No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter


Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum ~ Live Chat

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum


~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~


Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products


Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Polyfill or Winder Screen ? [Re: ColdspringKidd] #8663553
09/18/26 09:24 PM
09/18/26 09:24 PM
Joined: Dec 2006
SEPA
L
Lugnut Offline
trapper
Lugnut  Offline
trapper
L

Joined: Dec 2006
SEPA
Straight peat moss.


Eh...wot?

Re: Polyfill or Winder Screen ? [Re: Lugnut] #8663556
09/18/26 09:25 PM
09/18/26 09:25 PM
Joined: Aug 2012
Blackduck Minnesota
B
Big Sam Offline
trapper
Big Sam  Offline
trapper
B

Joined: Aug 2012
Blackduck Minnesota
Originally Posted by Lugnut
Straight peat moss.

Is there a "gay" peat moss?
160user will be glad to know that there's an option.



Re: Polyfill or Winder Screen ? [Re: ColdspringKidd] #8663557
09/18/26 09:28 PM
09/18/26 09:28 PM
Joined: Oct 2009
east central WI
k snow Offline
trapper
k snow  Offline
trapper

Joined: Oct 2009
east central WI
Originally Posted by ColdspringKidd
… alright

… for some reason my number gets passed around to people wanting to kill coyotes in this area

.. had one call year before last from an ol boy… green as can be

… I told him what traps to buy… how to treat and tune them…. What lures get results… how to bed them solid with Polyfill under the pan … the basics

… he got geared up and went after em

.. called be after a week or so of having sets out

… said “ they keep digging my traps up ! “

…. I asked you bedding them solid ? … he said yes

… I asked him … sure it ain’t coons ? … he said no … coyote tracks all over

…. I asked … are you keeping your traps separate from your lure ? … he said yes

… I said well … I’m gonna have to ride over and see for myself

… I met him at his gate

… he had the traps he hadn’t set yet in a clean tote .. good wax job

… I said well … let’s ease on up .. find some sign .. and I’ll watch you make a set

… found an intersection with a few turds and a scratch up … I said this work … go on and make a set for him

.. he pulled a trap out .. his stake driver and a ammo can …


He keep the polyfil in the ammo can with his lures?


"in the midst of a savage wilderness to depend entirely upon their unassisted strength and hardihood"
Re: Polyfill or Winder Screen ? [Re: ColdspringKidd] #8663558
09/18/26 09:29 PM
09/18/26 09:29 PM
Joined: Aug 2012
Blackduck Minnesota
B
Big Sam Offline
trapper
Big Sam  Offline
trapper
B

Joined: Aug 2012
Blackduck Minnesota
Originally Posted by ColdspringKidd
… alright

… for some reason my number gets passed around to people wanting to kill coyotes in this area

.. had one call year before last from an ol boy… green as can be

… I told him what traps to buy… how to treat and tune them…. What lures get results… how to bed them solid with Polyfill under the pan … the basics

… he got geared up and went after em

.. called be after a week or so of having sets out

… said “ they keep digging my traps up ! “

…. I asked you bedding them solid ? … he said yes

… I asked him … sure it ain’t coons ? … he said no … coyote tracks all over

…. I asked … are you keeping your traps separate from your lure ? … he said yes

… I said well … I’m gonna have to ride over and see for myself

… I met him at his gate

… he had the traps he hadn’t set yet in a clean tote .. good wax job

… I said well … let’s ease on up .. find some sign .. and I’ll watch you make a set

… found an intersection with a few turds and a scratch up … I said this work … go on and make a set for him

.. he pulled a trap out .. his stake driver and a ammo can …

Can you please hurry up with part 2? The suspense is worse than the griz getterz post.



Re: Polyfill or Winder Screen ? [Re: Big Sam] #8663562
09/18/26 09:32 PM
09/18/26 09:32 PM
Joined: Dec 2006
SEPA
L
Lugnut Offline
trapper
Lugnut  Offline
trapper
L

Joined: Dec 2006
SEPA
Originally Posted by Big Sam
Originally Posted by Lugnut
Straight peat moss.

Is there a "gay" peat moss?
160user will be glad to know that there's an option.


Since that ain't my area of expertise, you'll have to find out from someone else.


Eh...wot?

Re: Polyfill or Winder Screen ? [Re: ColdspringKidd] #8663563
09/18/26 09:33 PM
09/18/26 09:33 PM
Joined: Jun 2026
Texas
ColdspringKidd Offline OP
trapper
ColdspringKidd  Offline OP
trapper

Joined: Jun 2026
Texas
lol

…. Ksnow solved the mystery lol

… common sense is taken for granted at times I guess lol

Re: Polyfill or Winder Screen ? [Re: ColdspringKidd] #8663564
09/18/26 09:40 PM
09/18/26 09:40 PM
Joined: Aug 2008
ny
U
upstateNY Offline
trapper
upstateNY  Offline
trapper
U

Joined: Aug 2008
ny
Originally Posted by ColdspringKidd
lol

…. Ksnow solved the mystery lol

… common sense is taken for granted at times I guess lol

Thought maybe the ammo box was for busten you if you couldnt teach him how to catch one. smile


the wheels of the gods turn very slowly
Re: Polyfill or Winder Screen ? [Re: ColdspringKidd] #8663568
09/18/26 09:50 PM
09/18/26 09:50 PM
Joined: Apr 2007
ohio
Ohio Wolverine Offline
trapper
Ohio Wolverine  Offline
trapper

Joined: Apr 2007
ohio
LOL I kept the ziplock bag in a coat pocket, not near any bait or lure.
Always used bare hands to use them.
Gloves on to use any baits or lures.
All this following Standley Hawbaker book.
Had a very nice reputation back before the fur boom.
Then I couldn't keep a trap in the ground with all the night hunters.


We have met the enemy and the enemy is us!
Re: Polyfill or Winder Screen ? [Re: ColdspringKidd] #8663569
09/18/26 09:54 PM
09/18/26 09:54 PM
Joined: Jun 2026
Texas
ColdspringKidd Offline OP
trapper
ColdspringKidd  Offline OP
trapper

Joined: Jun 2026
Texas
… this hand had it pulled apart into pieces the size you want to go under the pan

… just laying in that box amongst spilt lure lol

Re: Polyfill or Winder Screen ? [Re: ColdspringKidd] #8663571
09/18/26 10:03 PM
09/18/26 10:03 PM
Joined: Dec 2006
williamsburg ks
D
danny clifton Online content
"Grumpy Old Man"
danny clifton  Online Content
"Grumpy Old Man"
D

Joined: Dec 2006
williamsburg ks
i use wax paper a lot. pack rats dont mess with it


Those who would give up essential liberty, to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790)
Re: Polyfill or Winder Screen ? [Re: ColdspringKidd] #8663573
09/18/26 10:07 PM
09/18/26 10:07 PM
Joined: Jun 2026
Texas
ColdspringKidd Offline OP
trapper
ColdspringKidd  Offline OP
trapper

Joined: Jun 2026
Texas
… I ain’t got packrats … but have had a few crows caught by the face from pulling it out and pecking around the pan lol

Re: Polyfill or Winder Screen ? [Re: ColdspringKidd] #8663577
09/18/26 10:16 PM
09/18/26 10:16 PM
Joined: Apr 2009
South Ga - Almost Florida
Swamp Wolf Offline
trapper
Swamp Wolf  Offline
trapper

Joined: Apr 2009
South Ga - Almost Florida
Have used polyfil for 2 decades.

Tried this 1/2" thick soft rubber padding. Fits/works so perfectly under a #2 Bridger dogless pan that I'll never use polyfil again. Just have to cut them into pan-sized rectangles....but that goes quickly.


[Linked Image]




Thank God For Your Blessings!
Taste Your Words Before You Spit Them Out!

Resource Protection Service

Re: Polyfill or Winder Screen ? [Re: ColdspringKidd] #8663587
09/18/26 10:34 PM
09/18/26 10:34 PM
Joined: Jun 2026
Texas
ColdspringKidd Offline OP
trapper
ColdspringKidd  Offline OP
trapper

Joined: Jun 2026
Texas
^^^^looks like something you’d find in Rosanne Barr’s bathroom

… how many sets can you get out of it ?

Re: Polyfill or Winder Screen ? [Re: ColdspringKidd] #8663593
09/18/26 10:41 PM
09/18/26 10:41 PM
Joined: Jun 2026
Texas
ColdspringKidd Offline OP
trapper
ColdspringKidd  Offline OP
trapper

Joined: Jun 2026
Texas
… I asked you a question

.. and I expect an answer

Re: Polyfill or Winder Screen ? [Re: ColdspringKidd] #8663595
09/18/26 10:49 PM
09/18/26 10:49 PM
Joined: Dec 2024
AR
J
J Staton Offline
trapper
J Staton  Offline
trapper
J

Joined: Dec 2024
AR
Polyfill

Re: Polyfill or Winder Screen ? [Re: ColdspringKidd] #8663596
09/18/26 10:49 PM
09/18/26 10:49 PM
Joined: Apr 2007
ohio
Ohio Wolverine Offline
trapper
Ohio Wolverine  Offline
trapper

Joined: Apr 2007
ohio
Originally Posted by ColdspringKidd
^^^^looks like something you’d find in Rosanne Barr’s bathroom

… how many sets can you get out of it ?


Sure you didn't mean Rosie O 'Donald?


We have met the enemy and the enemy is us!
Re: Polyfill or Winder Screen ? [Re: ColdspringKidd] #8663598
09/18/26 10:50 PM
09/18/26 10:50 PM
Joined: Jun 2026
Texas
ColdspringKidd Offline OP
trapper
ColdspringKidd  Offline OP
trapper

Joined: Jun 2026
Texas
That works as well

Re: Polyfill or Winder Screen ? [Re: Swamp Wolf] #8663600
09/18/26 10:51 PM
09/18/26 10:51 PM
Joined: Aug 2012
Blackduck Minnesota
B
Big Sam Offline
trapper
Big Sam  Offline
trapper
B

Joined: Aug 2012
Blackduck Minnesota
Originally Posted by Swamp Wolf
Have used polyfil for 2 decades.

Tried this 1/2" thick soft rubber padding. Fits/works so perfectly under a #2 Bridger dogless pan that I'll never use polyfil again. Just have to cut them into pan-sized rectangles....but that goes quickly.


[Linked Image]



Good tip. Thank you.



Re: Polyfill or Winder Screen ? [Re: ColdspringKidd] #8663609
09/18/26 11:05 PM
09/18/26 11:05 PM
Joined: Apr 2009
South Ga - Almost Florida
Swamp Wolf Offline
trapper
Swamp Wolf  Offline
trapper

Joined: Apr 2009
South Ga - Almost Florida
Originally Posted by ColdspringKidd
… I asked you a question

.. and I expect an answer

Not sure yet....haven't got near the end of the 2 ft wide by 6ft roll. Hundreds will be my guess.

Material is very close to the underalls that can be bought at many trapping supply dealers, but is a bit softer...which I like because it doesn't affect pan tension.


Thank God For Your Blessings!
Taste Your Words Before You Spit Them Out!

Resource Protection Service

Re: Polyfill or Winder Screen ? [Re: ColdspringKidd] #8663614
09/18/26 11:20 PM
09/18/26 11:20 PM
Joined: Apr 2007
ohio
Ohio Wolverine Offline
trapper
Ohio Wolverine  Offline
trapper

Joined: Apr 2007
ohio
Something I did different, while fox trapping, was I ran a water line for muskrats, 2 of them were worth more that a fox in the late 60's, and always wore hip boots so I left less scent while setting traps for fox.
Wish I could be back there again.
Go from fox trapping right to water trapping, and back again.
Might have helped on the fox line.


We have met the enemy and the enemy is us!
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread