Wilderness Trapping and Living

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~Dobbins' Catalog~

ATS
(Please support Ted's Fur Shed, our sponsor for the Wilderness Page)

Alaska Trappers Association

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Re: Koro wolf traps fail... [Re: yukon254] #6692221
12/13/19 04:28 PM
12/13/19 04:28 PM
McGrath, AK
W
white17 Offline

"General (Mr.Sunshine) Washington"
white17  Offline

"General (Mr.Sunshine) Washington"
W

McGrath, AK
So they want to makes the jaws heavier and the springs weaker. Sounds like a recipe for a slower trap

Mean As Nails
Re: Koro wolf traps fail... [Re: white17] #6692228
12/13/19 04:38 PM
12/13/19 04:38 PM
Yukon
Y
yukon254 Offline OP
trapper
yukon254  Offline OP
trapper
Y

Yukon
Originally Posted by white17
So they want to makes the jaws heavier and the springs weaker. Sounds like a recipe for a slower trap

Bingo

do unto others as you would have them do unto you

www.grizzlycreeklodge.com
Re: Koro wolf traps fail... [Re: white17] #6692348
12/13/19 07:16 PM
12/13/19 07:16 PM
Interior Alaska
smalltimetrapper Offline
small greenhorn
smalltimetrapper  Offline
small greenhorn

Interior Alaska
Originally Posted by white17

Ya, but it will work better! crazy

Re: Koro wolf traps fail... [Re: Boco] #6692352
12/13/19 07:20 PM
12/13/19 07:20 PM
Yukon
Y
yukon254 Offline OP
trapper
yukon254  Offline OP
trapper
Y

Yukon
Originally Posted by Boco
You talk with Robert lately Yukon?
I havent heard from him in a while,say Hi for me if you see him.

Robert flew out to the beaver back in late September / early Oct. I was guiding at the time but did see the plane go over. Dont expect to see him until January but I will for sure say hi for you. Im betting hes having a good run this year. Lots of marten and more lynx than anyone has ever seen in the southeast.

Re: Koro wolf traps fail... [Re: yukon254] #6692408
12/13/19 08:08 PM
12/13/19 08:08 PM
Manitoba
N
Northof50 Offline
trapper
Northof50  Offline
trapper
N

Manitoba
no it was sharpness of the edges of the jaws and that was dealt with the next field testing ones

too bad either the moderators on here or Paul has banned James K on posting on this forum. He has much to contribute to northern trapping world with his new designed traps

Re: Koro wolf traps fail... [Re: yukon254] #6692658
12/13/19 10:16 PM
12/13/19 10:16 PM
james bay frontierOnt.
B
Boco Online content
trapper
Boco  Online Content
trapper
B

james bay frontierOnt.
Thanks for the update on Robert Yukon.

Forget that fear of gravity-get a little savagery in your life.
Re: Koro wolf traps fail... [Re: yukon254] #6694315
12/15/19 03:03 PM
12/15/19 03:03 PM
Central PA, God's Country
PAlltheway Offline
trapper
PAlltheway  Offline
trapper

Central PA, God's Country
England just had a huge political upset vote result as a consequence of government-gone-wild at the expense of The People. Canada is on the same trajectory, and this whole discussion about "humane" traps etc is representative of this serious disconnect. Governments are supposed to work FOR the people, not against them. When you get the federal government involved in the finest of details about which trap is this or that, you have already lost, the trapper has already lost. One of the reasons I left my cushy federal job in DC as a policy and legislative staffer was because I was surrounded by urban people who simply "knew better" than everyone else. That was their attitude, and of course they did not know any better, and usually were way off base from the farmers, lumbermen, and other natural resource managers who made a living outside. But being wrong never stopped them from pushing their "I know better than you" agenda, which always cost someone their freedom and or livelihood. It was this attitude that got America its current president, who I adore, and I hope that Canada has a similar political experience. Because no matter what, once your government is down in the weeds telling you which springs are "more humane" than another, you have already lost the war. Merry Christmas, everyone

Re: Koro wolf traps fail... [Re: yukon254] #6694336
12/15/19 03:44 PM
12/15/19 03:44 PM
james bay frontierOnt.
B
Boco Online content
trapper
Boco  Online Content
trapper
B

james bay frontierOnt.
Your a bit misinformed about the humane trap testing in Canada.It originated and was steerd by trappers here,not government,nor antis,nor Europeans.
Specifically the Ontario Trappers association thru the vision of Alcide Giroux and other trappers who knew the importance of humane trapping.They had great vision truly great men.Thru the Fur Institute of Canada,the TRDC was set up and all the provincial wildlife managers got on board to make things consistent across all jurisdictions.

Last edited by Boco; 12/15/19 03:49 PM.

Re: Koro wolf traps fail... [Re: yukon254] #6694393
12/15/19 05:23 PM
12/15/19 05:23 PM
Custer Co, Idaho
S
sneaky Offline
trapper
sneaky  Offline
trapper
S

Custer Co, Idaho
Just curious, but why are Ontario trappers making policy decisions regarding BC and Yukon trappers? That's two different worlds politically and geographically. Sounds to me like a way some trappers wanted their name attached to more legislation where they are the "humane" voice.

Sometimes nothing can be a real cool hand
Re: Koro wolf traps fail... [Re: yukon254] #6694417
12/15/19 05:54 PM
12/15/19 05:54 PM
james bay frontierOnt.
B
Boco Online content
trapper
Boco  Online Content
trapper
B

james bay frontierOnt.
OTA and BC were at the forefront of humane trapping,and trapper education,OTA had the Money because we owned the auction house,and were the largest group of trappers in the country.We also compiled the WFMC in conjunction with MNR at that time.
We never made any policy decisions for any other jurisdictions,policy is made by provincial wildlife managers,we basically spearheaded everything for ourselves and the rest got on board.when they realized the importance of humane trapping.We were not going to be dictated to by anyone,especially those outside the industry,we would be in the drivers seat.
There is a lot of historical information available.Comprehensive trapper education was implemented at the same time,to train trappers in the most effective and humane methods available also.
At the same time proper fur handling methods and techniques were taught all across the north so trappers would realize more money and could put a consistent product thru the auction house.
The provincial trapping associations over the years tried to form a national trapping association,but that role was basically filled by the FIC which represents the entire industry so a national trappers association never took root in Canada even after several attempts over many years.After a while OTA let the FIC run the trap testing program and the facility was built in vegreville AB.

Last edited by Boco; 12/15/19 06:07 PM.

Re: Koro wolf traps fail... [Re: yukon254] #6694455
12/15/19 06:40 PM
12/15/19 06:40 PM
juneau, alaska
A
alaska viking Offline
"Made it two years not being censored"
alaska viking  Offline
A

juneau, alaska
So there it is: BOCO, and his Croney's are responsible for this mess!

Made it almost 3 years without censor!

Re: Koro wolf traps fail... [Re: yukon254] #6694466
12/15/19 06:53 PM
12/15/19 06:53 PM
james bay frontierOnt.
B
Boco Online content
trapper
Boco  Online Content
trapper
B

james bay frontierOnt.
Mess?

Re: Koro wolf traps fail... [Re: yukon254] #6694532
12/15/19 08:00 PM
12/15/19 08:00 PM
Manitoba
N
Northof50 Offline
trapper
Northof50  Offline
trapper
N

Manitoba
no it was the anti sealing movement that created the mess and the trappers wanted to get infront of the problem before things happened.
Europe is in a mess now cause they don't have a wolf trap for use certified.

Re: Koro wolf traps fail... [Re: yukon254] #6694552
12/15/19 08:15 PM
12/15/19 08:15 PM
juneau, alaska
A
alaska viking Offline
alaska viking  Offline
A

juneau, alaska
Well, NAFA tried to take a page out of the certified book, and they are broke, trappers with vast experience using certain traps are ignored, yet the very country that requires such things freely profits from the likes of Alaska, that has no such non-sense.
I would call that a mess. Just me.

Re: Koro wolf traps fail... [Re: yukon254] #6694562
12/15/19 08:24 PM
12/15/19 08:24 PM
james bay frontierOnt.
B
Boco Online content
trapper
Boco  Online Content
trapper
B

james bay frontierOnt.
The mess is all the fur bans and loss of trapping going on in your country.
That is not happening here.

Re: Koro wolf traps fail... [Re: yukon254] #6694614
12/15/19 09:18 PM
12/15/19 09:18 PM
juneau, alaska
A
alaska viking Offline
alaska viking  Offline
A

juneau, alaska
Then you have the market cornered, 'eh?

Re: Koro wolf traps fail... [Re: yukon254] #6694657
12/15/19 10:01 PM
12/15/19 10:01 PM
The Panhandle of Alaska
M
mad_mike Offline
trapper
mad_mike  Offline
trapper
M

The Panhandle of Alaska
That is a bummer. The Koro has become my favorite.

Advice? Wise men don't need it. Fools won't heed it.
Re: Koro wolf traps fail... [Re: yukon254] #6694761
12/15/19 11:41 PM
12/15/19 11:41 PM
Alberta
M
Moose maniac Offline
trapper
Moose maniac  Offline
trapper
M

Alberta
Originally Posted by yukon254
So I just got a note from the fellow that designed and builds the Koro wolf trap. Apparently it failed the Canadian trap certification process. They want him to reduce spring pressure by about 30% among other things.

This highlights the stupidity of the certification process. I talked to the guy in charge of the testing on this trap a couple years ago and they were having trouble catching enough wolves at that time. My question to him ( that he couldnt answer) was how in the world can the Victor #3 soft catch with 4 coil springs be "certified" for wolves if they actually have to catch wolves in them. The Victor #3 is in fact certified and no one has caught any number of wolves with it....it isn't a wolf trap...period. The changes they want made to the Koro would ruin it. I think I can safely say that I have caught more wolves in the Koro than any single trapper in Canada. They are first class traps. Miles ahead of the Brawn that was one of the first wolf traps certified in Canada.

This is what happens when the Govt gets involved. Canadian trappers got the shaft with the certification process and should have fought it tooth and nail. The 30 Koro wolf traps I own will become illegal to use very soon. Anyone think I will be reimbursed ?? I wont be holding my breath. Its a real travesty in my opinion and one of the best tools available to Canadian trappers has just been taken off the table by a bunch of people who obviously havent the slightest clue what they are doing...

Originally Posted by yukon254
So I just got a note from the fellow that designed and builds the Koro wolf trap. Apparently it failed the Canadian trap certification process. They want him to reduce spring pressure by about 30% among other things.

This highlights the stupidity of the certification process. I talked to the guy in charge of the testing on this trap a couple years ago and they were having trouble catching enough wolves at that time. My question to him ( that he couldnt answer) was how in the world can the Victor #3 soft catch with 4 coil springs be "certified" for wolves if they actually have to catch wolves in them. The Victor #3 is in fact certified and no one has caught any number of wolves with it....it isn't a wolf trap...period. The changes they want made to the Koro would ruin it. I think I can safely say that I have caught more wolves in the Koro than any single trapper in Canada. They are first class traps. Miles ahead of the Brawn that was one of the first wolf traps certified in Canada.

This is what happens when the Govt gets involved. Canadian trappers got the shaft with the certification process and should have fought it tooth and nail. The 30 Koro wolf traps I own will become illegal to use very soon. Anyone think I will be reimbursed ?? I wont be holding my breath. Its a real travesty in my opinion and one of the best tools available to Canadian trappers has just been taken off the table by a bunch of people who obviously havent the slightest clue what they are doing...

It’s definitely a crappy deal I have a bunch of Lay wolf traps that I apparently can’t use any more come next year they are a much better trap than my bridger #9’s

Re: Koro wolf traps fail... [Re: alaska viking] #6695030
12/16/19 09:56 AM
12/16/19 09:56 AM
Yukon
Y
yukon254 Offline OP
trapper
yukon254  Offline OP
trapper
Y

Yukon
Originally Posted by alaska viking
Well, NAFA tried to take a page out of the certified book, and they are broke, trappers with vast experience using certain traps are ignored, yet the very country that requires such things freely profits from the likes of Alaska, that has no such non-sense.
I would call that a mess. Just me.

This ^^ is without a doubt the absolute truth. Boco is being a bit misleading. I have no idea how trappers in Ontario felt about the new standards but the majority of western Canadian trappers were against it. We were told point blank that our fur would not be allowed into Europe unless we agreed to the new standards. That wasn't true, period. I am the first to admit there were some good things about the humane trapping standards, but there is a lot of red tape and stupidity too.

Dont believe for two seconds that Govt isn't involved because they are. In a big way. Our local trapping association used to do all the trappers ed courses. They made money from them. The Territorial Govt took that over. They actually created a govt position and we have a fellow that goes around and does the courses in the communities.He is an employee of the Territorial Govt.

I talked to the Govt fur technician a few years ago because I wanted to add the trappers ed course into our business. She told me that wouldn't be possible because I didnt have a college degree! It was obvious that she was going to fight me tooth and nail on it so I dropped the idea. I found out later that anyone who wants to become an instructor has to go to Gordys trapper college in Alberta. Im not sure how that works or who set it all up that way, but it smells bad to me.

Re: Koro wolf traps fail... [Re: yukon254] #6695039
12/16/19 10:05 AM
12/16/19 10:05 AM
Manitoba
N
Northof50 Offline
trapper
Northof50  Offline
trapper
N

Manitoba
Sorry to hear of the layoffs.
down the road it is going to bite all of us.

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  akntrpr, Ol' Blister, otterman