No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 15 of 24 1 2 13 14 15 16 17 23 24
Re: Time to end labor unions [Re: HobbieTrapper] #7739748
12/10/22 08:54 AM
12/10/22 08:54 AM
Central montana
.204 Offline
trapper
.204  Offline
trapper

Central montana
Originally Posted by HobbieTrapper
You people still trying to convince each other you’re right?

Give it a rest.

It’s already been said numerous times, good and not so good people on both sides of the line.

^^^^
This

And as it is appointed unto men once to die, but after this the judgement!
Re: Time to end labor unions [Re: danny clifton] #7739751
12/10/22 09:03 AM
12/10/22 09:03 AM
monadnock region New Hampshire
nh toe pincher Offline
trapper
nh toe pincher  Offline
trapper

monadnock region New Hampshire
all the hot-top & road work up here is seasonal, state road work is prevailing wage, whether it be union ot not, and when all those guys get their seasonal lay-offs, if the company gives them a letter showing an expected "return to work" date, they dont even have to accept an employment offer, or show they are even looking for work. (for state unemployment benefits) pretty tuff to do from a beach in florida. they come back in april with a nice tan.

Re: Time to end labor unions [Re: danny clifton] #7739758
12/10/22 09:14 AM
12/10/22 09:14 AM
Wi.
D
Diggerman Offline
trapper
Diggerman  Offline
trapper
D

Wi.
How many of the union workers on here would pay their dues each week if they had to write out the check? In Wisconsin through Act 10, Public union workers were made to pay their own dues individually and revote the union in every year. Less than 10% did.

Re: Time to end labor unions [Re: trapdog1] #7739759
12/10/22 09:15 AM
12/10/22 09:15 AM
2A Sanctuaries-W. OK & N. NM
Blaine County Offline
trapper
Blaine County  Offline
trapper

2A Sanctuaries-W. OK & N. NM
Originally Posted by trapdog1
This is getting very weird.

Agree.

Re: Time to end labor unions [Re: danny clifton] #7739768
12/10/22 09:32 AM
12/10/22 09:32 AM
illinois
J
jalstat Offline
trapper
jalstat  Offline
trapper
J

illinois
I pay them by the month my check told them I didn’t want them ever to think they are doing a good job

Re: Time to end labor unions [Re: Ohio Wolverine] #7739806
12/10/22 10:12 AM
12/10/22 10:12 AM
OH
Catch22 Offline
trapper
Catch22  Offline
trapper

OH
Originally Posted by Ohio Wolverine
Originally Posted by Wanna Be
From what I’m reading is there are a lot of folks that hate their job and didn’t plan for retirement, lol. I truly enjoy my job and plan on a healthy retirement, when I decide to retire. Guess I paired up with a good company and union.

You can plan all you want , and hope for the best.
You never know for sure what's going to happen anytime in the future.
Unions only care about the dues they get any more.
Your company goes under , they just look for another to unionize !
You don't matter anymore.
4 UNIONS SAME RESULT !

What's that saying, Man makes plans, God laughs. Thousands of us thought we had it made too. Another Company swooped in and bought us out. They phased out some departments, moved the rest to other out of State plants. A bunch of people had 30 years in but didn't have enough points to retire and they lost they're full retirement, no insurance, no benefits except a 1/4 of the retirement they thought they had worked for and was safe.

Hundreds of Union members found themselves scrambling to find work in there 50's and 60's. Most ended up making sandwiches, Walmart, Lowes, etc. The UAW International knew way before we did and stopped coming around. We had to arbitrate cases on our own, they dropped us like a hot potato. My advice, check your contract and read the fine print. Then realize it don't mean squat if you get bought out, new owner, new negotiations.

I wonder if tap dancers walk into a room, look at the floor, and think, I'd tap that. I wonder about things.....
Re: Time to end labor unions [Re: danny clifton] #7739825
12/10/22 10:36 AM
12/10/22 10:36 AM
MN
W
walleye101 Offline
trapper
walleye101  Offline
trapper
W

MN
Following the other "How many are Union" thead, a lot of the responses claim to be conservative, republican, gun owners, etc. Don't you feel somewhat betrayed knowing that your union dues are being funneled almost exclusively to get liberal Democrats elected? How do conservative union members reconcile that?

Re: Time to end labor unions [Re: danny clifton] #7739827
12/10/22 10:37 AM
12/10/22 10:37 AM
williamsburg ks
D
danny clifton Offline OP
"Grumpy Old Man"
danny clifton  Offline OP
"Grumpy Old Man"
D

williamsburg ks
nh toe pincher, weather related is still one of the reasons they will accept for unemployment in KS, but after 2 weeks people are required to look for work and tell the people in charge where they applied and how. Temporary layoff doesn't matter anymore the search for employment is required. After a month they have to go to an office for training on how to get a job. After that they have to go in and meet with a counselor to explain why they cant get hired. The unemployment office will also tell people to fill out applications for places they know are hiring.

Except union members. They are exempted.

Those who would give up essential liberty, to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790)
Re: Time to end labor unions [Re: walleye101] #7739828
12/10/22 10:39 AM
Missouri
ol' dad Offline
trapper
ol' dad  Offline
trapper

Missouri
Originally Posted by walleye101
Following the other "How many are Union" thead, a lot of the responses claim to be conservative, republican, gun owners, etc. Don't you feel somewhat betrayed knowing that your union dues are being funneled almost exclusively to get liberal Democrats elected? How do conservative union members reconcile that?

People vote with their pocket book. Wrong or right, that is the case. Some are even are willing to buy the rope they are later going to get hung with.

Ol dad

"I season my food with hunger"
Re: Time to end labor unions [Re: walleye101] #7739829
South Central Kansas
KsTrapper88 Offline
trapper
KsTrapper88  Offline
trapper

South Central Kansas

[Linked Image]

Dues cannot be used towards campaigns. They raise money for that nonsense

Derek
Re: Time to end labor unions [Re: walleye101] #7739830
12/10/22 10:40 AM
12/10/22 10:40 AM
Eastern Shore of Maryland
HobbieTrapper Offline
"Chippendale Trapper"
HobbieTrapper  Offline
"Chippendale Trapper"

Eastern Shore of Maryland

They buy nice stuff with their fair wage.

-Goofy-
Re: Time to end labor unions [Re: danny clifton] #7739836
12/10/22 10:45 AM
12/10/22 10:45 AM
Southern Ohio
O
Ohiowoodchuck Offline
trapper
Ohiowoodchuck  Offline
trapper
O

Southern Ohio
When’s the last time you guys donated money to a 2nd amendment cause or a republicican candidate. I’m not talking about buying a subscription to the nra so you can get the free hat. I’m talking about randomly giving 100.00 etc.

“If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my child may have peace.”
— Thomas Paine
Re: Time to end labor unions [Re: Ohio Wolverine] #7739844
12/10/22 10:52 AM
12/10/22 10:52 AM
Indiana
P
Providence Farm Offline
trapper
Providence Farm  Offline
trapper
P

Indiana
Originally Posted by Ohio Wolverine
Originally Posted by Rat Masterson
How does one know when a pension is fully funded?

It's what they call vested, you need so much time on the job to be vested.
It depends on the company , some unions it's as little as 5 years , most companies like to stay around at least 15 to 20 years.
Many non union shops will pay for your education in their field of business, but you have to work for them for a set amount of years .
Others that are union , maybe in shop training at best.
Or volunteer trainers , in some cases.

I'll say it one more time unions did help the workers a great deal , until they became political.

He was not asking about when a worker was vested I don't believe. He was asking how you know if the pension was sustainable.

They have the funds available to cover the liability and more. Requires some math but Is simple.

Once again my dues don't go to politicians like many of you seem to be insinuating. You act like it makes a big pile of money and they hand it out that's false and illegal to boot.

Now there is a small amount that will cross over. Like using our union hall for politicians to come speak and using paper dues money paid for to print about said events and such. The other funding is generated through the pac. O my the steel workers gave over a million. Well big crap how many members are there? So 15% give 5$ a week to the pac and have the fund raising breakfast and such. That's their free choice I and most in my plant do not support that.

More of my money goes to democrats through things I buy gifted from anti American companies like Disney( I quit going there for vacations and don't use their products just one example another would be coke).

Just like Trump I get a lot of flake from people here when I call him out on being anti gun. Proven by his actions indisputable. Yet just pointing out that I get called every type of left name there is. Omg sure all the anti union but your mone goes to.... are that same with Trump BUT he is better than the other guys.... no kidding that's not what I said only thet he is not a hard core constitution 2nd supporter you pretend him to be. But you can't seem to grasp the difference. Yes I think he was the best president in my lifetime but he does not get a free pass.

I didn't like McCain but Trump had no grounds to say a thing about a man that served in the war and spent time I'm a prison camp. A man that never served about a man that has! I guess bone spurs give him that right? bs come on.

Unions increase the standard for everyone on everything. Pay benefits and safety weather union or non union. Non union benefit a bunch. Now they can get better wages and benefits becuse there is competition for their labor.

Are unions perfect how about Trump ,far from it on both accounts but the country is better off with both of them.

Last edited by Providence Farm; 12/10/22 11:21 AM.
Re: Time to end labor unions [Re: danny clifton] #7739857
12/10/22 11:06 AM
12/10/22 11:06 AM
Southern Ohio
O
Ohiowoodchuck Offline
trapper
Ohiowoodchuck  Offline
trapper
O

Southern Ohio
I thought federal law mandated employers to pay pensions. I know they can transfer to a 401k, but the grandfathered employees still got there pension. I know some of my co workers will receive there pension, but it’s basically been froze since the company went to 401k.

— Thomas Paine
Re: Time to end labor unions [Re: Ohiowoodchuck] #7739871
12/10/22 11:26 AM
12/10/22 11:26 AM
Indiana
P
Providence Farm Offline
trapper
Providence Farm  Offline
trapper
P

Indiana
Originally Posted by Ohiowoodchuck
I thought federal law mandated employers to pay pensions. I know they can transfer to a 401k, but the grandfathered employees still got there pension. I know some of my co workers will receive there pension, but it’s basically been froze since the company went to 401k.

I have a pension and a 401. Each contract the pension could be frozen but for now I still have it and it is growing. Those hired in after I did get less in their pension and more in their 401. That was a bad contract voted down at my plant but passed by the other plants that were less profitable and on we may close this plant list.

Re: Time to end labor unions [Re: KsTrapper88] #7739878
12/10/22 11:31 AM
12/10/22 11:31 AM
MN
W
walleye101 Offline
trapper
walleye101  Offline
trapper
W

MN
Originally Posted by KsTrapper88

[Linked Image]

Dues cannot be used towards campaigns. They raise money for that nonsense

That's interesting if true, I wonder who keeps an eye on how that money is used.

Honest question, if this is the case, why are political contributions from unions skewed so heavily toward Democrats? Don't conservative members voluntarily contribute to the PAC, or doesn't the union solicit contributions for conservative candidates and causes?

Re: Time to end labor unions [Re: danny clifton] #7739889
12/10/22 11:37 AM
12/10/22 11:37 AM
OH
Catch22 Offline
trapper
Catch22  Offline
trapper

OH
When I was in the UAW you could not earmark your donation to the PAC or CAP, the International chose where the money went and it was 100% towards Dems. Also, I was the President of our locals CAP council and seen first hand the loopholes they used to transfer dues money into the political fund.

I wonder if tap dancers walk into a room, look at the floor, and think, I'd tap that. I wonder about things.....
Re: Time to end labor unions [Re: danny clifton] #7739891
12/10/22 11:38 AM
12/10/22 11:38 AM
Indiana
P
Providence Farm Offline
trapper
Providence Farm  Offline
trapper
P

Indiana
Walleye I do not contribute to the pac because it will end up going to democrats no mater how much that's cutting our own head off. I'm also not shy about it when I'm around the head union guys.

Many unions give a small amount to some conservatives but it's an very small amount. And not worth talking about. Union leaders are lap dogs to the democrats no mater how dumb it is.

Re: Time to end labor unions [Re: danny clifton] #7739897
12/10/22 11:41 AM
12/10/22 11:41 AM
Michigan
B
BigBlackBirds Online content
trapper
BigBlackBirds  Online Content
trapper
B

Michigan
Public sector pensions plans have been in dicey shape for a long time. Many states are very much underfunded with few options to change that. Think of them like social security---at some point they'll be lucky to pay what they have essentially promised previously. Not all that surprising when we consider that its the lure of free tax payer dollars for everyone. Not sure of the current status in CA public pensions but it was comical in recent years.

Private sector pensions generally fall under one of the revised federal pension acts from 15 years ago or so. Employees or employers initially are funding pension but ultimately the pension money available to pay retirees becomes a function of investing and market returns . Take a look at who holds the major position in many publicly traded investments and it'll be pension fund. The big 2008 financial downturn had an impact on pension funding ratios and even the recent covid market dips have made a negative impact but last I read private funding was currently closer to 95% of obligations in the grand scheme of things. However, if you really dig into the data you'll find great disparity between funding level at individual companies given their business and funding strategy and also between sectors of the economy. As long as our version of free market capitalism continues, the majority of people will see a pension payment if they are still covered by a defined benefit plan

Re: Time to end labor unions [Re: danny clifton] #7739904
12/10/22 11:54 AM
12/10/22 11:54 AM
Southern Ohio
O
Ohiowoodchuck Offline
trapper
Ohiowoodchuck  Offline
trapper
O

Southern Ohio
I know when my company puts out there quarterly report the always list the cost of the pension liability. The money is locked away in an account so they can’t do nothing with it except cover the cost of the pensions for the grandfathered employees. It think this is required by law that BigBlackBirds mentioned. I believe some states took the idea from the federal government and like social security, used that money for other things then pensions and now they can’t afford to pay out what they promised.

— Thomas Paine
Page 15 of 24 1 2 13 14 15 16 17 23 24
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread