No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter


Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum ~ Live Chat

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum


~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~


Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products


Print Thread
Hop To
Pumpkin Pie #8668402
09/29/26 11:34 AM
09/29/26 11:34 AM
Joined: Dec 2011
MT
S
snowy Offline OP
trapper
snowy  Offline OP
trapper
S

Joined: Dec 2011
MT
Well today is a home day so will attempt to make a pumpkin pie. My pumpkins are not pie variety but will give one a try. Very easy recipe so why not. I got a sourdough loaf starting to bake later tonight. I will make the most of a day at home,

Anyone make them??


Give me a fish, I will eat for a day. Teach me to fish, I will eat for a lifetime
Re: Pumpkin Pie [Re: snowy] #8668405
09/29/26 11:48 AM
09/29/26 11:48 AM
Joined: Dec 2006
Northern Ohio ...
S
Sullivan K Offline
"Keith"
Sullivan K  Offline
"Keith"
S

Joined: Dec 2006
Northern Ohio ...
I once, and only once, made a pumpkin pie with home grown pumpkin. The pie was good but the amount of work involved was not worth the effort. It was fun to try to do it with my own pumpkin, but it is WAY easier to just buy canned pumpkin.

Re: Pumpkin Pie [Re: snowy] #8668406
09/29/26 11:52 AM
09/29/26 11:52 AM
Joined: Jan 2017
Marion Kansas
Y
Yes sir Offline
trapper
Yes sir  Offline
trapper
Y

Joined: Jan 2017
Marion Kansas
I make 4 or 5 a year. From canned pumpkin.

Re: Pumpkin Pie [Re: snowy] #8668410
09/29/26 12:17 PM
09/29/26 12:17 PM
Joined: May 2009
Champaign County, Ohio.
K
KeithC Offline
trapper
KeithC  Offline
trapper
K

Joined: May 2009
Champaign County, Ohio.
There's very little work in making a pumpkin pie from a pumpkin. We did it from when I was around 4 years old on to now. You just cube up the pumpkin, cut the skin off, cook it soft, puree it and spice it how you like for the filling. You can freeze or can the excess.

Keith

Re: Pumpkin Pie [Re: snowy] #8668411
09/29/26 12:22 PM
09/29/26 12:22 PM
Joined: Dec 2006
Oregon
beaverpeeler Offline
trapper
beaverpeeler  Offline
trapper

Joined: Dec 2006
Oregon
When I lived in the tropics I made "pumpkin" pie from papayas. Just cut down on the sugar some, same spices and I challenge anybody to tell me they're not eating pumpkin pie.

Learned the trick from baptist missionaries. Perhaps the only good missionaries have ever done in the tropics, LOL.


My fear of moving stairs is escalating!
Re: Pumpkin Pie [Re: snowy] #8668424
09/29/26 12:48 PM
09/29/26 12:48 PM
Joined: Mar 2020
W NY
Turtledale Offline
trapper
Turtledale  Offline
trapper

Joined: Mar 2020
W NY
None for Lefty! laugh


NYSTA, NTA, FTA, life member Erie county trappers assn.,life member Catt.county trappers
Re: Pumpkin Pie [Re: Turtledale] #8668426
09/29/26 12:50 PM
09/29/26 12:50 PM
Joined: Jan 2017
Marion Kansas
Y
Yes sir Offline
trapper
Yes sir  Offline
trapper
Y

Joined: Jan 2017
Marion Kansas
Originally Posted by Turtledale
None for Lefty! laugh

I wouldn't even let him taste mine if he begged me...

Re: Pumpkin Pie [Re: snowy] #8668427
09/29/26 12:51 PM
09/29/26 12:51 PM
Joined: Dec 2014
Wisconsin usa
R
randall brannon Offline
trapper
randall brannon  Offline
trapper
R

Joined: Dec 2014
Wisconsin usa
I like Blueberry and Apple. Might even try Possum Pie.


God please keep they 19 fallen UBB miners out of trouble up there.
Re: Pumpkin Pie [Re: Turtledale] #8668429
09/29/26 01:00 PM
09/29/26 01:00 PM
Joined: Dec 2006
Northern Ohio ...
S
Sullivan K Offline
"Keith"
Sullivan K  Offline
"Keith"
S

Joined: Dec 2006
Northern Ohio ...
Originally Posted by KeithC
There's very little work in making a pumpkin pie from a pumpkin. We did it from when I was around 4 years old on to now. You just cube up the pumpkin, cut the skin off, cook it soft, puree it and spice it how you like for the filling. You can freeze or can the excess.

Keith


I believe that there is more than “very little work”.
First you have to clean the guts out of the pumpkin. Cutting the skin off ain’t no fun. Cooking and pureeing is not bad but you have to kind of strain it when you are done cooking. As I said, it was kind of fun to do once, but I won’t do it again. If I want a pumpkin pie I’ll just open a can.

Re: Pumpkin Pie [Re: beaverpeeler] #8668431
09/29/26 01:09 PM
09/29/26 01:09 PM
Joined: Jul 2017
IA
T
teepee2 Offline
trapper
teepee2  Offline
trapper
T

Joined: Jul 2017
IA
Originally Posted by beaverpeeler
When I lived in the tropics I made "pumpkin" pie from papayas. Just cut down on the sugar some, same spices and I challenge anybody to tell me they're not eating pumpkin pie.

Learned the trick from baptist missionaries. Perhaps the only good missionaries have ever done in the tropics, LOL.

confused

Re: Pumpkin Pie [Re: snowy] #8668461
09/29/26 01:43 PM
09/29/26 01:43 PM
Joined: Dec 2006
Three Lakes,WI 75
C
corky Offline
trapper
corky  Offline
trapper
C

Joined: Dec 2006
Three Lakes,WI 75
I just made 2 yesterday but substituted butternut squash for the pumpkin. As stated, it's a lot of work but I had the time. Turned out well but once a year is enough.


http://www.usdebtclock.org/
This place is getting more like Facebook every day.

Re: Pumpkin Pie [Re: corky] #8668467
09/29/26 01:47 PM
09/29/26 01:47 PM
Joined: Nov 2012
midland, michigan
M
midlander Offline
trapper
midlander  Offline
trapper
M

Joined: Nov 2012
midland, michigan
Originally Posted by corky
I just made 2 yesterday but substituted butternut squash for the pumpkin. As stated, it's a lot of work but I had the time. Turned out well but once a year is enough.

From what I understand Corky, the pumpkin pie filling you buy in a can is really just squash in a can…

Re: Pumpkin Pie [Re: snowy] #8668470
09/29/26 01:52 PM
09/29/26 01:52 PM
Joined: May 2011
Oakland, MS
yotetrapper30 Offline
trapper
yotetrapper30  Offline
trapper

Joined: May 2011
Oakland, MS
I sure have. I look for pie pumpkins marked down after Thanksgiving and when I find them.... can several years worth of pumpkin. Always have it on hand for pies, breads, etc.


Regret is the one thing I just won't do ~~ Beth Dutton

Every truce is an opportunity to reload.
Re: Pumpkin Pie [Re: yotetrapper30] #8668473
09/29/26 01:56 PM
09/29/26 01:56 PM
Joined: Nov 2012
midland, michigan
M
midlander Offline
trapper
midlander  Offline
trapper
M

Joined: Nov 2012
midland, michigan
Originally Posted by yotetrapper30
I sure have. I look for pie pumpkins marked down after Thanksgiving and when I find them.... can several years worth of pumpkin. Always have it on hand for pies, breads, etc.


Do you find there is a big taste difference between actual pumpkin filling and the canned squash ‘filling’ after the spice is added and baked..?

Re: Pumpkin Pie [Re: snowy] #8668475
09/29/26 02:02 PM
09/29/26 02:02 PM
Joined: May 2011
Oakland, MS
yotetrapper30 Offline
trapper
yotetrapper30  Offline
trapper

Joined: May 2011
Oakland, MS
No....if the canned stuff is squash... I've never noticed a difference...


Regret is the one thing I just won't do ~~ Beth Dutton

Every truce is an opportunity to reload.
Re: Pumpkin Pie [Re: snowy] #8668476
09/29/26 02:03 PM
09/29/26 02:03 PM
Joined: May 2011
Oakland, MS
yotetrapper30 Offline
trapper
yotetrapper30  Offline
trapper

Joined: May 2011
Oakland, MS
But I am pretty sure the cans say 100% pumpkin..... remember......pumpkins ARE a squash.....


Regret is the one thing I just won't do ~~ Beth Dutton

Every truce is an opportunity to reload.
Re: Pumpkin Pie [Re: snowy] #8668517
09/29/26 03:12 PM
09/29/26 03:12 PM
Joined: Dec 2006
South shore L.I. N.Y.
G
gcs Offline
trapper
gcs  Offline
trapper
G

Joined: Dec 2006
South shore L.I. N.Y.
Canned pumpkin is made with a winter squash of some variety....easy method is just cut the pumpkin/squash, scoop out the seeds, then roast till soft and scoop out the flesh, roast the seeds at the same time....ez pz

Re: Pumpkin Pie [Re: snowy] #8668574
09/29/26 05:26 PM
09/29/26 05:26 PM
Joined: Dec 2011
MT
S
snowy Offline OP
trapper
snowy  Offline OP
trapper
S

Joined: Dec 2011
MT
I never thought it took a lot of work. Hands on was cutting pumpkin in two. Placed in micro wave for 35 minutes took out spooned out the meat. Mixed two eggs, pie spice, sweetened condensed milk and all together. Pour into pie crust bake at 425 for 15 min then 40 min at 350.

Hands on time maybe 15 min the rest of the time is micro and oven.

Here that baby is and the smell of pumpkin pie on the cool fall day was the best. Yesterday was pumpkin picking day at the ranch.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]


Give me a fish, I will eat for a day. Teach me to fish, I will eat for a lifetime
Re: Pumpkin Pie [Re: snowy] #8668687
09/29/26 10:11 PM
09/29/26 10:11 PM
Joined: Dec 2006
Michigan, Alpena County
1
1oldforester Offline
trapper
1oldforester  Offline
trapper
1

Joined: Dec 2006
Michigan, Alpena County
My wife likes to use half pumpkin and half sweet potato.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread