No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: How much money do you [Re: DelawareRob] #7695301
10/18/22 08:32 PM
10/18/22 08:32 PM
Green County Wisconsin
G
GREENCOUNTYPETE Online content
trapper
GREENCOUNTYPETE  Online Content
trapper
G

Green County Wisconsin
Originally Posted by DelawareRob
Originally Posted by GREENCOUNTYPETE
I am a happy guy if covering the bills and taxes and a few hundred a month for fun

lately the grocery , utility and fuel bill is eating all the fun money

You ain’t lying. I can’t seem to leave a grocery store without dropping a few hundred and another $100 at the gas station.

running about 325-350 a week in groceries and gas is about another hundred.

with $$$ in groceries like that you would think I was eating steak all the time but Still feeding 4 of us sometimes 5 and that grocery bill includes personal care items like soap , toothpaste , shampoo and cleaning stuff.

last steaks I bought that weren't in the discount meat cooler the stuff that is freeze or use same day was new years nearly all our beef is Salvage cow butchered 2 this year

but bills paid , gas for the boat , bullets for the guns and time to hunt fish and trap and maybe take the wife out to a concert or two a year

America only has one issue, we have a Responsibility crisis and everything else stems from it.
Re: How much money do you [Re: cathryn] #7695303
10/18/22 08:35 PM
10/18/22 08:35 PM
East of the Mason-Dixon Line
DelawareRob Offline
trapper
DelawareRob  Offline
trapper

East of the Mason-Dixon Line
Exactly Pete, we don’t buy eggs and most of the meat we eat. It’s nonsense at this point. I don’t know how the folks who are trying to make ends meet living paycheck to pay check do it! The ones not getting free food stamps that is.

Who is John Galt?

You don't rise to the occasion, you fall to the level of your training.

Semper Paratus
Re: How much money do you [Re: cathryn] #7695881
10/19/22 01:46 PM
10/19/22 01:46 PM
West Virginia,age 49
cathryn Offline OP
bvr-takr-upr
cathryn  Offline OP
bvr-takr-upr

West Virginia,age 49
Yall are right..it depends on how may are in your family and how many frills you need to be happy.

IF IDIOTS GREW ON TREES THIS PLACE WOULD BE AN ORCHARD !

Re: How much money do you [Re: cathryn] #7695883
10/19/22 01:50 PM
10/19/22 01:50 PM
NC - Here there and everywhere
C
coondagger2 Offline
"Brat"
coondagger2  Offline
"Brat"
C

NC - Here there and everywhere
I am closing on land next Monday, getting married next October, breaking ground on a house around January (hopefully)

I could spend as much money as you would give me at this stage in life, lol

Gotta live up to the nickname...
Re: How much money do you [Re: cathryn] #7695892
10/19/22 01:57 PM
10/19/22 01:57 PM
W NY
Turtledale Offline
trapper
Turtledale  Offline
trapper

W NY
Me and the Mrs don't need much money at all. Just enough to pay the bills. We eat a lot of the land and don't live a "frilly" lifestyle. We've never had a lot so we're use to making do by ourselves. As far as entertainment, we got that covered too wink

NYSTA, NTA, FTA, life member Erie county trappers assn.,life member Catt.county trappers
Re: How much money do you [Re: gcs] #7695905
10/19/22 02:36 PM
10/19/22 02:36 PM
Lufkin, Tx.
L
Lufkin Trapper Offline
trapper
Lufkin Trapper  Offline
trapper
L

Lufkin, Tx.
Originally Posted by gcs
Depends where you live, "here," a lot more then you'd think...

Speaking of depends----has anyone priced those lately>

Billy
Member # 16.
Re: How much money do you [Re: cathryn] #7695910
10/19/22 02:42 PM
10/19/22 02:42 PM
Montana
B
beartooth trapr Offline
trapper
beartooth trapr  Offline
trapper
B

Montana
I could get by with way less, but I like my toy's.
Yes traps too lol.
When debt free probably $20-25,000

Let me sugar coat this
Re: How much money do you [Re: cathryn] #7695916
10/19/22 02:53 PM
10/19/22 02:53 PM
james bay frontierOnt.
B
Boco Offline
trapper
Boco  Offline
trapper
B

james bay frontierOnt.
It mainly depends on where you live.
Where I am I can enjoy my lifestyle with all the toys and it costs very little to do so.
Fancy restaurants and big stores require a half hour or an hour travel,but the money I save living in a small town way more than covers trips out of town for that stuff.
Dont even have a Tim Hortons here,but I drive a half hour once a week for a Timmies.One of My traplines is half way,so not too far out of the way when I travel to that line.

Forget that fear of gravity-get a little savagery in your life.
Re: How much money do you [Re: cathryn] #7695930
10/19/22 03:25 PM
10/19/22 03:25 PM
NW Mo
M
Michael Lippold Offline
trapper
Michael Lippold  Offline
trapper
M

NW Mo
I would guess with where we are in life right now it would be about 75k, which is more than I make but so far the farm is making up the difference and paying the farms bills. Before we bought the farm we were 100 percent debt free and my 45-50k income kept us living comfortably

Re: How much money do you [Re: cathryn] #7695934
10/19/22 03:29 PM
10/19/22 03:29 PM
Northern MN
A
atrapper Offline
trapper
atrapper  Offline
trapper
A

Northern MN
I'd say there are many factors....kids, where you live, what stage of life you're in, and your standard of living. There's not a set number. At this point in life, I've got to be making more than any other point in life because I'm raising kids, driving to and from work each day, investing a lot into 403B's, 529's, HSA's, etc. in preparation to retire earlier in life. As I near closer to retirement or during retirement, I won't need much. And what I do need will be coming my way in the form of pension, 403B investments and maybe, just maybe Social Security.

Re: How much money do you [Re: cathryn] #7696214
10/19/22 09:27 PM
10/19/22 09:27 PM
Moved to Fbks, Ak.
M
martentrapper Offline
trapper
martentrapper  Offline
trapper
M

Moved to Fbks, Ak.
Cathryn, since I'm a former, and hopefully future, martentrapper, I'm curious about Jerrys marten trips. Since this thread is about income I'm asking about income from marten trapping. I'm sure you'll use MYOB where necessary. With expenses of 3 bucks a gal. for gas, the cost of the trip to Wy. And back, food, misc. etc. etc. and then the sale price of his fur, marten and other species, can you provide a ballpark figure of his expected profit.
I just happen to have a bunch of plastic milk jugs I will be putting to work in a similar fashion thanks to your pics!

Re: How much money do you [Re: cathryn] #7696882
10/20/22 08:23 PM
10/20/22 08:23 PM
West Virginia,age 49
cathryn Offline OP
bvr-takr-upr
cathryn  Offline OP
bvr-takr-upr

West Virginia,age 49
He figures on clearing 2,000 to 3000 after expenses..

Possible 4000 if his catch picks up

It usually a little more but since he's not working out there anymore he can't defer the fuel cost out and back so that's adding about 700.00 in extra expenses this year that he usually doesnt have.

That's including all fur he's caught..not just the marten.

He's trapping all species..

I'm just mostly posting marten pics.

IF IDIOTS GREW ON TREES THIS PLACE WOULD BE AN ORCHARD !

Re: How much money do you [Re: cathryn] #7696911
10/20/22 08:54 PM
10/20/22 08:54 PM
SW Georgia
W
Wanna Be Offline
trapper
Wanna Be  Offline
trapper
W

SW Georgia
Originally Posted by cathryn
Yall are right..it depends on how may are in your family and how many frills you need to be happy.

I like lots of frills, guess I need lots of money. Plan on retiring when I can bring home about $80K a year until I die or turn 99…depends on what comes first.
Everything will be paid off and the house like I like it before I turn 60. I’ll even have me a NEW truck. Still driving a 2000 model. I like my out of State and even Country turkey trips and the wife likes her cruises, already been roped into one next Christmas, lol. I don’t plan to stop living just because I retire one day.
I like my life. I like buying something when I want it. I work hard for my money and even trap so I don’t touch my hard earned money. I like flying first class when I fly. I don’t mind paying for expensive guns, traps, fishing rods and reels, food, or fun because it lasts longer than cheap crap.
I live in a modest house and we drive modest vehicles so we and our kids can enjoy a fun filled life and not have to worry about gas prices or anything else when inflation gets sky high.
Think if most would just live within their means they could do a lot more. I’ve always been the type of you want something you work and save for it. What I’ve found is when you save and keep cash on hand it’s a lot harder to part with it, so you keep saving and keep adding more cash. Cash is good to have, lol.

Re: How much money do you [Re: cathryn] #7697063
10/21/22 12:09 AM
10/21/22 12:09 AM
Southern Virginia, 50 yr old
V
VaBeagler Offline
trapper
VaBeagler  Offline
trapper
V

Southern Virginia, 50 yr old
You will get a different answer between my wife and I. Everything we have is paid for. I don't need anything that I already don't have. My wife orders so much stuff from Amazon that the UPS driver is partioning for a stop light at the end of our driveway.

Re: How much money do you [Re: cathryn] #7697108
10/21/22 04:45 AM
10/21/22 04:45 AM

M
Mark June
Unregistered
Mark June
Unregistered
M

Have to make a year to live what... you consider to be comfortably?

I know as a pastor of those who deal with grave situations towards the end of their lives, that the economy and people's lifestyles have led to a massive endemic of impoverished older Americans who can't afford most things they wish for at the end of their lives. And it's ramping up in this direction exponentially. I have a lady right now, whom I'm supporting whose in hospice care, who worked at the big 3 auto plants (so did her deceased husband), and who retired 18 years ago, who now can't afford much of anything at all. Sad.

I'm sitting among people like this more and more it seems.

I don't know how much annual income it takes to live in a comfortable manner because comfortable is a generic term.
I have come to realize that how we value money speaks the loudest.
Some make a little and have a lot.
Some make a lot and have very little.

And that includes money.

Blessings,
Mark

Re: How much money do you [Re: ] #7697121
10/21/22 05:19 AM
10/21/22 05:19 AM
Northern lower Michigan
Feedinggrounds Offline
trapper
Feedinggrounds  Offline
trapper

Northern lower Michigan
Originally Posted by Mark June
Have to make a year to live what... you consider to be comfortably?

I know as a pastor of those who deal with grave situations towards the end of their lives, that the economy and people's lifestyles have led to a massive endemic of impoverished older Americans who can't afford most things they wish for at the end of their lives. And it's ramping up in this direction exponentially. I have a lady right now, whom I'm supporting whose in hospice care, who worked at the big 3 auto plants (so did her deceased husband), and who retired 18 years ago, who now can't afford much of anything at all. Sad.

I'm sitting among people like this more and more it seems.

I don't know how much annual income it takes to live in a comfortable manner because comfortable is a generic term.
I have come to realize that how we value money speaks the loudest.
Some make a little and have a lot.
Some make a lot and have very little.

And that includes money.

Blessings,
Mark

Mark, I had a profound moment a couple days ago. Let me paint this picture as I know your're familiar with my area now. When coming into West Branch, you pass the car dealers and St.Vincent DePaul thrift store. Well I go to St. Vinnies several times a year for old blankets and coats for our barn cats to bed in at the Mill. I had to wait in checkout for a while, thrift store was crazy busy. While picking through the "Dog blanket pile" an older couple were also picking through the pile. Except they were not getting old blankets for dogs or cats, they were for themselves. Said if those blankets were good enough for dogs they were good enough for them. Blankets were $1.00 each, I filled my cart, paid. I then left $50.00 with cashier with intent to pay for old couples cart full of second hand stuff, any extra $$$ were to be given to old couple as change. Still, I have never seen a second hand thrift store so busy.....I made the connection in my head, and mumbled my best attempt at prayer for better times for all those folks, as I headed back to the Mill with my cat bedding.

you're only allowed so many sunrises... I aim to see every one of them!
Re: How much money do you [Re: cathryn] #7697137
10/21/22 06:01 AM
10/21/22 06:01 AM
williamsburg ks
D
danny clifton Offline
"Grumpy Old Man"
danny clifton  Offline
"Grumpy Old Man"
D

williamsburg ks
Ever had somebody who works for the same wages you do ask to borrow money? Often its the inability to manage the money we do have rather than insufficient income. I have a married relative with credit card trouble. Credit counseling has not helped much. They can not commit to step one which is stop spending.

Last edited by danny clifton; 10/21/22 06:01 AM.

Those who would give up essential liberty, to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790)
Re: How much money do you [Re: danny clifton] #7697140
10/21/22 06:03 AM
10/21/22 06:03 AM
Eastern Shore of Maryland
HobbieTrapper Offline
"Chippendale Trapper"
HobbieTrapper  Offline
"Chippendale Trapper"

Eastern Shore of Maryland
Originally Posted by danny clifton
Ever had somebody who works for the same wages you do ask to borrow money? Often its the inability to manage the money we do have rather than insufficient income. I have a married relative with credit card trouble. Credit counseling has not helped much. They can not commit to step one which is stop spending.

lol

-Goofy-
Re: How much money do you [Re: cathryn] #7697143
10/21/22 06:07 AM
10/21/22 06:07 AM

M
Mark June
Unregistered
Mark June
Unregistered
M

Good post Feedinggrounds. And well played, your humble assistance for the widows, orphans, and aliens among us.
As we all go about our days, there are indeed many people who aren't able to provide for themselves in ways we might consider "comfortable."

Have some made poor choices along the trail? Who hasn't.
Have some made some good choices along the trail? Who doesn't?

I'll comment that when it comes to the end of our trail, I've noticed most people think differently about the things that truly matter. Not everyone, but most do.
Now, the people around them are typically doing the things they typically do.
People who are straight up - are straighter up. People who are quiet - get more quiet. People who are louder - get loudest.
Quite fascinating, the things I learn, as I observe.
We'll all be there one day and until then...
slip a $50 at the St. Vinnie's or buy a vet a meal, or say hi when the person next to you a crab butthead.

You'll end your life with others around you, not as vultures, but as caring people who love you. Till the end.

It's not how you start, it's how you finish, right?

Blessings,
Mark

Re: How much money do you [Re: cathryn] #7697150
10/21/22 06:16 AM
10/21/22 06:16 AM
williamsburg ks
D
danny clifton Offline
"Grumpy Old Man"
danny clifton  Offline
"Grumpy Old Man"
D

williamsburg ks
with inflation the way it is, how do you pick a minimum income number? if you live another 20-30 years after retiring it is IMO impossible to predict how much will be needed.

Those who would give up essential liberty, to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790)
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread