Strictly Trapping

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Trading Post
(Please support F&T Trading Post, our sponsor for the Trapping Only Forum)

TrappersPost
Please support Trappers post, a sponsor of the Strictly Trapping Forum

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Pull Outs [Re: rpmartin] #7205909
03/05/21 09:38 PM
03/05/21 09:38 PM
SW Georgia
W
Wanna Be Offline
trapper
Wanna Be  Offline
trapper
W

SW Georgia
Originally Posted by rpmartin
You done good. You done real good. The performance of your traps were fine after that much rain. I hope folks can see how much the rain and wet soil slowed those trap just a little and that was light sandy soil. Those traps would catch and hold.
Now try that in clay gumbo heavy soil, you will find the results are lackluster at best unless you have powered up to meet the conditions if that is even possible.
I always like enough chain so the animal can make the initial jump to get the trap dug in on the paw and lock it in place before they start lunging. And making them step between the jaws insread of over them.

Thanks. Most of my sets use screen covering. Seems I catch more in our wet weather down here with those sets whether they be the actual Pipe Dream set, flat sets, or scent post sets. Then again it might just be the fact they are blended better.
I was just using that to go along with the fact that most of my toe catches and possible pullouts are with dirt type sets and after a heavy rain. We can’t seem to get showers or a little rain. The last few storms that rolled through have dumped 2-4” of rain every single time. The traps weren’t covered with that much dirt initially, just water pushing dirt over them. I was just impressed with the equipment being 2 coiled and still performing. 90% of my sets out now are screen covered.

Re: Pull Outs [Re: Wanna Be] #7205938
03/05/21 10:07 PM
03/05/21 10:07 PM
Flint, Michigan
bhugo Offline
trapper
bhugo  Offline
trapper

Flint, Michigan
Originally Posted by Wanna Be
Not an expert videographer, but here’s a video that shows what may produce a toe catch, pullout, or miss. You figure the dirt hole had 4+” of rain on it and a lot of dirt flowed over the trap itself. The feathers were all on the top side so the entire set had flowing/standing water. The first set was initially a true Pipe Dream set, but buried it after the fox was caught. Already went through 3 screens, lol.
https://youtu.be/RavqBapLg_w

Pretty good video! 4 inches of rain is amazing.

Member MTPCA, FTA and NTA
Re: Pull Outs [Re: Wanna Be] #7206274
03/06/21 05:02 AM
03/06/21 05:02 AM
S/W Wisconsin
rpmartin Offline
trapper
rpmartin  Offline
trapper

S/W Wisconsin
Originally Posted by Wanna Be
Originally Posted by rpmartin
You done good. You done real good. The performance of your traps were fine after that much rain. I hope folks can see how much the rain and wet soil slowed those trap just a little and that was light sandy soil. Those traps would catch and hold.
Now try that in clay gumbo heavy soil, you will find the results are lackluster at best unless you have powered up to meet the conditions if that is even possible.
I always like enough chain so the animal can make the initial jump to get the trap dug in on the paw and lock it in place before they start lunging. And making them step between the jaws insread of over them.

Thanks. Most of my sets use screen covering. Seems I catch more in our wet weather down here with those sets whether they be the actual Pipe Dream set, flat sets, or scent post sets. Then again it might just be the fact they are blended better.
I was just using that to go along with the fact that most of my toe catches and possible pullouts are with dirt type sets and after a heavy rain. We can’t seem to get showers or a little rain. The last few storms that rolled through have dumped 2-4” of rain every single time. The traps weren’t covered with that much dirt initially, just water pushing dirt over them. I was just impressed with the equipment being 2 coiled and still performing. 90% of my sets out now are screen covered.

If it were me here on out i would add some extra insurance as in go 3 or 4 coil. It would help speed those traps in the mud some and help with better lockup. Coyotes can be unbelievably fast and will show you every weak spot in your system then leave you with an empty set mumbling unpleasant words under your breath.

Life member,
NRA, NTA, RMEF, Pheasants Forever.
WTA,TTA,FTA,SA,GOA, member

Re: Pull Outs [Re: Wvpossum] #7206311
03/06/21 07:31 AM
03/06/21 07:31 AM
WV
W
Wvpossum Offline OP
trapper
Wvpossum  Offline OP
trapper
W

WV
Wanna Be, do you think that would help with pull outs, if they had enough chain for that first initial pull that it wasnt tight to the ground?

Re: Pull Outs [Re: Wvpossum] #7206527
03/06/21 11:13 AM
03/06/21 11:13 AM
SW Georgia
W
Wanna Be Offline
trapper
Wanna Be  Offline
trapper
W

SW Georgia
I’ll be honest, I don’t have a clue. I don’t have many pullouts in all honesty. Not with coyotes or cats that I can tell anyways. I’ll lose a grey or coon to chew outs. Most pics or video shows the coyote and cats jumping straight up. I would think a short chain would lock that foot down immediately when they hit the end of the chain. I’ve just always figured less chain equals less momentum.
When training a dog at heel you use a short leash so he can’t get momentum to get ahead of you. A longer leash will allow him not only to get ahead of you but enough momentum to pull you along.
I may be all wrong in my thinking as I’m still learning, but so far it works for me in the areas I trap.
Here’s the issue with all our rain...dirt holes I’ll reset anyways. That much rain and all scent is either gone or scattered all up and down the road, ground, buried, etc...the video was just to see if they would fire. Wet weather and dirt holes just don’t work for me down here. I have about 25 sets out now and zero dirt hole sets.

Re: Pull Outs [Re: Wvpossum] #7206693
03/06/21 02:03 PM
03/06/21 02:03 PM
Northern Nevada
B
Bob Offline
trapper
Bob  Offline
trapper
B

Northern Nevada
If your traps are strong then proper pan tension and solid bedding will prevent 99.9% of pull outs. I very, very rarely have a pull out, maybe one every other season at the most, and it’s always because I didn’t take the time to readjust the pan tension on a trap after a catch.

"I have two guns, one for each of ya."
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  Drifter, Wolfdog91