Strictly Trapping

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Trading Post
(Please support F&T Trading Post, our sponsor for the Trapping Only Forum)

TrappersPost
Please support Trappers post, a sponsor of the Strictly Trapping Forum

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Human sent #7568535
04/24/22 03:49 PM
04/24/22 03:49 PM
Wisconsin
G
Guss Offline OP
trapper
Guss  Offline OP
trapper
G

Wisconsin
How long does it last?

Re: Human sent [Re: Guss] #7568598
04/24/22 05:23 PM
04/24/22 05:23 PM
Marion Kansas
Y
Yes sir Offline
"Callie's little brother"
Yes sir  Offline
Y

Marion Kansas
Depends on how much u leave. With coyotes my guess would in average conditions and time involved in making a set I'd guess they know u were there for at that least 3 or 4 days. How much human odor they will tolerate enough to work set and get caught depends on several variables. My 2 cents.

Re: Human sent [Re: Guss] #7568614
04/24/22 05:41 PM
04/24/22 05:41 PM
Amite county Mississippi
Wolfdog91 Offline
trapper
Wolfdog91  Offline
trapper

Amite county Mississippi
Put it to you like this. Bloodhounds can still pick up on human scent via skin cells ( which ,unless your wear a bubble suit your dropping everywhere 24/7/) for 12.5 days if not more . Don't know the specifics but I remember reading coyotes can smell even better then that. So long story short their gonna smell you. Guys down here are live market trapping during the summer in 90+ degrees sweating like pigs and there making catches within a few days usually so that should tell you something

Re: Human sent [Re: Guss] #7568662
04/24/22 06:41 PM
04/24/22 06:41 PM
Wisconsin
G
Guss Offline OP
trapper
Guss  Offline OP
trapper
G

Wisconsin
Thanks ,I just asked because I made a few sets with no gloves!
But I had a kneeling pad.

Re: Human sent [Re: Guss] #7568680
04/24/22 06:53 PM
04/24/22 06:53 PM
100 Mile House, BC Can
bctomcat Offline
trapper
bctomcat  Offline
trapper

100 Mile House, BC Can
IMO in most good coyote habitat, around rural farm and ranch areas, coyotes are very familiar with human (and other) scent and do not shy away from it unless concentrated in one spot associated with something else like a baited dirt hole; pee post or whatever.
In my experience if you are basically clean you leave very little scent with your feet or hands. If you are worried about it just rub some local vegetation on your hands before setting. Actually, you leave much more scent from your body; essentially have confidence, keep it simple and just get in, set and get out as quickly as possible. Your body sheds off much more scent than you leave with bare hands and will generally dissipate in a day or so.

The only constant in trapping is change so keep learning.

Re: Human sent [Re: Wolfdog91] #7568681
04/24/22 06:54 PM
04/24/22 06:54 PM
Pennsylvania
P
patrapperbuster Offline
trapper
patrapperbuster  Offline
trapper
P

Pennsylvania
Originally Posted by Wolfdog91
Put it to you like this. Bloodhounds can still pick up on human scent via skin cells ( which ,unless your wear a bubble suit your dropping everywhere 24/7/) for 12.5 days if not more . Don't know the specifics but I remember reading coyotes can smell even better then that. So long story short their gonna smell you. Guys down here are live market trapping during the summer in 90+ degrees sweating like pigs and there making catches within a few days usually so that should tell you something

Exactly right on bloodhounds. We constantly shed microscopic dead skin cells.. This is how bloodhounds track. A test was done putting a person in a trunk of a car & drove around a couple of streets & the dog traveled the exact route. Would love to see test results of wild animals on their scenting ability

Till that day.....
Re: Human sent [Re: Guss] #7568768
04/24/22 08:18 PM
04/24/22 08:18 PM
Northern Nevada
B
Bob Offline
trapper
Bob  Offline
trapper
B

Northern Nevada
I set without gloves or a kneeling pad, and I still catch coyotes regularly. I think after a day or two they can still smell you but they can tell you’re no longer there and will work a set anyway. Last year I made a two sets on a warm day, no gloves, no kneeling pad, sweating all over, had a coyote double the next day. Don’t get too caught up in stressing over human scent. Get in, make your sets quickly and efficiently, get out, and then check em from a distance. Catch the dumb ones and move on.

this is for fur trapping. If you’re doing control work where getting every last one is important then you absolutely need to cross every T and dot every i to fool the wise ones.

"I have two guns, one for each of ya."
Re: Human sent [Re: Guss] #7570793
04/27/22 08:26 AM
04/27/22 08:26 AM
Southern Michigan
T
trappergbus Offline
trapper
trappergbus  Offline
trapper
T

Southern Michigan
I truly believe a well formulated attractant takes the caution away caused by human odor/presents. I wear gloves to protect my hands and take my time making sets correctly. Trap is always on the downwind side of the set. I get straight line approaches and more consistent catches than when I raced to make sets. If I walked from the tough ones here, I wouldn't trap many coyotes. By November they are all pressured from the increased human traffic from deer hunters and nighttime calling. I've had to adjust and do both at the same time. When the population was higher it was almost easy, now it's not....

Common sense catches alot of fur..
Pay homage to all you harvest..
Re: Human sent [Re: Guss] #7571182
04/27/22 06:10 PM
04/27/22 06:10 PM
St. Louis Co, Mo
B
BigBob Offline
trapper
BigBob  Offline
trapper
B

St. Louis Co, Mo
What you've been eating/drinking makes difference too!

Every kid needs a Dog and a Curmudgeon.

Remember Bowe Bergdahl, the traitor.

Beware! Jill Pudlewski, Ron Oates and Keven Begesse are liars and thiefs!
Re: Human sent [Re: Guss] #7571435
04/27/22 10:10 PM
04/27/22 10:10 PM
Georgia
warrior Offline
trapper
warrior  Offline
trapper

Georgia
Lots of speculation on this topic. Mainly because we lack the ability to smell the same cues our targets do.

JMO, but odor producing molecules are so prevalent both on ourselves and on every living thing in the environment that I imagine it would be almost physically impossible to go undetectable to something as sensitive as a canine nose.
So my take is to not lose sleep over it and try to work with what is. Basically keep what may be offensive or alarming to a minimum and offer other odors that may be more attractive or able to overcome any reluctance.
Also understanding my target's possible reactions, learned or otherwise, to the odors I leave behind at a set.

Again, jmo, but in many cases human odor alone is not necessarily a deterrent. I've had deer trail me into a stand so I know in that case it wasn't enough to cause flight. Yet if I wave a hand at that deer or speak I get instant flight.

Georgia just released a study where they placed cameras to watch the reaction of deer to various recorded sounds. The #1 cause of flight was human voices, #2 was wolves howling, coyotes #4 behind dogs. Seems 1 and 4 and possibly 3 are learned behavior while 2 is instinctual as wolves have been extirpated from Georgia for more than a century.

https://www.outdoorlife.com/hunting/study-shows-deer-fear-human-voices/

Take away, don't be learning them that human sent near a hole or rock with lure is to be feared.

[Linked Image]
Re: Human sent [Re: Guss] #7571484
04/27/22 11:07 PM
04/27/22 11:07 PM
Marion Kansas
Y
Yes sir Offline
Yes sir  Offline
Y

Marion Kansas
I don't think there's much u can do about human odor besides just get in reasonably quick and get out and stay as far away checking the set as u can. Here coyote are just spooky about human odor in places they don't regularly smell it. Every coyote I've witness walk across my trail while deer hunting acted like something slapped his nose and they always left the scene faster than they came. I got over a hundred videos of coyotes this spring testing lure some places some coyotes seemed spooky the first day or two. Some places that I was regularly at they rarely acted spooky. One 160 acre field I could set camera at the NE corner (I regularly test there for several years and year around) and coyotes never acted nervous. Move camera to SW corner and some coyotes got spooky enough they would go very wide around set and camera..... I always figure coyotes noses can tell them as much or more than what our eyesight tells us. With that in mind think about this. Do foot prints in the snow walking down the sidewalk or street make u nervous? How about if those foot prints left the sidewalk and walked around your car or house and stopped by each window? Most coyotes know something is at least a little off when a human walks out into a field, kneels down, plays in the dirt then leaves something very appealing there. Day 3 is the most common day for a coyotes to work a test set or trap set for me. To frequent to be chance.

Re: Human sent [Re: Guss] #7572000
04/28/22 04:19 PM
04/28/22 04:19 PM
Georgia
warrior Offline
trapper
warrior  Offline
trapper

Georgia
Yup, these city coyotes are so used to human activity that I get some leeway. Do the same thing out in the country where everything is posted and leased up a coyote might avoid for a month.

There's more to know about the critters we chase than just what they like to eat.

[Linked Image]
Re: Human sent [Re: Guss] #7572147
04/28/22 07:19 PM
04/28/22 07:19 PM
Idaho
B
bearcat2 Offline
trapper
bearcat2  Offline
trapper
B

Idaho
Yup doesn't matter, hunting or trapping. I use clean gloves when setting traps and don't kneel on the ground, but don't really worry about scent off my boots or whatnot when setting along roads. I explain the same thing when guiding elk hunters, the animals are used to smelling humans on logging roads, unless your scent is very fresh (enough so that the animals smelling it think you are still close) they don't spook, they expect to smell older human scent there. Get off in the woods away from where they expect to smell human scent and it is a whole nuther ball game.

Re: Human sent [Re: Guss] #7572160
04/28/22 07:36 PM
04/28/22 07:36 PM
Nebraska
silkyplainscoyot Offline
trapper
silkyplainscoyot  Offline
trapper

Nebraska
I agree with Yes sir on day 3 for my area too. Probably a lot of variables come into play though. Windy and dry conditions I feel dissipate scent quicker than with areas that are more moist and have less wind.

I have thought about about the foot print thing. Not sure it really makes a difference in some areas. A lot of cattle in the areas I trap. So I think they are use to ground disturbance and don't really differentiate human foot prints from cattle.

Re: Human sent [Re: silkyplainscoyot] #7572184
04/28/22 08:06 PM
04/28/22 08:06 PM
Marion Kansas
Y
Yes sir Offline
Yes sir  Offline
Y

Marion Kansas
Originally Posted by silkyplainscoyot
I agree with Yes sir on day 3 for my area too. Probably a lot of variables come into play though. Windy and dry conditions I feel dissipate scent quicker than with areas that are more moist and have less wind.

I have thought about about the foot print thing. Not sure it really makes a difference in some areas. A lot of cattle in the areas I trap. So I think they are use to ground disturbance and don't really differentiate human foot prints from cattle.

What my analogy with the footprints is that coyotes noses gives them as much information or more than what our eyesight communicates to us. If that makes any sense. I don't worry about my footprints per say in the dirt either.

Re: Human sent [Re: Yes sir] #7572205
04/28/22 08:39 PM
04/28/22 08:39 PM
Nebraska
silkyplainscoyot Offline
trapper
silkyplainscoyot  Offline
trapper

Nebraska
Originally Posted by Yes sir
Originally Posted by silkyplainscoyot

What my analogy with the footprints is that coyotes noses gives them as much information or more than what our eyesight communicates to us. If that makes any sense. I don't worry about my footprints per say in the dirt either.

Ok, I get what you are saying. I just had in mind actual footprints left behind. I know some worry about them and try and brush them out. I'm sure some have seen coyotes veer off track when they come across human tracks and think it's the prints. I would venture to say it probably has to do with a fresh smell(scent) of recent activity that alarms them to something.

Re: Human sent [Re: Guss] #7572843
04/29/22 05:32 PM
04/29/22 05:32 PM
Peoria County Illinois
Larry Baer Offline
trapper
Larry Baer  Offline
trapper

Peoria County Illinois
Guss- for every one who says '' make sure you do this'' or ''you have to do this'' there is another person saying don't do it. None of us are coyotes - how do we know. We just know what works for us. They know you were there. A lot of people get them the first night so those coyotes are either ignoring it or thinking it is not a threat if they don't see you there. They can also tell you have not been there for a while or you are there now. I wouldn't worry about it and just go set traps. Just don't let smells like food or lure on the traps and keep them clean and you'll be fine. He's 2 of them 2 days in a row. That's my house about 10 yards in the back ground. You could argue they are used to me though.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Just passin through
Re: Human sent [Re: Guss] #7573672
04/30/22 04:59 PM
04/30/22 04:59 PM
ND
grumley701 Offline
trapper
grumley701  Offline
trapper

ND
I'm not sure how long it last but I can say through experience that after I punch in a line the third day is my most productive day. I do know hounds are known to be able to pick up scent older than 3 days, it seems that after a couple days coyotes are comfortable enough with the scent left to work my sets.

Pure Blood
Re: Human sent [Re: Guss] #7573768
04/30/22 07:48 PM
04/30/22 07:48 PM
Georgia
warrior Offline
trapper
warrior  Offline
trapper

Georgia
I agree on the third day deal. I would only assume it was three days before one passed by if it weren't for many times seeing evidence of one passing or even approaching the set.

In that case I suspect they note something new and attractive but caution keeps them away only until they've confirmed for themselves nothing hinky is going on. Which is why most of us make a set and leave it be, no fussing or tinkering around with a set on a daily basis.

[Linked Image]
Re: Human sent [Re: Guss] #7573797
04/30/22 08:29 PM
04/30/22 08:29 PM
james bay frontierOnt.
B
Boco Offline
trapper
Boco  Offline
trapper
B

james bay frontierOnt.
Human scent (like a lot of other scent)belongs on a trapline.it is left there by the trapper scouting,hunting,fishing berry picking and running his line
Human scent,(and other scents utilized by the trapper) must not be introduced into areas that they dont belong-unless you are using scent as a method of diversion at a specific set.
Keep all scents,including human scent where it belongs.
Handling traps and snares with bare hands is no problem.
Under no circumstances handle bait or lure with bare hands and then handle your traps and snares.This is introducing scents where they do not belong and will cause you problems.
I normally do baiting and setting my jackpots on different days.
I know when first setting footholds you have to handle traps and bait scent all day long.Use gloves to handle your bait/lure and handle your traps with bare hands,or vice versa so as to not introduce scents where they dont belong.
A trap at a remade set at a stunk up catch circle should be handled with you gloves on so as not to transfer scent to your hands if you will make new sets later.

Forget that fear of gravity-get a little savagery in your life.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  Drifter, Wolfdog91