Strictly Trapping

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Trading Post
(Please support F&T Trading Post, our sponsor for the Trapping Only Forum)

TrappersPost
Please support Trappers post, a sponsor of the Strictly Trapping Forum

Print Thread
Hop To
I’m Doing Something Wrong #7711862
11/08/22 01:34 AM
11/08/22 01:34 AM
PA
M
MartinPlayer Offline OP
trapper
MartinPlayer  Offline OP
trapper
M

PA
Started the season a week ago. So far I have a dozen canine traps set and half dozen dog proof coon traps. So far, one red fox and on coon. Despite having coyotes on every game camera, every night on my property for the last two weeks I haven’t had any success on them. I have my traps on sign, at places where I see them like clockwork. I do my best to leave as little human scent as possible, and yet nothing.

I’m setting dirt holes with a wad of raw sheep wool and some Cavens Hiawatha inside it, a spritz of coyote urine upwind and Cavens Gusto also.

Any ideas?

Re: I’m Doing Something Wrong [Re: MartinPlayer] #7711952
11/08/22 07:37 AM
11/08/22 07:37 AM
indiana
W
wamp Offline
trapper
wamp  Offline
trapper
W

indiana
How close is the camera to your set some times they spook them when they go off. Had a location couple years ago camera was set to close had several pictures of coyotes 10 yards away moved trap away from camera and caught them. Camera and traps were about ten feet apart at a crossing hole in fence that they were using

"Keep your traps free"
Re: I’m Doing Something Wrong [Re: MartinPlayer] #7711960
11/08/22 07:46 AM
11/08/22 07:46 AM

J
J Staton
Unregistered
J Staton
Unregistered
J

In my neck of the woods about every 5 to 10 days I'll experience a couple 2 or 3 days of coyote catching and then have to wait 5 to 10 days again. My hypothesis is I catch them on their territory travels which takes them 5 to 10 days to complete the circuit back to the ground I'm able to trap. Maybe they just haven't cycled back through. Of course I'm no expert coyote trapper.

Last edited by J Staton; 11/08/22 07:47 AM.
Re: I’m Doing Something Wrong [Re: MartinPlayer] #7711978
11/08/22 08:08 AM
11/08/22 08:08 AM
Firth, Nebraska
jabNE Offline
trapper
jabNE  Offline
trapper

Firth, Nebraska
I run 25 to 30 coyote traps on 12 farms and sometimes I connect right away and sometimes it’s a few days before I get first one. A dozen coyote traps over how much area? Be patient with coyotes. Have fun.
My experience with DPs and coon is they are not the end all coon trap you need a variety of sets, lots of locations and hit the hot spots. Have had them step right over DPs to end up in a 160 nearby.
I run about 2x as many coon as my coyote traps and the coon traps I do expect to see results overnight in certain areas. Mix of sets and baits or blind sets is key with coon. DPs only doesn’t get me consistent numbers in short amount of time as does a variety of sets.
We have a very high coon population here. Several seasons I ran just coyote sets and ended up with about same number of coon as I did coyotes in same sets.
Keep us updated. Lots of factors to consider.
Jim

Last edited by jabNE; 11/08/22 08:13 AM.

Money cannot buy you happiness, but it can buy you a trapping license and that's pretty close.
Re: I’m Doing Something Wrong [Re: MartinPlayer] #7712007
11/08/22 08:47 AM
11/08/22 08:47 AM
SW Pa
B
Bob Jameson Offline
trapper
Bob Jameson  Offline
trapper
B

SW Pa
With the temps we have been having it is likely too much stink for their liking in these conditions. I would suggest using a milder lure or bait, even something sweeter/musky smelling. Big stink is not the answer to mild weather trapping for coyotes or fox. Cut back on the amount you use also, particularly if you know you are on location.

I agree cams can be an issue at times with some models.

Re: I’m Doing Something Wrong [Re: MartinPlayer] #7712094
11/08/22 11:14 AM
11/08/22 11:14 AM
The great cage state Colorado
M
Monster Toms Offline
trapper
Monster Toms  Offline
trapper
M

The great cage state Colorado
Full moon doesn't help either in some cases, are you paying attention to prevailing wind direction when making your sets?

Re: I’m Doing Something Wrong [Re: MartinPlayer] #7712166
11/08/22 01:00 PM
11/08/22 01:00 PM
PA
M
MartinPlayer Offline OP
trapper
MartinPlayer  Offline OP
trapper
M

PA
Got two more coons today. No coyote. I made my own coon bait. Cheap dry dog food with some strawberry jelly and cheap pancake syrup. Seems they like it. A little messy but smells good.

Re: I’m Doing Something Wrong [Re: Monster Toms] #7712173
11/08/22 01:05 PM
11/08/22 01:05 PM
PA
M
MartinPlayer Offline OP
trapper
MartinPlayer  Offline OP
trapper
M

PA
Originally Posted by Monster Toms
Full moon doesn't help either in some cases, are you paying attention to prevailing wind direction when making your sets?

Originally Posted by Monster Toms

Yes, I’m playing the wind. I have 130 acres of my property. Predominately wooded with about 8 acres in deer food plots and the rest reclaimed mine. I have one small tributary stream about 1/4 mile long and that drains into a bigger creek that i have about half mile frontage on. I don’t have the place really scouted out for them as best I can and I’m trying to tag one of the shooter bucks I have running around. So between the dozen and a half of traps and chasing deer I’m pretty full on my schedule. I’m surrounded by a 365 acre farm of corn and beans, and some more reclaimed mine property. Habitat is good and lots of coyotes. But in the last four years, I’ve seen eight turkey. Zero small game. No groundhogs, rabbits, grouse, nada.

Re: I’m Doing Something Wrong [Re: MartinPlayer] #7712201
11/08/22 02:13 PM
11/08/22 02:13 PM
Firth, Nebraska
jabNE Offline
trapper
jabNE  Offline
trapper

Firth, Nebraska
MartinPlayer that’s sounds like a common theme folks around here mentioning also, lower numbers of small game animals.
Maybe instead of bait sets (dirt holes) just make post sets with pee only, or flat sets with gland lure only.
When I set a location I generally put 2 and sometimes 3 sets at the location. I could have multiple locations on a larger farm. The three sets, one is always a dirt hole with bait, the second is always a post set and that is usually about 20 to 50 paces from the bait set. If I add a third it’s a flat set or something else completely different from the first two sets. A flat set works. Sometimes that third I may make it really visual like a big mound of dirt (one or two five gallon buckets worth) with gland lure on one side of it guarded with a blended trap. Sometimes my third is a large bleached bone like a hip bone or thigh bone from cow and prop it up if necessary to make it visible over grass. Same thing just gland lure and a blended trap. Also can try a really big hole set, or maybe two mounds of dirt with a trap between them. Use imagination.
Variety is good with coyotes too. If not interested in bait then work the territorial thing like post sets with pee, or flat sets with gland lure.
Also don’t be afraid to try a blind set of you have a nice trail they are using. No bait, no urine, no lure, just a trap where they will step along that trail. Those work great.
Just some thoughts…
Jim

Money cannot buy you happiness, but it can buy you a trapping license and that's pretty close.
Re: I’m Doing Something Wrong [Re: MartinPlayer] #7712265
11/08/22 03:44 PM
11/08/22 03:44 PM
NC - Here there and everywhere
C
coondagger2 Offline
"Brat"
coondagger2  Offline
"Brat"
C

NC - Here there and everywhere
Some really good advice here so far. I have better luck making multiple sets at a good location. The wind blows a different direction here each day it seems like so having multiple traps on opposing sides of an intersection sets me up for multiple winds. I try to keep it simple so most of the time its two dirt holes with bait and urine or a dirt hole and a flat set. It has been slower for me the past couple days too with the full moon and 80 degree temps, it will pick back up soon

Gotta live up to the nickname...
Re: I’m Doing Something Wrong [Re: MartinPlayer] #7712414
11/08/22 08:09 PM
11/08/22 08:09 PM
Southeast Louisiana
S
Slipknot Offline
trapper
Slipknot  Offline
trapper
S

Southeast Louisiana
One thing you can try is setting. Up a couple bait sites. I use dog food in about a 1 foot hole with some fish oil on it once they start hitting it you can go in and make couple sets. This is just something I do that works for me.

Re: I’m Doing Something Wrong [Re: Slipknot] #7712740
11/09/22 09:45 AM
11/09/22 09:45 AM
Pennsylvania
P
patrapperbuster Offline
trapper
patrapperbuster  Offline
trapper
P

Pennsylvania
Originally Posted by Slipknot
One thing you can try is setting. Up a couple bait sites. I use dog food in about a 1 foot hole with some fish oil on it once they start hitting it you can go in and make couple sets. This is just something I do that works for me.

X2

I do test sets occasionally BEFORE season in new areas to see which ones are being worked

Till that day.....
Re: I’m Doing Something Wrong [Re: Bob Jameson] #7712752
11/09/22 09:59 AM
11/09/22 09:59 AM
West Central MN
20scout Offline
trapper
20scout  Offline
trapper

West Central MN
Originally Posted by Bob Jameson
With the temps we have been having it is likely too much stink for their liking in these conditions. I would suggest using a milder lure or bait, even something sweeter/musky smelling. Big stink is not the answer to mild weather trapping for coyotes or fox. Cut back on the amount you use also, particularly if you know you are on location.

I agree cams can be an issue at times with some models.

I have to agree with Mr. Jameson (and a few others). With too loud of lure early in the season, canines don't need to get close to your sets to satisfy their curiosity. I hold off on my stronger smelling lure and baits till after freeze up.

Common sense is a not a vegetable that does well in everyone's garden.
Re: I’m Doing Something Wrong [Re: MartinPlayer] #7716684
11/13/22 04:38 PM
11/13/22 04:38 PM
Marion Kansas
Y
Yes sir Online content
"Callie's little brother"
Yes sir  Online Content
"Callie's little brother"
Y

Marion Kansas
I hate to point out the obvious but........ ur bait or lure is the #1 thing when it come to attracting coyotes, getting coyotes to work ur set and ultimately catching coyotes...... high pressured, educated coyotes things are a little different. But to catch the easy 60% it's their nose. If the coyotes aren't attracted to ur set .....it might be a shot in the dark......but could it be ur attractant...???
I know I'm overly simplifying it.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  Drifter, Wolfdog91