No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 16 of 18 1 2 14 15 16 17 18
Re: 3 knocks in the woods? Help [Re: Wanna Be] #8200802
08/21/24 11:09 PM
08/21/24 11:09 PM
Maine
R
Researcher Offline
trapper
Researcher  Offline
trapper
R

Maine
Originally Posted by Wanna Be
Y’all got birds the chirp at night? Most of ours are really quiet at night unless it’s Full moon, then I’ll hear some occasionally.

Wasn't quite dark yet when I left the lake and recorder. It was a 3rd quarter moon about two days on the wane so not in the night sky which means it would be rising a few hrs before sun up. Also the reflection on the water was a mirror so no wind. Plenty of fish leaving feeding rings at the surface near shore.

Last edited by Researcher; 08/21/24 11:10 PM. Reason: Clarity
Re: 3 knocks in the woods? Help [Re: Researcher] #8200823
08/21/24 11:51 PM
08/21/24 11:51 PM
Henderson, N.Y. Jefferson Co.
W
walleyed Offline
trapper
walleyed  Offline
trapper
W

Henderson, N.Y. Jefferson Co.
I'm not saying it was definitely Aliens, but, it was probably Aliens !!! laugh

Last edited by walleyed; 08/27/24 05:37 PM.

"Provisional/Interim" member of NYSTA

"I Support Non-Resident Trapping"

Re: 3 knocks in the woods? Help [Re: cathryn] #8200913
08/22/24 05:22 AM
08/22/24 05:22 AM
williamsburg ks
D
danny clifton Offline
"Grumpy Old Man"
danny clifton  Offline
"Grumpy Old Man"
D

williamsburg ks
So 8 pages. Anybody shot one yet so it can be examined?

Those who would give up essential liberty, to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790)
Re: 3 knocks in the woods? Help [Re: Researcher] #8200981
08/22/24 08:00 AM
08/22/24 08:00 AM
pa
H
hippie Offline
trapper
hippie  Offline
trapper
H

pa
Originally Posted by Researcher
Originally Posted by Wanna Be
Y’all got birds the chirp at night? Most of ours are really quiet at night unless it’s Full moon, then I’ll hear some occasionally.

Wasn't quite dark yet when I left the lake and recorder. It was a 3rd quarter moon about two days on the wane so not in the night sky which means it would be rising a few hrs before sun up. Also the reflection on the water was a mirror so no wind. Plenty of fish leaving feeding rings at the surface near shore.

What do you research?

What were you hoping to record?

Full disclosure, I don't believe there are Bigfoot roaming around. It snows too much for people to not see tracks for one.

Last edited by hippie; 08/22/24 08:09 AM.
Re: 3 knocks in the woods? Help [Re: hippie] #8201003
08/22/24 08:19 AM
08/22/24 08:19 AM
midland, michigan
M
midlander Offline
trapper
midlander  Offline
trapper
M

midland, michigan

Full disclosure, I don't believe there are Bigfoot roaming around. It snows too much for people to not see tracks for one.[/quote]

Be careful Hippie, this is where theyll start to get squirrelly on you and tell you that bigfoot is a shapeshifter, or that he can disappear when he wants to.
Im not completely knowledgeable about the number of houndhunters in other states, but I can tell you if one existed in Michigan, where there are alleged reported sightings, the hounds wouldve had it treed by now. At the very least, the tracks would have been found in the snow....unless of course bigfoot is a snowbird and heads down to the Villages for winter.... whistle

Re: 3 knocks in the woods? Help [Re: cathryn] #8201015
08/22/24 08:40 AM
08/22/24 08:40 AM
Washington
J
Jingles Offline
trapper
Jingles  Offline
trapper
J

Washington
Sasquash hunters similar to snipe hunters with a gunny sack have fun with local dweeb

The job of a Patriot is not to protect his country but to protect the people from the tryannical government
Re: 3 knocks in the woods? Help [Re: Jingles] #8201072
08/22/24 10:20 AM
08/22/24 10:20 AM
Maine
R
Researcher Offline
trapper
Researcher  Offline
trapper
R

Maine
I'm primarily researching what makes the knocks as they appear on my recording. Whether or not that's a respectable or non respectable goal to someone matters not. The rest is complicated. When 20,000 people descend on Bigfoot festival in a small town called Sutton in West Virginia- population 840- one has to wonder how big of a sham the Bigfoot subject is. 50,000 in Logan, Ohio? So my ultimate goal is the truth of what gives. The creature is either real or not- opinions notwithstanding. I have emailed the Dept. of Agriculture, USFS, and the USFWS for the answer.

As far as I know, no other so-called Sasquatch "researcher" or high-profile Bigfoot influencer, on TV or otherwise, has done that. I'm after an official statement on which side of the coin the truth lies. Real or not real? I want that answer and won't stop until I get it. The issue is all doors are closed and all avenues so far have been dead ends. The other issue is, no matter which way it goes, the truth will cost someone a huge pile of money which is why, so far, the OFFICIAL truth has not been forthcoming.

I am not a believer. Nor am I a non-believer. Because I am an adult, I am a seeker of the truth which, in my mind and world, is an official statement to the public on what the reality is.

Last edited by Researcher; 08/22/24 10:25 AM. Reason: Added content
Re: 3 knocks in the woods? Help [Re: cathryn] #8201095
08/22/24 10:56 AM
08/22/24 10:56 AM
PA
E
elkaholic Offline
trapper
elkaholic  Offline
trapper
E

PA
Where's nightwish when we need him to straighten things out???

Millions of trees die every year to print environmentalist publications
Re: 3 knocks in the woods? Help [Re: cathryn] #8201107
08/22/24 11:11 AM
08/22/24 11:11 AM
PA
P
PAskinner Offline
trapper
PAskinner  Offline
trapper
P

PA
Speaking of Tony Orlando, has anyone checked on his whereabouts since he retired? Tony and a female sasquach living the good life back in the hills is starting to make sense.

Right now I’m having amnesia and déjà vu at the same time. I think I’ve forgotten this before.
Re: 3 knocks in the woods? Help [Re: Researcher] #8201108
08/22/24 11:15 AM
08/22/24 11:15 AM
Virginia
G
GUNNLEG Offline
trapper
GUNNLEG  Offline
trapper
G

Virginia
I'm primarily researching what makes the knocks as they appear on my recording. Whether or not that's a respectable or non respectable goal to someone matters not. The rest is complicated. When 20,000 people descend on Bigfoot festival in a small town called Sutton in West Virginia- population 840- one has to wonder how big of a sham the Bigfoot subject is. 50,000 in Logan, Ohio? So my ultimate goal is the truth of what gives. The creature is either real or not- opinions notwithstanding. I have emailed the Dept. of Agriculture, USFS, and the USFWS for the answer.

As far as I know, no other so-called Sasquatch "researcher" or high-profile Bigfoot influencer, on TV or otherwise, has done that. I'm after an official statement on which side of the coin the truth lies. Real or not real? I want that answer and won't stop until I get it. The issue is all doors are closed and all avenues so far have been dead ends. The other issue is, no matter which way it goes, the truth will cost someone a huge pile of money which is why, so far, the OFFICIAL truth has not been forthcoming.

I am not a believer. Nor am I a non-believer. Because I am an adult, I am a seeker of the truth which, in my mind and world, is an official statement to the public on what the reality is.

Just curious as to why you feel this is your cross to bear.

If someone believes it's real, your 'official' statement ain't gonna convince them it ain't. Same as for the non-believer.

Lastly, go on and add another request for confirmation of alien life, Yah or Nay. Fairly confident you won't get an 'official' response on either request.

Re: 3 knocks in the woods? Help [Re: cathryn] #8201127
08/22/24 12:17 PM
08/22/24 12:17 PM
The Hill Country of Texas
Leftlane Offline
"HOSS"
Leftlane  Offline
"HOSS"

Just for fun we should have a poll- what type of bigfoot believer or skeptic are you?

A) if it goes bump its bigfoot

B) you know longer need to believe anything, you have seen something and know it exists

C) You heard something that you know doesn't fit or cannot be explained by the behavior of normal wildlife. You then screw the pooche by posting a legitimate question on line.

D) You are skeptical because you have never personally seen anything and cite the lack of a body or fossil record (bit have not watched A Race of Giants)

E) You've never seen anything yourself but are such a superior outdoorsman and trapper that you are qualified to correct others and tell them they didnt see what they saw or hear what they heard.

Did I leave anyone out.

“What’s good for me may not be good for the weak minded.”
Captain Gus McCrae- Texas Rangers

Re: 3 knocks in the woods? Help [Re: Researcher] #8201182
08/22/24 02:47 PM
08/22/24 02:47 PM
midland, michigan
M
midlander Offline
trapper
midlander  Offline
trapper
M

midland, michigan

Using that logic, Paul Bunyon must be real based on town festivals in different parts of the country...heck, even leprechauns must exist because a town near me has a huge festival each year on st pattys day. I also suspect you are far from the first researcher to seek official answers or documents from government agencies ref bigfoot. Dont mean to sound harsh, just a bit of a realist on these matters. Could a yet-to-be discovered fish be living 4 miles deep in the ocean...yep. could an 8 foot bipedal hairy creature be living in north america...heck, living in nearly all 50 states based on 'sightings', without a skeleton or carcass located after all these decades and centuries of folk lore....nope.

However, it sounds like this quest keeps you active and entertained, and for that, I hope you keep it up.

Re: 3 knocks in the woods? Help [Re: cathryn] #8201239
08/22/24 04:33 PM
08/22/24 04:33 PM
SW Georgia
W
Wanna Be Offline
trapper
Wanna Be  Offline
trapper
W

SW Georgia
Hasn’t there been TV shows on Discovery or another channel where folks set out to find Bigfoot?
Again, Bigfoot is the North’s Black Panther, lol. It’s 2024 and NO ONE has ever killed one intentionally or unintentionally. Never hit by a tree, car, bullet, lightning, drowning, etc…no decent pics either. Just ain’t buying it. You hear something and it’s Bigfoot. You smell something and it’s Bigfoot. Sounds like my buddy that swore up and down on his children’s life he had a panther/puma/mountain lion screaming every night on his property. I sent him a YouTube video of a fox screaming and never heard another word about a mountain lion.

Re: 3 knocks in the woods? Help [Re: cathryn] #8201280
08/22/24 06:11 PM
08/22/24 06:11 PM
Oakland, MS
yotetrapper30 Offline
trapper
yotetrapper30  Offline
trapper

Oakland, MS
I just find it odd everyone swears there couldn't be a HUMAN in the woods, but find it believable a sasquatch could be. If a 'squatch could be there, why couldn't a person?

Re: 3 knocks in the woods? Help [Re: cathryn] #8201289
08/22/24 06:41 PM
08/22/24 06:41 PM
W NY
Turtledale Offline
trapper
Turtledale  Offline
trapper

W NY
Let's get this back to why we're all on this site.....

Has anyone tried trapping a skunk ape yet?

What size foothold should be used?

What to use for bait? Is squatch a vegan, Carnivore or omnivorous?

What type of set for Yeti? Walk through, dirt hold, scent post?

24 hour check?

Best places to trap a Bigfoot in the U.S.A.?

Should females and juveniles be released?

When is the Abominable Snowman prime?

NYSTA, NTA, FTA, life member Erie county trappers assn.,life member Catt.county trappers
Re: 3 knocks in the woods? Help [Re: cathryn] #8201313
08/22/24 07:12 PM
08/22/24 07:12 PM
Leftlane Offline
"HOSS"
Leftlane  Offline
"HOSS"

Duke # 1 fer sher. I'd prolly hang a blue bucket for a visual attractant.

Researcher thank you for posting the link- it doesn't much sound like a bird to me and if it is it will cost me a lot to trade in my 12 gauges for s punt gun.

“What’s good for me may not be good for the weak minded.”
Captain Gus McCrae- Texas Rangers

Re: 3 knocks in the woods? Help [Re: cathryn] #8201331
08/22/24 07:30 PM
08/22/24 07:30 PM
Missouri
O
Osagan Offline
trapper
Osagan  Offline
trapper
O

Missouri
What about the Rock Apes on Monkey Mountian outside of Da Nang? LOTS and LOTS of GIs swear they exist.

https://www.warhistoryonline.com/vietnam-war/rock-apes-not-a-70s-rock-band.html

Re: 3 knocks in the woods? Help [Re: midlander] #8201357
08/22/24 08:02 PM
08/22/24 08:02 PM
Maine
R
Researcher Offline
trapper
Researcher  Offline
trapper
R

Maine
Originally Posted by midlander
I also suspect you are far from the first researcher to seek official answers or documents from government agencies ref bigfoot.

However, it sounds like this quest keeps you active and entertained, and for that, I hope you keep it up.

Active, yes. Entertained, not so much. And of course I'm not the first to knock on any doors, midlander. What I said was that I know of no one currently in the Bigfoot community, or among their high-profile influencers/researchers, who is doing that. I have to ask why not? Like I said, it's complicated. Especially when one considers the high tech detection capabilities at the US/Can border where normal large animals freely cross back and forth at will. Couple that with artificial intelligence that filters out those normal animals to help make detecting Humans easier. Since a biped humanoid in any form is a biped humanoid then border surveillance should easily be able to detect a Bigfoot....IF EVEN THEY EXIST AT ALL. Because I'm not saying they do. I can't at all really. For the last few years I've just wanted to find out what makes loud percussive knock sounds in the woods at night. Key words being "at night."

@Turtledale: A grizzly hold should do nicely, LOL. At least a griz doesn't have hands grin

Re: 3 knocks in the woods? Help [Re: cathryn] #8201362
08/22/24 08:18 PM
08/22/24 08:18 PM
Mn
N
nightlife Offline
trapper
nightlife  Offline
trapper
N

Mn
Do you have mockingbirds there they can make some strange sounds when I was a kid my cousins had one around their farm that made a hammering sound it must have picked up from my uncle pounding out horse shoes and another that would sit on the porch and imitate the sound of their old screen door from the squeak of it opening to the thump of it closing

�Everything in excess! To enjoy the flavor of life, take big bites. Moderation is for monks.�
― Robert A. Heinlein
Re: 3 knocks in the woods? Help [Re: nightlife] #8201374
08/22/24 08:36 PM
08/22/24 08:36 PM
Maine
R
Researcher Offline
trapper
Researcher  Offline
trapper
R

Maine
Originally Posted by nightlife
Do you have mockingbirds there they can make some strange sounds when I was a kid my cousins had one around their farm that made a hammering sound it must have picked up from my uncle pounding out horse shoes and another that would sit on the porch and imitate the sound of their old screen door from the squeak of it opening to the thump of it closing

Nice coupla anecdotes you have there. Mockingbirds? Sure, tons of them. I'm always amazed by the complexity of their brain's link to their vocal ability for imitating things both animate and inanimate.

Need to catch up here and acknowledge Leftlane's thanks for the link. You're welcome.

Page 16 of 18 1 2 14 15 16 17 18
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread