No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter


Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum ~ Live Chat

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum


~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~


Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products


Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Ever created your own set? #8669619
10/02/26 12:55 PM
10/02/26 12:55 PM
Joined: Jun 2007
Illinois
foxkidd44 Offline OP
trapper
foxkidd44  Offline OP
trapper

Joined: Jun 2007
Illinois
Any of you guys ever think of something that you never read before and tried?

One I came up with was an on the spot idea many years ago.

I dug a trench on a sandbar Threw a chunk of fish in the bottom..then I built a roof over it laying down sticks and leaves and then putting sand on top..
I kept the ends open big enough for a 120… and to my surprise,,, I actually caught mink with it,,, even a double once,,, first and only time I’ve ever done it.

I eventually made a few using 160s and I did catch a few raccoon,, but for the most part they wouldn’t poke their head down inside..it seems to work better for mink.


Stand by your principles, Stand by your guns, and victory complete and permanent is sure at last.
Abraham Lincoln
Re: Ever created your own set? [Re: foxkidd44] #8669622
10/02/26 01:14 PM
10/02/26 01:14 PM
Joined: Mar 2007
Midland, MI.
Seldom Offline
trapper
Seldom  Offline
trapper

Joined: Mar 2007
Midland, MI.
Yes, in 1971 I was 25 years old and I developed a dirt hole set I later named the Disco Dirt Hole Set which can be viewed on my Utube channel. You can find a reasonable facsimile of my set in James Lucero’s book the “Master Wolfer” on page 33. He calls his set the JL Dirt Hole set.

Last edited by Seldom; 10/02/26 01:22 PM.

"A few want to know WHY, the majority appear to be satisfied just knowing HOW!"
Youtube Channel- SeldomFales
Re: Ever created your own set? [Re: foxkidd44] #8669628
10/02/26 01:25 PM
10/02/26 01:25 PM
Joined: Jan 2017
Marion Kansas
Y
Yes sir Offline
trapper
Yes sir  Offline
trapper
Y

Joined: Jan 2017
Marion Kansas
Yes a double dirt hole for coyotes. Never have really gave it a name. Got the idea from trying to come up with a dirt hole set that takes advantage of coyotes wanting to work the set from a slight angle instead of straight on and use only on trap instead of two covering both angled approaches.

Re: Ever created your own set? [Re: foxkidd44] #8669639
10/02/26 01:51 PM
10/02/26 01:51 PM
Joined: Jan 2009
MINN
H
HILLTOP TRAPPER Offline
trapper
HILLTOP TRAPPER  Offline
trapper
H

Joined: Jan 2009
MINN
back in the eighties,tin foil on the trap pan in a shallow running crick for coon.maybe someone else did it to, but pretty sure i came up with that on my own,as i was pretty young and trapped by myself


U GOTTA DO WHAT U GOTTA DO CAUSE IT IS WHAT IT IS....AINT NOTHIN WRONG WITH QUIET
Re: Ever created your own set? [Re: foxkidd44] #8669643
10/02/26 02:15 PM
10/02/26 02:15 PM
Joined: Aug 2011
Craigmont, Idaho
M
marty weatherup Offline
trapper
marty weatherup  Offline
trapper
M

Joined: Aug 2011
Craigmont, Idaho
Every time I have come up with something I think is original, I’ll find out someone else has been doing the same thing. So no, I cannot say that I’ve come up with any new sets. New to me maybe but not new to the trapping world. Sometimes a new to you set is just intuitive based on the location and animal behavior. I think that’s where most new sets or variants of existing sets originate. It’s a good bet someone else has had the same idea.


Trail cameras and fresh snow have broke a lot of trapper’s hearts.
Re: Ever created your own set? [Re: foxkidd44] #8669648
10/02/26 02:29 PM
10/02/26 02:29 PM
Joined: Dec 2006
Northern Maine
Bruce T Offline
trapper
Bruce T  Offline
trapper

Joined: Dec 2006
Northern Maine
Yes my fisher and marten set in straight up and down tree using just Conibear,bait,lure,evergreen bows,and wire,cable


NRA,NTA,MTA,FTA

Proud member of NTA
Re: Ever created your own set? [Re: foxkidd44] #8669649
10/02/26 02:31 PM
10/02/26 02:31 PM
Joined: Mar 2017
Wy
G
Giant Sage Offline
trapper
Giant Sage  Offline
trapper
G

Joined: Mar 2017
Wy
Trapping in Mississippi some years ago my sets were gettinget covered up rain and the bait- lure would wash away or the bait hole filled with water. I'd seen where coyotes would mark trash soda cans bottles ext.
I would rake up a small dirt pile and bury a baited can or bottle with bait in the top of the mound with th trap placed in front of the opening. Not sure when the pipe dream set came around put the set was the same idea.


Christ is King
Re: Ever created your own set? [Re: foxkidd44] #8669660
10/02/26 03:29 PM
10/02/26 03:29 PM
Joined: Oct 2023
Ohio
B
bleeohio Offline
trapper
bleeohio  Offline
trapper
B

Joined: Oct 2023
Ohio
Every time i think i do, i get on the stupid internet and find out it's old news, lol. I've been using ole seldoms disco set and didn't even know it.

Re: Ever created your own set? [Re: bleeohio] #8669663
10/02/26 03:47 PM
10/02/26 03:47 PM
Joined: Mar 2007
Midland, MI.
Seldom Offline
trapper
Seldom  Offline
trapper

Joined: Mar 2007
Midland, MI.
Originally Posted by bleeohio
Every time i think i do, i get on the stupid internet and find out it's old news, lol. I've been using ole seldoms disco set and didn't even know it.

By golly it’s a killer set ain’t it? Some years ago a friend of mine who lives down by Lagrange IN liked it so much that he asked if he could demo it at that year’s Minkoberfest which he did!

Last edited by Seldom; 10/02/26 03:52 PM.

"A few want to know WHY, the majority appear to be satisfied just knowing HOW!"
Youtube Channel- SeldomFales
Re: Ever created your own set? [Re: foxkidd44] #8669671
10/02/26 04:18 PM
10/02/26 04:18 PM
Joined: Dec 2024
AR
J
J Staton Offline
trapper
J Staton  Offline
trapper
J

Joined: Dec 2024
AR
Along the river bank where there are beaver and I'm trapping coon, I will lure a DP on the high bank with castor. Then create a slide and guard it with a snare/trap for beaver. Catch one of each species at the same set site.

Re: Ever created your own set? [Re: foxkidd44] #8669692
10/02/26 05:20 PM
10/02/26 05:20 PM
Joined: Mar 2007
Midland, MI.
Seldom Offline
trapper
Seldom  Offline
trapper

Joined: Mar 2007
Midland, MI.
After watching this thread awhile I feel compelled to explain how I developed my Disco Dirt Hole Set. Yes, it was 1971 and fox $$ had jumped from $8/avg in 1970 to a $16/avg in 1971 and to put it realistic terms, Dow welders were making less than $5/hr at that time so fox were worth some $$ and lots of people were trying to trap them! I had been missing some fox at my typical dirt hole set, a set EVERYBODY was using at that time here and still are from what I see on videos btw. I felt I needed to change lures(which I did going to Arnold’s #2) but I needed to make a different type set as well.

I knew the standard dirt hole set did NOT resemble a fox diggings so I dug a hole and piled the dirt in front of it as I’d seen fox do. I’d been seeing where fox had been coming into my old set from the side so with a pile of dirt in front of the hole, where else would a fox step to work the hole and feel comfortable approaching? Off to the downwind side so thats where I bedded my trap. When I used it the first time I could see immediately I was on the right track, a hole and a pile of dirt in front!!!! Where was the fox going to step to work the set?? After that 1st season Of using my new set I could tell you which foot I was going to catch depending on if my trap was perpendicular to the hole or back between the hole & the pile of dirt!! The very same principle held true with coyotes when they moved into my territory, made no difference!
Now you know the rest of the story!!!

Last edited by Seldom; 10/02/26 05:23 PM.

"A few want to know WHY, the majority appear to be satisfied just knowing HOW!"
Youtube Channel- SeldomFales
Re: Ever created your own set? [Re: foxkidd44] #8669695
10/02/26 05:26 PM
10/02/26 05:26 PM
Joined: Jan 2017
Marion Kansas
Y
Yes sir Offline
trapper
Yes sir  Offline
trapper
Y

Joined: Jan 2017
Marion Kansas
Intresting Seldom. The principles you used to develop your set are very similar to mine. My set is designed for them to come in from either side. My winds here aren't too consistent and swirl in a lot of places so i cant be sure which will be the downwind side. And i dont have to block off one side thus leaving the set more open which i think can help with coyotes.

Last edited by Yes sir; 10/02/26 05:29 PM.
Re: Ever created your own set? [Re: Yes sir] #8669708
10/02/26 06:11 PM
10/02/26 06:11 PM
Joined: Mar 2007
Midland, MI.
Seldom Offline
trapper
Seldom  Offline
trapper

Joined: Mar 2007
Midland, MI.
Originally Posted by Yes sir
Intresting Seldom. The principles you used to develop your set are very similar to mine. My set is designed for them to come in from either side. My winds here aren't too consistent and swirl in a lot of places so i cant be sure which will be the downwind side. And i dont have to block off one side thus leaving the set more open which i think can help with coyotes.

I found that I never had to block off the upwind side of the set, left it wide open and never saw a refusal that was forced to the upwind side EXCEPT once when I had an ice puck over my trap forcing the coyote to circle the set and work it from the upwind side. It wanted what was in the hole bad enough with 1st sniff downwind to cone around and dig the hole. A beautiful example of “I need it-I want it-I gotta have it!”


"A few want to know WHY, the majority appear to be satisfied just knowing HOW!"
Youtube Channel- SeldomFales
Re: Ever created your own set? [Re: foxkidd44] #8669710
10/02/26 06:15 PM
10/02/26 06:15 PM
Joined: Jan 2017
Marion Kansas
Y
Yes sir Offline
trapper
Yes sir  Offline
trapper
Y

Joined: Jan 2017
Marion Kansas
I need it, i want it, i gotta have it makes a difference doesn't it

Re: Ever created your own set? [Re: Yes sir] #8669728
10/02/26 06:46 PM
10/02/26 06:46 PM
Joined: Mar 2007
Midland, MI.
Seldom Offline
trapper
Seldom  Offline
trapper

Joined: Mar 2007
Midland, MI.
Originally Posted by Yes sir
I need it, i want it, i gotta have it makes a difference doesn't it

Ding-ding-ding, we have a winner!

Last edited by Seldom; 10/02/26 06:46 PM.

"A few want to know WHY, the majority appear to be satisfied just knowing HOW!"
Youtube Channel- SeldomFales
Re: Ever created your own set? [Re: HILLTOP TRAPPER] #8669780
10/02/26 08:32 PM
10/02/26 08:32 PM
Joined: Dec 2008
Eastern Shore of Maryland
HobbieTrapper Offline
"Chippendale Trapper"
HobbieTrapper  Offline
"Chippendale Trapper"

Joined: Dec 2008
Eastern Shore of Maryland
Originally Posted by HILLTOP TRAPPER
back in the eighties,tin foil on the trap pan in a shallow running crick for coon.maybe someone else did it to, but pretty sure i came up with that on my own,as i was pretty young and trapped by myself


Read an article in I believe Outdoor Life or maybe the Scout magazine Boy’s Life about a similar set. This would have been mid to late 70s. The trapper used silver tensile wrapped around a stick with a trap on both sides of the tide. It apparently was to mimic minnows swimming against the tide.

Re: Ever created your own set? [Re: foxkidd44] #8669788
10/02/26 08:46 PM
10/02/26 08:46 PM
Joined: Oct 2023
Ohio
B
bleeohio Offline
trapper
bleeohio  Offline
trapper
B

Joined: Oct 2023
Ohio
It sure does work Seldom, and like you, the real fox and coyote diggings look nothing like the standard dirt hole. But there's no denying they work. I try things on my dogs, lol. I have one now that i dig a half moon trowel in the dirt and put a small hole on each side with bait and lure. I know dogs aren't coyotes but they worked it in a way that i never would have caught one.

Re: Ever created your own set? [Re: foxkidd44] #8669815
10/02/26 10:29 PM
10/02/26 10:29 PM
Joined: Dec 2009
The Hill Country of Texas
Leftlane Offline
"HOSS"
Leftlane  Offline
"HOSS"

Joined: Dec 2009
The Hill Country of Texas
So you invented the cubby set Foxkid or you just built an on the fly cubby in a place therr wasn't one?
Every time I got entirely too creative I checked empty traps but I did alter a couple of sets to my own liking and manage to guide land critters into a few trail sets that I think i got lucky on.


What"s good for me may not be good for the weak minded.
Captain Gus McCrae- Texas Rangers


Re: Ever created your own set? [Re: foxkidd44] #8669821
10/02/26 10:41 PM
10/02/26 10:41 PM
Joined: Feb 2007
Washington State
H
humptulips Offline
trapper
humptulips  Offline
trapper
H

Joined: Feb 2007
Washington State
Yes, I did twice.
First was a variation on a run pole set I used for bobcat. Demonstrated it at the OTA Rendezvous at Waldo Lake.
2nd was the way I make a KORO Rodent trap work for trapping spotted skunks.

Re: Ever created your own set? [Re: foxkidd44] #8669836
10/02/26 11:09 PM
10/02/26 11:09 PM
Joined: Jan 2014
Virginia
5
52Carl Offline
trapper
52Carl  Offline
trapper
5

Joined: Jan 2014
Virginia
"The Possum Puke Set"
I am certain that this set has never been published.
Me and my trapping partner, each 13 years old, set off to run our long line after supper.
My partner was habitual food inhaler. Never chewed it, just heaved it in and swallowed like a coon dog.
We had spaghetti that evening.
We got to our first trapping site and set a #1 victor longpring under a crabapple tree. We had read about how persimmon trees draw raccoons from miles away, but we never seen a persimmon tree before. Close enough we thought.
After the trap was set, my partner bent over and wretched up his dinner that he had wolfed down. It landed in the snow and looked just like it did an hour earlier on his dinner plate.
With our longline completed (we only had the one trap) we headed back on an arduous journey back to the house, across the street.
After a sleepless night in anticipation, we headed back out at first light.
There was possum tracks everywhere, but no possum. There was however, no sign of the spaghetti either, not even a pink spot.
We were clearly onto something big, something fame worthy. We were going to be the next Jerimiah Johnson.
My partner went on to join the Army and was a cook for twenty years. I went on to college and became a professional trapper. That excursion sticks in my mind as the beginning of the rewarding journey I have been on over the last 55 years and counting.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread