No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Excluding Housecats [Re: warrior] #7728175
11/27/22 12:27 PM
11/27/22 12:27 PM
PA
W
w side rd 151 Offline
trapper
w side rd 151  Offline
trapper
W

PA
Originally Posted by warrior
Free ranging cats need trapped. They are a non native invasive predators that kill billions of native species worldwide and responsible for the extinction of several native species and reservoirs of zoonotic disease that threatens other endangered wildlife.

Agreed I call tell you how to avoid catching them more than once .Feral cats reproduce several times a year . The number of diseases they carry some of which are possibly issues that can effect humans They kill millions of song birds and native mammals. And the trap spade neuter theory is a way for people to steal money from people that are susceptible to misinformation.

Re: Excluding Housecats [Re: GREENCOUNTYPETE] #7728186
11/27/22 12:37 PM
11/27/22 12:37 PM
Oakland, MS
yotetrapper30 Offline
trapper
yotetrapper30  Offline
trapper

Oakland, MS
Originally Posted by GREENCOUNTYPETE
Originally Posted by learch
Dog proofs on your property and go get permission on new ground close by.

sorry but cats still happen in pull only DPs
barn cats can be let out but they will get caught and Ferals are legal here year round just like possum

Have you tried using only stuff like marshmallows in them? I trapped a place that was absolutely infested with cats... think crazy cat lady.... using pull only DPs and marshmallows. Caught a slew of big old fat IL barn coons, but no cats.

~~Proud Ultra MAGA~~
Re: Excluding Housecats [Re: Strut10] #7728199
11/27/22 12:51 PM
11/27/22 12:51 PM
Ohio
W
Willy Firewood Offline
trapper
Willy Firewood  Offline
trapper
W

Ohio
Originally Posted by Strut10
Free ranging cats need trapped. They are a non native invasive predators that kill billions of native species worldwide and responsible for the extinction of several native species and reservoirs of zoonotic disease that threatens other endangered wildlife.

THIS................is the harsh truth that cat owners / lovers don't want to hear.

And - What housecats?....I haven't seen any cats.

Your question is absurd! You let cats run loose and ask how to not catch them! You can be the problem and solution. Either let them wander and catch them, or don’t let them wander and don’t catch them.

In my nuisance trapping business I had a customer with a severe lawn damage problem. She fed her wandering cats bowls of food outside which initially attracted the raccoons. I told her in plain language to put the cats in the garage or house so I don’t catch them and waste her money and my time. She reluctantly agreeed. In my agreement I wrote in large letters to put all pets inside. On the evening of the day that I set cages, she called me and was furious because I had caught a cat. I went there, released the cat, gathered the traps, and gave her a partial refund.

FRAC LIVES MATTER
Re: Excluding Housecats [Re: SwoleTrapper] #7728236
11/27/22 01:28 PM
11/27/22 01:28 PM
La.
G
Gator Foot Offline
trapper
Gator Foot  Offline
trapper
G

La.
A long time ago. The parish I lived in, had a leash law, a it also included cats!! One day, my girlfriend called me up crying! She said, she just ran over her neighbors cat, and they are at her door! So, I told her to tell them, they have a leash law here with cats included! And if there is any damage to my car they will be responsible!! The neighbor looked down the road and said, I don’t think that’s my cat, and left!! I know that’s not what you asked for. But, do what everyone else said, sweet bait and cages. And you might still catch them! Firewood, I would ad to this to that contract, if I catch your cat it will cost 50 dollars or I will have to bring it to animal control! That might make them lock them up while you are working!!

Re: Excluding Housecats [Re: SwoleTrapper] #7728269
11/27/22 01:58 PM
11/27/22 01:58 PM
Ohio
W
Willy Firewood Offline
trapper
Willy Firewood  Offline
trapper
W

Ohio
Gator - good advice to your daughter!

My contract already includes more than that. I added extra in huge writing and circled the relevant language. She also said a neighbor complained about cruelty to animals because her cat was in a cage trap. She only got a partial refund because of the cat fine/charge, one day trapping, an extra trip, and she tried scolding me. I am very independent and none of that gets dumped on me. I will not work for a difficult customer - they go on my forever waiting list.

FRAC LIVES MATTER
Re: Excluding Housecats [Re: SwoleTrapper] #7728293
11/27/22 02:28 PM
11/27/22 02:28 PM
La.
G
Gator Foot Offline
trapper
Gator Foot  Offline
trapper
G

La.
Firewood, I don’t blame you! Life is too short to mess with people like that!

Re: Excluding Housecats [Re: SwoleTrapper] #7728345
11/27/22 03:59 PM
11/27/22 03:59 PM
SW Georgia
W
Wanna Be Offline
trapper
Wanna Be  Offline
trapper
W

SW Georgia
Outdoor cats don’t last long here. Not in quail country anyways. Ever noticed if you catch a feral cat its fur is thick, they are fat, and have claws about an inch long? Yet catch a feral dog and it’s so thin you can see every bone and they’re covered in ticks so bad that you can’t even make out the breed. You get higher praise on a feral cat than you do any other catch down here. They are just natural born killers.

Re: Excluding Housecats [Re: SwoleTrapper] #7728427
11/27/22 06:08 PM
11/27/22 06:08 PM
Adirondacks, NY
Fisher Man Offline
trapper
Fisher Man  Offline
trapper

Adirondacks, NY
You are probably not the only trapper in your area. KEEP THE CATS INDOORS!

Re: Excluding Housecats [Re: SwoleTrapper] #7728705
11/27/22 11:16 PM
11/27/22 11:16 PM
Newark, Ohio 83 years
Actor Offline
trapper
Actor  Offline
trapper

Newark, Ohio 83 years
In enough time the cats will be taken care of by red fox... the best bait in the world for red fox is cat!

Garry-

“Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he'll just kill you.”

Have been trapping 77 years…
Re: Excluding Housecats [Re: SwoleTrapper] #7728747
11/28/22 12:29 AM
11/28/22 12:29 AM
ohio
Ohio Wolverine Offline
trapper
Ohio Wolverine  Offline
trapper

ohio
Originally Posted by Willy Firewood

In my nuisance trapping business I had a customer with a severe lawn damage problem. She fed her wandering cats bowls of food outside which initially attracted the raccoons. I told her in plain language to put the cats in the garage or house so I don’t catch them and waste her money and my time. She reluctantly agreeed. In my agreement I wrote in large letters to put all pets inside. On the evening of the day that I set cages, she called me and was furious because I had caught a cat. I went there, released the cat, gathered the traps, and gave her a partial refund.

Don't you just love jobs like that?
They feed the birds and squirrels and want you to catch only the skunks.
LOL

We have met the enemy and the enemy is us!
Re: Excluding Housecats [Re: SwoleTrapper] #7729331
11/28/22 08:16 PM
11/28/22 08:16 PM
Green Lane, PA
S
SwoleTrapper Offline OP
trapper
SwoleTrapper  Offline OP
trapper
S

Green Lane, PA
The cats go out, and thats not gonna change. Bottom line is they kill mice and rats better than traps ever will. They kill the occasional bird, but I would too if I were a cat. I have a ton of birds and am not worried about that. If a fox gets one of them, thats no problem, its still better then keeping them imprisoned in the house all the time when they want to go hunting just like us.

I will just go with cages. I have had fox snap legs trying to get out of regular traps, and thats the only reason I worry about the cats. Even with special jaws I could see them getting pretty messed up. Cages will be fun to try

Re: Excluding Housecats [Re: SwoleTrapper] #7729339
11/28/22 08:30 PM
11/28/22 08:30 PM
Georgia
warrior Offline
trapper
warrior  Offline
trapper

Georgia
Originally Posted by SwoleTrapper
Bottom line is they kill mice and rats better than traps ever will.

Patently false. Multiple studies have proven the common misconception that cats are effective at rodent control is false.

For one cats are equal opportunity killers without a predilection for rodents alone. Everything from bugs to reptiles to birds will be killed indiscriminately while the more secretive and nocturnal rodents, mainly the commensal ones, secrete themselves within structures, tunnels or other inaccessible places.

Studies also show that rodent numbers can and do actually grow in the presence of cats. Several possible reasons given are reduced food source competition from other species killed off by the cats, rodent reproductive strategy of large multiple litters, and where cats are fed from the cat food itself.

It has also been conjectured that the omnipresence of cats and rodents has lead to the misconception that cats control rodents when the reverse is true.

[Linked Image]
Re: Excluding Housecats [Re: SwoleTrapper] #7729662
11/29/22 06:16 AM
11/29/22 06:16 AM
Ontario
K
Kermit Offline
trapper
Kermit  Offline
trapper
K

Ontario
Didn't the old boys use skunks as barn mousers?

Re: Excluding Housecats [Re: Kermit] #7729679
11/29/22 06:44 AM
11/29/22 06:44 AM
W NY
Turtledale Offline
trapper
Turtledale  Offline
trapper

W NY
Originally Posted by Kermit
Didn't the old boys use skunks as barn mousers?

Now that would be an interesting thread!

NYSTA, NTA, FTA, life member Erie county trappers assn.,life member Catt.county trappers
Re: Excluding Housecats [Re: warrior] #7729766
11/29/22 08:36 AM
11/29/22 08:36 AM
Indiana
P
Providence Farm Offline
trapper
Providence Farm  Offline
trapper
P

Indiana

Patently false. Multiple studies have proven the common misconception that cats are effective at rodent control is false.

For one cats are equal opportunity killers without a predilection for rodents alone. Everything from bugs to reptiles to birds will be killed indiscriminately while the more secretive and nocturnal rodents, mainly the commensal ones, secrete themselves within structures, tunnels or other inaccessible places.

Studies also show that rodent numbers can and do actually grow in the presence of cats. Several possible reasons given are reduced food source competition from other species killed off by the cats, rodent reproductive strategy of large multiple litters, and where cats are fed from the cat food itself.

It has also been conjectured that the omnipresence of cats and rodents has lead to the misconception that cats control rodents when the reverse is true.

Did your study say how much those cats were feed?

My study shows before I had cats in the barn I would move things and mice would run out from under them
Once cats moved into the barn I seldom see a mouse maybe once or twice a year.

But we don't over feed them either. If there is any food left when they are done eating they are geting feed to much and they get feed once a day. Unless it's bunching day or hunting season.

There are lots of factors that need to be looked at in these studies. Like who paid for them.

I mean you probably should not trap opossum there is a study that shows they eat ticks after all.

Re: Excluding Housecats [Re: SwoleTrapper] #7729899
11/29/22 10:47 AM
11/29/22 10:47 AM
Georgia
warrior Offline
trapper
warrior  Offline
trapper

Georgia
The possum tick study was flawed.

[Linked Image]
Re: Excluding Housecats [Re: warrior] #7729952
11/29/22 12:21 PM
11/29/22 12:21 PM
Indiana
P
Providence Farm Offline
trapper
Providence Farm  Offline
trapper
P

Indiana
The possum tick study was flawed.

Exactly my point on studies. Your cat study is the exact opposite of my personal observation of mice in my barn.

Re: Excluding Housecats [Re: SwoleTrapper] #7729960
11/29/22 12:32 PM
11/29/22 12:32 PM
Champaign County, Ohio.
K
KeithC Offline
trapper
KeithC  Offline
trapper
K

Champaign County, Ohio.

Originally Posted by Providence Farm
Did your study say how much those cats were feed?

My study shows before I had cats in the barn I would move things and mice would run out from under them
Once cats moved into the barn I seldom see a mouse maybe once or twice a year.

But we don't over feed them either. If there is any food left when they are done eating they are geting feed to much and they get feed once a day. Unless it's bunching day or hunting season.

There are lots of factors that need to be looked at in these studies. Like who paid for them.

I mean you probably should not trap opossum there is a study that shows they eat ticks after all.

The studies I have seen with Warrior's results were all made and used by HSUS and PETA, so I very, very, very highly doubt their veracity.

The reason why humans have used cats to control mice for over 10,000 years, is that they do control mice populations.

Cats are less effective at controlling rats, because of rats larger size. When cats and dogs are used together for rat control, they are proven to be effective.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5291527/

Keith

Re: Excluding Housecats [Re: SwoleTrapper] #7729998
11/29/22 01:22 PM
11/29/22 01:22 PM
Pa
W
Wright Brothers Offline
trapper
Wright Brothers  Offline
trapper
W

Pa
A "study" of before and after adc trapping mobile home parks is quite interesting.

Re: Excluding Housecats [Re: SwoleTrapper] #7730070
11/29/22 03:14 PM
11/29/22 03:14 PM
pa
H
hippie Offline
trapper
hippie  Offline
trapper
H

pa
Cats run away.....just saying. whistle