No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Re: Christianity and magic [Re: .204] #7945847
09/07/23 07:35 AM
09/07/23 07:35 AM
MN
S
Steven 49er Online content
trapper
Steven 49er  Online Content
trapper
S

MN
Originally Posted by .204
Take your pick Danny. It all started from somewhere. If you claim everything just popped into existence from nothing, then you truly believe in magic.

How ironic.

"Inflation is always and everywhere a monetary phenomenon". Milton Friedman.
Re: Christianity and magic [Re: danny clifton] #7945852
09/07/23 07:41 AM
09/07/23 07:41 AM
Maine, Aroostook
Posco Offline
trapper
Posco  Offline
trapper

Maine, Aroostook
Originally Posted by danny clifton
critical thinking must then conclude a creator sprang from nothing

I've never gone through life not thinking. Is there a switch that gets thrown that takes a person from average everyday thinking to this mystical level of thought?

Re: Christianity and magic [Re: danny clifton] #7945877
09/07/23 08:37 AM
09/07/23 08:37 AM
Alaska and Washington State
W
waggler Offline
trapper
waggler  Offline
trapper
W

Or always was.

People can't even grasp the physical -time, space, etc.- how do you think they can even begin to comprehend the spiritual?

"My life is better than your vacation"
Re: Christianity and magic [Re: Wolfdog91] #7945890
09/07/23 09:32 AM
09/07/23 09:32 AM
MN, Land of 10,000 Lakes
T
Trapper7 Offline
trapper
Trapper7  Offline
trapper
T

MN, Land of 10,000 Lakes
There are some who are subject to the understanding that if they can't comprehend or see something, it can't be true.

The difference between animals and humans is that animals would never let the dumbest ones lead the pack.
Re: Christianity and magic [Re: Wolfdog91] #7946009
09/07/23 01:17 PM
09/07/23 01:17 PM
Flint Hills, KS
J
jht Offline
trapper
jht  Offline
trapper
J

Flint Hills, KS
*Brief side-note for the Christians before I dive in to what I really want to say: The Bible begins with two creation narratives, neither of which begins with "nothing". The first begins with God's spirit over dark abysmal water and the second with a dry parched desert. I don't think this addresses the something from nothing debate...

For what it's worth, and even though it may frustrate some of my fellow Christians, James and Danny are thinking logically (seems to me they usually do). There's no need to think they are uninformed or unintelligent. Humans do not have any way to prove or disprove any theories about the ultimate origin of the universe. They've looked at the evidence and come to one conclusion, other people come to other conclusions. It's fun to discuss, but the bottom line is that nobody can be 100% certain. This leads me to think there are only two options that people have on this matter: faith (in an explanation of any kind - "religious" or "scientific" - both have limits) or agnosticism. Either you can't know, but you are willing to commit to a system of belief anyway, or you can't know, so you are unwilling to commit to any system of belief. This, I think, is the most basic dichotomy there is when it comes to philosophical knowledge of the ultimate origin and meaning of the universe (rather than Christian vs. non-Christian or theist vs. atheist). However, boots-on-the-ground, everyone operates within a basic working theory of the nature of existence. We all have some sense of how we got to where we are; we have some ideas about what is right and wrong; we all have a sense that there are things in the world that are not good, so we do the things we think will decrease the bad and increase the good. I think this is an innate property that humans have, I also think it constitutes a system of belief even if it does not address the ultimate questions. This is where I disagree with James about the definition of religion. James's definition seems to be merely a belief in the supernatural, and I think that's a fairly standard understanding of religion in our culture. Fair enough. However, I think we could define religion like this: any system of belief that results in practice and ritual. Maybe that's too broad for some of you, but I think it's fair too. It acknowledges that we all are ultimately ignorant, but we all find ways to explain our lives anyway, and our explanations determine what we do and how we act.

Thus, even if our belief system doesn't address the ultimate, we still live out of practical religions. Religious systems (under my definition) that don't work out the cosmic/ultimate issues still ascribe cosmic/ultimate value to something (this is called worship). They just give that ultimate value to something less cosmic - perhaps the self (the ultimate goal being to maximize pleasure and minimize pain for myself and ultimate sin/injustice is any pain or limitation that is place on me). Another common option is to give ultimate value to a political system or ideology. Here the bad guys are the ones who disagree with our political ideas, and they must be eliminated or converted so that we can have a good world. This one is super-common nowadays. It's why people like James and Blaine County get so much flak around here. They don't worship the same god as the politically religious here do. Rather than engaging in thoughtful discussion, dissenters are demonized and cast out because they do not worship what is (obviously) ultimately and universally good.

Anyway, I was hoping to say more about magic, but I'm running out of time. Maybe I'll do it later if the conversation is still going. For now, I'll just say that the videos on magic and angels/demons seems to be working with a late medieval understanding of magic and religion. I consider myself a Christian, and, therefore, I try to use the Bible as the ultimate reference for these kinds of questions. Many of the ideas presented, though popular in our cultural understanding of "Christian religion", aren't really Biblical ideas. Or if they are Biblical ideas, they are viewed through a lens that is a medieval version of greco-roman philosophy when they ought to be viewed in an ancient Jewish context. There's more to discuss especially as it relates to Clarke's third law...

Re: Christianity and magic [Re: jht] #7946030
09/07/23 01:51 PM
09/07/23 01:51 PM
Central montana
.204 Offline
trapper
.204  Offline
trapper

Central montana
Originally Posted by jht
*Brief side-note for the Christians before I dive in to what I really want to say: The Bible begins with two creation narratives, neither of which begins with "nothing". The first begins with God's spirit over dark abysmal water and the second with a dry parched desert. I don't think this addresses the something from nothing debate...

For what it's worth, and even though it may frustrate some of my fellow Christians, James and Danny are thinking logically (seems to me they usually do). There's no need to think they are uninformed or unintelligent. Humans do not have any way to prove or disprove any theories about the ultimate origin of the universe. They've looked at the evidence and come to one conclusion, other people come to other conclusions. It's fun to discuss, but the bottom line is that nobody can be 100% certain. This leads me to think there are only two options that people have on this matter: faith (in an explanation of any kind - "religious" or "scientific" - both have limits) or agnosticism. Either you can't know, but you are willing to commit to a system of belief anyway, or you can't know, so you are unwilling to commit to any system of belief. This, I think, is the most basic dichotomy there is when it comes to philosophical knowledge of the ultimate origin and meaning of the universe (rather than Christian vs. non-Christian or theist vs. atheist). However, boots-on-the-ground, everyone operates within a basic working theory of the nature of existence. We all have some sense of how we got to where we are; we have some ideas about what is right and wrong; we all have a sense that there are things in the world that are not good, so we do the things we think will decrease the bad and increase the good. I think this is an innate property that humans have, I also think it constitutes a system of belief even if it does not address the ultimate questions. This is where I disagree with James about the definition of religion. James's definition seems to be merely a belief in the supernatural, and I think that's a fairly standard understanding of religion in our culture. Fair enough. However, I think we could define religion like this: any system of belief that results in practice and ritual. Maybe that's too broad for some of you, but I think it's fair too. It acknowledges that we all are ultimately ignorant, but we all find ways to explain our lives anyway, and our explanations determine what we do and how we act.

Thus, even if our belief system doesn't address the ultimate, we still live out of practical religions. Religious systems (under my definition) that don't work out the cosmic/ultimate issues still ascribe cosmic/ultimate value to something (this is called worship). They just give that ultimate value to something less cosmic - perhaps the self (the ultimate goal being to maximize pleasure and minimize pain for myself and ultimate sin/injustice is any pain or limitation that is place on me). Another common option is to give ultimate value to a political system or ideology. Here the bad guys are the ones who disagree with our political ideas, and they must be eliminated or converted so that we can have a good world. This one is super-common nowadays. It's why people like James and Blaine County get so much flak around here. They don't worship the same god as the politically religious here do. Rather than engaging in thoughtful discussion, dissenters are demonized and cast out because they do not worship what is (obviously) ultimately and universally good.

Anyway, I was hoping to say more about magic, but I'm running out of time. Maybe I'll do it later if the conversation is still going. For now, I'll just say that the videos on magic and angels/demons seems to be working with a late medieval understanding of magic and religion. I consider myself a Christian, and, therefore, I try to use the Bible as the ultimate reference for these kinds of questions. Many of the ideas presented, though popular in our cultural understanding of "Christian religion", aren't really Biblical ideas. Or if they are Biblical ideas, they are viewed through a lens that is a medieval version of greco-roman philosophy when they ought to be viewed in an ancient Jewish context. There's more to discuss especially as it relates to Clarke's third law...

The Bible in Genesis 1 says that " in the beginning God created the heavens and the earth.
The Hebrew word for created is Bara. It means basically that God created what he created from nothing.

And as it is appointed unto men once to die, but after this the judgement!
Re: Christianity and magic [Re: Wolfdog91] #7946292
09/07/23 09:05 PM
09/07/23 09:05 PM
Oklahoma
Ken Smith Offline
trapper
Ken Smith  Offline
trapper

Oklahoma
Yes if there were limits to or how God created something he wouldn't be God

Pondering the origin of God or debating the existence defeats the purpose of faith. Every man walking agnostic or religious knows that something created this wondrous place we call Earth

And the bible says that every man is without excuse being able to see

Romans 1:16-22 KJV
For I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; to the Jew first, and also to the Greek. [17] For therein is the righteousness of God revealed from faith to faith: as it is written, The just shall live by faith. [18] For the wrath of God is revealed from heaven against all ungodliness and unrighteousness of men, who hold the truth in unrighteousness; [19] Because that which may be known of God is manifest in them; for God hath shewed it unto them. [20] For the invisible things of him from the creation of the world are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made, even his eternal power and Godhead; so that they are without excuse: [21] Because that, when they knew God, they glorified him not as God, neither were thankful; but became vain in their imaginations, and their foolish heart was darkened. [22] Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools,

Verse 20 clearly teaches that creation is understood by the things that are made even his eternal godhead. So everyone that chooses not to believe in God is without excuse when they end up in H3||

Matthew 7:6 KJV
Give not that which is holy unto the dogs, neither cast ye your pearls before swine....
-OFBA, NTA, FTA, TTFHA-
Re: Christianity and magic [Re: jht] #7946389
09/07/23 11:36 PM
09/07/23 11:36 PM
Central Texas
C
Chancey Offline
trapper
Chancey  Offline
trapper
C

Central Texas
Originally Posted by jht

Interesting take.

What happens when the world gets so backwards that what one person thinks is bad, others think is good, and vice versa? That is where we are now.

Resident Conspiracy Theorist
Accused Moron, Nazi, Low IQ, and Putin Fan Boy
Re: Christianity and magic [Re: Wolfdog91] #7946395
09/07/23 11:56 PM
09/07/23 11:56 PM
W
waggler Offline
trapper
waggler  Offline
trapper
W

^^^^^
Isaiah 5:20 Woe to those who call evil good and good evil,...

God allows people to lose their minds.

Romans chapter 1
21 For although they knew God, they neither glorified him as God nor gave thanks to him, but their thinking became futile and their foolish hearts were darkened. 22 Although they claimed to be wise, they became fools 23 and exchanged the glory of the immortal God for images made to look like a mortal human being and birds and animals and reptiles.

24 Therefore God gave them over in the sinful desires of their hearts to sexual impurity for the degrading of their bodies with one another. 25 They exchanged the truth about God for a lie, and worshiped and served created things rather than the Creator—who is forever praised. Amen.

26 Because of this, God gave them over to shameful lusts. Even their women exchanged natural sexual relations for unnatural ones. 27 In the same way the men also abandoned natural relations with women and were inflamed with lust for one another. Men committed shameful acts with other men, and received in themselves the due penalty for their error.

28 Furthermore, just as they did not think it worthwhile to retain the knowledge of God, so God gave them over to a depraved mind, so that they do what ought not to be done.

"My life is better than your vacation"
Re: Christianity and magic [Re: Chancey] #7946655
09/08/23 01:45 PM
09/08/23 01:45 PM
Flint Hills, KS
J
jht Offline
trapper
jht  Offline
trapper
J

Flint Hills, KS
Originally Posted by Chancey
What happens when the world gets so backwards that what one person thinks is bad, others think is good, and vice versa? That is where we are now.

Good question! I think this is actually one of the central questions that the Bible is trying to teach us about. Yes, it's where we are now, but it's where we've been forever. Reading the Old Testament will show you that, but, as waggler pointed out (thank you, sir), Paul summarizes it well in the beginning of his letter to the Romans. Although, I think I would have begun quoting at verse 18: "The wrath of God is revealed from Heaven against all ungodliness (the Greek asebeia means irreverence, not sinfulness - it means not giving ultimate honor to what actually deserves it - it's idolatry) and unrighteousness (this is sin - when you mess up the world as a result of the aforementioned idolatry). Contrary to what you may hear about the Christian story, the primary problem with our world is not sin. It's idolatry. It's giving ultimate value, authority, and allegiance to anything that is not God. Sin is the result of idolatry. Our worship of things that are less than God gives those things power over us, and our sin holds us enslaved to those powers - and makes us agents of those powers. The purpose of human life in the Christian worldview is to be agents of God; that's what it would mean to be a true human. Idolatry means we are unable to fulfill our vocational role, that we are enslaved to foreign powers, and that we become something less than human. The end goal of Christian life then isn't "going to Heaven when you die" but being an agent of Heaven on Earth now. This happens through the forgiveness of sins so that we can cast away our idols and become true image-of-God human beings. I'm getting preachy, and I could go on for a while. I will if provoked (so watch out!), but I won't right now. Your Bible tells the story.

Re: Christianity and magic [Re: Wolfdog91] #7946660
09/08/23 01:53 PM
09/08/23 01:53 PM
Oklahoma
Ken Smith Offline
trapper
Ken Smith  Offline
trapper

Oklahoma
No new thing under the sun

Give not that which is holy unto the dogs, neither cast ye your pearls before swine....
-OFBA, NTA, FTA, TTFHA-
Re: Christianity and magic [Re: Chancey] #7946751
09/08/23 04:26 PM
09/08/23 04:26 PM
PA
P
PAskinner Offline
trapper
PAskinner  Offline
trapper
P

PA
He is a loving God, and He loves us dearly. However, he ain't our buddy or our friend IMO, but rather a loving Fatehr; He is the Lord God Almighty and He deserves our worship and respect.

God did want us all to believe the same and know the Truth. That's why He sent His only son down here to prove it via Jesus' sacrifice on the Cross. Even though that is the most documented death and eyewitness account in written history, many still don't believe it, or find fault in it.

Um. Jesus did say that he calls his followers friends. It's not an either/ or.

Right now I’m having amnesia and déjà vu at the same time. I think I’ve forgotten this before.
Re: Christianity and magic [Re: danny clifton] #7946758
09/08/23 04:38 PM
09/08/23 04:38 PM
PA
P
PAskinner Offline
trapper
PAskinner  Offline
trapper
P

PA

Classic mistake: assuming an eternal being had a beginning.

Right now I’m having amnesia and déjà vu at the same time. I think I’ve forgotten this before.
Re: Christianity and magic [Re: Wolfdog91] #7946818
09/08/23 06:27 PM
09/08/23 06:27 PM
williamsburg ks
D
danny clifton Offline
"Grumpy Old Man"
danny clifton  Offline
"Grumpy Old Man"
D

williamsburg ks
I dont think time is linear

Those who would give up essential liberty, to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790)
Re: Christianity and magic [Re: PAskinner] #7946854
09/08/23 08:16 PM
09/08/23 08:16 PM
Oklahoma
Ken Smith Offline
trapper
Ken Smith  Offline
trapper

Oklahoma
Originally Posted by PAskinner

Amen

-OFBA, NTA, FTA, TTFHA-
Re: Christianity and magic [Re: Wolfdog91] #7946855
09/08/23 08:17 PM
09/08/23 08:17 PM
Oklahoma
Ken Smith Offline
trapper
Ken Smith  Offline
trapper

Oklahoma
The term from everlasting to everlasting rings a bell

-OFBA, NTA, FTA, TTFHA-
Re: Christianity and magic [Re: danny clifton] #7946857
09/08/23 08:19 PM
09/08/23 08:19 PM
North central Iowa
B
Bob_Iowa Offline
trapper
Bob_Iowa  Offline
trapper
B

North central Iowa
I dont think time is linear

Do you believe in the special theory of relativity then Danny?

Last edited by Bob_Iowa; 09/08/23 09:17 PM. Reason: Wrong theory
Re: Christianity and magic [Re: PAskinner] #7946881
09/08/23 09:04 PM
09/08/23 09:04 PM
ND
grumley701 Offline
trapper
grumley701  Offline
trapper

ND
Originally Posted by PAskinner

We wrap our world view in what we are familiar with...

Pure Blood
Re: Christianity and magic [Re: Blaine County] #7946885
09/08/23 09:09 PM
09/08/23 09:09 PM
WI
M
Mando Offline
trapper
Mando  Offline
trapper
M

WI
Originally Posted by Blaine County
It was interesting. Some of the Tman crew will bust a spring if they watch it. Or just rip on us Catholics.

You mean the catholic cult? Lol

Re: Christianity and magic [Re: Chancey] #7946886
09/08/23 09:11 PM
09/08/23 09:11 PM
WI
M
Mando Offline
trapper
Mando  Offline
trapper
M

WI
I actually think unicorns probably did exist at one time; as well as centaurs, minotaurs, etc.

Now whether there are unicorns hiding amongst the sequoias, I don't know.

They do exist. Chuck Norris eats them because he likes his steak rare.

Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread