No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Re: Electric cars. Riddle me this. [Re: Flicker Shad] #7676234
09/21/22 08:07 PM
09/21/22 08:07 PM
Sandhills Nebraska
G
Gary Benson Offline
trapper
Gary Benson  Offline
trapper
G

Sandhills Nebraska
Um no.

Life ain't supposed to be easy.
Re: Electric cars. Riddle me this. [Re: HobbieTrapper] #7676237
09/21/22 08:09 PM
09/21/22 08:09 PM
Sandhills Nebraska
G
Gary Benson Offline
trapper
Gary Benson  Offline
trapper
G

Sandhills Nebraska
Originally Posted by HobbieTrapper
Can you tinker with an EV and make it a hot rod?

Argument over.

Prolly can't lift it, drop it, or put wide or oversize tires on it neither.
4 WD? I rather doubt it.
Will the boss be driving an elektrik Tacoma 200 miles a day trapping beaver? I think not.

Last edited by Gary Benson; 09/21/22 08:11 PM.

Life ain't supposed to be easy.
Re: Electric cars. Riddle me this. [Re: Flicker Shad] #7676245
09/21/22 08:20 PM
09/21/22 08:20 PM
Oakland, MS
Drifter Offline
trapper
Drifter  Offline
trapper

Oakland, MS
This is from White's article.

Electric cars’ impact on air pollution isn’t as straightforward as you might think. The vehicles themselves pollute only slightly less than a gasoline car because their massive batteries and consequent weight leads to more particulate pollution from greater wear on brakes, tires and roads. On top of that, the additional electricity they require can throw up large amounts of air pollution depending on how it’s generated.

Something folks are going to be blindsided by is a soon to be mileage tax. The EV being heavier is harder on the roads. They are NOT paying a road tax yet.Congress has already been talking about a mileage tax even before the EV boom. Mileage tax

Some individuals use statistics as a drunk man uses lamp-posts — for support rather than for illumination.

Andrew Lang (1844-1912) Scottish poet, novelist and literary critic

Life member NTA , and GA Trappers assoc .
Re: Electric cars. Riddle me this. [Re: Drifter] #7676271
09/21/22 08:46 PM
09/21/22 08:46 PM
Rodney,Ohio
SNIPERBBB Online happy
trapper
SNIPERBBB  Online Happy
trapper

Rodney,Ohio
Originally Posted by Drifter
This is from White's article.

Electric cars’ impact on air pollution isn’t as straightforward as you might think. The vehicles themselves pollute only slightly less than a gasoline car because their massive batteries and consequent weight leads to more particulate pollution from greater wear on brakes, tires and roads. On top of that, the additional electricity they require can throw up large amounts of air pollution depending on how it’s generated.

Something folks are going to be blindsided by is a soon to be mileage tax. The EV being heavier is harder on the roads. They are NOT paying a road tax yet.Congress has already been talking about a mileage tax even before the EV boom. Mileage tax

Thats not even counting the emissions created from making the vehicles and batteries.

Re: Electric cars. Riddle me this. [Re: MattLA] #7676286
09/21/22 08:58 PM
09/21/22 08:58 PM
Montana/Florida
G
Gene Dziza Offline
trapper
Gene Dziza  Offline
trapper
G

Montana/Florida
I went through the steps to build one online and got my name in line for a Lightning. I hung a bunch of options I wanted. It’s a dual motor, so I get “4 wheel drive”. I was shocked at the price, which was under $45,000. I didn’t think you could buy a gas F-150 4wd for under 50, but maybe you can. I like the locking trunk for guns, etc. Since then, they have announced a price increase because of battery expense. I have a Tesla that stays in Montana, and it’s an amazing car. There’s a few naysayers on here, Lol, and they’re not for everyone, everywhere, but in the right application, they are amazing. I figure most, or even all of the guys that are so negative have never even driven one. A lot of the objections to EV’s come from people that feel we are being forced to adopt them. Unfortunately, we are and that is the absolute truth and the objective of one political party. The truth is, they are hurting their own cause. They would be better off if they’d just give the market time to accept them, instead of ramming them down us. But that doesn’t negate the fact that like our power tools, battery driven vehicles do work really well for commuting or road trips. There’s not much to maintain. Running A/C, I haven’t been able to perceive a difference. I’m telling you guys, (from my EXPERIENCE), they can work really well. And yes, I’ll take that Tesla, and race anything you drive. It will accelerate faster than I can safely handle it. It does make it nice for pulling out into traffic. I don’t need a very big opening to get into a lane, and the technology is really cool. That Tesla self driving navigates construction zones and heavy traffic flawlessly. It’s the craziest thing. But I hope that common sense prevails in politics and they just let the free market decide. From what I’ve seen, the majority of the market will choose electric as time goes by and it’s nothing to be afraid of because it will work really well in the vast majority of cases.

Re: Electric cars. Riddle me this. [Re: Flicker Shad] #7676300
09/21/22 09:16 PM
09/21/22 09:16 PM
pa
H
hippie Offline
trapper
hippie  Offline
trapper
H

pa
I won't claim they don't fit some peoples style, but as you noted the gov't shouldn't push them for several reasons.
First on my list of reasons is we don't have near the infrastructure to support widespread use. That, followed closely by, there isn't near the material available to build enough.

Rare earth metals used to make the batteries and the electric motors in them are called "rare" for a reason.

Re: Electric cars. Riddle me this. [Re: Flicker Shad] #7676305
09/21/22 09:20 PM
09/21/22 09:20 PM
Rodney,Ohio
SNIPERBBB Online happy
trapper
SNIPERBBB  Online Happy
trapper

Rodney,Ohio
New f150 4wd MSRP is 46625 cheapest f150 lighting is over 48

Re: Electric cars. Riddle me this. [Re: Flicker Shad] #7676307
09/21/22 09:21 PM
09/21/22 09:21 PM
Indiana
P
Providence Farm Online content
trapper
Providence Farm  Online Content
trapper
P

Indiana
They also dont see the future increase in power prices with increas demand. Didn't we just haveva thread on that.
For me they don't have enough range and take to long to charge.. then add in winter and batteries and batteries going bad. Just not for me.

Last edited by Providence Farm; 09/21/22 09:24 PM.
Re: Electric cars. Riddle me this. [Re: Flicker Shad] #7676328
09/21/22 09:43 PM
09/21/22 09:43 PM
Virginia
52Carl Offline
trapper
52Carl  Offline
trapper

Virginia
We are being ruled by retards. I am not talking about the mentally challenged folks which I have volunteered to help in the past. I am talking about people who should know better but don't.

Re: Electric cars. Riddle me this. [Re: 52Carl] #7676331
09/21/22 09:44 PM
09/21/22 09:44 PM
Indiana
P
trapper
trapper
P

Indiana
Originally Posted by 52Carl
We are being ruled by retards. I am not talking about the mentally challenged folks which I have volunteered to help in the past. I am talking about people who should know better but don't.

They know it's about power, control. And money nothing more

Re: Electric cars. Riddle me this. [Re: HobbieTrapper] #7676347
09/21/22 09:54 PM
09/21/22 09:54 PM
Beatrice, NE
L
loosegoose Offline
trapper
loosegoose  Offline
trapper
L

Beatrice, NE
Originally Posted by HobbieTrapper
Can you tinker with an EV and make it a hot rod?

Argument over.

Yes, actually, you can. The power is ramped in, so that you're not getting the full power to the motor right away when you stomp the pedal. They can be changed through programming. Also, the motors are usually rated for more than they being provided by the invertor, which, again, can be changed with programming.

Re: Electric cars. Riddle me this. [Re: Providence Farm] #7676358
09/21/22 10:11 PM
09/21/22 10:11 PM
Duluth, MN
C
Clark Offline
trapper
Clark  Offline
trapper
C

Duluth, MN
Originally Posted by Providence Farm
They also dont see the future increase in power prices with increas demand. Didn't we just haveva thread on that…

How is that any different then the price increases in gas over the past two years or back in 2007-ish? I don’t get how we would be worse off with an electric vehicle in the face of rising energy prices. After all, can’t you produce your own electricity? How about distill your own gas? This whole “make us dependent on electricity then drive the prices up” argument is the full of so much hot air I can’t imagine anyone making it.

Common sense is the collection of prejudices acquired by age eighteen. -Albert Einstein
Re: Electric cars. Riddle me this. [Re: Clark] #7676374
09/21/22 10:26 PM
09/21/22 10:26 PM
Indiana
P
trapper
trapper
P

Indiana
Originally Posted by Clark
They also dont see the future increase in power prices with increas demand. Didn't we just haveva thread on that…

How is that any different then the price increases in gas over the past two years or back in 2007-ish? I don’t get how we would be worse off with an electric vehicle in the face of rising energy prices. After all, can’t you produce your own electricity? How about distill your own gas? This whole “make us dependent on electricity then drive the prices up” argument is the full of so much hot air I can’t imagine anyone making it.

I can make alcohol and make a gas motor run off of it. And if the democrats were not doing all they could to raise gas prices (just wait tell after the mid terms) to push people to electric cars Gass would be under 2 dollars.a.gallon. Also the grid can't handel.the increase in demand and at the same time they want to close the reliable coal plants. Be blind if you chose but loos freedom of movement and you have no freedom . 300 miles in the best conditions is not freedom of movement.

Re: Electric cars. Riddle me this. [Re: Providence Farm] #7676538
09/22/22 07:32 AM
09/22/22 07:32 AM
Duluth, MN
C
Clark Offline
trapper
Clark  Offline
trapper
C

Duluth, MN
I can make alcohol and make a gas motor run off of it. And if the democrats were not doing all they could to raise gas prices (just wait tell after the mid terms) to push people to electric cars Gass would be under 2 dollars.a.gallon. Also the grid can't handel.the increase in demand and at the same time they want to close the reliable coal plants. Be blind if you chose but loos freedom of movement and you have no freedom . 300 miles in the best conditions is not freedom of movement.

Instead of saying the grid can’t handle the increased load this guy did some calculations. Maybe you should consider his opinion if you want to see all sides of the issue:

https://youtu.be/7dfyG6FXsUU

No one is forcing coal plants to shut down. The market has found a cheaper supply (natural gas) which makes coal plants too expensive. It’s all about your beloved market that you wish would handle the situation. Don’t you even follow that or would you prefer to blame (although that is the wrong word, there is no “responsibility” in this case for shutting down coal plants, it’s simply a result of market conditions…therefore how can you blame someone?) the other party in Washington for everything you find near and dear?

Also, I’ll remember that freedom starts at 301 miles of range. I completely forgot about that clause in the Bill of Rights.

Common sense is the collection of prejudices acquired by age eighteen. -Albert Einstein
Re: Electric cars. Riddle me this. [Re: Flicker Shad] #7682018
09/29/22 10:38 PM
09/29/22 10:38 PM
Wheaton Ks
L
lee steinmeyer Offline
trapper
lee steinmeyer  Offline
trapper
L

Wheaton Ks
But…but..who is John Gult. Everyone always asks that!

YOU CAN IGNORE REALITY, BUT YOU CANNOT IGNORE THE CONSEQUENCES OF IGNORING REALITY.

http://www.lptraplinesupply.com
Re: Electric cars. Riddle me this. [Re: SNIPERBBB] #7682058
09/29/22 11:14 PM
09/29/22 11:14 PM
Louisiana
M
MattLA Offline
trapper
MattLA  Offline
trapper
M

Louisiana
Originally Posted by SNIPERB🦝
Did you buy new or used? Most EV's have a 15-20k premium over their gas version.

You can only buy a F150 Lightning new by invite only, although maybe somebody could buy one used now. The prices listed are literally the build prices, only the Lightning is sold with no markup in most cases. The truck market has been off the hook, you still cannot get trucks in great numbers in Louisiana.

Literally not an issue with needing to hotrod it, it will beat 99% of vehicles stock. Also for you guys who dont know, brakes are a non issue for EVs. The reason is the electric motors use regen braking to slow down the vehicle, dramatically reducing the actual wear on brakes. The truck is true 4WD, you can do everything mentioned to it as well. If you want a 6" lift, 37s, you can do it no problem. It really is just like a normal F150, except better. It only costs me $1 to go hunting per day, vs 12 or 13 with my gas or diesel trucks.

@Providence. 100% if everybody switched to EVs tomorrow, yes energy prices would rise because oil companies arent just gonna lose out on money. I also think our grid is more than capable of supporting greater EV adoption, but some of the points about winter and charging are spot on in my opinion. The batteries going bad is not something you have to worry about for 10 years, very much like worrying about a new engine going bad. I get 250 miles of range and even more if I try harder, this is all with just the standard range battery, the extended battery would be 330 miles no problem.

Re: Electric cars. Riddle me this. [Re: Clark] #7682069
09/29/22 11:24 PM
09/29/22 11:24 PM
Indiana
P
trapper
trapper
P

Indiana

Instead of saying the grid can’t handle the increased load this guy did some calculations. Maybe you should consider his opinion if you want to see all sides of the issue:

No one is forcing coal plants to shut down. The market has found a cheaper supply (natural gas) which makes coal plants too expensive. It’s all about your beloved market that you wish would handle the situation. Don’t you even follow that or would you prefer to blame (although that is the wrong word, there is no “responsibility” in this case for shutting down coal plants, it’s simply a result of market conditions…therefore how can you blame someone?) the other party in Washington for everything you find near and dear?

Also, I’ll remember that freedom starts at 301 miles of range. I completely forgot about that clause in the Bill of Rights.

Your reading comp could use some work. Have you not even seen Obama and crew for years spouting off about closing coal plants? Adding more regs to increase cost? Do you think the increase in gas price is natural?

You may be happy with a 300 mile range but I'm not. I like the freedom to drive that 300 miles anywhere I want and fill up in 5 min and do it again. Better yet do it pulling a 15k trailer.

No electric vehicle mad can meet my needs. They don't have the longevity and will not last.

If the grid cab Handel it so well why is California asking people not to charge their cars.

Coal is not to expensive. The increase in government regulations is the problem.
But I an probably wasting my time even responding to someone so uninformed or willfully ingorant that believes coal is getting shut down becuse there are better cheaper options.

Re: Electric cars. Riddle me this. [Re: Flicker Shad] #7682116
09/30/22 12:28 AM
09/30/22 12:28 AM
east central WI
D
Dirty D Offline
trapper
Dirty D  Offline
trapper
D

east central WI

Scotlands EV fiasco

not as easy as one would think going to EV's.
Just show the stupidity of elected officals, those who are pushing the EV market.

Re: Electric cars. Riddle me this. [Re: Flicker Shad] #7682397
09/30/22 01:13 PM
09/30/22 01:13 PM
Aliceville, Kansas 43
Yukon John Offline
trapper
Yukon John  Offline
trapper

Aliceville, Kansas 43
The California argument has nothing to do with evs. Their problem is with their "green" elec production.

Act like a blank, get treated like a blank. Insert your own blank!
Re: Electric cars. Riddle me this. [Re: Flicker Shad] #7682400
09/30/22 01:18 PM
09/30/22 01:18 PM
Sandhills Nebraska
G
Gary Benson Offline
trapper
Gary Benson  Offline
trapper
G

Sandhills Nebraska
[Linked Image]