No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter


Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum


~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~


Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products


Print Thread
Hop To
Using EVERY Part of an Animal....... #7721704
11/19/22 12:52 PM
11/19/22 12:52 PM
Joined: Dec 2006
Posts: 1,333
MI
T
trappingthomas Offline OP
trapper
trappingthomas  Offline OP
trapper
T

Joined: Dec 2006
Posts: 1,333
MI
Years ago I had a series of real estate deals with a Hmong family. The father fought on our side during the Vietnam War and was relocated to Detroit along with his mother and many other Hmong when things did not end our way. He loves this country and his family are good people.

Anyway I invited two of his sons out to the farm to hunt deer one day. It was a successful hunt with the oldest son, Si Vong, getting a nice size doe. As it was obvious I was the only one carrying a knife I offered to field dress it for him. Both brothers spoke at once saying no thank you they would bring it home to grandmother and father to clean. They stressed in their culture "nothing" goes to waste. I did not ask for details and helped them load it in their vehicle.

I have had many meals with them in their homes but was never served anything more exotic than pigeon (which I had had before). Everything they ever served me was delicious.

I am guessing all organs and maybe even intestines were consumed. Anyone else with some insight? Anyone else feel they use everything you can from a harvested animal?

Just a memory that popped into my mind last night when the only animal in sight, while deer hunting, was a wandering muskrat.

Re: Using EVERY Part of an Animal....... [Re: trappingthomas] #7721709
11/19/22 12:55 PM
11/19/22 12:55 PM
Joined: Jan 2018
Posts: 3,679
MN
D
Donnersurvivor Offline
trapper
Donnersurvivor  Offline
trapper
D

Joined: Jan 2018
Posts: 3,679
MN
Always wondered about eating the lungs, never been that hungry.

Re: Using EVERY Part of an Animal....... [Re: trappingthomas] #7721711
11/19/22 12:59 PM
11/19/22 12:59 PM
Joined: Jan 2017
Posts: 2,720
Ks
Flint Hill fur Offline
trapper
Flint Hill fur  Offline
trapper

Joined: Jan 2017
Posts: 2,720
Ks
Yeah I'm not thinking lung would be tasty

Re: Using EVERY Part of an Animal....... [Re: trappingthomas] #7721713
11/19/22 01:04 PM
11/19/22 01:04 PM
Joined: May 2011
Posts: 14,246
Oakland, MS
yotetrapper30 Offline
trapper
yotetrapper30  Offline
trapper

Joined: May 2011
Posts: 14,246
Oakland, MS
They may wash the intestines and use them as sausage casing. But no, I definitely do not use everything from the deer. I don't do organ meat.


~~Proud Ultra MAGA~~
Re: Using EVERY Part of an Animal....... [Re: trappingthomas] #7721726
11/19/22 01:24 PM
11/19/22 01:24 PM
Joined: Feb 2007
Posts: 829
Killingly, CT
Brian Mongeau Offline
trapper
Brian Mongeau  Offline
trapper

Joined: Feb 2007
Posts: 829
Killingly, CT
My son's cow lost a calf last night that was too big to pass. After the vet extracted it to save the cow, she said he could save the placenta to sell to folks from India. They would eat it. I know other cultures eat stuff we wouldn't ever consider, but that is a whole new level. Gross.

Re: Using EVERY Part of an Animal....... [Re: trappingthomas] #7721728
11/19/22 01:29 PM
11/19/22 01:29 PM
Joined: May 2010
Posts: 2,538
The great cage state Colorado
M
Monster Toms Offline
trapper
Monster Toms  Offline
trapper
M

Joined: May 2010
Posts: 2,538
The great cage state Colorado
Most dealing I have had with the Hmong, they cook most everything whole, fur on, guts in, over open flame. Then peel off the outside pull out the inside and go to eating.






Re: Using EVERY Part of an Animal....... [Re: trappingthomas] #7721731
11/19/22 01:30 PM
11/19/22 01:30 PM
Joined: Dec 2006
Posts: 19,401
St. Louis Co, Mo
B
BigBob Offline
trapper
BigBob  Offline
trapper
B

Joined: Dec 2006
Posts: 19,401
St. Louis Co, Mo
There's an old country expression about pig farming: Use everything but the Oink!


Every kid needs a Dog and a Curmudgeon.

Remember Bowe Bergdahl, the traitor.

Beware! Jill Pudlewski, Ron Oates and Keven Begesse are liars and thiefs!
Re: Using EVERY Part of an Animal....... [Re: trappingthomas] #7721744
11/19/22 01:48 PM
11/19/22 01:48 PM
Joined: Jan 2007
Posts: 3,064
MD
D
DaveP Offline
trapper
DaveP  Offline
trapper
D

Joined: Jan 2007
Posts: 3,064
MD
Originally Posted by Monster Toms
Most dealing I have had with the Hmong, they cook most everything whole, fur on, guts in, over open flame. Then peel off the outside pull out the inside and go to eating.





Could explain the squirrel poachers nabbed in Missouri.
471, whole and charred over a fire!


[Linked Image]

Re: Using EVERY Part of an Animal....... [Re: trappingthomas] #7721751
11/19/22 02:13 PM
11/19/22 02:13 PM
Joined: Jul 2017
Posts: 1,933
PA
W
w side rd 151 Offline
trapper
w side rd 151  Offline
trapper
W

Joined: Jul 2017
Posts: 1,933
PA
My ancestors came to America in the days before the American revolution . I am descendent from people that called Germany and Switzerland their home .But I grew up on a farm in PA .We butchered our own livestock for our annual meat supply Steers pigs and chickens where alwys in the freezer Butchering weekend was Thanksgiving weekend Many neighbors and family would come out to help .And generally some of them would have their own livestock already at our farm So it was a family butchering event We used and cooked and frze and cured anything you would find on the animal .Pig feet, pigs stomach, pigs intestines, where used to make sausage tripe (beef stomach, hog brains, liver, heart, pigs ears. and pickled tongue all went home with someone .Also the beef tail was used as stew meat .Sometimes the bones would be ccoked with the other scrape meat to add to the pudding and ponhaus .This would have been in the early 1960,s I would not be all that interested in eating many of those various animal parts anymore .The only exception would be ponhaus I like well some well made ponhaus .A good recipe and properly cooked it is still something I like occasionally . But at that time if it was OK to eat than sometime down the road it was on the table and it was called supper . Another thing that was ate aby some people was hog cracklins .That was a by product of pressing the fat on a pig to obtain lard And the remained pig skin rines where either used as dog food o r in some case eaten by people .I have always been thin AND i do not over eat as a rule When Mom was making meals for the whole family her only rule was What I MAKE IS THE MEAL DO NOT ASK FOR SOMETHING DIFERENT BECAUSE YOU DO'N'T LIKE IT . EAT SOME VEGATABLES OR SOMETHING ELSE NOW I would pass on most of the off beat items that became our meals

Re: Using EVERY Part of an Animal....... [Re: Brian Mongeau] #7721761
11/19/22 02:39 PM
11/19/22 02:39 PM
Joined: Sep 2020
Posts: 1,334
Pennsylvania
P
patrapperbuster Offline
trapper
patrapperbuster  Offline
trapper
P

Joined: Sep 2020
Posts: 1,334
Pennsylvania
Originally Posted by Brian Mongeau
My son's cow lost a calf last night that was too big to pass. After the vet extracted it to save the cow, she said he could save the placenta to sell to folks from India. They would eat it. I know other cultures eat stuff we wouldn't ever consider, but that is a whole new level. Gross.



I guess it's all in what you're used to & brought up with

Re: Using EVERY Part of an Animal....... [Re: DaveP] #7721763
11/19/22 02:41 PM
11/19/22 02:41 PM
Joined: Apr 2014
Posts: 6,830
MO
cfowler Offline
trapper
cfowler  Offline
trapper

Joined: Apr 2014
Posts: 6,830
MO
Originally Posted by DaveP

Could explain the squirrel poachers nabbed in Missouri.
471, whole and charred over a fire!
[Linked Image]

Iíve seen them in MO doing this. They were being checked by an agent. Sounds like a firefight when they go through the woods.


I trap for fun. I skin 'em for the money!
Grinners For Life-Lifetime Member, MO Chapter, Den #1
~You Grin, You're In~
Re: Using EVERY Part of an Animal....... [Re: BigBob] #7721779
11/19/22 03:08 PM
11/19/22 03:08 PM
Joined: Dec 2006
Posts: 1,333
MI
T
trappingthomas Offline OP
trapper
trappingthomas  Offline OP
trapper
T

Joined: Dec 2006
Posts: 1,333
MI
Originally Posted by BigBob
There's an old country expression about pig farming: Use everything but the Oink!


Makes you realize how lucky you were to be "living high on the hog"!

Re: Using EVERY Part of an Animal....... [Re: trappingthomas] #7721793
11/19/22 03:43 PM
11/19/22 03:43 PM
Joined: Jan 2020
Posts: 3,944
Aliceville, Kansas 42
Yukon John Offline
trapper
Yukon John  Offline
trapper

Joined: Jan 2020
Posts: 3,944
Aliceville, Kansas 42
Coyotes gotta eat too!


Act like a blank, get treated like a blank. Insert your own blank!
Re: Using EVERY Part of an Animal....... [Re: trappingthomas] #7721802
11/19/22 04:10 PM
11/19/22 04:10 PM
Joined: Dec 2021
Posts: 986
Louisiana
M
MattLA Offline
trapper
MattLA  Offline
trapper
M

Joined: Dec 2021
Posts: 986
Louisiana
Originally Posted by trappingthomas
Years ago I had a series of real estate deals with a Hmong family. The father fought on our side during the Vietnam War and was relocated to Detroit along with his mother and many other Hmong when things did not end our way. He loves this country and his family are good people.

Anyway I invited two of his sons out to the farm to hunt deer one day. It was a successful hunt with the oldest son, Si Vong, getting a nice size doe. As it was obvious I was the only one carrying a knife I offered to field dress it for him. Both brothers spoke at once saying no thank you they would bring it home to grandmother and father to clean. They stressed in their culture "nothing" goes to waste. I did not ask for details and helped them load it in their vehicle.

I have had many meals with them in their homes but was never served anything more exotic than pigeon (which I had had before). Everything they ever served me was delicious.

I am guessing all organs and maybe even intestines were consumed. Anyone else with some insight? Anyone else feel they use everything you can from a harvested animal?

Just a memory that popped into my mind last night when the only animal in sight, while deer hunting, was a wandering muskrat.


The only part I dont use is the guts, but like the stomach, the pee and poop stuff I get all that out and save it. I save all the bones, the fur, the claws and feet. Etc.

Re: Using EVERY Part of an Animal....... [Re: trappingthomas] #7721820
11/19/22 04:36 PM
11/19/22 04:36 PM
Joined: Aug 2011
Posts: 39,450
james bay frontierOnt.
B
Boco Online content
trapper
Boco  Online Content
trapper
B

Joined: Aug 2011
Posts: 39,450
james bay frontierOnt.
I return a fair bit to the food chain.
Helps the carrying capacity of the land.

Last edited by Boco; 11/19/22 04:36 PM.

Forget that fear of gravity-get a little savagery in your life.
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread