No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Re: Electric cars. Riddle me this. [Re: MattLA] #7682460
09/30/22 02:23 PM
09/30/22 02:23 PM
Hancock Co., Indiana
Kart29 Offline
trapper
Kart29  Offline
trapper

Hancock Co., Indiana
Originally Posted by Tofan
The batteries going bad is not something you have to worry about for 10 years, very much like worrying about a new engine going bad

I would disagree with you there. Based on my recent experience with gasoline powered engines and modern rechargable batteries, the chance are that my gasoline engine is still going to be running like new in 15 to 20 years. The electric vehicle batteries are likely to be inoperable and worthless (or even a liability due to disposal costs) in 10 years. If a ten-year-old gasoline engine fails (unlikely), you can replace it with a used engine for a couple thousand dollars. Battery replacements for an EV (almost a certainty) are $15,000 - $25,000 from what I've read.

You need to consider the resale value of an electric vehicle in your overall cost of ownership. I think the resale on five-year-old, used EV is going to be very poor. If you are someone who trades in for a new car every two years, buying a new electric car might work out fine. But if you are like me and you keep a car as long as you can possibly make it last, I suspect an electric vehicle is going to be very costly in comparison to a gas/diesel engine!

Plus, I think the current price of a new electric vehicle is heavily subsidized by the government (can someone confirm?). If those cars were selling for a free market price, the numbers would look far worse.

Last edited by Kart29; 09/30/22 02:28 PM.

What from Christ that soul can sever,
Bound by everlasting bands?
None shall take thee
From the Strength of Israel's hands.

Re: Electric cars. Riddle me this. [Re: Flicker Shad] #7682488
09/30/22 03:04 PM
09/30/22 03:04 PM
east central WI
D
Dirty D Offline
trapper
Dirty D  Offline
trapper
D

east central WI
"The batteries going bad is not something you have to worry about for 10 years, very much like worrying about a new engine going bad."

I don't know where you get the idea that a engine goes bad in 10 years. I have been driving for approx 5 decades, In all the cars I have owned (over 3 dozen easily) I have never had an engine go bad and I usually drive my stuff till they drop. Usually its the body/suspension that goes especially here in the land of salty winters.

My current daily driver is an '06, my wife's is a '06 minvan. I have 171K on mine she has about 140K on hers. So they are 17 years old and both have no issues.
I'd bet they are good for 20-25 years easily.

If batteries go bad approx 10 years or so I have gotten twice the lifetime based on a engine over a battery.

It'll be interesting to see how long a EV will last before the batteries go on them. There are gas vehicles out there that are over 30 years old and over a million miles on them. I know its not typical situation but on thing for sure an EV will never go that long in both miles and time before the battery goes out.

how about a '66 volvo with over 3 million miles, think your EV will go for 55 years and over 3 million miles?

https://www.hotcars.com/15-cars-with-the-highest-mileage-ever-recorded/

Re: Electric cars. Riddle me this. [Re: Yukon John] #7682512
09/30/22 04:00 PM
09/30/22 04:00 PM
Indiana
P
Providence Farm Offline
trapper
Providence Farm  Offline
trapper
P

Indiana
Originally Posted by Yukon John
The California argument has nothing to do with evs. Their problem is with their "green" elec production.

Keep telling yourself that. They cripples thir grid relying on wind and solar then even use more of the reduced amount of juice left. I'm sure there is nothing to do with each other.
The same people pushing the evs are the same living in dream land that wind and solar can meet the demand in a reliable fashion.

They are directly linked in poor planing and policy.

Re: Electric cars. Riddle me this. [Re: Flicker Shad] #7682515
09/30/22 04:02 PM
09/30/22 04:02 PM
Tennessee
Scuba1 Offline
"color blind Kraut"
Scuba1  Offline
"color blind Kraut"

Tennessee
I'll never have an electric truck because it will not work for me. My commute to work once a month is 489 miles door to door sometimes towing a boat on a trailer. Living out here in the sticks, power outages are a regular thing. My diesel truck has 175 000 miles on it and I would bet that it will outlive any ev that is bought today and then some. The only reason for me to plug that thing in would be in a really cold winter for the block heater.

Let's go Brandon

"Shall not comply" with morons who don't understand "shall not infringe."
Re: Electric cars. Riddle me this. [Re: Kart29] #7682523
09/30/22 04:35 PM
09/30/22 04:35 PM
Sandhills Nebraska
G
Gary Benson Offline
trapper
Gary Benson  Offline
trapper
G

Sandhills Nebraska
Originally Posted by Kart29
The batteries going bad is not something you have to worry about for 10 years, very much like worrying about a new engine going bad

I would disagree with you there. Based on my recent experience with gasoline powered engines and modern rechargable batteries, the chance are that my gasoline engine is still going to be running like new in 15 to 20 years. The electric vehicle batteries are likely to be inoperable and worthless (or even a liability due to disposal costs) in 10 years. If a ten-year-old gasoline engine fails (unlikely), you can replace it with a used engine for a couple thousand dollars. Battery replacements for an EV (almost a certainty) are $15,000 - $25,000 from what I've read.

You need to consider the resale value of an electric vehicle in your overall cost of ownership. I think the resale on five-year-old, used EV is going to be very poor. If you are someone who trades in for a new car every two years, buying a new electric car might work out fine. But if you are like me and you keep a car as long as you can possibly make it last, I suspect an electric vehicle is going to be very costly in comparison to a gas/diesel engine!

Plus, I think the current price of a new electric vehicle is heavily subsidized by the government (can someone confirm?). If those cars were selling for a free market price, the numbers would look far worse.

A couple thousand won't touch a used engine. My 2015 Silverado is in the shop now getting the transmission rebuilt. I was quoted a price of $4100. An engine would be closer to $10,000

Last edited by Gary Benson; 09/30/22 04:36 PM.

Life ain't supposed to be easy.
Re: Electric cars. Riddle me this. [Re: Flicker Shad] #7682579
09/30/22 06:47 PM
09/30/22 06:47 PM
Tug Hill, NY
S
Squash Offline
trapper
Squash  Offline
trapper
S

Tug Hill, NY
Just wondering how anyone in central FL is charging their EV now ?

Re: Electric cars. Riddle me this. [Re: Squash] #7682588
09/30/22 07:16 PM
09/30/22 07:16 PM
Eastern W by God V
Crowfoot Offline
trapper
Crowfoot  Offline
trapper

Eastern W by God V
Originally Posted by Squash

Nobody down there needs one right now. frown

Re: Electric cars. Riddle me this. [Re: Squash] #7682602
09/30/22 07:40 PM
09/30/22 07:40 PM
Tennessee
Scuba1 Offline
"color blind Kraut"
Scuba1  Offline
"color blind Kraut"

Tennessee

High voltage charging stations ... knee deep in water .... what could possibly go wrong.

The toaster in the bathtub comes to mind somehow.

Let's go Brandon

"Shall not comply" with morons who don't understand "shall not infringe."
Re: Electric cars. Riddle me this. [Re: Kart29] #7682613
09/30/22 07:52 PM
09/30/22 07:52 PM
MN
W
walleye101 Offline
trapper
walleye101  Offline
trapper
W

MN
Originally Posted by Kart29

My concern about EV is that rechargable batteries I'm familiar with don't just fail after a certain amount of time. They tend to gradually loose recharge capacity every time charged. I'd worry far more about owning an EV with half capacity at 5 years than one flat out failing at 10 years. What do you do with a vehicle or battery that is not shot, but now only has 150 mile range when it used to have 300?

Re: Electric cars. Riddle me this. [Re: Squash] #7682618
09/30/22 07:58 PM
09/30/22 07:58 PM
Montana/Florida
G
Gene Dziza Offline
trapper
Gene Dziza  Offline
trapper
G

Montana/Florida

Where I am in Florida, in the Ocala area, everyone ran out of gas, but we never lost electricity. Seriously, the drivers bought all the stations out and the fuel trucks weren’t running understandably. I get what you’re saying, but what I learned about hurricanes is there is no gas. I don’t know how many cans you want to fill. We had a friend that couldn’t get out of Tampa because she couldn’t find gas. This was the night before the storm even hit. When you lose power for a week though, I guess you don’t have gas or a battery. I wonder if you can get a whole house generator to charge a vehicle.

Re: Electric cars. Riddle me this. [Re: Gene Dziza] #7682627
09/30/22 08:04 PM
09/30/22 08:04 PM
MN
W
walleye101 Offline
trapper
walleye101  Offline
trapper
W

MN
Originally Posted by Gene Dziza

Where I am in Florida, in the Ocala area, everyone ran out of gas, but we never lost electricity. Seriously, the drivers bought all the stations out and the fuel trucks weren’t running understandably. I get what you’re saying, but what I learned about hurricanes is there is no gas. I don’t know how many cans you want to fill. We had a friend that couldn’t get out of Tampa because she couldn’t find gas. This was the night before the storm even hit. When you lose power for a week though, I guess you don’t have gas or a battery. I wonder if you can get a whole house generator to charge a vehicle.

Doubt you can without gas.

Re: Electric cars. Riddle me this. [Re: Flicker Shad] #7682629
09/30/22 08:05 PM
09/30/22 08:05 PM
Indiana
P
Providence Farm Offline
trapper
Providence Farm  Offline
trapper
P

Indiana
Gary I guess it depend on the motor you are buying. I had a Jasper rebuilt put in my 97 ranger for $3400 a year ago. That's a 100,000 or 3 year warranty.

Sure makes those ev batteries not look appealing to me.

Re: Electric cars. Riddle me this. [Re: walleye101] #7682630
09/30/22 08:07 PM
09/30/22 08:07 PM
Montana/Florida
G
Gene Dziza Offline
trapper
Gene Dziza  Offline
trapper
G

Montana/Florida
The whole house generators are propane. You have to bury a tank for it. It takes a lot of
Power to charge those batteries though.

Re: Electric cars. Riddle me this. [Re: Gene Dziza] #7682639
09/30/22 08:16 PM
09/30/22 08:16 PM
Indiana
P
Providence Farm Offline
trapper
Providence Farm  Offline
trapper
P

Indiana
The whole house generators are propane. You have to bury a tank for it. It takes a lot of

Our propain tanks are above ground. I guess in a hurricane area with flooding and wind burning may be a good idea. But if it's that bad I would think power would be the least of your problems.

You will only get about a week and half to two weeks max on a full 500 gal and 10kw Generator.

Re: Electric cars. Riddle me this. [Re: Providence Farm] #7682741
09/30/22 09:39 PM
09/30/22 09:39 PM
Montana/Florida
G
Gene Dziza Offline
trapper
Gene Dziza  Offline
trapper
G

Montana/Florida
Originally Posted by Providence Farm

Our propain tanks are above ground. I guess in a hurricane area with flooding and wind burning may be a good idea. But if it's that bad I would think power would be the least of your problems.

You will only get about a week and half to two weeks max on a full 500 gal and 10kw Generator.

Good to know. Man, that’s a lot of propane! Where our place is, I think it’s rare to get much damage, we’re so far inland, but the loss of power can be a real thing. We got nothing out of Ian. It got a little windy, 45 mph, but it hardly rained. I’m told they require tanks to be buried here.

Re: Electric cars. Riddle me this. [Re: Flicker Shad] #7682864
10/01/22 02:50 AM
10/01/22 02:50 AM
MT
O
oilwell Offline
trapper
oilwell  Offline
trapper
O

MT
In my mind it doesn't matter how you charge your battery or what type of vehicle you are driving. if you take fossil fuels out of the equation and eliminate all of the parts that are made from oil or the energy to create the parts you won't have much of a car left.

Re: Electric cars. Riddle me this. [Re: Gary Benson] #7684391
10/03/22 11:34 AM
10/03/22 11:34 AM
Hancock Co., Indiana
Kart29 Offline
trapper
Kart29  Offline
trapper

Hancock Co., Indiana
Originally Posted by Gary Benson

A couple thousand won't touch a used engine. My 2015 Silverado is in the shop now getting the transmission rebuilt. I was quoted a price of $4100. An engine would be closer to $10,000

I bought a used 4-banger for my PT cruiser for $600.

What from Christ that soul can sever,
Bound by everlasting bands?
None shall take thee
From the Strength of Israel's hands.

Re: Electric cars. Riddle me this. [Re: Gene Dziza] #7684434
10/03/22 12:21 PM
10/03/22 12:21 PM
Armpit, ak
D
Dirt Offline
trapper
Dirt  Offline
trapper
D

Armpit, ak

Well a 6kw generator should be able to handle level one charging. Depending on house load, you might be able to use level 2 if you dial it down to 3kw and run the house.

Who is John Galt?
Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread