No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: Making those electric cars cheaper to operate [Re: Dirt] #7724007
11/22/22 07:35 AM
11/22/22 07:35 AM
alberta
S
spjones Offline
trapper
spjones  Offline
trapper
S

alberta
One of the biggest problem today, the kids(and some adults) actually think electric cars grow on tree’s

Even Elon musk(owner/brains behind largest EV maker) sezs we need more oil

https://www.wsj.com/articles/elon-musk-says-world-needs-more-oil-and-gas-11661772916

Re: Making those electric cars cheaper to operate [Re: danny clifton] #7724009
11/22/22 07:38 AM
11/22/22 07:38 AM
Iowa
T
trapdog1 Offline
trapper
trapdog1  Offline
trapper
T

Iowa
Originally Posted by danny clifton
I was on a job the other day in DeSoto KS. A western suburb of Kansas City. They have started the dirt work for an electric car battery plant.

Like these wind farms around here, probably funded at taxpayer expense.

Re: Making those electric cars cheaper to operate [Re: Dirt] #7724021
11/22/22 08:03 AM
11/22/22 08:03 AM
williamsburg ks
D
danny clifton Offline
"Grumpy Old Man"
danny clifton  Offline
"Grumpy Old Man"
D

williamsburg ks
Probably trapdog1. Its being built on federally owned property. An old army ammo plant. Have already spent many millions, likely a billion, just on clean up of hazardous waste

Those who would give up essential liberty, to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790)
Re: Making those electric cars cheaper to operate [Re: Dirt] #7724023
11/22/22 08:05 AM
11/22/22 08:05 AM
williamsburg ks
D
danny clifton Offline
"Grumpy Old Man"
danny clifton  Offline
"Grumpy Old Man"
D

williamsburg ks
About 30 years ago a developer was trying to buy the property and build an amusement park called oz. Somehow that never happened.

Those who would give up essential liberty, to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790)
Re: Making those electric cars cheaper to operate [Re: nh toe pincher] #7724163
11/22/22 11:34 AM
11/22/22 11:34 AM
Armpit, ak
D
Dirt Offline OP
trapper
Dirt  Offline OP
trapper
D

Armpit, ak
Originally Posted by nh toe pincher
at a charging station, yes, at home, no.

When the federal government pays for distribution and transmission systems instead of the electric companies the electrical users do not pay for these upgrades through their electric bills.

“reduce electricity costs for families and businesses"

Last edited by Dirt; 11/22/22 11:36 AM.

Who is John Galt?
Re: Making those electric cars cheaper to operate [Re: danny clifton] #7724177
11/22/22 12:10 PM
11/22/22 12:10 PM
Armpit, ak
D
Dirt Offline OP
trapper
Dirt  Offline OP
trapper
D

Armpit, ak
Probably trapdog1. Its being built on federally owned property. An old army ammo plant. Have already spent many millions, likely a billion, just on clean up of hazardous waste

The army had a small aircraft communications site here and other remote areas of Alaska back in the 40's -50's. They have been involved in super fund clean ups here for over a decade. The latest is a repeat of the clean up of an old dump site that the river washed 90% away over 30 years ago. What was left the first time was dug up and the metal was reburied in a different spot in the area and the dirt was bagged and hauled out of here as hazmat. The excavation was refilled from a high spot in the area with clean dirt. Fast forward 10 years and a new contractor has the contract to clean up this dump and remove the contaminated dirt. 90% of the old dump is river bed and he has dug up the the spot that was filled in 10 years ago with clean dirt and bagged it up. He has sent equipment into the over 100 year old forest surrounding the site to scrape dirt off the surface to fill more bags of clean dirt. This will eventually be ship to town on river boats as hazmat. I wonder if I will live long enough to see the third clean up? You can't make this stuff up!

Last edited by Dirt; 11/22/22 01:02 PM.

Who is John Galt?
Re: Making those electric cars cheaper to operate [Re: Dirt] #7724189
11/22/22 12:28 PM
11/22/22 12:28 PM
williamsburg ks
D
danny clifton Offline
"Grumpy Old Man"
danny clifton  Offline
"Grumpy Old Man"
D

williamsburg ks
Most of the wooden buildings, and there were hundreds, had asbestos siding Dirt. I worked there for a few years but it had been in continuous operation since WWII. I hauled stuff. All kinds of stuff. Both on site (over a hundred square miles) and off. One of my jobs was to pump out the sump under the buildings manufacturing nitro guanidine. Acid was used to produce the stuff and watered down acid collected in these sumps. I hauled it out to ponds on site and dumped it in. The ponds all had a liner and the fire dept (they had their own) would then put baking soda in it to neutralize the acid. The banks of the ponds looked like they were surrounded with styrofoam. Other waste was dumped on site also. I could write a chapter.

Feds were talking about clean up in the early 90's and the guy wanting to build the amusement park was willing to pay going rate per acre cost of the property to help off set clean up cost.

Panasonic is building the EV battery plant there. Nobody is reporting on all the incentives to get them to do it but here is the big d spend money version
https://shawneemissionpost.com/2022/11/02/panasonic-groundbreaking-sunflower-ammo-185908/

Re: Making those electric cars cheaper to operate [Re: Dirt] #7724191
11/22/22 12:33 PM
11/22/22 12:33 PM
Northeast Oklahoma
M
Mike in A-town Offline
trapper
Mike in A-town  Offline
trapper
M

Northeast Oklahoma
Originally Posted by Dirt

The army had a small I believe radar station here and other remote areas of Alaska back in the 40's -50's. They have been involved in super fund clean ups here for over a decade. The latest is a repeat of the clean up of an old dump site that the river washed 90% away over 30 years ago. What was left the first time was dug up and the metal was reburied in a different spot in the area and the dirt was bagged and hauled out of here as hasmat. The excavation was refilled from a high spot in the area with clean dirt. Fast forward 10 years and a new contractor has the contract to clean up this dump and remove the contaminated dirt. 90% of the old dump is river bed and he has dug up the the spot that was filled in 10 years ago with clean dirt and bagged it up. He has sent equipment into the over 100 year old forest surrounding the site to scrape dirt off the surface to fill more bags of clean dirt. This will eventually be ship to town on river boats as hasmat. I wonder if I will live long enough to see the third clean up? You can't make this stuff up!

I live near the Tar Creek SuperFund site... Several years ago some folks visited my parent's house and asked my mom for permission to test the gravel in her driveway. They were checking for lead contamination... The story was that a lot of the gravel in this area was taken from the tailings at the lead/zinc mines in Picher.

Wouldn't you know it? They found lead. And fortunately they had a program where a contractor would come by and clean up the old gravel and replace it with new, safe, lead-free gravel... All at no cost to my folks. Federal government was picking up the tab.

Was there really lead in mom and dad's driveway gravel? I don't know. But I would bet that if you're getting paid to find lead, you're going to find it a lot of the time.

The real question is... Did the gravel from my folks driveway get used to "remediate" someone else's driveway after testing revealed lead at another spot?

Surely with federal tax dollars being thrown at the problem with little oversight there wouldn't be any shenanigans going on.

Mike

One man with a gun may control 100 others who have none.

Vladimir Lenin
Re: Making those electric cars cheaper to operate [Re: Dirt] #7724208
11/22/22 01:06 PM
11/22/22 01:06 PM
williamsburg ks
D
danny clifton Offline
"Grumpy Old Man"
danny clifton  Offline
"Grumpy Old Man"
D

williamsburg ks
Mike, they are still hauling manufactured sand from Picher all over the place and putting it in asphalt. Bingham sand and gravel still sits there right on the KS OK line. Binghams doesn't have trucks anymore but that sand and gravel is absolutely still being used. Get on Google earth . Follow the HWY north out of Pitcher. Binghams is on the KS side of the line. Some of there stockpile is on the south side of the border. Yes. Right now as you read this.

Re: Making those electric cars cheaper to operate [Re: Dirt] #7724212
11/22/22 01:09 PM
11/22/22 01:09 PM
williamsburg ks
D
danny clifton Offline
"Grumpy Old Man"
danny clifton  Offline
"Grumpy Old Man"
D

williamsburg ks
I just looked. Google still shows the flint rock plant that is manufacturing sand from those tailings and is being used in asphalt. So your right. No shenanigans here.

Re: Making those electric cars cheaper to operate [Re: Dirt] #7724214
11/22/22 01:10 PM
11/22/22 01:10 PM
james bay frontierOnt.
B
Boco Offline
trapper
Boco  Offline
trapper
B

james bay frontierOnt.
Did they ever clean up the Love Canal?

Forget that fear of gravity-get a little savagery in your life.
Re: Making those electric cars cheaper to operate [Re: danny clifton] #7724219
11/22/22 01:23 PM
11/22/22 01:23 PM
Northeast Oklahoma
M
Mike in A-town Offline
trapper
Mike in A-town  Offline
trapper
M

Northeast Oklahoma
Mike, they are still hauling manufactured sand from Picher all over the place and putting it in asphalt. Bingham sand and gravel still sits there right on the KS OK line. Binghams doesn't have trucks anymore but that sand and gravel is absolutely still being used. Get on Google earth . Follow the HWY north out of Pitcher. Binghams is on the KS side of the line. Some of there stockpile is on the south side of the border. Yes. Right now as you read this.

Danny, about a month or two ago my wife and I were coming back from Joplin. Just for fun I exited off 44 at the state line and took the back roads through Baxter Springs towards Miami. Got between Quapaw and Commerce and on a whim decided to take a spin through Picher just to see what was left...

Drove through Picher and crossed the state line there at the town on the KS side... Treece, I think. Went back through and took the side road to go look at Cardin.

Warning signs and fences everywhere... But plenty of activity still going on commercially. The chat piles are nowhere near as big as they once were... Used to be able to see them from miles away. And looked like there were batch plants operating. Teeter's Asphalt & Paving was one of the names I remember seeing. Their shop is right there in Quapaw.

Looks to me like this "remediation" is just federal funds lining pockets for a select few. "Dangerous lead contaminated tailings" are all of a sudden safe to use.

Mike

One man with a gun may control 100 others who have none.

Vladimir Lenin
Re: Making those electric cars cheaper to operate [Re: Boco] #7724220
11/22/22 01:25 PM
11/22/22 01:25 PM
Tug Hill, NY
S
Squash Offline
trapper
Squash  Offline
trapper
S

Tug Hill, NY
Originally Posted by Boco
Did they ever clean up the Love Canal?

Supposedly they did, took 21 years of a Superfund operation.

Re: Making those electric cars cheaper to operate [Re: Dirt] #7724286
11/22/22 03:33 PM
11/22/22 03:33 PM
pa
H
hippie Offline
trapper
hippie  Offline
trapper
H

pa
Electric cars will never be cheaper to operate than they are right now.

Re: Making those electric cars cheaper to operate [Re: Dirt] #7724298
11/22/22 03:55 PM
11/22/22 03:55 PM
MN, Land of 10,000 Lakes
T
Trapper7 Offline
trapper
Trapper7  Offline
trapper
T

MN, Land of 10,000 Lakes
Some people think all they will have to do will be to plug your car in like it was a lamp or something similar and it will be free.

I don't care how nice the hand soap smells, you should never walk out of the restroom sniffing your fingers.
Re: Making those electric cars cheaper to operate [Re: Dirt] #7724321
11/22/22 04:52 PM
11/22/22 04:52 PM
SE Iowa USA
A
AKAjust Offline
trapper
AKAjust  Offline
trapper
A

SE Iowa USA
]Where's that oil from the keystone XL come from? What Canadian company isn't building it?

"Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau had also supported the pipeline and said "we are disappointed but acknowledge the president's decision" to cancel the permit to build it."

Whats more important is "Where is it going".
just

I believe it ends up in Texas, then refined in the number 1 refining country in the world, then shipped to customers world wide to the highest bidder.[/quote]

I think so too. That ain't helping lower the price for us at all.

Re: Making those electric cars cheaper to operate [Re: Dirt] #7724330
11/22/22 05:08 PM
11/22/22 05:08 PM
La.
G
Gator Foot Offline
trapper
Gator Foot  Offline
trapper
G

La.
[Linked Image]

Re: Making those electric cars cheaper to operate [Re: AKAjust] #7724331
11/22/22 05:09 PM
11/22/22 05:09 PM
Armpit, ak
D
Dirt Offline OP
trapper
Dirt  Offline OP
trapper
D

Armpit, ak
Originally Posted by AKAjust
]Where's that oil from the keystone XL come from? What Canadian company isn't building it?

"Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau had also supported the pipeline and said "we are disappointed but acknowledge the president's decision" to cancel the permit to build it."

Whats more important is "Where is it going".
just

I believe it ends up in Texas, then refined in the number 1 refining country in the world, then shipped to customers world wide to the highest bidder.

I think so too. That ain't helping lower the price for us at all.[/quote]

It would appear the U.S. proxy war in the Ukraine may not be in the best interest of the American people?

Who is John Galt?
Re: Making those electric cars cheaper to operate [Re: Dirt] #7724644
11/22/22 11:44 PM
11/22/22 11:44 PM
SE Iowa USA
A
AKAjust Offline
trapper
AKAjust  Offline
trapper
A

SE Iowa USA
This thread is already hijacked so
With all of Europe nvolved why do you think its a US proxy war?
just

Re: Making those electric cars cheaper to operate [Re: Dirt] #7724962
11/23/22 11:43 AM
11/23/22 11:43 AM
Armpit, ak
D
Dirt Offline OP
trapper
Dirt  Offline OP
trapper
D

Armpit, ak
"The United States has by far provided the most military assistance to Ukraine, more than every other country combined. Many NATO allies, such as Germany and Sweden, have reversed past policies against providing offensive military aid in order to support Ukraine, while the European Union for the first time in its history supplied lethal arms through its institutions."

"This shift in the West’s approach to the war was first signaled on Monday, when Secretary of Defense Lloyd Austin said the United States’ goals in the war were not only to protect Ukraine as a democratic, sovereign country but also to “weaken” Russia as a military power. This has been obvious for some time, but even some U.S. officials were surprised to hear Austin express the fact so explicitly."

[Linked Image]

Last edited by Dirt; 11/23/22 11:52 AM.

Who is John Galt?
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread