No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
New Interesting Genealogy Connection... #8114589
04/04/24 08:57 PM
04/04/24 08:57 PM
Newark, Ohio 83 years
Actor Offline OP
trapper
Actor  Offline OP
trapper

Newark, Ohio 83 years
I have said on here before that I was proud to have had Daniel Boone as a 1 cousin, 8 times removed, Now I recently discovered that I had David "Davy" Crockett as 2nd cousin, 5 times removed. Davy was from my father's side of my family and Daniel was from mother's side.

I also found that Col. William Barrett Travis 5th cousin, 3 times removed, and Lt. James Butler Bonham a 3rc cousin, 5 times removed, died with Davy Crockett at the Alamo. Travis was the Commander at the Alamo. Both of men were also from my father's side of the family. One of Bonham's brothers was also an early Governor of South Carolina as well as a Confederate General during that war.

Garry-

“Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he'll just kill you.”

Have been trapping 77 years…
Re: New Interesting Genealogy Connection... [Re: Actor] #8114608
04/04/24 09:24 PM
04/04/24 09:24 PM
Georgia
warrior Online content
trapper
warrior  Online Content
trapper

Georgia
Interesting.

I'm sure that if I dug deep enough that I'd find a link to Travis as well, by marriage most likely to his wife, seeing as he was a resident of Clarke county Alabama and abandoned his wife there to go to Texas.

I'm related by blood or marriage to that entire county.

[Linked Image]
Re: New Interesting Genealogy Connection... [Re: Actor] #8114634
04/04/24 09:54 PM
04/04/24 09:54 PM
Alaska and Washington State
W
waggler Offline
trapper
waggler  Offline
trapper
W

Alaska and Washington State
My only claim to fame is a relative who invented the screw propeller. A long dead Swede.

"My life is better than your vacation"
Re: New Interesting Genealogy Connection... [Re: Actor] #8114650
04/04/24 10:19 PM
04/04/24 10:19 PM
Champaign County, Ohio.
K
KeithC Offline
trapper
KeithC  Offline
trapper
K

Champaign County, Ohio.
I think a pretty high number of people who died at the Alamo were cousins of mine. I had well over 300 ancestors in the US before 1700 and thousands of relatives, including 9 Mayflower pilgrims and a high percentage of Jamestown settlers, the first of who arrived in 1607.

Relationship to Colonel Daniel Morgan Boone
The husband of my 7th cousin six times removed

Relationship to Col. William Barret Travis
The husband of my 7th cousin seven times removed

Relationship to Capt. James Butler Bonham
My 7th cousin six times removed

Keith

Re: New Interesting Genealogy Connection... [Re: KeithC] #8114662
04/04/24 10:36 PM
04/04/24 10:36 PM
Newark, Ohio 83 years
Actor Offline OP
trapper
Actor  Offline OP
trapper

Newark, Ohio 83 years
Originally Posted by KeithC
I think a pretty high number of people who died at the Alamo were cousins of mine. I had well over 300 ancestors in the US before 1700 and thousands of relatives, including 9 Mayflower pilgrims and a high percentage of Jamestown settlers, the first of who.arrived in 1609.

Relationship to Colonel Daniel Morgan Boone
The husband of my 7th cousin six times removed

Relationship to Col. William Barret Travis
The husband of my 7th cousin seven times removed

Relationship to Capt. James Butler Bonham
My 7th cousin six times removed

Keith

Well, Keith... I am positive if you are related the last 3 you mentioned we were most definitely related. I too have 5 or 6 Mayflower person... Bonham is one of my main lines on my dad' side of the family, right to the present day.

I have really tried checking any of the Jamestown folks... might do that sometime when I am more awake. Bedtime for me now.

But I certainly know that we both had many people that built this country and helped make it what it was when it was great. Most of them had to deal with what they called Heathens (The Indians) and today we have to deal with the Heathens we call (Liberal Progressives)>

Garry-

“Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he'll just kill you.”

Have been trapping 77 years…
Re: New Interesting Genealogy Connection... [Re: Actor] #8114672
04/04/24 11:06 PM
04/04/24 11:06 PM
ny
U
upstateNY Offline
trapper
upstateNY  Offline
trapper
U

ny
Me and Elvis went to different schools together.

the wheels of the gods turn very slowly
Re: New Interesting Genealogy Connection... [Re: Actor] #8114676
04/04/24 11:21 PM
04/04/24 11:21 PM
Lakeland,Minnesota
B
Bogmaster Offline
trapper
Bogmaster  Offline
trapper
B

Lakeland,Minnesota
The first 2 females off the mayflower are related to my mothers side of the family. Not going to try and figure out what number cousin or how many times they are removed from me,
Tom

If my feet aren't wet,I must not be trapping.
Tom Olson
MTA life member#100,also WTA life member
Re: New Interesting Genealogy Connection... [Re: Actor] #8114683
04/04/24 11:29 PM
04/04/24 11:29 PM
Green County Wisconsin
G
GREENCOUNTYPETE Offline
trapper
GREENCOUNTYPETE  Offline
trapper
G

Green County Wisconsin
very cool
I only have one revolutionary war relative I am aware of John Walker aid to Gorge Washington , delegate to the second continental congress and Senator from Virginia 1790.

America only has one issue, we have a Responsibility crisis and everything else stems from it.
Re: New Interesting Genealogy Connection... [Re: Actor] #8114689
04/04/24 11:40 PM
04/04/24 11:40 PM
Champaign County, Ohio.
K
KeithC Offline
trapper
KeithC  Offline
trapper
K

Champaign County, Ohio.
Garry, you got me interested in finding a tool on Family Search to make finding information relatives who died in American mass deaths, battles and disasters. I found one.

https://www.familysearch.org/en/cem...e=&regionId=&siteName=&zoom=

Keith

Re: New Interesting Genealogy Connection... [Re: Actor] #8114704
04/05/24 12:36 AM
04/05/24 12:36 AM
Champaign County, Ohio.
K
KeithC Offline
trapper
KeithC  Offline
trapper
K

Champaign County, Ohio.
I think all American children should be extremely well versed in American history, all of it the good, the great, the bad and the ugly. The liberals hate teaching the good and great parts of American history. Knowing what their ancestors did makes children love America more and feel connected to our country. For instance knowing that while Fort McHenry was being bombarded, as Francis Scott Key watched and was motivated to write our National Anthem, General George Armistead, my 8th cousin six times removed, was in charge of the defense and that one of my many great uncles was one of the four men to die there, literally on the battlements under the rockets red glare and bombs bursting in air, makes our Anthem of even greater importance to me.

Keith

Re: New Interesting Genealogy Connection... [Re: Actor] #8114711
04/05/24 03:56 AM
04/05/24 03:56 AM
Champaign County, Ohio.
K
KeithC Offline
trapper
KeithC  Offline
trapper
K

Champaign County, Ohio.
Garry, you are my 11th cousin once removed

I think our closest shared ancestors on your dad's side are:

Relationship to Capt. Roger Smith
My 11th great-grandfather

Capt. Roger Smith
Male
about 1572 – after 30 November 1629
•
LC8G-43C

And his wife:

Relationship to Joane Pierce
My 11th great-grandmother

Joane Pierce
Female
1603 – 1635
•
L5T1-JVH

Roger Smith was an English soldier, adventurer, and colonist in Early Virginia. His date of birth is not known. He served for about 13 years in the British military and in 1592 was in command of a company of infantry under Sir Francis Vere in 'the Low Country' (Netherlands, Belgium, Luxemburge). This rules out the popular birth dates for him of 1587 or 1585 for if born then he would not be old enough to command soldiers in 1592.
Roger Smith first sailed to the Virginia colony in 1616, he stayed for 3 years before returning to England in 1619. In February 1621 he sailed again for Virginia, supplied by the Virginia Company and in command of '50 persons now transported to Virginia to be tenants upon the Company's land'. On July 24 1621 he was appointed as a member of the Governor's Council. The Council was a group of about 12 of the colonies most prominent men, responsible for executive, legislative, and judicial duties through out the colony. Members were appointed for life. On March 22, 1622 the Powhatan Confederacy attacked the entire colony of Virginia killing 347 people including 5 of Smith's men. After the attacks all settlers were withdrawn to a select few fortified locations. The Muster of 1623 found Roger Smith living at West and Shirley Hundred Island, newly married to Joane Pierce Rolfe, the widow of John Rolfe, with them were her young daughter Elizabeth Rolfe, and Sarah Maycock a young orphan from the Massacre that Roger and Jane adopted. By 1625 the family was living in James City but Smith also owned 96 acres at Archer's Hope. Sometime after 1625 Roger and Joane added 2 sons to their family: John and Francis.
Y
Capt. William Pierce
Male
1580–1641
•
LJ2G-45H

Joan Phippen
Female
1580–1660
•
LH2L-X71
Marriage
England

Children (2)

Joane Pierce
Female
1603–1635
•
L5T1-JVH

Joane Pierce was the daughter of Captain William Pierce and his wife Joan. Born in England between 1587 and 1595, she immigrated to the Colony of Virginia in 1609. Her exact date of birth and death are not known with certainty.
Joane sailed from England on June 2 1609 with her mother Joan Pierce aboard the ship 'Blessing'. Her father Captain William Pierce set sail at the same time aboard the newly christened flagship 'Sea Venture'. They were part of the ill fated 'Third Supply' to Jamestown. The fleet encountered a storm at sea and became separated from the Sea Venture. The Blessing arrived in Jamestown on August 11, 1609. The Sea Venture, with Joane's father aboard never arrived, lost to the storm with the majority of the supplies meant to restock Jamestown.
Joane and her mother did not have time to grieve the loss of William Pierce. With the loss of the supplies aboard the Sea Venture, Jamestown was in dire straights with out enough food to get the colony through the winter. The ships were sent back to England for more supplies but would not return that year. With the influx of new settlers, but without the supplies meant to sustain them, that winter at Jamestown was a tragic one. Known now as the 'Starving Time' most of the colonists in Jamestown did not survive to see Spring. Come May 1610 only about 60 people, out of 340, remained alive in Jamestown, Joane and her mother were among them. May 23 1610, saw the arrival of unexpected vessels in Jamestown, the Deliverance and the Patience. Aboard miraculously was Joane's father William Pierce (her future husband John Rolfe as well). The Sea Venture had been lost but everyone aboard had made it ashore in Bermuda, built new vessels from the wreckage of the Sea Venture, and now arrived in their original destination with limited supplies from the tropical Island. Shortly thereafter Thomas West, Lord De La Warr, the new governor, arrived with supplies enough to save the struggling colony. While in Bermuda Joane's father had become close with John Rolfe and they established plantations adjacent to each other.
In 1620 Joane Pierce married John Rolfe in Jamestown. John was twice widowed, his 1st wife Sarah had died in Bermuda after the shipwreck, along with their baby daughter. His 2nd wife Pocahontas (Rebecca Rolfe) had died in 1617 in England, and his baby son left there because he was too sick to travel. John Rolfe and Joane Pierce Rolfe had one child:
- Elizabeth Rolfe born about 1621
John's son Thomas and baby Elizabeth are both named in John's will dated March 10, 1621/22. John died shortly thereafter and Joane's father was appointed guardian of the two children and executor of his estate. Joane Pierce Rolfe was alive and well but as a woman she was not lawfully able to hold title to property in her own right.
On March 22, 1622 the Powhatan Indians attacked the entire Virginia Colony en-mass, in an attempt to drive the English from their territory. Known as the 'Jamestown Massacre' 347 colonists were killed. Luckily, Samuel Jordan of Jordan's Journey received warning of the pending attack and was able to warn many of his neighbors. The Rolfe's plantation of Varina was next to Jordan's Journey. Jordan had fortified his plantation and was able to gather many of his neighbors behind the safety of it's walls before the attack. It is unclear if Joane, baby Elizabeth and her parents were among those who rode out the attack at Jordan's Journey or not but it is highly likely that they did. Samuel Jordan was not just a neighbor of the Rolfe's and Pierce's but also a survivor of the wreck of the Sea Venture and a trusted family friend. It was not safe to return to their own plantation's and on February 16, 1623 Captain William Pierce, Joan Pierce, Elizabeth Rolfe and the newly married Joane Pierce Rolfe SMITH are found living at West and Shirley Hundred Island with Joane's new husband Roger Smith. In the 'List of the Living and the Dead' they are recorded as: Capt. William Perce, Joan Perce, Capt. Roger Smith, Mrs. Smith, and Elizabeth Rolfe. Thanks to this document we know Joane and Roger Smith were married (in Virginia) before February 16, 1623. By 1625 they were found living in James City and had also established a 96 acre plantation at Archer's Hope. The Muster of 1625 shows living in the household of Captain Roger Smith his wife Mrs Joane Smith, Elizabeth Slater age 7, Elizabeth Rolfe age 4, Sarah Macock age 2, and 4 servants. Sarah Macock is a Jamestown orphan that Roger and Joane adopted, it is unknown their relationship with Elizabeth Slater. Sometime after 1625 Joane and Roger had 2 sons of their own:
- John Smith
- Francis Smith

For more about Joane Pierce Rolfe, see this link and others:
http://libertyletters.com/resources/jamestown/jane-pierce.php
MORE

Research Help (3)
Possible Missing Child
The last child was born 3 or more years before the mother turned 40.
Possible Missing Child
There is a gap of 3 or more years between the birth of one child and the next sibling.
Person May Have Another Spouse
There is no evidence of another marriage, but this person lived long enough after the last spouse passed away to marry again.
SHOW ALL

Search Records
FamilySearch
Ancestry
Findmypast
MyHeritage
Geneanet
Filae
Google

Notes (2)
ADD NOTE
1. VA Will Records, pp861-868: listed
1. VA Will Records, pp861-868: listed with dau Elizabeth in will of John Rolfe dated 10 MAR 1621 (OS); last name variously spelled Pierce, Perce, Peirce; went to VA in the "Blessing", summer of 1610 with her mother; m2 CPT Roger Smith.
Came on the ship, "Blessing" 1611 with h
Came on the ship, "Blessing" 1611 with her mother. Married ca. 1620(as his 3rd wife) the celebrated Capt. John Rolfe, who d. ca 1624.
SHOW ALL

Latest Changes
March 30, 2024
Relationship Deleted
By

L
lisaannetobey1
March 29, 2024
Relationship Changed
By

C
Christopher5028
March 22, 2024
Relationship Restored
By

A
AnnThomas51
SHOW ALL

Tools
My Layout Settings
Sources (12)
What's New?
Possible Duplicates (0)
Find Similar People
Merge By ID
Report Abuse
Delete Person
WHY CAN'T I DELETE THIS PERSON?
Print Options
About
Volunteer
Blog
Find Ancestors
Site Map
DNA
Solutions Gallery
Mobile Apps
Contact Us
COOKIE PREFERENCES
ENGLISH
FamilySearch Terms of Use (Updated 2023-09-01) | Privacy Notice (Updated 2021-04-06)
© 2024 by Intellectual Reserve, Inc. All rights reserved. A service provided by The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints
A service provided by The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints
Brief Life History
78 People Following • 169 Past Contributors

Joane Pierce was the daughter of Captain William Pierce and his wife Joan. Born in England between 1587 and 1595, she immigrated to the Colony of Virginia in 1609. Her exact date of birth and death are not known with certainty.
Joane sailed from England on June 2 1609 with her mother Joan Pierce aboard the ship 'Blessing'. Her father Captain William Pierce set sail at the same time aboard the newly christened flagship 'Sea Venture'. They were part of the ill fated 'Third Supply' to Jamestown. The fleet encountered a storm at sea and became separated from the Sea Venture. The Blessing arrived in Jamestown on August 11, 1609. The Sea Venture, with Joane's father aboard never arrived, lost to the storm with the majority of the supplies meant to restock Jamestown.
Joane and her mother did not have time to grieve the loss of William Pierce. With the loss of the supplies aboard the Sea Venture, Jamestown was in dire straights with out enough food to get the colony through the winter. The ships were sent back to England for more supplies but would not return that year. With the influx of new settlers, but without the supplies meant to sustain them, that winter at Jamestown was a tragic one. Known now as the 'Starving Time' most of the colonists in Jamestown did not survive to see Spring. Come May 1610 only about 60 people, out of 340, remained alive in Jamestown, Joane and her mother were among them. May 23 1610, saw the arrival of unexpected vessels in Jamestown, the Deliverance and the Patience. Aboard miraculously was Joane's father William Pierce (her future husband John Rolfe as well). The Sea Venture had been lost but everyone aboard had made it ashore in Bermuda, built new vessels from the wreckage of the Sea Venture, and now arrived in their original destination with limited supplies from the tropical Island. Shortly thereafter Thomas West, Lord De La Warr, the new governor, arrived with supplies enough to save the struggling colony. While in Bermuda Joane's father had become close with John Rolfe and they established plantations adjacent to each other.
In 1620 Joane Pierce married John Rolfe in Jamestown. John was twice widowed, his 1st wife Sarah had died in Bermuda after the shipwreck, along with their baby daughter. His 2nd wife Pocahontas (Rebecca Rolfe) had died in 1617 in England, and his baby son left there because he was too sick to travel. John Rolfe and Joane Pierce Rolfe had one child:
- Elizabeth Rolfe born about 1621
John's son Thomas and baby Elizabeth are both named in John's will dated March 10, 1621/22. John died shortly thereafter and Joane's father was appointed guardian of the two children and executor of his estate. Joane Pierce Rolfe was alive and well but as a woman she was not lawfully able to hold title to property in her own right.
On March 22, 1622 the Powhatan Indians attacked the entire Virginia Colony en-mass, in an attempt to drive the English from their territory. Known as the 'Jamestown Massacre' 347 colonists were killed. Luckily, Samuel Jordan of Jordan's Journey received warning of the pending attack and was able to warn many of his neighbors. The Rolfe's plantation of Varina was next to Jordan's Journey. Jordan had fortified his plantation and was able to gather many of his neighbors behind the safety of it's walls before the attack. It is unclear if Joane, baby Elizabeth and her parents were among those who rode out the attack at Jordan's Journey or not but it is highly likely that they did. Samuel Jordan was not just a neighbor of the Rolfe's and Pierce's but also a survivor of the wreck of the Sea Venture and a trusted family friend. It was not safe to return to their own plantation's and on February 16, 1623 Captain William Pierce, Joan Pierce, Elizabeth Rolfe and the newly married Joane Pierce Rolfe SMITH are found living at West and Shirley Hundred Island with Joane's new husband Roger Smith. In the 'List of the Living and the Dead' they are recorded as: Capt. William Perce, Joan Perce, Capt. Roger Smith, Mrs. Smith, and Elizabeth Rolfe. Thanks to this document we know Joane and Roger Smith were married (in Virginia) before February 16, 1623. By 1625 they were found living in James City and had also established a 96 acre plantation at Archer's Hope. The Muster of 1625 shows living in the household of Captain Roger Smith his wife Mrs Joane Smith, Elizabeth Slater age 7, Elizabeth Rolfe age 4, Sarah Macock age 2, and 4 servants. Sarah Macock is a Jamestown orphan that Roger and Joane adopted, it is unknown their relationship with Elizabeth Slater. Sometime after 1625 Joane and Roger had 2 sons of their own:
- John Smith
- Francis Smith

Joane and John Rolfe owned the very first commercial tobacco farm.

I had a large number of ancestors in Jamestown and you likely do too, because they intermarried a lot. Cassius Clay, AKA Muhammad Ali, is a cousin of ours.

Keith

Re: New Interesting Genealogy Connection... [Re: waggler] #8114754
04/05/24 06:28 AM
04/05/24 06:28 AM
Champaign County, Ohio.
K
KeithC Offline
trapper
KeithC  Offline
trapper
K

Champaign County, Ohio.
Originally Posted by waggler
My only claim to fame is a relative who invented the screw propeller. A long dead Swede.

Johan Ericsson who is John Ericsson on www.familysearch.org is:

John Ericsson
Male
31 July 1803 – 8 March 1889
•
MDNQ-2ZR

If you make a free account, you can see how you are related.

Keith

Re: New Interesting Genealogy Connection... [Re: Actor] #8114772
04/05/24 07:07 AM
04/05/24 07:07 AM
WI
M
Mando Offline
trapper
Mando  Offline
trapper
M

WI
I don't know anything about far past relatives, but I did stay in a holiday in last night.

Re: New Interesting Genealogy Connection... [Re: Actor] #8114827
04/05/24 09:06 AM
04/05/24 09:06 AM
MD
D
DaveP Offline
trapper
DaveP  Offline
trapper
D

MD
Knew somebody who.was REALLY into geneology/ their family tree.
Impeccably researched, painstakingly detailed, related to a veritable Who's Who of famous folks.

I'd always ask, How can you be SURE?

Then when DNA testing became commonplace, she had it done.

Never heard another peep from her.

A family member clued me in, her results were VERY different from her expectations/ belief...

Re: New Interesting Genealogy Connection... [Re: Actor] #8114870
04/05/24 10:11 AM
04/05/24 10:11 AM
Northern Minnesota
BernieB. Offline
trapper
BernieB.  Offline
trapper

Northern Minnesota
I am also related to Daniel Boone although I couldn't tell you the connections off the top of my head. I have a book about it somewhere.

Interestingly most people do not know about the connection between Daniel Boone and President Lincoln. Daniel Boone's cousin (His father's brother's daughter) married Abraham Lincoln, the grandfather of president Abraham Lincoln.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread