Strictly Trapping

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Trading Post
(Please support F&T Trading Post, our sponsor for the Trapping Only Forum)

TrappersPost
Please support Trappers post, a sponsor of the Strictly Trapping Forum

Print Thread
Hop To
How to use gland lures? #7644094
08/06/22 10:40 PM
08/06/22 10:40 PM
Indiana
H
HoosierTrapper07 Offline OP
trapper
HoosierTrapper07  Offline OP
trapper
H

Indiana
I would like to hear how different trappers use gland lures when trapping specifically for coyotes.

- Flat sets or dirt holes?
- Is there a particular time of year that they work best?
- Aged or fresh?
- Coyote glad vs fox vs Bobcat vs grey fox? Would you use different gland species for different purposes, or different times of the year?

Thanks

Edit: Your favorite commercially available gland lure?

Last edited by HoosierTrapper07; 08/06/22 11:10 PM.
Re: How to use gland lures? [Re: HoosierTrapper07] #7644111
08/06/22 11:08 PM
08/06/22 11:08 PM
Wisconsin
B
Bear Tracker Offline
trapper
Bear Tracker  Offline
trapper
B

Wisconsin
Following this one!

Re: How to use gland lures? [Re: HoosierTrapper07] #7644149
08/06/22 11:58 PM
08/06/22 11:58 PM
Nebraska
silkyplainscoyot Offline
trapper
silkyplainscoyot  Offline
trapper

Nebraska
I use it at flat sets and dirt holes.

It works well anytime but seems to grab the attention of older adult males in January around here.

I prefer fresh.

Coyote, Fox, and Bobcat gland all work well on coyotes anytime.

John Graham makes some excellent coyote, bobcat, and fox gland lure. Wayne Derrick makes a good coyote gland lure I like as well. Minnesota Red is also a good all around gland lure.

Re: How to use gland lures? [Re: HoosierTrapper07] #7644155
08/07/22 12:10 AM
08/07/22 12:10 AM
Marion Kansas
Y
Yes sir Online content
"Callie's little brother"
Yes sir  Online Content
Y

Marion Kansas
I'm going to put this out there(don't hurt me too bad) in my testing I've seen more coyotes get spooky around coyote gland lures than all other lures I've tested put together. Even straight coyote glands , nothing added. With that said I'll add a few disclaimers. First I haven't done a lot of testing with gland lures, probably less than 50 test sets. Second I have seen good reactions and have caught coyotes on gland lures. And finally I will acknowledge they have there time and place.

I will add the negative reactions was just gland lure smeared on an existing object so I don't think the set presentation had anything to do with them getting spooky. I watched one coyote crawl the last 15 feet to the set on its belly once. Never seen that reaction before or after that.And I also know some fur trappers that have put up some really big catches that have stated the same thing. I've also seen some "gland" formulation recipes that used enough other stronger odors that I would think the glands would be a secondary odor at best and that might be stretching it.

This should get the conversation going. Lol

Last edited by Yes sir; 08/07/22 12:30 AM.
Re: How to use gland lures? [Re: HoosierTrapper07] #7644180
08/07/22 12:31 AM
08/07/22 12:31 AM
Northern Nevada
B
Bob Offline
trapper
Bob  Offline
trapper
B

Northern Nevada
Yes sir, it would be interesting to study this further. I’ve always used gland lures for coyote and had success with them, but your observations have me rethinking that a little.

Anyone else had similar experiences?

"I have two guns, one for each of ya."
Re: How to use gland lures? [Re: HoosierTrapper07] #7644190
08/07/22 01:01 AM
08/07/22 01:01 AM
Marion Kansas
Y
Yes sir Online content
Yes sir  Online Content
Y

Marion Kansas
Don't go off half cocked based off what I say.Lol Based off what some others say I'm starting to think my coyotes are onto the camera thing and just missing with me to lead me down the wrong track.

Last edited by Yes sir; 08/07/22 01:03 AM.
Re: How to use gland lures? [Re: HoosierTrapper07] #7644201
08/07/22 01:39 AM
08/07/22 01:39 AM
Idaho
B
bearcat2 Offline
trapper
bearcat2  Offline
trapper
B

Idaho
I use them with flat sets. Frankly my favorite lures. Often use them with scat or dog crap. I've never used fox glands but I've found Weiser's Wolf Gland to be my best producer on coyotes as well as an excellent wolf lure. They seem to work best from January on but I've caught stuff on them from as early as I start in the fall. I've never summer trapped so I can't say how they work late spring and summer.

Re: How to use gland lures? [Re: HoosierTrapper07] #7644261
08/07/22 07:53 AM
08/07/22 07:53 AM
Marion Kansas
Y
Yes sir Online content
Yes sir  Online Content
Y

Marion Kansas
Mike Fales shared some of his videos and finding while testing gland lures. You can view them on YouTube under Seldom Fails if your intrested

Re: How to use gland lures? [Re: HoosierTrapper07] #7644284
08/07/22 08:25 AM
08/07/22 08:25 AM
Southern Michigan
T
trappergbus Offline
trapper
trappergbus  Offline
trapper
T

Southern Michigan
Originally Posted by HoosierTrapper07
I would like to hear how different trappers use gland lures when trapping specifically for coyotes.

- Flat sets or dirt holes?
- Is there a particular time of year that they work best?
- Aged or fresh?
- Coyote glad vs fox vs Bobcat vs grey fox? Would you use different gland species for different purposes, or different times of the year?

Thanks

Edit: Your favorite commercially available gland lure?

Flats from Christmas on. Fresh seems to get the most attention. I use coyote and red fox sometimes together. Graham's Deception, Derrick's Gman and Marsyada's 601 and my own 3 gland mix..

Common sense catches alot of fur..
Pay homage to all you harvest..
Re: How to use gland lures? [Re: HoosierTrapper07] #7650608
08/15/22 04:40 PM
08/15/22 04:40 PM
Central Ohio
LT GREY Offline
trapper
LT GREY  Offline
trapper

Central Ohio
First of all, ask yourself this simple two-part question :

1) What am I asking the lure to do ?
2) What am I asking the lure to convey to the approaching (target) animal ?

# Yes Sir, brings up an interesting point about coyotes getting 'spooky' around gland lures of their own kind.
Kansas, much like Texas , raises coyotes. . .they just do.
More coyotes per square mile than many places across the country.

Coyotes in a heavily populated area are extremely territorial and gland lure, especially on the pups ( yearling population )
can cause those coyotes to become * neophobic, especially when the smell of strange gland lure is used.
Young coyotes grow up, being used to being forced into submission and the odor of a dominant coyote can alert them they are in dangerous territory.

Crossing into another pack's territory can get you killed.

The worst part of crossing that line, is not knowing you already have !

Ask a good many wolf trappers why most wolves won't respond to wolf urine, but respond well to coyote urine.
( Same thing )

* meaning : extreme or irrational dislike of anything new or unfamiliar

Re: How to use gland lures? [Re: HoosierTrapper07] #7651251
08/16/22 03:21 PM
08/16/22 03:21 PM
Marion Kansas
Y
Yes sir Online content
Yes sir  Online Content
Y

Marion Kansas
I'm not completely sure about coyotes in my part of Ks being extremely territorial based of what I've seen with the exception of denning season. They definitely establish a dominance order though. I see a high level of interaction amongst our coyotes here, even well into breeding season when they are paired up.My personal theory is urine says a coyote was here and gland lure( particularly a pure fresher type) says a coyote is HERE. And when I think about it this way I kind of think about it the same as me hearing another person's voice coming from a place my eyes tell me there cant be another person. Just my 2 cents but I'm probably wrong but I like sharing. [Linked Image]
The date is right on that image and there was actually 6 coyotes there I just didn't save the pic from the right part of the video where u could see all six.

Re: How to use gland lures? [Re: HoosierTrapper07] #7653849
08/20/22 08:41 AM
08/20/22 08:41 AM
Central Ohio
LT GREY Offline
trapper
LT GREY  Offline
trapper

Central Ohio
Like I said, Kansas raises coyotes ! LOL

Re: How to use gland lures? [Re: HoosierTrapper07] #7653882
08/20/22 10:18 AM
08/20/22 10:18 AM
SW Pa
B
Bob Jameson Offline
trapper
Bob Jameson  Offline
trapper
B

SW Pa
Coyotes aren't humans nor do they rationalize like we do at times. They operate from basic instincts and some learning experience thrown in the mix. Add the age factor, time of year, sex etc. you can see how you can get a variety of responses with the same lure.

As LT .stated.

It is how it is used, how much is used and what the finished set appears to dictate to the animals sense of perception. There are no absolutes all the time. There are common responses that many animals will share but other factors play into their final reaction when it comes down to it.

Most trappers are hoping to do as good as they can with what they have to work with in their area. So blanket animal responses can be expected but will only go so far. Then you have to make some changes to continue to be productive or you will stall out with your catches.

If you have a lots of traffic over time success will be good. However, in time, things will change as populations drop from harvesting and as animals react to stimuli that they have encountered and experienced in their travels.

Then it is a challenge for us to adapt and continue to connect. When your time, trapping permission and animal densities are limited you can expect things to fizzle out. Just a fact for many parts of the country. If you have the opportunity to move on to new areas some distance away then you can, depending upon circumstances, continue being productive.

Re: How to use gland lures? [Re: LT GREY] #7653929
08/20/22 12:03 PM
08/20/22 12:03 PM
Marion Kansas
Y
Yes sir Online content
Yes sir  Online Content
Y

Marion Kansas
Originally Posted by LT GREY
Like I said, Kansas raises coyotes ! LOL

grin faster than I can trap them.

Re: How to use gland lures? [Re: LT GREY] #7655805
08/22/22 09:14 PM
08/22/22 09:14 PM
Va
S
Spike369 Offline
trapper
Spike369  Offline
trapper
S

Va
I lived in Lansing, ks for 5 years. It's the only place where I killed 3 coyotes with a bow. I was deer hunting. Seemed like there were coyotes everywhere. If you wounded a deer you better find it that evening or the coyotes would. In some cases they would find it within hours . You could always come back the next morning and locate it from the howling. My comment has absolutely nothing to do with the thread but yes sir got me to reminisce. Old man moment I guess.

Re: How to use gland lures? [Re: Spike369] #7655817
08/22/22 09:24 PM
08/22/22 09:24 PM
SW Georgia
W
Wanna Be Offline
trapper
Wanna Be  Offline
trapper
W

SW Georgia
Originally Posted by Spike369
I lived in Lansing, ks for 5 years. It's the only place where I killed 3 coyotes with a bow. I was deer hunting. Seemed like there were coyotes everywhere. If you wounded a deer you better find it that evening or the coyotes would. In some cases they would find it within hours . You could always come back the next morning and locate it from the howling. My comment has absolutely nothing to do with the thread but yes sir got me to reminisce. Old man moment I guess.

One of the years we hunted Kansas for turkeys we called in Coyotes about every other set up. It was so bad, when we were walking and calling trying to get a gobbler to respond, my son looked behind us and less than 10yds was a coyote stalking us! Had to have been around 2012-2014. Another time we located a gobbler and was working our way towards him and he shut up all of a sudden. We hunkered down thinking he might be coming in, he was…in a dang coyotes mouth!!

Last edited by Wanna Be; 08/22/22 09:27 PM.
Re: How to use gland lures? [Re: LT GREY] #7655821
08/22/22 09:26 PM
08/22/22 09:26 PM
Pennsylvania
P
patrapperbuster Offline
trapper
patrapperbuster  Offline
trapper
P

Pennsylvania
Originally Posted by LT GREY
First of all, ask yourself this simple two-part question :

1) What am I asking the lure to do ?
2) What am I asking the lure to convey to the approaching (target) animal ?

# Yes Sir, brings up an interesting point about coyotes getting 'spooky' around gland lures of their own kind.
Kansas, much like Texas , raises coyotes. . .they just do.
More coyotes per square mile than many places across the country.

Coyotes in a heavily populated area are extremely territorial and gland lure, especially on the pups ( yearling population )
can cause those coyotes to become * neophobic, especially when the smell of strange gland lure is used.
Young coyotes grow up, being used to being forced into submission and the odor of a dominant coyote can alert them they are in dangerous territory.

Crossing into another pack's territory can get you killed.

The worst part of crossing that line, is not knowing you already have !

Ask a good many wolf trappers why most wolves won't respond to wolf urine, but respond well to coyote urine.
( Same thing )

* meaning : extreme or irrational dislike of anything new or unfamiliar

This is why many young coyote are caught in fox sets using fox gland lures

Re: How to use gland lures? [Re: Yes sir] #7656305
08/23/22 02:04 PM
08/23/22 02:04 PM
Michigan
B
BigBlackBirds Online content
trapper
BigBlackBirds  Online Content
trapper
B

Michigan
Originally Posted by Yes sir
I'm going to put this out there(don't hurt me too bad) in my testing I've seen more coyotes get spooky around coyote gland lures than all other lures I've tested put together. Even straight coyote glands , nothing added. With that said I'll add a few disclaimers. First I haven't done a lot of testing with gland lures, probably less than 50 test sets. Second I have seen good reactions and have caught coyotes on gland lures. And finally I will acknowledge they have there time and place.

I will add the negative reactions was just gland lure smeared on an existing object so I don't think the set presentation had anything to do with them getting spooky. I watched one coyote crawl the last 15 feet to the set on its belly once. Never seen that reaction before or after that.And I also know some fur trappers that have put up some really big catches that have stated the same thing. I've also seen some "gland" formulation recipes that used enough other stronger odors that I would think the glands would be a secondary odor at best and that might be stretching it.

This should get the conversation going. Lol

Yes sir
just something to throw out there---have you noticed the same caution at different times of the year? How about with non-coyote gland?

For my disclaimer---This is the opposite world from Kansas; we dont produce that many. But we've got no shortage of pressure on them from wide range of activities which has caused them to react differently over the last couple decades. And I'm basically a stones throw from Mike.

i've seen a mix of reactions under the cameras when i'm decently convinced the smells are at play in producing the reaction and not just the camera. heres my broad take away--- 1) theres a percentage of critters that will always be spooky of virtually everything from a cat to a dog to another coyote. anything and everything seems to put them on guard. thankfully they arent all that way or we might never catch anything. i'd think those critters likely cause gray hair for adc guys. 2) there's the opposite group that are bold but make it thru the pressure and live until adulthood. they become educated on when to be spooky but glands dont seem to scare them. i think some of the reactions i've seen in video is it actually makes them mad or agitated. and 3) theres everything else that probably is majority of population. videos in the summer prior to season with younger critters seem to show some apprehension and sometimes complete avoidance to coyote smells but inclined to check out other glands and urine. but my sample size is pretty small too. hoping to put up set of cameras this weekend. ive also noticed in video that some families act differently as a group than others and my guess is that is based on how mom is wired. some moms seems to make the kids more guarded than others in those first months of learning.

during late fall thru winter, i find myself using gland lure at sets but cameras are hardly ever being used then. catch critters on it but ive also seen them spook on snow with it. as winter is giving way to spring and ive wrapped up season, i have more cameras out. they seem to hit gland and urine pretty frequently then but maybe its also because sample size is bigger from more days with camera running and new critters moving thru on dispersal or setting up new territory? well thats just my rambling for the day

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  Drifter, Wolfdog91