No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: Do children learn much? [Re: hippie] #7832743
03/29/23 02:21 PM
03/29/23 02:21 PM
2A Sanctuaries-W. OK & N. NM
Blaine County Offline
trapper
Blaine County  Offline
trapper

Originally Posted by hippie
Mic drop...boom

Did you just call a mic drop on your own post?

Re: Do children learn much? [Re: bodycount] #7832744
03/29/23 02:23 PM
03/29/23 02:23 PM
pa
H
hippie Offline
trapper
hippie  Offline
trapper
H

pa
Yes sir ree bob.

Re: Do children learn much? [Re: bodycount] #7832746
03/29/23 02:24 PM
03/29/23 02:24 PM
Central Oregon
AntiGov Offline
trapper
AntiGov  Offline
trapper

Central Oregon
The discussion on public schools could go on for ever

I'd like someone to prove where they have improved over the years to the benefit of the students .

It's aslo definitely a prime vechile for leftist brainwashing and if you don't believe it's being used heavily to recruit troops for the libtard army , you've got your head in the sand

Report a post club - Non member

Re: Do children learn much? [Re: bodycount] #7832749
03/29/23 02:28 PM
03/29/23 02:28 PM
Wisconsin
B
Bear Tracker Offline
trapper
Bear Tracker  Offline
trapper
B

Wisconsin
Teaching is tough for may reasons. It is so easy to sit on the outside and condemn all teachers. Not all area as some of you say. My job as a teacher was to teach kids to think for themselves. Present many perspectives, facts, and research, discuss, and evaluate. Thinking is hard for many today they want someone do it for them. Teachers fill many roles today that should be done at home or in church, it is a shame.
Education is a power reserved for States, yes states rights. Disband the Federal Department of Education would be a huge step in fixing public education problems.

Last edited by Bear Tracker; 03/29/23 02:30 PM.
Re: Do children learn much? [Re: AntiGov] #7832752
03/29/23 02:32 PM
03/29/23 02:32 PM
NC - Here there and everywhere
C
coondagger2 Offline
"Brat"
coondagger2  Offline
"Brat"
C

Originally Posted by AntiGov
I'd like someone to prove where they have improved over the years to the benefit of the students .

Easy. Here you go

https://ncmca.com/masory-pre-apprenticeship/

This is a program that my dad develop and worked with our reps in DC to get it passed. A masonry apprenticeship program that gives students class credit for working. Their pay now starts at $15 per hour. If they complete the program it allows them to graduate early and they are guaranteed a full time job when they graduate. Most of the time when they graduate they are being paid well over $20 per hour. It is a great program promoting more trade work filling a large gap in North Carolina

There are many similar programs for other trades as well. My dad is a redneck brick layer. If he can go to DC and talk to reps to get initiatives like this going then you can too.

Gotta live up to the nickname...
Re: Do children learn much? [Re: bodycount] #7832760
03/29/23 02:46 PM
03/29/23 02:46 PM
La Crosse, WI
Macthediver Offline
trapper
Macthediver  Offline
trapper

La Crosse, WI
I was talking with my 30 year old niece recently. She teaches 3rd grade in fairly big school system. She told me that she spends so much of her time with kids with things they should have been taught at home. What the system says a third grader should already know. Hard to teach reading when the kids don't have the social skills to learn.

Mac

"Never Forget Which Way Is Up"

Re: Do children learn much? [Re: Blaine County] #7832765
03/29/23 02:51 PM
03/29/23 02:51 PM
Maine, Aroostook
Posco Offline
trapper
Posco  Offline
trapper

Maine, Aroostook
Originally Posted by Blaine County
Plus, every home schooled person I have ever met is weird. There is a spectrum of weirdness, but all of them have been on it. Some are flat out WEIRD.

Most of the homeschooled kids I know didn't have to attend class wondering if their peers were going to open fire on them. Missed out on all that socialization.

Re: Do children learn much? [Re: bodycount] #7832770
03/29/23 02:59 PM
03/29/23 02:59 PM
Iowa
~ADC~ Offline
The Count
~ADC~  Offline
The Count

Iowa
If your kids aren't good kids it's your fault, not the schools they go to. If you can not raise a decent human being who is a productive member of society its on you. Blaming the schools because you can't do it is asinine.

Re: Do children learn much? [Re: Posco] #7832774
03/29/23 03:02 PM
03/29/23 03:02 PM
Blaine County Offline
trapper
Blaine County  Offline
trapper

Originally Posted by Posco
Originally Posted by Blaine County
Plus, every home schooled person I have ever met is weird. There is a spectrum of weirdness, but all of them have been on it. Some are flat out WEIRD.

Most of the homeschooled kids I know didn't have to attend class wondering if their peers were going to open fire on them. Missed out on all that socialization.

Red herring alert. But guess what? There are homeschooled killers too. https://www.hsinvisiblechildren.org/when-homeschoolers-turn-violent/

I didn't read the whole site but there are some screwed up stories of homeschooled kids going off the rails. And crappy parents.

Re: Do children learn much? [Re: bodycount] #7832775
03/29/23 03:06 PM
03/29/23 03:06 PM
New York border
Cragar Offline
trapper
Cragar  Offline
trapper

New York border
This is the result of public schools........ laugh

NRA benefactor member
Re: Do children learn much? [Re: bodycount] #7832777
03/29/23 03:11 PM
03/29/23 03:11 PM
Ontario, Canada
S
slydogx Offline
trapper
slydogx  Offline
trapper
S

Ontario, Canada
I think both sides are over simplifying the issues here. As with most things, private vs public education is not a zero sum game.

I am sure that the quality of public school education is vastly different from one school or school district to another. Some schools will have aggressive HR policies to hire and retain high quality, skilled teachers. Some schools will be underfunded, dangerous or infected with the taint of leftist ideology (for which there is likely widespread community support OR apathy... both just as bad).
I have met homeschooled individuals who excel in all aspects of life. They are exceptional and their parents were dedicated and made providing quality education to their children a priority. They function normally in social and business settings... no weirdness.
I have met homeschooled individuals that where failed by their parents and will never achieve or amount to much. I have met people educated in public schools who where failed by the state and will be a burden to society forever.

Just happy to be here.
Re: Do children learn much? [Re: bodycount] #7832778
03/29/23 03:12 PM
03/29/23 03:12 PM
SW Georgia
W
Wanna Be Offline
trapper
Wanna Be  Offline
trapper
W

SW Georgia
That’s an interesting observation that they are weird. What percentage of children have you met that were homeschooled? Guess I haven’t met the threshold you have. Most I’ve met were extremely smart and very well mannered. The boys were some serious outdoorsmen as well. I guess when you can get your school work done by noon every day, that leaves a lot of time to spend in the woods and practicing with weapons. If there was a homeschooled killer, they’d have a serious body count, those boys could shoot.
Most homeschooled kids I knew could also play sports at their local school and even started.

Re: Do children learn much? [Re: Posco] #7832779
03/29/23 03:14 PM
03/29/23 03:14 PM
C
coondagger2 Offline
"Brat"
coondagger2  Offline
"Brat"
C

Originally Posted by Posco

It wasn't until I got to college that I had to worry about being shot at. A guy walked in and killed two people in the same building I was in and injured 4. One of the kids that died lived 10 minutes from my home town. Sending your kid to private school k-12 won't protect them in college

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2019_University_of_North_Carolina_at_Charlotte_shooting

Gotta live up to the nickname...
Re: Do children learn much? [Re: ~ADC~] #7832782
03/29/23 03:30 PM
03/29/23 03:30 PM
W NY
Turtledale Offline
trapper
Turtledale  Offline
trapper

W NY
Wasn't the last school shooting in Tennessee by the he/she/it thing a private school?
Originally Posted by ~ADC~
If your kids aren't good kids it's your fault, not the schools they go to. If you can not raise a decent human being who is a productive member of society its on you. Blaming the schools because you can't do it is asinine.

Yep what ADC said

NYSTA, NTA, FTA, life member Erie county trappers assn.,life member Catt.county trappers
Re: Do children learn much? [Re: bodycount] #7832786
03/29/23 03:34 PM
03/29/23 03:34 PM
pa
H
hippie Offline
trapper
hippie  Offline
trapper
H

pa
Colleges can't hardly schedule a conservative speaker anymore because of the backlash like was displayed recently at Stanford when a federal judge was invited

These students didn't learn to hate conservatives to the point of running him off in the couple years that they've been out of highschool.

Think a little about what's going on today, not how it was in the past!

Re: Do children learn much? [Re: hippie] #7832807
03/29/23 04:16 PM
03/29/23 04:16 PM
East-Central Wisconsin
B
bblwi Offline
trapper
bblwi  Offline
trapper
B

East-Central Wisconsin
Today's youth are learning much, much more than those of us who were in school 60 years ago. Their need to know all that has and is changing is taxing for sure but I am not worried about our future from a lack of education. I am more concerned about those who are unable or unwilling to learn those academic, social and hands on skills neccessary to be contributing citizens. yes we see a lot more home schooling and it makes a lot of practical sense now with millions of parents working from home and also having very flexible work schedules and schools, many public schools offering E-schooling to help meet the needs of the changing culture.

Bryce

Re: Do children learn much? [Re: bodycount] #7832833
03/29/23 05:07 PM
03/29/23 05:07 PM
South Dakota
R
Rat Masterson Offline
trapper
Rat Masterson  Offline
trapper
R

South Dakota
What is it 80% of inner city school kids can't read or do math. That's on the parents? Teachers union has ruined the school system IMO.

Re: Do children learn much? [Re: bodycount] #7832840
03/29/23 05:17 PM
03/29/23 05:17 PM
Northern MN
A
atrapper Offline
trapper
atrapper  Offline
trapper
A

Northern MN
Some really good perspectives and thoughts on this topic. Everyone responds to the perpetual public school/private/homeschool discussion based on their personal experiences. One thing that's always very quickly apparent are the opinions of those posters that have or haven't recently stepped into a school in the past year, 5 years, or 10 years. I'm amazed how much information people know about what's being taught or not being taught in schools without ever stepping foot into a classroom and hearing/seeing it with their own eyes. Public schools are public.....volunteer to help out at a school, observe, go to a school board meeting, school activity, etc. and see for yourself what's happening versus what the rumor is at morning coffee or what a sister's friend's nephew's kids said his teacher is teaching him. Another fascinating observation is the fact that so many people believe our public schools are a complete institute of indoctrination. Is it illegal for a republican to apply for and get a teaching job at a public school? If dumbocrats are destroying our school and brainwashing our children, why don't conservatives step up and do the brainwashing for their cause?

Saying that public schools, private schools, or homeschooling are better or worse than each other doesn't make sense. There are too many variables. For some students, homeschooling is the way to go. For others, they will find the most success at a public school. Personality, support from home, geographic location, etc. etc. are all factors among others that dictate what's going to work best for a student.

Re: Do children learn much? [Re: Rat Masterson] #7832871
03/29/23 06:01 PM
03/29/23 06:01 PM
Iowa
~ADC~ Offline
The Count
~ADC~  Offline
The Count

Iowa
Originally Posted by Rat Masterson
What is it 80% of inner city school kids can't read or do math. That's on the parents? Teachers union has ruined the school system IMO.

You dang right it's on the parents or like lack of parents. How are kids going to learn in that environment created by disrespectful little brats. The teachers hands are tied by the government. They cannot do anything to the kids and can not remove them from the school. No child left behind you know.

Re: Do children learn much? [Re: bodycount] #7832929
03/29/23 07:23 PM
03/29/23 07:23 PM
Oakland, MS
yotetrapper30 Offline
trapper
yotetrapper30  Offline
trapper

Oakland, MS
I don't know why this is such a debate. If you want to send your kids to public school, do so. If you want to send your kids to private school, do so. If you want to homeschool, do so. This is America and thankfully we have the options and rights to do any of the three.

Personally, if I had kids, they would 100% be home schooled. They would also be socialized through things like 4H, FFA, little league sports, etc. There are also more and more homeschool groups, where you have the option of sending your kids to various houses on different days of the week to learn different subjects. I.E. one parent teaches math, another science, and so on. That way they get socialized and it lessens the load on the parents.

~~Proud Ultra MAGA~~
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread