Strictly Trapping

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Trading Post
(Please support F&T Trading Post, our sponsor for the Trapping Only Forum)

TrappersPost
Please support Trappers post, a sponsor of the Strictly Trapping Forum

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Logwood dye question [Re: Boone Liane] #7624415
07/11/22 04:03 PM
07/11/22 04:03 PM
Mesa,Washington.
M
Mark McCary Offline
trapper
Mark McCary  Offline
trapper
M

Mesa,Washington.
Great post Boone!!!!

Re: Logwood dye question [Re: ToCatchAPredator] #7624597
07/11/22 08:49 PM
07/11/22 08:49 PM
sw iowa
Outlaw99 Offline
trapper
Outlaw99  Offline
trapper

sw iowa
I’m sure different soils affect steel differently in different country. 1 season with multiple catches and my traps are real rusty. I’m not worried about that affecting my catch, but I am worried about it progressing and degrading the quality of my iron. That’s why I dye all my users after a season. New traps usually get sat out in the elements for a few weeks to naturally rinse off some oil or they get ran. Everything gets waxed. Everyone’s got a different situation, this is just what works for me.

Not everyone likes me, but not everyone matters
Re: Logwood dye question [Re: ToCatchAPredator] #7624666
07/11/22 10:13 PM
07/11/22 10:13 PM
Maine
A
andrews1958 Offline
trapper
andrews1958  Offline
trapper
A

Maine
Originally Posted by ToCatchAPredator
First time using the logwood dye, last season I started out and dyed all my traps with stag horn Schumac. First time dying traps with logwood crystals and notice a certain scent with it. Question is does it dissipate and if not do predators smell it?

Originally Posted by ToCatchAPredator
First time using the logwood dye, last season I started out and dyed all my traps with stag horn Schumac. First time dying traps with logwood crystals and notice a certain scent with it. Question is does it dissipate and if not do predators smell it?

I do it cause I love the smell of logwood and it gets me in trapping mode!

Re: Logwood dye question [Re: ToCatchAPredator] #7625005
07/12/22 12:34 PM
07/12/22 12:34 PM
Central Ohio
LT GREY Offline
trapper
LT GREY  Offline
trapper

Central Ohio

Who remembers when they had the (actual) black crystals and does anyone sell them anymore ?

Re: Logwood dye question [Re: Boone Liane] #7625031
07/12/22 01:45 PM
07/12/22 01:45 PM
james bay frontierOnt.
B
Boco Offline
trapper
Boco  Offline
trapper
B

james bay frontierOnt.
Originally Posted by Boone Liane
I dye (boil) for a couple reasons.

Used traps are gonna rust. Period. And you need to do something annually to that rust. You can scrub on em with a wire brush, vinegar bath them, tumble em in a cement mixer with gravel, or neutralize that new crop of rust with high tannin solutions (even if it is just temporarily) .

I’m not gonna hand scrub 600+ traps.

Vinegar, while ok for occasional use on badly rusted traps is not something I want to annually do to traps, because vinegar is as bad for the steel as the rust is. Both rust and vinegar etch steel, pit steel, which causes them to rust faster the second time around. No thanks.

I’m not gonna tumble 600+ traps in a cement mixer to shine them up.

But I can dye and wax 600+ traps in about 8 hours.

It’s a great deodorizer. I pressure wash all my traps before dying. But I can pressure wash a skunked up trap till my eyes bleed and still smell skunk.

And it’s the only treatment (besides wax), I can use one day and catch coyotes with the next. Plus, I firmly believe waxed traps function better and better resist freezing down in nasty, wet and freezing conditions.

I’ve used a lot of dips. Every one I’ve used needs time to air out, and time to cure before use.

New traps can just be degreased and waxed. But with use comes rust.

Good post,agree 100%

Forget that fear of gravity-get a little savagery in your life.
Re: Logwood dye question [Re: LT GREY] #7625939
07/13/22 08:28 PM
07/13/22 08:28 PM
sw iowa
Outlaw99 Offline
trapper
Outlaw99  Offline
trapper

sw iowa
Originally Posted by LT GREY

Who remembers when they had the (actual) black crystals and does anyone sell them anymore ?

Marty Smith with Kegcreeklures has it, it’s good stuff

Not everyone likes me, but not everyone matters
Re: Logwood dye question [Re: The Beav] #7626386
07/14/22 12:01 PM
07/14/22 12:01 PM
Idaho
B
bearcat2 Offline
trapper
bearcat2  Offline
trapper
B

Idaho
Originally Posted by The Beav
So you rust your traps to take the dye. Then you dye the traps In a hot dye solution. Then you take the traps out and hang to dry and they begin to rust as they dry. Then you cover the dye with wax.
But If that gives you confidence In your catch rate then that's what you should do.

No I don't rust my traps to dye, but I do dye traps that are already rusted. I've a couple traps that are fifteen years old and still have a lot of silver showing, unlike their littermates they never rusted much, all those traps bought at that time I waxed brand new and went to using. Those couple apparently never caught much/had the wax knocked off of them so they never developed rust in a lot of places to take the dye. They are ran through the dye pot and waxed every year, but they are kind of mottled black and silver gray because the dye doesn't take on the clean steel.

And I've some traps that were dyed and waxed fifteen years ago (with the wax melted on top of the water of the dye pot, so no chance to "dry" before being waxed) and haven't been used since, just hung on the side of the shed. (Bunch of Victor #3 dbls beaver traps, I don't trap near as many beaver as I used to, and always set all my #4s and B&Ls first because I like them better, and haven't had to break into a few dozen of my #3 spares) Those traps are as nice a black without a drop of rust on them, as they were the day I pulled them out of the pot. So I will argue the dye and wax does protect them and they do not begin to rust as soon as you pull them out.

Re: Logwood dye question [Re: Boco] #7626391
07/14/22 12:04 PM
07/14/22 12:04 PM
Idaho
B
bearcat2 Offline
trapper
bearcat2  Offline
trapper
B

Idaho
Originally Posted by Boco
Originally Posted by Boone Liane
I dye (boil) for a couple reasons.

Used traps are gonna rust. Period. And you need to do something annually to that rust. You can scrub on em with a wire brush, vinegar bath them, tumble em in a cement mixer with gravel, or neutralize that new crop of rust with high tannin solutions (even if it is just temporarily) .

I’m not gonna hand scrub 600+ traps.

Vinegar, while ok for occasional use on badly rusted traps is not something I want to annually do to traps, because vinegar is as bad for the steel as the rust is. Both rust and vinegar etch steel, pit steel, which causes them to rust faster the second time around. No thanks.

I’m not gonna tumble 600+ traps in a cement mixer to shine them up.

But I can dye and wax 600+ traps in about 8 hours.

It’s a great deodorizer. I pressure wash all my traps before dying. But I can pressure wash a skunked up trap till my eyes bleed and still smell skunk.

And it’s the only treatment (besides wax), I can use one day and catch coyotes with the next. Plus, I firmly believe waxed traps function better and better resist freezing down in nasty, wet and freezing conditions.

I’ve used a lot of dips. Every one I’ve used needs time to air out, and time to cure before use.

New traps can just be degreased and waxed. But with use comes rust.

Good post,agree 100%

x3 With the caveat that I am dipping all my newer canine traps in white paint for snow use. I've got to air them for a while though, and they don't hold up to rust as well as dyed and waxed traps.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  Drifter, Wolfdog91