No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: How to Live On Your Own? [Re: PFC Davis] #7740753
12/11/22 11:48 AM
12/11/22 11:48 AM
St. Louis Co, Mo
B
BigBob Offline
trapper
BigBob  Offline
trapper
B

St. Louis Co, Mo
I have always managed my money and affairs so I can live on my paycheck or unemployment and still manage to put up a few bucks in the bank. This means putting up my own firewood, mostly eating what I kill or catch, staying out of bars, and don't try to keep up with your friends toy purchases. Not always the most fun, but it has it's moments, and you get used to the lifestyle. 50 yrs now and still going. Just a lot slower, LOL

Make it, make do, or do without!

Every kid needs a Dog and a Curmudgeon.

Remember Bowe Bergdahl, the traitor.

Beware! Jill Pudlewski, Ron Oates and Keven Begesse are liars and thiefs!
Re: How to Live On Your Own? [Re: KeithC] #7740761
12/11/22 11:54 AM
12/11/22 11:54 AM
MN
D
Donnersurvivor Offline
trapper
Donnersurvivor  Offline
trapper
D

MN
Originally Posted by KeithC
You could take Boco's advice and start dating Providence Farm's daughter.

Keith

Heh.

For me the key to living at home was to rarely be home. You can get a laborer job traveling that pays over $20 a hour with over $100 per diem and lots of OT. Once you start traveling the country you'll figure out what and where you want to be quickly.

Re: How to Live On Your Own? [Re: PFC Davis] #7740772
12/11/22 12:02 PM
12/11/22 12:02 PM
Green County Wisconsin
G
GREENCOUNTYPETE Offline
trapper
GREENCOUNTYPETE  Offline
trapper
G

Green County Wisconsin
if you do move out , don't let relatives fill your apartment with furniture

it has pros and cons

yes it looks like a house

downside is I moved 5 times in 5 years and in hind sight a bed , a couple good folding tables and maybe a couch. so that I could have moved it all in the bed of my truck in one trip.
it took about 3

one comfortable chair , a bed , some folding chairs and folding tables

one smart thing I did was put everything in totes that I didn't need daily I labeled them and stacked them up in the closet or corner that way I didn't have sort that stuff , just load it in the truck and toss the mattress over them and put a strap to hold it down.

make sure you have good savings you don't touch if it is possible , and learn to cook , actually cook not open a box and heat.

America only has one issue, we have a Responsibility crisis and everything else stems from it.
Re: How to Live On Your Own? [Re: PFC Davis] #7740791
12/11/22 12:26 PM
12/11/22 12:26 PM
W NY
Turtledale Offline
trapper
Turtledale  Offline
trapper

W NY
20 years old, time to man up and get out of underneath momma's skirt!
I know this isn't what you want to hear but only YOU can decide what path to take in life and how to go about it. Work hard, and be money wise and all will turn out for the good.
Many of us went to school, had a job and raised a family.
If your unhappy then change what your doing but put your nose to the grindstone. It will all turn out fine. Believe in yourself and follow your heart and the world will be yours

NYSTA, NTA, FTA, life member Erie county trappers assn.,life member Catt.county trappers
Re: How to Live On Your Own? [Re: BigBob] #7740829
12/11/22 01:15 PM
12/11/22 01:15 PM
Iowa
T
trapdog1 Offline
trapper
trapdog1  Offline
trapper
T

Iowa
Originally Posted by BigBob
I have always managed my money and affairs so I can live on my paycheck or unemployment and still manage to put up a few bucks in the bank. This means putting up my own firewood, mostly eating what I kill or catch, staying out of bars, and don't try to keep up with your friends toy purchases. Not always the most fun, but it has it's moments, and you get used to the lifestyle. 50 yrs now and still going. Just a lot slower, LOL

Make it, make do, or do without!

Also, mayonnaise is cheap and delicious.

Re: How to Live On Your Own? [Re: PFC Davis] #7740834
12/11/22 01:22 PM
12/11/22 01:22 PM
pa
H
hippie Offline
trapper
hippie  Offline
trapper
H

pa
Get your mind straight first, before you move out. Mental tuffness is required.

Re: How to Live On Your Own? [Re: PFC Davis] #7740844
12/11/22 01:34 PM
12/11/22 01:34 PM
McGrath, AK
W
white17 Offline

"General (Mr.Sunshine) Washington"
white17  Offline

W

McGrath, AK
Originally Posted by PFC Davis
I guess I forgot to add some other insight into it.
So, this past summer, I did a seasonal job that provided housing for a small sum of the paycheck and being able to buy my own groceries and what not was such a relief and nice feeling because I was actually more in control of my money when I actually had more expenses to worry about(which seems weird) and coming back home kinda threw things out a whack because I didn't have all the expenses. So long story short, Living on my own though not getting much money seemed nicer than moving back with my parents.
I'm also currently working at a tire shop working overtime and
And I do have some potential options if I do move out though it would probably need to be one of the following
Work the job I'm at and try finding a place to live/still going to college for civil engineering(with college still being completely covered)
Not go to college(due to being eliminated from eligibility/using my aid) and try to get a CDL so that I can be able to work more heavy equipment operator jobs
or go full time Guard/active army/government job
And I've considered all of them but I don't know what I should take(If I should take any)
I forgot to mention that I could technically go to college and actually get paid to go without needing to work but it would be a tight squeeze hence why I'm currently not attending classes at the moment and working overtime.

Just my opinion but if you have the opportunity and the ability to complete your education with an engineering degree and all your costs covered.........you would be foolish not to do so. To pass that up is like throwing a million bucks in future earnings down the drain for a few years of dissatisfaction living at home.

On the other hand if all you really want to do is run heavy equipment......get into an apprentice program with the Operating Engineers union near you.

Given those choices..........I know what I would choose.

Good luck

Mean As Nails
Re: How to Live On Your Own? [Re: PFC Davis] #7740855
12/11/22 01:55 PM
12/11/22 01:55 PM
wyoming southeast
D
danvee Offline
trapper
danvee  Offline
trapper
D

wyoming southeast
Save every penny you can now while you have a roof over your head. Help your parents out and talk to them about your intentions. Trade schools can be as good as college and better. Think about your future be honest with yourself and follow your dreams a wonderful life is up to you, The harder you work the better your life, You only have one life make the most of it.

Re: How to Live On Your Own? [Re: PFC Davis] #7740858
12/11/22 01:58 PM
12/11/22 01:58 PM
MN
S
Steven 49er Offline
trapper
Steven 49er  Offline
trapper
S

MN
White, did you just counsel him to work for an evil union lol.

In all seriousness a young man that isn't afraid of hard dirty work can set his own fate. Especially if you have the ability to lead and isn't afraid to travel.

Kids who say it's harder to start out now should read history. Inflation in the 70s and early 80s were on par with today.

My buddy and I were just reminiscing yesterday about when he started on the pipeline in the early 90s. He told his wife he was going to make 11 dollars an hour with lots of overtime. She said and I quote, "we are going to be rich".

PFC, you are young. Until you decide what you want to do, just work hard, work as many hours as you can and save money and avoid the debt trap.

"Inflation is always and everywhere a monetary phenomenon". Milton Friedman.
Re: How to Live On Your Own? [Re: Steven 49er] #7740863
12/11/22 02:02 PM
12/11/22 02:02 PM
McGrath, AK
W
white17 Offline

white17  Offline

W

McGrath, AK
Originally Posted by Steven 49er
White, did you just counsel him to work for an evil union lol.

In all seriousness a young man that isn't afraid of hard dirty work can set his own fate. Especially if you have the ability to lead and isn't afraid to travel.

Kids who say it's harder to start out now should read history. Inflation in the 70s and early 80s were on par with today.

My buddy and I were just reminiscing yesterday about when he started on the pipeline in the early 90s. He told his wife he was going to make 11 dollars an hour with lots of overtime. She said and I quote, "we are going to be rich".

PFC, you are young. Until you decide what you want to do, just work hard, work as many hours as you can and save money and avoid the debt trap.

I know. It was a momentary brain freeze due to low blood sugar. But he could still get the training and then go start his own NON union business
laugh

".................work as many hours as you can and save money and avoid the debt trap. Critical advice !!

Mean As Nails
Re: How to Live On Your Own? [Re: PFC Davis] #7740908
12/11/22 03:01 PM
12/11/22 03:01 PM
james bay frontierOnt.
B
Boco Offline
trapper
Boco  Offline
trapper
B

james bay frontierOnt.
I worked summers on the railroad when in high school to save money for University.
When I finished high school,I took all my saved up money and struck out on a trip to Europe.
I travelled around to different countries in Europe and lived with the people for over year.Never did the tourist thing at all.To stretch my funds I worked everywhere I went.I did all kinds of jobs,longest one was in a factory for around 6 weeks.Worked on loading docks,farms railroads brewerys,construction,sales,bartending fishing in the channel islands for day wages most of the time.met many many great people and friendships.
Best thing I ever did and made me appreciate what I had where I came from.It was by far the best education anyone can get,living and travelling,working in foreign countries and meeting people who in almost all cases go out of their way to make you feel welcome and help you land work and places to stay.
Granted the world was a much different place 50 years ago but the everyday working people are the same.
When I returned home I knew exactly what life I wanted to live and where.

I just posted this to show you that you have many options at your age.

Last edited by Boco; 12/11/22 03:05 PM.

Forget that fear of gravity-get a little savagery in your life.
Re: How to Live On Your Own? [Re: Steven 49er] #7740926
12/11/22 03:18 PM
12/11/22 03:18 PM
MN
D
Donnersurvivor Offline
trapper
Donnersurvivor  Offline
trapper
D

MN
Originally Posted by Steven 49er

In 2008 I was traveling the country working on wind turbines for 16 a hour. Absolutely brutal to get started in life around that 08 time.

Re: How to Live On Your Own? [Re: PFC Davis] #7740948
12/11/22 03:36 PM
12/11/22 03:36 PM
Near Gardiner MT
E
Elkguy Offline
trapper
Elkguy  Offline
trapper
E

Near Gardiner MT
Work hard and keep your head down and your mouth shut.

CBCS
Re: How to Live On Your Own? [Re: PFC Davis] #7740954
12/11/22 03:42 PM
12/11/22 03:42 PM
Nevada
N
nvwrangler Offline
trapper
nvwrangler  Offline
trapper
N

Nevada
Open door , step through , close door.

Re: How to Live On Your Own? [Re: PFC Davis] #7740962
12/11/22 03:55 PM
12/11/22 03:55 PM
Oakland, MS
yotetrapper30 Offline
trapper
yotetrapper30  Offline
trapper

Oakland, MS
To answer the question in the title of the post... by a lot of hard work.

I moved out on my own when I was 17. I worked 3 jobs and went to college full time. I rarely slept more than 3-4 hours a night.

On M, W, and F I had school from 7am to 4pm. On Tues, Thurs, Saturday and Sunday I worked 6am-2pm at a diner. Mon-Fri I worked 5-9pm at a different diner....it was usually slow and that's when I did most of my schoolwork. On Saturday and Sunday nights I worked as a fry cook at a bar from 5pm to 2am. I was young, and dumb, and so most nights after getting off my second job at 9pm I would go out drinking until at least midnight, sleep 3-4 hours, repeat.

I could never in a million years do that now, but I was young and honestly at the time it didn't even seem that bad. That said, if I could do it all again I would do a LOT different!

~~Proud Ultra MAGA~~
Re: How to Live On Your Own? [Re: PFC Davis] #7741001
12/11/22 04:49 PM
12/11/22 04:49 PM
North East Kansas
Marty Offline
trapper
Marty  Offline
trapper

North East Kansas
^this

E
'Honey Badger Militia'
Sleep, the anti woke adote.
Re: How to Live On Your Own? [Re: PFC Davis] #7741438
12/11/22 11:12 PM
12/11/22 11:12 PM
WI>>>MN >>>WI
T-Rex Offline
trapper
T-Rex  Offline
trapper

WI>>>MN >>>WI
I'd sure like to help, but I'm 75 and still trying to figure out what to do.

Man who mistake shillelagh for fairy wand; see pixie dust, also.
Re: How to Live On Your Own? [Re: PFC Davis] #7741500
12/12/22 12:59 AM
12/12/22 12:59 AM
East-Central Wisconsin
B
bblwi Offline
trapper
bblwi  Offline
trapper
B

East-Central Wisconsin
If you are still debating and doubting what to do and weighing your options you may not be ready yet to make the move. All the things you have mentioned and others have suggested really don't matter much if you mentally and emotionally are not ready to commit.

Bryce

Re: How to Live On Your Own? [Re: bblwi] #7741503
12/12/22 01:08 AM
12/12/22 01:08 AM
OH
Catch22 Offline
trapper
Catch22  Offline
trapper

OH
Originally Posted by bblwi
If you are still debating and doubting what to do and weighing your options you may not be ready yet to make the move. All the things you have mentioned and others have suggested really don't matter much if you mentally and emotionally are not ready to commit.

Bryce

Something I never thought I'd read. I'm not as nice as Bryce. Get off your dead (This word is unacceptable on Trapperman) and get it done. Otherwise just holler up from the basement and tell Mommy your ready for a coke and pizza rolls. Good grief.

I wonder if tap dancers walk into a room, look at the floor, and think, I'd tap that. I wonder about things.....
Re: How to Live On Your Own? [Re: HobbieTrapper] #7741504
12/12/22 01:09 AM
12/12/22 01:09 AM
Ohio
J
John Shade Offline
trapper
John Shade  Offline
trapper
J

Ohio
That’s the way I went about it. Graduated, 2 weeks later I was moved out. Had already got my bills moved over to my responsibility. Was welding at the time and my wife was a nurses aid. Was able to build a nice cushion of money, bought a house with some land, and a brand new suv at 19. I’m 22 now with two kids, a house, and my wife is able to stay at home while I work.

The biggest thing I learned, was to cut out the crap expenses. Don’t eat out, don’t subscribe to anything you don’t need, and you don’t need the latest greatest gadgets. Just live like you don’t have money

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread