Strictly Trapping

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Trading Post
(Please support F&T Trading Post, our sponsor for the Trapping Only Forum)

TrappersPost
Please support Trappers post, a sponsor of the Strictly Trapping Forum

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Canines, how careful do you need to be [Re: Mac] #7230340
03/29/21 09:31 PM
03/29/21 09:31 PM
Idaho
B
bearcat2 Offline
trapper
bearcat2  Offline
trapper
B

Idaho
I use my bait/lure gloves to make remakes, but yes I wear the same boots the whole time. It boils down to I don't want them smelling or paying attention to the trap, the rest of it I'm not as concerned with. So I try and be careful about keeping my clean gloves clean. I've seen guys carry two sifters, one for new sets and one for remakes. Too much hassle and equipment for me, most of my trapping is off fourwheeler or snowmachine, so a little more premium on space than if I was out of a truck. I don't sift bloody dirt when making a remake, I either use clean waxed dirt, dirt I pick up away from the catch circle, or simply cover by hand with duff, needles, grass etc. Honestly a lot of my sets are in snow, so I either let them snow over if it is snowing or supposed to, or failing that lightly drift some snow over with a shovel. Sifted or handled snow freezes, sometimes not as bad if you carefully skim up some with a shovel and then slide it off on the trap, but letting it snow over naturally is the ideal.

Re: Canines, how careful do you need to be [Re: bearcat2] #7230397
03/29/21 10:14 PM
03/29/21 10:14 PM
Flint, Michigan
bhugo Offline
trapper
bhugo  Offline
trapper

Flint, Michigan
Originally Posted by bearcat2
I use my bait/lure gloves to make remakes, but yes I wear the same boots the whole time. It boils down to I don't want them smelling or paying attention to the trap, the rest of it I'm not as concerned with. So I try and be careful about keeping my clean gloves clean. I've seen guys carry two sifters, one for new sets and one for remakes. Too much hassle and equipment for me, most of my trapping is off fourwheeler or snowmachine, so a little more premium on space than if I was out of a truck. I don't sift bloody dirt when making a remake, I either use clean waxed dirt, dirt I pick up away from the catch circle, or simply cover by hand with duff, needles, grass etc. Honestly a lot of my sets are in snow, so I either let them snow over if it is snowing or supposed to, or failing that lightly drift some snow over with a shovel. Sifted or handled snow freezes, sometimes not as bad if you carefully skim up some with a shovel and then slide it off on the trap, but letting it snow over naturally is the ideal.

Same here. Gloves for lure and remakes and gloves for clean sets. It’s not hard to keep the trap clean. I also use clean waxed dirt for remakes. It seems silly to dirty up the sifter with remake dirt and then make clean flat sets all blended in with them.

Member MTPCA, FTA and NTA
Re: Canines, how careful do you need to be [Re: bearcat2] #7230419
03/29/21 10:38 PM
03/29/21 10:38 PM
South Texas Brush Country
TEJAS Offline
trapper
TEJAS  Offline
trapper

South Texas Brush Country

Originally Posted by bearcat2
It boils down to I don't want them smelling or paying attention to the trap, the rest of it I'm not as concerned with.

This snip from BC2’s post sums up MChewk’s question well.

I don’t pull a dirty trap and stick it in clean ground. I wouldn’t use the same set of gloves I just used to pull a big stinking male out of a catch circle and remake the set only to turn around and bed a clean trap with those same gloves at a new location. To me that would be akin to hitting a clean trap with urine then bedding it in fresh ground.

I use clean gloves and a tarp on every new set

Boots that have been in the catch circle are on a tarp at new sets. The same goes for the kneeling pad.

On remakes I use dirty gloves & a kneeling pad only.

In the end reducing your scent kills more coyotes and teaches less of them.

Educating coyotes drives me crazy; not taking a few extra measures to catch them.

Re: Canines, how careful do you need to be [Re: MChewk] #7230439
03/29/21 10:58 PM
03/29/21 10:58 PM
nwpa
F
furstroker Offline
trapper
furstroker  Offline
trapper
F

nwpa
Originally Posted by MChewk
Good post Mac
I’ll throw this out for thought...around here it seems to depend on the overall population.
Example...when we had coyotes literally every where...I often checked sets at lunch wearing my
school contaminated shoes and clothing and caught coyotes after making remakes in that wardrobe.
That same year remake sets caught lots of doubles and triples. This year coyote population was sparse
and it seemed that the coyote was on edge. I had to use setting cloth and ultra clean traps. About that...
I usually clean up my gear by knocking the crud off then snapping my trap off and clean out my spring holes. If the trap made a catch or shows rust bad it gets washed down and then dipped in PBTD.
If the trap didn’t make catch or is fairly clean I just wire brush it off and adjust pan tension and put it in the
trap storage box. I caught a hundred twice using these methods with very few issues.
Just my thoughts...

Strong point here. Lower populations will, on the whole, be more
sketchy with approaching anything not top-notch natural. More numbers, more chance-takers and more trap dancers.
More numbers equals more stupidity and more sets worked.
Just look to the cities and their folk. More folks=more stupidity.
They see a foot locker broke open and it's on, meanwhile a broken window in a less populated area gets the attention it needs, which isnt from the yotes or burglars.

Last edited by furstroker; 03/29/21 11:00 PM.
Re: Canines, how careful do you need to be [Re: Mac] #7230477
03/30/21 12:00 AM
03/30/21 12:00 AM
montana
R
red mt Offline
trapper
red mt  Offline
trapper
R

montana
Like john ,only reason is I like to stay dry .

Kenneth schoening
Re: Canines, how careful do you need to be [Re: Mac] #7230749
03/30/21 12:09 PM
03/30/21 12:09 PM
NY
R
rendezvous Offline
trapper
rendezvous  Offline
trapper
R

NY
I use rubber boots and a kneeling pad for scent control and comfort. Rubber gloves for handle the traps and setting equipment. Cotton gloves for handling bait, lure and urine. Not paranoid but obsessive in keeping traps and setting equipment separate from bait, lures and urine. I do wash all my trapping clothes in scent-eliminating detergent also...

With that all said, years ago I had a well accomplished trapper show me he could take a brand new trap right off the self, set it with his bare hands and catch a fox.

And with that... I still remain "obsessive" with scent control.

Last edited by rendezvous; 03/31/21 11:23 AM.

Let's go Brandon!
Re: Canines, how careful do you need to be [Re: Mac] #7230778
03/30/21 01:09 PM
03/30/21 01:09 PM
MN
W
walleye101 Offline
trapper
walleye101  Offline
trapper
W

MN
I find it interesting how some say they don't worry about scent control but they get in and out as fast as they can, which is the best method of scent control.

Re: Canines, how careful do you need to be [Re: walleye101] #7230859
03/30/21 02:57 PM
03/30/21 02:57 PM
Nebraska
WadeRyan Offline
trapper
WadeRyan  Offline
trapper

Nebraska
Originally Posted by walleye101
I find it interesting how some say they don't worry about scent control but they get in and out as fast as they can, which is the best method of scent control.

It also comes down to speed and efficiency. More traps in the ground. More miles. More animals. If you’re messing around with switching boots, changing gloves, deciding which bag to pull out of your truck, etc. you’ve already lost half the battle.

If a guy only sets 6 traps a day how many coyotes can he catch? I prefer to keep things very simple and fast. Repetition. People that have trapped along side me are blown away how many go in the ground in a day. They can’t catch anything in the back of the truck and that’s a cold hard fact.

Last edited by WadeRyan; 03/30/21 02:59 PM.

Follow me on YouTube if you’re bored

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5Ulx1woYMmCN3IPLB0wwFw

Re: Canines, how careful do you need to be [Re: Mac] #7230930
03/30/21 04:38 PM
03/30/21 04:38 PM
SD
Boone Liane Offline
trapper
Boone Liane  Offline
trapper

SD
Human intrusion is ALWAYS on my radar.

It’s not just scent. Sound pollution, sight.

Coyote population.

Time of year and age of coyote population (an October “pup” and February “pup” are different animals).

Level of exploitation to that population are all important factors as well.

Long and short of it, I don’t care if you have dumbest, most naive, overpopulated hyper competitive young coyotes on the planet, or the most savvy, ultra educated, super exploited old aged coyotes out there. Using common sense measure to minimize human disturbance is NEVER a bad thing.

Re: Canines, how careful do you need to be [Re: Mac] #7231392
03/30/21 10:32 PM
03/30/21 10:32 PM
Hot Springs SD
L
Larry Bowden Offline
trapper
Larry Bowden  Offline
trapper
L

Hot Springs SD
I once heard the comment that " A trapper can make lots of mistakes but a coyote is only allowed one".
Food for thought.

Western SD Fur Harvesters, SDTA, NTA, FTA and life member of NRA. Cancer survivor (7 years) and still fighting it.
Re: Canines, how careful do you need to be [Re: Larry Bowden] #7231583
03/31/21 05:46 AM
03/31/21 05:46 AM
Maine
M
Mac Offline OP
trapper
Mac  Offline OP
trapper
M

Maine
Lots of great posts.
Mac

Re: Canines, how careful do you need to be [Re: Mac] #7231835
03/31/21 12:43 PM
03/31/21 12:43 PM
N.E. Nebr
L
LDW Offline
trapper
LDW  Offline
trapper
L

N.E. Nebr
I use gloves just to protect my hands. Wear a different pair for baiting, mainly so I'm not getting it on my hands and the steering wheel of my buggy. I wear chaps to protect from wet ground, but still use a kneeling pad because of old wore out knees. Instructors that I've worked with have absolutely no regard for scent control. One of them catches 700+ coyotes a year.

Re: Canines, how careful do you need to be [Re: Mac] #7231930
03/31/21 03:25 PM
03/31/21 03:25 PM
new york
H
henpecked1 Offline
trapper
henpecked1  Offline
trapper
H

new york
MAC, you and I have talked before about K9 and ODOR. I have used drop cloths in AZ/NM, and like them and in my opinion were of value, same as gloves. As I have gotten older i believe every tool has/had its place on the line. I think the real key is that trapper education as evolved to where most trappers are properly bedding a trap and can apply bait/lure so there are less educated (exposed) animals to poorly made and contaminated sets and patterns. This creates opportunity to test boundries as to what attracts or repels an animal. I have spent more time on scent/odor dispersal and attractant than any other item. In particular getting odor molecules into the wind at a consistent rate. I have noticed no different reactions when wearing sneakers, boots, hip boots, same with gloves and bare hands. i have been using honey based bait as everyone likes sugar, the question has to do with consistent distribution of the odor and how to heat the product. it goes back to LEWIS ECKART and the smokers, Johnny Thorpe was on to it and rightly so. Same goes for the water line, the fact that the water has a more consistent temperature helps. One interesting item is the coyotes like to steel my holders and my best set produced seven reds in two weeks. Take care my friend and will keep you posted
Jim

Re: Canines, how careful do you need to be [Re: henpecked1] #7231954
03/31/21 04:05 PM
03/31/21 04:05 PM
Maine
M
Mac Offline OP
trapper
Mac  Offline OP
trapper
M

Maine
Thanks for all the great posts. Jim I will give you a holler soon.
Boone, I like your post about "Human intrusion is ALWAYS on my radar."

TEJAS , like your thoughts about keeping the trap clean and about new sets.

I am older than dirt. When I started out if you caught a fox in a dragged trap, you took that trap back to the boiler.
I have listened to guys on some videos say they take the dragged trap and put it back. It just does not make sense to me.

Lots of great posts.

Mac

Re: Canines, how careful do you need to be [Re: Mac] #7232026
03/31/21 06:02 PM
03/31/21 06:02 PM
montana
R
red mt Offline
trapper
red mt  Offline
trapper
R

montana
Originally Posted by Mac
Thanks for all the great posts. Jim I will give you a holler soon.
Boone, I like your post about "Human intrusion is ALWAYS on my radar."

TEJAS , like your thoughts about keeping the trap clean and about new sets.

I am older than dirt. When I started out if you caught a fox in a dragged trap, you took that trap back to the boiler.
I have listened to guys on some videos say they take the dragged trap and put it back. It just does not make sense to me.

Lots of great posts.

Mac

Imo a drag is to preserve set location,,, but remakes really shine some places some of the time that's a reason to stake some of the time.

Kenneth schoening
Re: Canines, how careful do you need to be [Re: Mac] #7232152
03/31/21 08:34 PM
03/31/21 08:34 PM
Frazee, MN
B
backroadsarcher Offline
trapper
backroadsarcher  Offline
trapper
B

Frazee, MN
Chore gloves to set and I wear hip boots to set. I usually have sets for different species from canines to beaver all in the same area.

Re: Canines, how careful do you need to be [Re: Mac] #7234903
04/04/21 12:16 PM
04/04/21 12:16 PM
alabama
steeltraps Offline
trapper
steeltraps  Offline
trapper

alabama
Caught this one early this morning. Had to get at it early so i could be home for easter lunch! LoL! Wore gloves to makes set. Different glove to apply urine and lure on flat set. Most importantly I used tarp First night catch. Set trap at 645 pm. Sun down is 630 pm so last set of the day. Was their on this = bald hill at 5 50 am. So less than 12 hrs. Does sent matter??? Well ? Sometimes it does. Some places it Really does. Does it give me more first night catches?? My notes say = YES !

DD6957E7-EFDC-4809-B562-67021F2F82AE.jpeg
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  Drifter, Wolfdog91