overwhelming the deer so that a few survive will work.
I doubt it will, it takes a good decade but usually more for a Oak to get past the deer. Talked to a DNR forester, he was telling me of a 40 acre plot that was planted in white, bur and red oaks 12 years ago.
It had to be fenced so that the trees would survive.

Re: Acorn gathering [Re: AJE] #8643034
07/29/26 07:57 PM
07/29/26 07:57 PM
Joined: Mar 2016
lewis county,new york
N
newfox1 Offline
trapper
newfox1  Offline
trapper
N

Joined: Mar 2016
lewis county,new york
Dirty D, by healthy I mean we have plenty. Maybe I need to get uncle Jbyrd up here. He’d probably freeze.lol

Re: Acorn gathering [Re: AJE] #8643101
07/29/26 11:03 PM
07/29/26 11:03 PM
Joined: Aug 2010
Asheville, NC
C
charles Offline
trapper
charles  Offline
trapper
C

Joined: Aug 2010
Asheville, NC
I live is a closed 72 acre community and we have lots of wildlife. No surprise that they like white oak acorns. A resident flock of Canada geese live in two ponds here. They also prefer white oak acorns and they only dine under a few trees. Not all white oaks taste the same, evidently.

Re: Acorn gathering [Re: AJE] #8647389
08/11/26 02:00 AM
08/11/26 02:00 AM
Joined: Jan 2016
WI - Wisconsin
A
AJE Offline OP
trapper
AJE  Offline OP
trapper
A

Joined: Jan 2016
WI - Wisconsin
I started gathering acorns today. In 1 hr & 20 minutes I got several hundred bur oak. It was easy picking. This is the same date I started gathering last year. I'll probably start planting anytime between now and January.

I think what I'm doing is worthwhile. I plant so many that even if less than 10% make it long term, I'm probably doing pretty well


Last edited by AJE; 08/11/26 02:00 AM.
Re: Acorn gathering [Re: AJE] #8647420
08/11/26 06:59 AM
08/11/26 06:59 AM
Joined: Mar 2026
michigan
D
Dahlgren Trapper Offline
trapper
Dahlgren Trapper  Offline
trapper
D

Joined: Mar 2026
michigan
are you seeing any small trees ?

Re: Acorn gathering [Re: AJE] #8647787
08/12/26 12:06 AM
08/12/26 12:06 AM
Joined: Jan 2016
WI - Wisconsin
A
AJE Offline OP
trapper
AJE  Offline OP
trapper
A

Joined: Jan 2016
WI - Wisconsin
Last year I had a good take with the bur oak direct seeding. It seemed to work better than traditional white oak acorns, perhaps because I have poor soil.

Last edited by AJE; 08/12/26 12:07 AM.
Re: Acorn gathering [Re: saskbone] #8648589
08/14/26 01:02 AM
08/14/26 01:02 AM
Joined: Jan 2016
WI - Wisconsin
A
AJE Offline OP
trapper
AJE  Offline OP
trapper
A

Joined: Jan 2016
WI - Wisconsin
Originally Posted by saskbone
Yep root systems are unreal. 3 year old tree I dug. Sold a few hundred this spring. Dug most with the bobcat but this one I dug by hand just to see what the roots were doing. These ones love the sand.


[Linked Image]

Good post, thanks. And I also like that they do good in poorer soils. The long roots seem to help keep them from drying out.

At the moment I'm taking a break from de-capping bur oak acorns. I've done about a thousand this week. My fingers are sore.

Last edited by AJE; 08/14/26 01:07 AM.
Re: Acorn gathering [Re: AJE] #8652406
08/23/26 04:07 PM
08/23/26 04:07 PM
Joined: Jan 2016
WI - Wisconsin
A
AJE Offline OP
trapper
AJE  Offline OP
trapper
A

Joined: Jan 2016
WI - Wisconsin
I finished preparing these 2,220 bur oak acorns this morning. I could probably plant them anytime between now & winter

The trick will be keeping them at just the right ~humidity level in my fridge

I put 50 in each bag, leave them unzipped, & poked small vent holes in each bag

[Linked Image]

Direct seeding is neat.

Re: Acorn gathering [Re: AJE] #8655266
09/01/26 10:45 PM
09/01/26 10:45 PM
Joined: Jan 2016
WI - Wisconsin
A
AJE Offline OP
trapper
AJE  Offline OP
trapper
A

Joined: Jan 2016
WI - Wisconsin
Do any of you use Droste cans to plant your acorns?

Last edited by AJE; 09/01/26 10:46 PM.
Re: Acorn gathering [Re: Wanna Be] #8655480
09/02/26 01:50 PM
09/02/26 01:50 PM
Joined: Dec 2006
St. Louis Co, Mo
B
BigBob Offline
trapper
BigBob  Offline
trapper
B

Joined: Dec 2006
St. Louis Co, Mo
Originally Posted by Wanna Be
It’s like you can’t get rid of them or kill them, lol.

According to Wikipedia, most east coast states consider them an invasive.


Every kid needs a Dog and a Curmudgeon.

Remember Bowe Bergdahl, the traitor.

Beware! Jill Pudlewski, Ron Oates and Keven Begesse are liars and thiefs!
Re: Acorn gathering [Re: AJE] #8655494
09/02/26 02:44 PM
09/02/26 02:44 PM
Joined: May 2009
Champaign County, Ohio.
K
KeithC Offline
trapper
KeithC  Offline
trapper
K

Joined: May 2009
Champaign County, Ohio.
Today, I looked under around 40 large oak trees, both red and white, at two different parks, about 11 miles apart and didn't find a single acorn. I did get a mostly full bucket of buartnuts, some shagbark hickory nuts, a few heartnuts and a few buckeyes.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

It's miserably hot and humid here. I want to check out a friend's 284 acre farm, over half of which is woods and my woods and hayfield edges, but not until it cools down some.

Keith

Re: Acorn gathering [Re: AJE] #8655659
09/02/26 10:32 PM
09/02/26 10:32 PM
Joined: Jan 2016
WI - Wisconsin
A
AJE Offline OP
trapper
AJE  Offline OP
trapper
A

Joined: Jan 2016
WI - Wisconsin
Nice, Keith.

Keep at it, you'll find acorns soon I suspect.


If any of you decide to try the Droste method, here it is:

[Linked Image]

Last edited by AJE; 09/02/26 10:32 PM.
Re: Acorn gathering [Re: AJE] #8655673
09/02/26 11:10 PM
09/02/26 11:10 PM
Joined: May 2009
Champaign County, Ohio.
K
KeithC Offline
trapper
KeithC  Offline
trapper
K

Joined: May 2009
Champaign County, Ohio.
I think because of some weird Spring weather, our area may be devoid of acorns this year. There were almost no mulberries this year. I saw and ate 4. I have literal hundreds of mulberry trees.

For years, since my pear trees matured, I have had 400 plus pounds of pears a year. This year, I don't know that there is even a dozen pears total on 5 large trees.

Keith

Re: Acorn gathering [Re: AJE] #8655700
09/03/26 05:30 AM
09/03/26 05:30 AM
Joined: Mar 2026
michigan
D
Dahlgren Trapper Offline
trapper
Dahlgren Trapper  Offline
trapper
D

Joined: Mar 2026
michigan
keith did you get a late frost down there,??

Re: Acorn gathering [Re: AJE] #8655720
09/03/26 06:43 AM
09/03/26 06:43 AM
Joined: Nov 2025
Holmes co. Oh.
S
Skippy 1 Online content
trapper
Skippy 1  Online Content
trapper
S

Joined: Nov 2025
Holmes co. Oh.
We have 100 foot plus red oaks around the house and in the woods. Last 2 years there was a ton of acorns. It was like walking on marbles. filled 14 , 5 gallon buckets up with no trouble. This year I don't think I could fill a coffee can up. This winter just mite be real hard on the deer and other critters who eat on them all winter. Our shag and pig nut hickories all have lots of nuts on them. We had a wet spring and no real heavy frost. Don't know if the beech trees have any nuts on them or not.

Re: Acorn gathering [Re: Dahlgren Trapper] #8655834
09/03/26 12:01 PM
09/03/26 12:01 PM
Joined: May 2009
Champaign County, Ohio.
K
KeithC Offline
trapper
KeithC  Offline
trapper
K

Joined: May 2009
Champaign County, Ohio.
Originally Posted by Dahlgren Trapper
keith did you get a late frost down there,??


We got down to -22F last Winter, which froze out some plants. Frost wise, Spring seemed mostly okay. We had huge amounts of hard rain, that likely knocked the pollen down, followed by cold, that kept the pollinators from flying.

Keith

Re: Acorn gathering [Re: AJE] #8656837
09/06/26 01:00 AM
09/06/26 01:00 AM
Joined: Jan 2016
WI - Wisconsin
A
AJE Offline OP
trapper
AJE  Offline OP
trapper
A

Joined: Jan 2016
WI - Wisconsin
I started planting bur oak today. I noticed I had a nice take of white oak acorns from 2 years ago. This seems easier & cheaper than planting bare root seedlings.

Last edited by AJE; 09/06/26 01:02 AM.
Re: Acorn gathering [Re: AJE] #8656951
09/06/26 11:08 AM
09/06/26 11:08 AM
Joined: Nov 2014
east central WI
D
Dirty D Offline
trapper
Dirty D  Offline
trapper
D

Joined: Nov 2014
east central WI
Originally Posted by AJE
I started planting bur oak today. I noticed I had a nice take of white oak acorns from 2 years ago. This seems easier & cheaper than planting bare root seedlings.


Yea, its definetly cheaper and easier.

on the down side it takes longer and every year longer it takes to get above the deer is another year it might get hit.

I'm going plant a couple more White Oaks this fall.
I'm buying larger potted ones, they are great specimens and they save me about 10 years of time.

AJE, are you going to protect those against the deer?

Re: Acorn gathering [Re: AJE] #8657205
09/06/26 10:51 PM
09/06/26 10:51 PM
Joined: Jan 2016
WI - Wisconsin
A
AJE Offline OP
trapper
AJE  Offline OP
trapper
A

Joined: Jan 2016
WI - Wisconsin
I'm not so sure it takes longer. There's some evidence out there that direct seeding might catch up to bare root trees in height.

I might bud cap some of them til they get above deer height.

Last edited by AJE; 09/06/26 10:53 PM.
Re: Acorn gathering [Re: AJE] #8663837
09/19/26 04:54 PM
09/19/26 04:54 PM
Joined: Jan 2016
WI - Wisconsin
A
AJE Offline OP
trapper
AJE  Offline OP
trapper
A

Joined: Jan 2016
WI - Wisconsin
Interesting article about the roll squirrels play:

https://scienceblog.com/d-a-grey-sq...h-in-open-ground-a-fair-part-of-the-oak/

It appears squirrels treat white oak different than red oak when it comes to planting.

Page 10 of 11 1 2 … 8 9 10 11
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread