No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Re: Businesses Closing Due To Lack of Workers [Re: Trapper7] #7708187
11/03/22 10:58 PM
11/03/22 10:58 PM
Winona MN
B
Birdman382 Offline
trapper
Birdman382  Offline
trapper
B

Winona MN
This free money has to stop.

Re: Businesses Closing Due To Lack of Workers [Re: Trapper7] #7708191
11/03/22 11:01 PM
11/03/22 11:01 PM
james bay frontierOnt.
B
Boco Offline
trapper
Boco  Offline
trapper
B

james bay frontierOnt.
If you have been at the same employer for 17 years you must have advanced within the company and have a good position?
It will be hard to start a new job on day one with the same benefits and remuneration you have built up over 17 years at the current position.

Forget that fear of gravity-get a little savagery in your life.
Re: Businesses Closing Due To Lack of Workers [Re: Trapper7] #7708194
11/03/22 11:03 PM
11/03/22 11:03 PM
MT
S
Slick Pan Offline
trapper
Slick Pan  Offline
trapper
S

MT
Some of it is just lack of bodies. When covid hit the older people retired and never returned to the workforce. Maybe some people do not want to work but a lot of those that were working cheaper labor jobs for example McDonalds found a better job. My sons opened a business 3 years ago at the beginning of covid. The business has done well and they have hired 7 employees and will hire a few more next year. They have not lost 1 employee to someone leaving. They hired the right people and treat their employees well.

Re: Businesses Closing Due To Lack of Workers [Re: Trapper7] #7708197
11/03/22 11:06 PM
11/03/22 11:06 PM
james bay frontierOnt.
B
Boco Offline
trapper
Boco  Offline
trapper
B

james bay frontierOnt.
The gov't will most likely increase legal immigration to fill vacant jobs.
The rich fat cats will demand it.

Forget that fear of gravity-get a little savagery in your life.
Re: Businesses Closing Due To Lack of Workers [Re: Trapper7] #7708201
11/03/22 11:10 PM
11/03/22 11:10 PM
Southern Ohio
O
Ohiowoodchuck Offline
trapper
Ohiowoodchuck  Offline
trapper
O

Southern Ohio
Cant find qualified people for jobs is what management tells me when they try to hire someone. I guess them liberal arts degrees are really starting to pay off instead of going to vocational school like most did my age.

“If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my child may have peace.”
— Thomas Paine
Re: Businesses Closing Due To Lack of Workers [Re: Trapper7] #7708208
11/03/22 11:20 PM
11/03/22 11:20 PM
Louisiana
M
MattLA Offline
trapper
MattLA  Offline
trapper
M

Louisiana
@Catch22 Are you willing to pay to know how I did it? Capitalism is awesome.

Re: Businesses Closing Due To Lack of Workers [Re: Trapper7] #7708214
11/03/22 11:29 PM
11/03/22 11:29 PM
Champaign County, Ohio.
K
KeithC Offline
trapper
KeithC  Offline
trapper
K

Champaign County, Ohio.
The problem is that businesses are having to compete for employees with our government, who pays the parasites to stay home and do nothing.

Keith

Re: Businesses Closing Due To Lack of Workers [Re: MattLA] #7708218
11/03/22 11:37 PM
11/03/22 11:37 PM
Oakland, MS
yotetrapper30 Offline
trapper
yotetrapper30  Offline
trapper

Oakland, MS
Originally Posted by MattLA
I think its a combination of things, but for food workers to me the main issue is that just generally they dont charge enough. This includes fast food, sit in restaurants and the like, they all have been charging way too little for serving food.

How much would it take to get any of you to slave over a hot stove, oven, fryer and the works today? I bet most would refuse, but to me its one of the most under appreciated things in the USA. If they charged more, their workers could have been paid more for a long time.

The only thing I do know is that if you have a good employee, you better take care of them above and beyond and not try to just milk em dry.

As someone who's spent 20+ years in the food service industry, both as an associate and as management, I do not agree with you. Most of the companies I worked at were starting at more than minimum wage for employees that weren't worth $5 an hour.

If you can't make change for a dollar without calling a manager over every single time (despite managers trying to teach you the 2nd grade math), you probably don't deserve $12/hour.

If you're scheduled 5 six hour days a week, call in sick 2 days, show up late one, leave early another and complain you can't leave early the fifth, you probably don't deserve $12/hr.

If you whine to management daily about "not getting enough hours", but refuse to ever come in early, work late, or God forbid, come in on one of your numerous days off, you probably don't deserve $12/hr.

If you spend every minute that your manager is not in direct sight of you on TikTok and cannot get your simple duties done without constant urging from management, you probably don't deserve $12/hr.

If you are given two tasks taking less than half an hour to complete, and cannot manage to do so in an 8 hour shift, you probably don't deserve $12/hr.

Now I will say this... when I worked in the food service industry, most companies had 4-6 stellar employees out of 25 or so and YES I do believe those employees should be paid more, as it's those couple employees per shift that make the whole store run.

~~Proud Ultra MAGA~~
Re: Businesses Closing Due To Lack of Workers [Re: Trapper7] #7708219
11/03/22 11:41 PM
11/03/22 11:41 PM
SW Georgia
W
Wanna Be Offline
trapper
Wanna Be  Offline
trapper
W

SW Georgia
No one wants to stay at a job long enough to advance. It took me 22 years to be the senior man in my title and I just celebrated my 24th year with the company. Had plans to retire at 60 with 30 years, but with the new title I got a couple of years ago they may see me walking around with a walker, lol. The higher you go, the less physical work there is. Company vehicle, long commutes between jobs for my podcasts I listen to, only outside work now is waking into a business or out of and back to my vehicle. They’d have to make me a really good offer to leave.

Re: Businesses Closing Due To Lack of Workers [Re: yotetrapper30] #7708221
11/03/22 11:43 PM
New York border
Cragar Offline
trapper
Cragar  Offline
trapper

New York border
Originally Posted by yotetrapper30

As someone who's spent 20+ years in the food service industry, both as an associate and as management, I do not agree with you. Most of the companies I worked at were starting at more than minimum wage for employees that weren't worth $5 an hour.

If you can't make change for a dollar without calling a manager over every single time (despite managers trying to teach you the 2nd grade math), you probably don't deserve $12/hour.

If you're scheduled 5 six hour days a week, call in sick 2 days, show up late one, leave early another and complain you can't leave early the fifth, you probably don't deserve $12/hr.

If you whine to management daily about "not getting enough hours", but refuse to ever come in early, work late, or God forbid, come in on one of your numerous days off, you probably don't deserve $12/hr.

If you spend every minute that your manager is not in direct sight of you on TikTok and cannot get your simple duties done without constant urging from management, you probably don't deserve $12/hr.

If you are given two tasks taking less than half an hour to complete, and cannot manage to do so in an 8 hour shift, you probably don't deserve $12/hr.

Now I will say this... when I worked in the food service industry, most companies had 4-6 stellar employees out of 25 or so and YES I do believe those employees should be paid more, as it's those couple employees per shift that make the whole store run.

You totally nailed it.

NRA benefactor member
Re: Businesses Closing Due To Lack of Workers [Re: Wanna Be] #7708222
Oakland, MS
yotetrapper30 Offline
trapper
yotetrapper30  Offline
trapper

Oakland, MS
Originally Posted by Wanna Be
No one wants to stay at a job long enough to advance. It took me 22 years to be the senior man in my title and I just celebrated my 24th year with the company. Had plans to retire at 60 with 30 years, but with the new title I got a couple of years ago they may see me walking around with a walker, lol. The higher you go, the less physical work there is. Company vehicle, long commutes between jobs for my podcasts I listen to, only outside work now is waking into a business or out of and back to my vehicle. They’d have to make me a really good offer to leave.

That sounds awful.

~~Proud Ultra MAGA~~
Re: Businesses Closing Due To Lack of Workers [Re: Trapper7] #7708247
11/04/22 12:20 AM
11/04/22 12:20 AM
Jackson Co, KS
N
NEYotetrapper Offline
trapper
NEYotetrapper  Offline
trapper
N

Jackson Co, KS
Wendy's hamburger place closes to dining in at 6:30 on a Saturday night, only drive thru after 6:30. Subway sandwiches now expects $19 for a foot long, a bag of chips and a drink (I will just go eat a steak for a couple of dollars more). I am actually quite offended when people tell me that I work too hard. I would like to work harder than I do now, but the fact that nobody else around me can keep up with me or keep me supplied with things I need to accomplish more work limits me. My Grandpas would say if they were alive, I should be getting a lot more done in a day. When I see how little most people accomplish in a day and then feel like they have worked hard, I want to scream. The work ethic of many people today is absolutely pathetic.

Re: Businesses Closing Due To Lack of Workers [Re: MattLA] #7708315
11/04/22 07:18 AM
11/04/22 07:18 AM
east central WI
K
k snow Offline
trapper
k snow  Offline
trapper
K

east central WI
@Catch22 Are you willing to pay to know how I did it? Capitalism is awesome.

I'll remember that if you ever ask for help/advice here.

If you worked for the Fed and quit at 31 set for life, that wasn't capitalism, that was sucking off the taxpayer udder. If you made money in investing, you should probably write books and hold seminars, cause you must be a genius.

Re: Businesses Closing Due To Lack of Workers [Re: Trapper7] #7708323
11/04/22 07:34 AM
11/04/22 07:34 AM

M
Mark June
Unregistered
Mark June
Unregistered
M

And the people grumbled....
and grumbled...
and grumbled some more.
As the food came in free of charge.
And the route was mapped out for their prosperity.
Yet, still the people grumbled...
and grumbled...
and grumbled some more.

YET, a few made things happen.

I thought humans were getting bigger, stronger, faster, smarter, and leaving all those attributes nature doesn't prefer behind? Along the progressive trail?
Ah, nope.
Same old, same old.
The people are still mostly all grumblers
with a FEW making it happen.

Suit up do'ers! Make it happen!
We got this.

The grumblers?
Smile and wave. grin
Smile and wave.

Blessings,
Mark

Re: Businesses Closing Due To Lack of Workers [Re: Trapper7] #7708337
11/04/22 07:48 AM
11/04/22 07:48 AM
Armpit, ak
D
Dirt Offline
trapper
Dirt  Offline
trapper
D

Armpit, ak
It is not going to be a jobless recession like in '81.

Who is John Galt?
Re: Businesses Closing Due To Lack of Workers [Re: Trapper7] #7708341
11/04/22 07:52 AM
11/04/22 07:52 AM
Province of Ontario, Canada
H
Hunter 1 Offline
trapper
Hunter 1  Offline
trapper
H

Province of Ontario, Canada
We have the same issues here in Canada... good work ethics and human values are things of the past... I have no issues paying taxes to help people who truly need help but now things are out of control...abuse, abuse and more abuse...this is the new flavor of the day...people won't go find work because everything comes free.

Can`t even get a coffee in some places because they can not find workers...Just sick of it.

Re: Businesses Closing Due To Lack of Workers [Re: Trapper7] #7708344
11/04/22 08:00 AM
11/04/22 08:00 AM
Armpit, ak
D
Dirt Offline
trapper
Dirt  Offline
trapper
D

Armpit, ak
In the u.s a labor shortage is spun as record low unemployment.

Who is John Galt?
Re: Businesses Closing Due To Lack of Workers [Re: Marty] #7708348
11/04/22 08:10 AM
11/04/22 08:10 AM
SE SD
D
DWC Offline
trapper
DWC  Offline
trapper
D

SE SD
Originally Posted by Marty
food delivery drivers want 50% tips...

I laugh at restaurants like Pita Pit and Subway. They jacked prices up a solid 20 percent and now they ask for a tip when you pay with a card. Not a chance.

Re: Businesses Closing Due To Lack of Workers [Re: Trapper7] #7708354
11/04/22 08:20 AM
11/04/22 08:20 AM
SE SD
D
DWC Offline
trapper
DWC  Offline
trapper
D

SE SD
The solution is simple. Not enough people are getting vaccinated and everyones dying from covid. Not enough workers left. And now Walmart isnt open past 11. Thanks a lot anti-vaccers. Now, wear a mask.

Re: Businesses Closing Due To Lack of Workers [Re: yotetrapper30] #7708355
11/04/22 08:21 AM
11/04/22 08:21 AM
SE Kentucky
K
kytrapper Offline
trapper
kytrapper  Offline
trapper
K

SE Kentucky
Originally Posted by yotetrapper30
I think its a combination of things, but for food workers to me the main issue is that just generally they dont charge enough. This includes fast food, sit in restaurants and the like, they all have been charging way too little for serving food.

How much would it take to get any of you to slave over a hot stove, oven, fryer and the works today? I bet most would refuse, but to me its one of the most under appreciated things in the USA. If they charged more, their workers could have been paid more for a long time.

The only thing I do know is that if you have a good employee, you better take care of them above and beyond and not try to just milk em dry.

You sir are 100% correct even down to the Ultra Maga. This Covid reaction has killed the country. I’ve never seen so many completely worthless young people.

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread