No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter


Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum ~ Live Chat

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum


~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~


Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products


Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: First Bull [Re: MD22-250WV] #8667979
09/28/26 09:29 AM
09/28/26 09:29 AM
Joined: Feb 2020
Wyoming
wytex Offline
trapper
wytex  Offline
trapper

Joined: Feb 2020
Wyoming
Congrats on your 1st bull !!
Happy to hear you enjoyed Wyoming as well.


Wyoming does have reduced price cow tags if you are ever interested, some have no draw but all of the reduced price cow tags take no PPs.

Re: First Bull [Re: MD22-250WV] #8667982
09/28/26 09:39 AM
09/28/26 09:39 AM
Joined: Dec 2022
North Central WA.
J
Jingles Offline
trapper
Jingles  Offline
trapper
J

Joined: Dec 2022
North Central WA.
Nice looking 6 x 6 congrats on the harvest


No man is entitled to the Blessings of Freedom unless he be vigilant in it's preservation
D. MacArthur
Re: First Bull [Re: Providence Farm] #8667983
09/28/26 09:41 AM
09/28/26 09:41 AM
Joined: Dec 2012
NC - Here there and everywhere
C
coondagger2 Offline
"Brat"
coondagger2  Offline
"Brat"
C

Joined: Dec 2012
NC - Here there and everywhere
Originally Posted by Providence Farm
Originally Posted by coondagger2
Great job! I bought my first preference point to Wyoming this fall. I think I'll be able to draw a general tag sometime around 2031


I was going to start puting in for points in a few states each year for myself and the boys to get them a head start. Currently puting in for myself will be a wast of time. I dont believe I will be up to going on a back country outing unless it wont require a lot of walking.


Sounds like a good plan to start puting in years in advance even when the trip seems like a distant dream. A friend just went on a hunt I think in Colorado that required 30 years worth of points. Killed one nice bull and saw a lot of big ones. Said there were so many big bulls there you really had to look over the racks for broken off tines since there were so many nice bulls around to fight and get busted up by.

You would be crazy not to be putting in for your kids. They get points/licenses for a much reduced rate in most states. They can be building points for pennies and enjoy some fantastic hunts when they are my age.

Waiting until you are in your 50's to start applying is a tough hill to climb. By the time you are eligible for some of those coveted limited entry units your body isn't in the shape to hunt them. If you are in your 30's or 40's I still think its worth it.

Wyoming doesn't require a ton of points to get a general elk tag in the western part of the state. I think you are pretty much guaranteed to get one as a non-resident if you have 6 points. In the grand scheme of things, that isn't that long to wait.


Gotta live up to the nickname...
Re: First Bull [Re: MD22-250WV] #8668059
09/28/26 12:47 PM
09/28/26 12:47 PM
Joined: Dec 2022
illinois
J
jalstat Online content
trapper
jalstat  Online Content
trapper
J

Joined: Dec 2022
illinois
Very nice bull

Re: First Bull [Re: MD22-250WV] #8668060
09/28/26 12:58 PM
09/28/26 12:58 PM
Joined: May 2025
Texas
O
Outdoor todd Offline
trapper
Outdoor todd  Offline
trapper
O

Joined: May 2025
Texas
Congratulations

Re: First Bull [Re: MD22-250WV] #8668174
09/28/26 06:36 PM
09/28/26 06:36 PM
Joined: Dec 2006
Minnesota
330-Trapper Offline

trapper
330-Trapper  Offline

trapper

Joined: Dec 2006
Minnesota
Not easy to do


NRA Life Member






Re: First Bull [Re: MD22-250WV] #8668264
09/28/26 11:03 PM
09/28/26 11:03 PM
Joined: Dec 2007
NE Missouri
ol' dad Offline
trapper
ol' dad  Offline
trapper

Joined: Dec 2007
NE Missouri
Congrats! Hopefully you had an easy pack out..

It's a good thing they don't taste like they smell. Lol

Ol dad


started with nothing and still got most of it
Re: First Bull [Re: coondagger2] #8668452
09/29/26 01:29 PM
09/29/26 01:29 PM
Joined: Jul 2007
Assawoman, VA
MD22-250WV Offline OP
trapper
MD22-250WV  Offline OP
trapper

Joined: Jul 2007
Assawoman, VA
Originally Posted by coondagger2
Great job! I bought my first preference point to Wyoming this fall. I think I'll be able to draw a general tag sometime around 2031

It took me 6 points to draw this year.


Rifle builder
Shotgun doctor
Trapper when I have time
Re: First Bull [Re: wytex] #8668454
09/29/26 01:31 PM
09/29/26 01:31 PM
Joined: Jul 2007
Assawoman, VA
MD22-250WV Offline OP
trapper
MD22-250WV  Offline OP
trapper

Joined: Jul 2007
Assawoman, VA
Originally Posted by wytex
Congrats on your 1st bull !!
Happy to hear you enjoyed Wyoming as well.


Wyoming does have reduced price cow tags if you are ever interested, some have no draw but all of the reduced price cow tags take no PPs.

This is something I am already thinking about for next year. I have antelope and deer points, but that's a long way for that amount of meat; if I could get a cow tag, it would be that much better.


Rifle builder
Shotgun doctor
Trapper when I have time
Re: First Bull [Re: ol' dad] #8668457
09/29/26 01:33 PM
09/29/26 01:33 PM
Joined: Jul 2007
Assawoman, VA
MD22-250WV Offline OP
trapper
MD22-250WV  Offline OP
trapper

Joined: Jul 2007
Assawoman, VA
Originally Posted by ol' dad
Congrats! Hopefully you had an easy pack out..

It's a good thing they don't taste like they smell. Lol

Ol dad

I wouldn't say an easy pack out but I know it could have been much worse. Was about 1.5 miles in blowdown


Rifle builder
Shotgun doctor
Trapper when I have time
Re: First Bull [Re: MD22-250WV] #8668498
09/29/26 02:49 PM
09/29/26 02:49 PM
Joined: Dec 2006
Northern Maine
Bruce T Offline
trapper
Bruce T  Offline
trapper

Joined: Dec 2006
Northern Maine
Nice bull elk.Congrats


NRA,NTA,MTA,FTA

Proud member of NTA
Re: First Bull [Re: coondagger2] #8668756
09/30/26 04:49 AM
09/30/26 04:49 AM
Joined: Sep 2010
NE
M
Marty B Offline
"arbitrary noob"
Marty B  Offline
"arbitrary noob"
M

Joined: Sep 2010
NE
Originally Posted by coondagger2
Great job! I bought my first preference point to Wyoming this fall. I think I'll be able to draw a general tag sometime around 2031



If you're just starting you'll never draw a tag. You will be forever subject to the random draw, and that doesn't require any points. Your basically throwing that point money away.


Last time I looked (several years ago) there were 163,000 people with points standing in line in front of you.


7500 nr tags/year


163,000 รท 7500 = 22years



Except there are more than than 163k waiting in line now.

Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread