Wilderness Trapping and Living


No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter


Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum


~Dobbins' Catalog~

ATS
(Please support Ted's Fur Shed, our sponsor for the Wilderness Page)


Alaska Trappers Association

Print Thread
Hop To
Looking at getting a snowmachine #8664900
09/21/26 03:10 PM
09/21/26 03:10 PM
Joined: Dec 2021
Alaska
T
Tundra1 Offline OP
trapper
Tundra1  Offline OP
trapper
T

Joined: Dec 2021
Alaska
Much to my shame, despite living in Alaska for over 20 years, I've never owned a snowmachine, and only ridden one once many years ago with my reserve unit. I'm considering buying a snowmachine either this year or next. What snowmachines do you recommend? Looking for something I can use for trapping, hunting, or ice fishing. Don't want or need some crazy mountain sled like you see at Turnagain Pass. Not trying to break the bank, but I'm also not opposed to buying something new.

Additionally, what do you recommend for sleds to tow behind, and what all do you carry on yours?

Re: Looking at getting a snowmachine [Re: Tundra1] #8665165
09/22/26 04:23 AM
09/22/26 04:23 AM
Joined: Sep 2013
AK
F
FL cracker in AK Offline
trapper
FL cracker in AK  Offline
trapper
F

Joined: Sep 2013
AK
Skidoo Expedition LE are hard to beat with a 900 ACE. Alaska Sled Works makes a good sled.


Psalm 34:6
Re: Looking at getting a snowmachine [Re: Tundra1] #8665182
09/22/26 06:19 AM
09/22/26 06:19 AM
Joined: Oct 2011
Idaho
B
bearcat2 Offline
trapper
bearcat2  Offline
trapper
B

Joined: Oct 2011
Idaho
For a beginner, I will recommend the Expedition over the Skandic models because of their stability, with one of the ACE engines. I prefer the 900 but both it and the 600 are good engines. The wide track and super wide track models come with high and low range, no idea why the 16" version doesn't. I would recommend the wide track for pulling a sled, almost more for the low range than for extra track.

Re: Looking at getting a snowmachine [Re: Tundra1] #8665374
09/22/26 03:12 PM
09/22/26 03:12 PM
Joined: Dec 2021
Alaska
T
Tundra1 Offline OP
trapper
Tundra1  Offline OP
trapper
T

Joined: Dec 2021
Alaska
Appreciate the advice, fellas. Looks like I'll be on the hunt for an Expedition.

Re: Looking at getting a snowmachine [Re: Tundra1] #8666475
09/24/26 11:59 PM
09/24/26 11:59 PM
Joined: Dec 2006
Moved to Fbks, Ak.
M
martentrapper Offline
trapper
martentrapper  Offline
trapper
M

Joined: Dec 2006
Moved to Fbks, Ak.
What price range are you looking for?

Re: Looking at getting a snowmachine [Re: Tundra1] #8666625
09/25/26 11:41 AM
09/25/26 11:41 AM
Joined: Dec 2021
Alaska
T
Tundra1 Offline OP
trapper
Tundra1  Offline OP
trapper
T

Joined: Dec 2021
Alaska
To be honest I’m not sure, because I don’t know what a good price is or isn’t for one. Of course it’ll be different if I’m paying cash for a used machine or financing a new one.

Re: Looking at getting a snowmachine [Re: Tundra1] #8667347
09/26/26 11:26 PM
09/26/26 11:26 PM
Joined: Dec 2006
Moved to Fbks, Ak.
M
martentrapper Offline
trapper
martentrapper  Offline
trapper
M

Joined: Dec 2006
Moved to Fbks, Ak.
Well, since you are new to snogos, I'll say you should start with something smaller and less money. I'll suggest an older skidoo tundra or a yamaha bravo. You get a heavy 600 ace size snogo stuck and you better have a buddy with you. Smaller 2 strokes are light enough to move around and get unstuck.

Re: Looking at getting a snowmachine [Re: Tundra1] #8667356
09/27/26 12:04 AM
09/27/26 12:04 AM
Joined: Dec 2021
Alaska
T
Tundra1 Offline OP
trapper
Tundra1  Offline OP
trapper
T

Joined: Dec 2021
Alaska
Appreciate the advice, martentrapper

Re: Looking at getting a snowmachine [Re: Tundra1] #8667371
09/27/26 01:21 AM
09/27/26 01:21 AM
Joined: Sep 2013
AK
F
FL cracker in AK Offline
trapper
FL cracker in AK  Offline
trapper
F

Joined: Sep 2013
AK
Go ride a few different makes and models, and if possible, tow a heavy load with them. It will open your eyes to the best one.


Psalm 34:6
Re: Looking at getting a snowmachine [Re: Tundra1] #8667479
09/27/26 10:47 AM
09/27/26 10:47 AM
Joined: Dec 2010
Armpit, ak
D
Dirt Offline
trapper
Dirt  Offline
trapper
D

Joined: Dec 2010
Armpit, ak
options are getting real limited these days on new machines

Although it appears cat is back with some work machines.

Last edited by Dirt; 09/27/26 10:57 AM.

Who is John Galt?
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  akntrpr, Ol' Blister, otterman 

Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.7.1