No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: New truck. Prices coming down or staying outrageou [Re: Norwestalta] #7731661
12/01/22 12:27 PM
12/01/22 12:27 PM
North East Kansas
Marty Offline
trapper
Marty  Offline
trapper

North East Kansas
things are not good, 18 good eggs were $5, now $8. Thanks to all the lib voters/fraudsters. Who in their right mind who vote for more of what is going on?

E
'Honey Badger Militia'
Sleep, the anti woke adote.
Re: New truck. Prices coming down or staying outrageou [Re: Norwestalta] #7731665
12/01/22 12:29 PM
12/01/22 12:29 PM
williamsburg ks
D
danny clifton Offline
"Grumpy Old Man"
danny clifton  Offline
"Grumpy Old Man"
D

williamsburg ks
Trump signed off on stimulus first.

Those who would give up essential liberty, to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790)
Re: New truck. Prices coming down or staying outrageou [Re: Rat Masterson] #7731670
12/01/22 12:41 PM
12/01/22 12:41 PM
Indiana
P
Providence Farm Offline
trapper
Providence Farm  Offline
trapper
P

Indiana
Originally Posted by Rat Masterson
Credit card debt is at an all time high as people are living beyond there means. What happens when unemployment goes to 8 % as people get laid off? Finally starting to see incentives on new vehicles as more are available. I think prices will come down but it will be a while. I feel like the oracle from Kentucky.

The mx 5400 Kubota I was looking to buy with 7' bush hog and pallas forks. Is now 12k more for just the tractor than I could buy everything for a year and half ago. I didn't buy because I was also waiting on a land deal that fell through.

I figured I can wait untill the reason/depression hits and no one is buying. Then prices and the incentives should come back full force. I can determine by with the old tractor just fine tell them.

I wonder how the banks will handle so many homes that are over valued on their books when the foreclosures start. Then multiple that with those spending 50- 100k on vehicles and financing them for 8 to 10 years.

When people can't afford the payments and are not buying the new ones the prices on new will have to come down. Then those with loans for more than the vehicles are worth will be upside down as well.

Of course it's a gamble things could always go up more. But that tractor I have has been working since 1965 so I guess I can gamble on it. Infact I would bet that my old tractor will out last any of the new ones I could buy today.

Re: New truck. Prices coming down or staying outrageou [Re: BernieB.] #7731702
12/01/22 01:21 PM
12/01/22 01:21 PM
South metro, MN
C
Calvin Offline
trapper
Calvin  Offline
trapper
C

South metro, MN
Originally Posted by BernieB.
People like me are taking a real beating with these truck prices.

I have never owned a new vehicle and have not made a car payment since 1985. I've found the best way to have a nice, reliable truck is to buy for cash every few years. I put money away regularly for when I will need a new truck, then when it's time, I find a good deal on a reliable used truck and cash money talks, believe me. I look for pickups about 5-7 years old with about 90,000 or so on them. I drive them up to about 275k or so (I put on an average of 35k a year), then sell it and buy another. I have been doing this for about 30 years.

The cost of doing this keeps going up, which is natural, but the last truck I bought 4 years ago was a XLT Lariat with 91K I paid $15,000 for. It now has 233K on it so I'll be looking again in about a year. Suddenly, instead of $15k to buy, I am looking at probably $30-40k for a nice truck that's about 5 years old with less than 100k miles. That's a huge jump!

I'm in a good spot right now because I sold one of my small businesses recently and I could go purchase a new truck for cash, but I just can't bring myself to do it. The thought of putting $60-70k into something that depreciates goes against my entire lifestyle. Making payments on one is even worse. Even $30-$40k for used makes me sick. Plus I use a truck as a truck, so I can't be worried about door dings. My truck is in the woods.

Not sure how the next year or so will play out. Maybe I should get a truck for the bush and everyday driving, and then a nice one that I can put a lot less miles on and keep it for a lot longer. Not sure. Suggestions?

If you are putting that many miles on a vehicle (as I am, also) you are shooting yourself in the foot by not buying a commuter car. The car ends up being free in the end and you save the miles on the truck for resale. I drive my trucks for 5, maybe 6 years and sell them with less than 75K on them. Everyone wants a used truck with less than 75 K, They still have good value. 275K..they don't.

Just a thought.

Re: New truck. Prices coming down or staying outrageou [Re: Calvin] #7731708
12/01/22 01:25 PM
12/01/22 01:25 PM
Northern Minnesota
BernieB. Offline
trapper
BernieB.  Offline
trapper

Northern Minnesota
Originally Posted by Calvin

I have never owned a new vehicle and have not made a car payment since 1985. I've found the best way to have a nice, reliable truck is to buy for cash every few years. I put money away regularly for when I will need a new truck, then when it's time, I find a good deal on a reliable used truck and cash money talks, believe me. I look for pickups about 5-7 years old with about 90,000 or so on them. I drive them up to about 275k or so (I put on an average of 35k a year), then sell it and buy another. I have been doing this for about 30 years.

The cost of doing this keeps going up, which is natural, but the last truck I bought 4 years ago was a XLT Lariat with 91K I paid $15,000 for. It now has 233K on it so I'll be looking again in about a year. Suddenly, instead of $15k to buy, I am looking at probably $30-40k for a nice truck that's about 5 years old with less than 100k miles. That's a huge jump!

I'm in a good spot right now because I sold one of my small businesses recently and I could go purchase a new truck for cash, but I just can't bring myself to do it. The thought of putting $60-70k into something that depreciates goes against my entire lifestyle. Making payments on one is even worse. Even $30-$40k for used makes me sick. Plus I use a truck as a truck, so I can't be worried about door dings. My truck is in the woods.

Not sure how the next year or so will play out. Maybe I should get a truck for the bush and everyday driving, and then a nice one that I can put a lot less miles on and keep it for a lot longer. Not sure. Suggestions?

If you are putting that many miles on a vehicle (as I am, also) you are shooting yourself in the foot by not buying a commuter car. The car ends up being free in the end and you save the miles on the truck for resale. I drive my trucks for 5, maybe 6 years and sell them with less than 75K on them. Everyone wants a used truck with less than 75 K, They still have good value. 275K..they don't.

Just a thought.

I hear you but that doesn't work for me. You can't haul treestands, bear bait, or pull a boat and other trailers with a commuter car. I have a truck because unlike most truck owners I actually need a truck. At 275k A truck doesn't have much value but it doesn't owe me anything and whatever I get is a bonus that goes towards the next one.

My commute is walking from the house to the truck. L:OL

Re: New truck. Prices coming down or staying outrageou [Re: Norwestalta] #7736849
12/07/22 11:14 AM
12/07/22 11:14 AM
Alberta
N
Norwestalta Offline OP
trapper
Norwestalta  Offline OP
trapper
N

Alberta
So if I order today my fruck will be here maybe in August. I haven't pulled the pin yet and ordered but I did hear that the 2023 might be coming out with a Allison Trans. Lots to ponder.

Re: New truck. Prices coming down or staying outrageou [Re: BernieB.] #7736916
12/07/22 01:06 PM
12/07/22 01:06 PM
sometimes PA sometimes ME
E
ebsurveyor Offline
trapper
ebsurveyor  Offline
trapper
E

sometimes PA sometimes ME

I have been taking a different approach. I bought my first new truck in 1977 and have bought a bunch of new ones since then. The old me would buy new and trade or sell it @ 200,000 miles. Starting in 2018 i have taken a different approach. In 2018 I bought a new 2018 crew cab 4x4. Thirty some thousand miles later when the warranty ran out i traded it on a 2021. the 2021 got a stuck lifter and i traded it @ 7,500 miles on a new 2021. The newest 2021, after 10 months, has 20,000 miles on it. In about 10 months @ 36,000 miles i will shop for a new truck. The cost for me to always ride in a newer low mileage truck is a lot less than you might think. I would post the numbers, but most wouldn't believe them. Don' t knock it if you haven't tried it. My only operational costs are gas, oil changes & tire rotations. This might not be for you if you have to pay finance charges. For me the least costly vehicle expense is buying new.

Last edited by ebsurveyor; 12/07/22 01:51 PM.
Re: New truck. Prices coming down or staying outrageou [Re: Calvin] #7736921
12/07/22 01:21 PM
12/07/22 01:21 PM
AK / ND
A
aknome Offline
trapper
aknome  Offline
trapper
A

AK / ND

"That said, the new trucks are garbage compared to the older trucks. I wish they still made new older style trucks. Most guys in Alaska who live OUT won't buy a new truck (they are unreliable and can't be fixed on the side of the road). They fly down to the southern states and buy 25 year old trucks and have them rebuilt."

Not sure where you get your information. Alaskans drive pretty much whatever they can afford. Lots of new trucks in Nome every year. When you're paying $5000 + for shipping, you're not bringing in a junker. I've owned 6 trucks, the first was an old Trooper truck, the next one brand new from Anchorage, the rest used but under 20 thousand miles. I don't know of a single "in need of rebuilding" truck purchased in the lower 48 that was brought to Nome. I recently sold a 2015 1/2 ton Chevy in Nome with 70 thousand on it for $35K.
My brother who lives on the road system buys used trucks s well, but not ones needing rebuilding.

Re: New truck. Prices coming down or staying outrageou [Re: Norwestalta] #7736923
12/07/22 01:30 PM
12/07/22 01:30 PM
North Pole ak
T
Team V Offline
trapper
Team V  Offline
trapper
T

North Pole ak
Bernie I have 3 trucks . 2 Toyota’s a 93 and 94 I use for hunting trapping daily drivers around town and traveling to trap and bear bait . I have rebuilt Both and installed motor in one and cheap to run . I also have a 2004 f150 crew cab that is nice . All we use the Ford for is road trips and occasionally towing the boat. My suggestion get you a old beater with a heater for your daily stuff and a nice one for your travels. None Of my vehicle accumulate many miles because it is broken down among three . Have found doing this makes my nicer vehicle last longer.

For example my 93 Toyota was purchased for $900 and a new motor and clutch ran me $1650 and now has 12000 miles on it in 3 years and runs great . Plus insurance is only $105 every 6 months. I have not put more then 10,000 miles on Ford in 3 years . Just my thoughts .

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread